color
clarity

at what size would you switch to a CS

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1405882524|3717170 said:
Acinom|1405794274|3716656 said:
Enjoying the discussions on this thread!
Thanks for mentioning my CS ring Arkie.

If I would start over with a fixed budget I would choose a diamond because of the timelessness and because it's mind clean in terms of Mohs hardness...
But a ruby (which will be more expensive), sapphire or other beautiful stone is equally stunning to my eyes and not at all inferior to diamonds.

...and because you already have one the world's most beautiful Paraiba tourmaline rings ever!

Aww, thank you for liking my Paraiba with window :twisted:
I have a preference for the unconventional/ non ideal.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you minousbijoux for your kind comments about my alex ring.

I wholeheartedly agree with what you stated about the CS forum as well. I actually largely stayed away from CS for awhile as well as it seemed so many threads contained somewhat elitist critique (tone-wise) on others' stones. It makes it seem that these less than perfect CSs are not worth anything. And what's sad is, not everyone can afford top grade or maybe they (like me & my alex) see beauty in the less than trade-ideal CS.

There was kind of one of these threads just today, and I gotta say, one of the last posts in that thread was probably enough for me to never go back to CS, and from a respected PSr at that. A couple ppl commented about the tone of comments, and this post just ... I don't know ... basically came across like it's okay to be a crap head to those with less than ideal stones. It really just struck me as very elitist and ignorant, and in complete contradiction to the spirit of PS. If that were the fist post I read on PS, I would run (not walk) to a mall store.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not sure what I would have done if the ering budget had been $300. I think I would have urged my boyfriend to save longer :devil: which is what he did, and in the end we had a $1000 budget and we got a sapphire from a local dealer. I know nothing about it other than the fact that is it a sapphire! But this was pre-PS. At the time I did not want a diamond because I was under the impression that they were all BLOOD DIAMONDS! So we got a sapphire. Now that I know more about diamonds, I like to "recycle" by purchasing estate diamond. Though I love the look of coloured gems, I would always pick a diamond for an ering because it is where my heart lies.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1405882080|3717164 said:
TL|1405655955|3715583 said:
Gypsy|1405653675|3715563 said:
Thank you Ella for the information. That said, with lower traffic and far fewer newbies on CS than RT, I'm not exactly surprised.

TL, here's my thread. The start of it was my own fault, because I was being coy and asking for comments. Which you can do on RT, but I realized quickly was not a good idea on CS. I did step in and curb that about the color, and I was very firm that I had done my homework. And once everyone got that, it went fine. And honestly, in retrospect and re-reading it now, it was more helpful than not. But I still remember feeling very deflated by the post and I actually sold the stone as a result instead o f keeping it. Some of that had to do with setting issues. But some of it also had to do with how my feelings about the stone changed as a result of the post.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jeff-white-3-carat-gia-unheated-sapphire.172530/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jeff-white-3-carat-gia-unheated-sapphire.172530/[/URL]

Thank you for the further explanation. I can understand perhaps feeling deflated by what people said, however, I had thought the stone was being considered before purchasing or in the return period since you were debating whether to keep it or not. Usually, in those cases, before purchase, I have noticed that CS'ers are a bit more honest and perhaps more curt sounding in their opinions, in order to help people avoid a potentially regretful purchase. I'm sorry you felt put off, and you had to eventually sell the stone. :((

I thought this as well, TL. I like to think that if someone comes to CS asking for opinions on a prospective stone seriously being considered for purchase, then people are honest in pointing out any drawbacks to the stone to make sure the OP is aware of them. BUT if the stone has already been purchased, I *thought* that as a board, respondents toned it down and gave a more balanced view and tried to draw out from the OP what they wanted and whether the stone was a good match for that; I feel like there is a lot of "If YOU love the stone, then it is the perfect stone for you" kind of comments. The treatment of newcomers (actually any OP asking for opinions) on CS is something that is periodically discussed and I honestly thought things were better recently...?

Well, Minous, in CS, you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't. I may be harsh at some point or another, I freely admit it, but the advice in CS is free. People can accept it or not, it's their money. I am no longer commenting on threads where people ask for opinions on the stones they buy, even if they ask for HONEST opinions. I may not even reply on stones that people are even considering. I enjoy the CS forum because there are many people there that share my love of the hobby, but at some point, it's not worth the aggravation and disparaging comments. It's really frustrating, you can't win, even if you're trying to help people. I have been a collector of gems for 20+ years, and have seen every scam in the book, and I do try to impart some of that experience to help others, so they don't have to go through what I went through. If it sounds annoying, elitist, etc. . . it was not done with malicious intent.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
My original ering from Kay's was similar to the ones Gypsy posted. I'd never seen anyone w/a CS for an ering at that time. Well..Princess Di, but she was a princess so I never thought to do anything other than a diamond.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
As one who mostly has a teeny tiny budget I want to say that I've felt there is much space on CS for personal preference and budget. I understand and honor the opposite experiences, at the same time as I want to share mine. When I was sad over my included strong blue with some grey aquamarine which I loved, that got trashed by my jeweler, the responses were supportive and warm. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/heart-of-water-spinelbracelet-and-aqua-ring.125660/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/heart-of-water-spinelbracelet-and-aqua-ring.125660/[/URL] This was a two hundred dollar stone in a hundred dollar silver setting. Still, it was taken seriously as it was. This is just one of the positive experiences I've had, although I post rarely.

I know, for myself, that budget restrictions are frustrating, because they force discernment, compromise, hard choices. Maybe this is something that signifies the collecting of colored gemstones and as a small part affects the CS forum? That "perfect" is almost unattainable for most of us and no colored gemstone is ever perfect in all ways and all lighting conditions? This is a disappointment that even the kindest communication can't erase.

I'm sorry for anyone who's felt unwelcome or scared of criticism on CS and will try to pay forward the kindness and acceptance for my choices that I've experienced there. :wavey: Despite the frustrations and limitations, colored stones are the most passion inducing, interesting, endlessly fascinating hobby I've ever had. Worth the learning curve. =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results