shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you have a jewelry budget each year?

Xzuix

Rough_Rock
Do you girls have a particular budget for jewelry each year? i.e. x amount each year.
Or do you just have that feeling "maybe it's time for a new piece".
I'm thinking of getting a piggy bank for jewelry so that each year or whenever I'm ready to open it I have the funds tangible and ready instead of breaking my bank account. Plus it is something to look forward to. It also forces you to choose within limit because I know each time I buy something I always go waaaay beyond my intended "budget".

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that is an excellent plan! :appl: I tend to dip into various money when I really want something, but I don't recommend that to anyone! Of course, I do use restraint because I still have a lot on my wish list!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to have a jewelry/bling fund and would contribute to it every month (just a separate savings account). But this year has been a little crazy, I could have bought a new luxury car with what I've spent thus far. Yikes.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jeniroquai|1405906380|3717323 said:
Do you girls have a particular budget for jewelry each year? i.e. x amount each year.
Or do you just have that feeling "maybe it's time for a new piece".
I'm thinking of getting a piggy bank for jewelry so that each year or whenever I'm ready to open it I have the funds tangible and ready instead of breaking my bank account. Plus it is something to look forward to. It also forces you to choose within limit because I know each time I buy something I always go waaaay beyond my intended "budget".
Jon (GOG) broke my piggy bank about six weeks ago.. ;(

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
What's a budget? :naughty:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did, however, I decided to put it towards a new tent for next year instead, as it would get a lot more use in the coming years.

Jewellery can wait.

DK :))

Xzuix

Rough_Rock
Ahaahahhahaa... this makes me laugh

texaskj|1405916623|3717377 said:
What's a budget? :naughty:

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Nope... But this year alone I have already managed to get two stacking bands, a reset for my OEC, a pair of diamond hoops and I have a pair of OEC studs in the works with Erica...

So next year might be a bit of a slim year on the bling front!

(although I really want one of Grace's Bezel bangles....)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not really. But I guess I do have a self imposed budget. And I came up with that number randomly because I thought it sounded reasonable. Sometimes I save up for a few occasions using that self imposed budget times the number of occasions (i.e. birthday, anniversary, holidays, valentine's day) and get a big piece. Though this year I am not planning on any major pieces due to my personal circumstances. It just doesn't feel right to be spending money right now. But I hope the future will bring happier, blingier, and most importantly healthier times.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Nope, my budget is usually whatever amount I can get away with before DH starts pulling out his hair. Haha. This year I did pretty well-2.21 OEC ring, .70 ctw OEC bezel bangle, .96 ctw OEC studs, and a few small OECs set aside for future projects. I think DH had just about reached his limit, it is time to buy him a few fun things. I think I am going to start a blingy piggy bank though, it will help keep me on budget and not tap into money that was aside for other purposes.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
armywife13|1405946170|3717513 said:
Nope, my budget is usually whatever amount I can get away with before DH starts pulling out his hair. Haha. This year I did pretty well-2.21 OEC ring, .70 ctw OEC bezel bangle, .96 ctw OEC studs, and a few small OECs set aside for future projects. I think DH had just about reached his limit, it is time to buy him a few fun things. I think I am going to start a blingy piggy bank though, it will help keep me on budget and not tap into money that was aside for other purposes.
What other purposes?... :confused: there are more important things than diamonds?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have a budget and I spend more than I should. I like the idea of a jewelry piggy bank. It would have to be bedazzled though. Ha ha.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a slush fund, separate from my savings, so I can spend it however I like. It's mainly for jewellery but I just blew it on a new violin last week. These little wooden things cost as much as a good sized diamond!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1405952118|3717583 said:
I have a slush fund, separate from my savings, so I can spend it however I like. It's mainly for jewellery but I just blew it on a new violin last week. These little wooden things cost as much as a good sized diamond!

Good for you Chrono. Music is something that moves one's soul and to be able to create beautiful music is a precious gift. One that is right up there (and perhaps exceeds since you are creating it yourself) with even the most beautiful of jewelry. As an aside my niece is just starting the violin and she is so excited. I hope she enjoys it as much as you do and it becomes something she loves and continues throughout her life. I miss playing the musical instruments I practiced through young adulthood and if I had the chance to do it all again I would not have stopped. I know it is never too late and perhaps one day I can make room in my life and begin again. Enjoy!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Missy. I hope when you feel better, you will consider picking up your instrument again. Violin is one of the hardest instruments for me but if your niece sticks with it, it is also one of the more rewarding instruments. Lots of encouragement to her on my behalf, please.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
vtigger86 said:
armywife13|1405946170|3717513 said:
What other purposes?... :confused: there are more important things than diamonds?
Things more important than diamonds, it is a crazy thought, right?! :o We have these pesky things to save for like a new family vehicle, college funds for the kiddos, a down payment for a house when DH retires from the Army....*sigh* Darn real life responsibilities, they are cramping my blingy style. ;-)

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Not specifically.
DH and I have a system where we each get to keep a certain (small) percentage of our income as "play" money. It works for us because it's fair and neither of us minds what the other spends their money on.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1405954509|3717603 said:
Thank you, Missy. I hope when you feel better, you will consider picking up your instrument again. Violin is one of the hardest instruments for me but if your niece sticks with it, it is also one of the more rewarding instruments. Lots of encouragement to her on my behalf, please.

Thank you Chrono. I will pass on your good wishes to my niece. She is so excited about starting the violin. I asked her what made her choose the violin and she said she just knew it was the one for her. LOL if only all of life's choices were so easy.

And I am seriously thinking about starting playing again but I so need lessons because I don't think I remember anything! I used to play the clarinet and piano and since we don't have a piano (my sister was the lucky one who took the piano from my parent's house) I would start with the clarinet. But I don't think I remember how to read music anymore it's been that long. Sad because I used to play first clarinet in the all boro band and we played at Carnegie Hall twice. Of course that was more than 30 years ago so really more than a lifetime ago...

ETA: Sorry for the threadjack jeniroquai!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results