shape
carat
color
clarity

HCA Score of 2.5 just ordered. Should I keep it?

evilstorm

Rough_Rock
So I ordered before I knew everything and i went with a .90 carat G VS2 ex ex ex. Figured that would be good. Then I read about HCA scores. The one I ordered for my soon to be (hopefully) fiancé is a 2.5.

Depth %:60.20
Girdle: Thin - Slightly Thick
Table %:60.00
L/W/D (mm): 6.28*6.26*3.77
Crown angle: 32.5
Pavilion angle: 41.2

I just ordered and could probably change it out..the question being, will it make that big of a difference?

Thanks very much in advance for any recommendations.

Thanks,

Tim

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's a 60/60 with a 41.2 pavillion angle that's RIGHT at the edge of not okay. https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/60-60-proportioned-diamond

GIA rounds so if your stone is a 41.18 it could be fine. If it is a 41.23 it won't be. So unless you can get an idealscope to evaluate the performance, for me it's too risky a purchase.

Also, the reason the stone was so reasonably priced is because of this. But we can maybe find you something nice instead of it.

What was your budget?

evilstorm

Rough_Rock
$6k. I bought it from james allen, so it would be easier to have them just switch out the diamond if at all possible, as I liked the setting there. Thanks!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post the link.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
let me see what else JA has...

evilstorm

Rough_Rock
Thanks to you both!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
they can send you an idealscope image. have them do so.

evilstorm

Rough_Rock
The request has been sent. Anything I should look for when they are received?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Best bet by the numbers:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.90-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-353748

Riskier, the crown angle is shallow and it may not be eyeclean, but you can get an idealscope image to see if the performance is impacted and you can ask the gemologist if it is eyeclean: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.90-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-262283

Ok. Well they have a great return policy.

Where are you located? Maybe we can find you an appraiser with an idealscope.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1405926896|3717419 said:

Hi Evilstorm and welcome!

It's actually a nice diamond, it's not cut to the flawless standards of the Superideals we routinely see here, but it depends on what you are looking for. Let's see what the Idealscope image shows when you have it.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1405927715|3717421 said:
Best bet by the numbers:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.90-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-353748

Riskier, the crown angle is shallow and it may not be eyeclean, but you can get an idealscope image to see if the performance is impacted and you can ask the gemologist if it is eyeclean: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.90-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-262283

Those are some wonderful choices Gypsy! I am lovin the 54 table on the second one. If it's eyeclean, that one would be my pick!

evilstorm

Rough_Rock
Best bet by the numbers:

Those both have good hca scores at a tad better price than i spent. I live in the suburbs of Chicago. I'm sure there are appraisers everywhere. I imagine I can ask JA to send me the images for any I may be interested in, too?

evilstorm

Rough_Rock
Lorelei|1405928191|3717424 said:

It's actually a nice diamond, it's not cut to the flawless standards of the Superideals we routinely see here, but it depends on what you are looking for. Let's see what the Idealscope image shows when you have it.
I am looking for as nice of a diamond I can get for that price. I'll sacrifice size for quality all day long. I did talk to a gemologist at JA and she recommended it and said it would be beautiful. When I looked at the HCA score, it made me question that and figured I would post as it is the most important purchase of my life.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
evilstorm|1405928715|3717431 said:

I am looking for as nice of a diamond I can get for that price. I'll sacrifice size for quality all day long. I did talk to a gemologist at JA and she recommended it and said it would be beautiful. When I looked at the HCA score, it made me question that and figured I would post as it is the most important purchase of my life.

Understood and you were wise to post it here. The IS image will tell us more plus you can consider some of Gypsy's selections in case you decide this diamond isn't the one. Is your 6k for the diamond only and do you prefer to stick to G+ and VS clarity?

evilstorm

Rough_Rock
Lorelei|1405929006|3717433 said:

Understood and you were wise to post it here. The IS image will tell us more plus you can consider some of Gypsy's selections in case you decide this diamond isn't the one. Is your 6k for the diamond only and do you prefer to stick to G+ and VS clarity?
Thanks! Very much appreciate everyone's help! $6k is for the diamond only. And no, I'd switch to any combo as long as it is white and eye clean.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
evilstorm|1405929336|3717434 said:
Lorelei|1405929006|3717433 said:

Thanks! Very much appreciate everyone's help! $6k is for the diamond only. And no, I'd switch to any combo as long as it is white and eye clean.

Thanks for that and no problem, I will see what else is out there that might suit you.

evilstorm

Rough_Rock
Best bet by the numbers:

Update. James allen reached out to me today. They said it would take longer to get an ideal scope than it would to ship the diamond, however he recommended going with 353748. I also went online and asked one of their experts to choose of those 3.( the one I chose, 353748 and 262283 and she also went with 353748. I'm leaning changing to that diamond outright. She said it would dance like a disco ball and that the picture on their site does not do it justice.

evilstorm

Rough_Rock
hearts-arrows_girl|1405928361|3717427 said:
Best bet by the numbers:

Those are some wonderful choices Gypsy! I am lovin the 54 table on the second one. If it's eyeclean, that one would be my pick!
Any reason you would pick the second over the first?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would go for the H VS. If they compared them side by side.... and she said 'discoball'... then go for that one. It does have the best and safest number. The second one's crown is just a hair low. I think the best choice is to do an outright switch.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Unless you are in a hurry, I would request the IS for all three stones and then make a decision. I know they are saying it is faster to ship the stone to you but is it still risk free for you? Or does it not matter because you already ordered that first stone.

evilstorm

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1406005693|3718091 said:
I would go for the H VS. If they compared them side by side.... and she said 'discoball'... then go for that one. It does have the best and safest number. The second one's crown is just a hair low. I think the best choice is to do an outright switch.
Gypsy, I incredibly appreciate your and everyone else's help!

evilstorm

Rough_Rock
Wanted to let you know I received the ring today. Amazing is all I can say. It is a FIC so it is a bit smaller than the typical .9, however it explodes with color. so far my bathroom lighting is the best for it. Disco ball is an understatement. Again, Thanks very much!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so happy for you! YAY! Please come back with pictures when it is set! We love handshots!

evilstorm

Rough_Rock
It is set. Now trying to finalize how I want to propose. The pics I took just don't do it justice. I will say tho, I've been paying attention to rings lately on other peeps and none I've seen even compare to the scintillation and color this thing is giving off!!

evilstorm

Rough_Rock
JA did send me an appraisal...do you think I should also get an independent appraisal?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
evilstorm|1407212812|3726252 said:
JA did send me an appraisal...do you think I should also get an independent appraisal?

Many congratulations on your purchase! The appraisal that came with the stone should be sufficient for insurance purposes -however-I think it's best to get a policy that will give you a cash payment should the worst happen, so you can replace your carefully chosen diamond with another of excellent cut, rather than be beholden to the choice of the insurance company who might not consider cut quality at all when offering you a replacement. Therefore, the more info you have on the cut and other qualities of the diamond, the better and an experienced independent appraiser can provide this, but it's a personal choice.

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OP, many congratulations to your selection, sounds like a real beauty!! I love fire, too. If you need an appraiser rec, I had very nice service from Heidi Harders, Chicago Gem and Jewelry Evaluation services. Call to make an appt. She has a loop office but often goes to different burbs on different days so just ask if there's a more convenient location for you. She charges $75 for a detailed appraisal. Good luck and I second hand shots!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results