shape
carat
color
clarity

'Blue' enough for me?

Just_Starting

Shiny_Rock
Obviously not going to be that easy to answer. I am very interested in the Brian Gavin Blue range after seeing some good comments on here about it. However most the diamonds I have picked only have medium blue fluorescence, if I am getting a blue I want to be able to see it often in the sunlight, will a medium do this? I've seen a fan made video on the Brian Gavin website of a medium blue fluorescence diamond, but it only appears to show much blue when stuck right next to something like a candle. The vast majority of the video I saw no blue (not all the lightning had UV but the part with sunlight through the window I was expecting it to be blue).

Also, I've heard that the blue is not as apparent in person as on camera. I do like the icy blue look that the medium n the video appeared to give, but it didn't seem to happen often. For anyone that hasn't seen it (I hope this isn't against any rules) here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lzkPLyqZVg if you're lazy skip to 1 min 40 and that's the look I want when in sunlight, I think stronger fluorescence would make that look happen more frequently however correct me if I am wrong.

For a bit of fun if you don't mind end your posts on this thread with either:
None
Faint
Medium
Strong
Very strong

To indicate what your preference is :). Assume no milky/hazy look when picking.

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Love that video! It's like diamond ****. I love Faint to Medium.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want as much fluor as a diamond can give me!!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love me some fluor - my D has strong blue, and I love it!

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Always glad to have another fan of fluor around!

As anyone who has looked at many of these stones will tell you, the cert grades of fluorescence vary widely.

I've seen GIA-rated 'Faint' stones that look more blue than some GIA-rated 'Strong' stones under UV light.

In addition to the 'amount' of fluorescence, there are also different 'flavors' of fluor. Some stones with fluor appear violet-blue while others appear almost white-blue, if that makes any sense. This is independent of the 'amount' of fluor. As a result, the permutations are almost endless!

It's tough to evaluate a stone with fluor remotely, but Brian Gavin gives you the best tools to evaluate fluor on a consumer-level website.

Now what happens when you turn off the UV light? Phosphorescence is a whole 'nother can of worms!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As long as there is no milkyness I think blues are really cool and would love to have a pair of earring studs. :love:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I have a BGD .55CT I VS2 Very Strong Blue as my pendant stone. I love it, it's very white and sparkly. I have tried to catch it looking blue in the sun but honestly haven't seen much because I'm looking in a mirror. There's a member on here, athenaworth with a strong or very strong blue MRB ring and she posted she cool pics of her stone looking blue in the sunlight. Very cool!

So yes I'm a fan of VSB :sun:

CanuckAB

Shiny_Rock
I have an E VS2 1ct ring with strong blue fluorescence and I LOVE looking at it outside. I find it very subtle though. No one has come up to me asking why it's blue so I think most people don't even notice it unless I point it out (to family/friends).

OECrystal

Shiny_Rock
Here is my AGS graded Very Strong Blue fluorescence in different lighting. :))

indoor
indoorlighting.jpg
direct sunlight
outdoorblue.jpg
UV light
uvlightblue.jpg

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
OECrystal, I love how your diamond's table facets look like hearts! Especially in your second photo.

OECrystal

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, luvdajules! I didn't notice the hearts before. I always thought it looked like a flower.

Just_Starting

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies everyone and I love those pics OECrystal so thanks for sharing them :).

Apologies for my slow reply, the day after I made this thread my dad/partner were in a bad car crash so i was in hospital etc with them (fortunately recovering ok so far). Stupid van driver switched lanes last minute and went into the back of them when they were completely stationary due to a motorway queue and the van was doing about 50mph (approx 80 km/h) and made no attempt to brake.

I think I'm going to wait for a strong/very strong diamond within my budget to come up, preferably within the E-H range.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa, that is terrible! I am so very sorry and hope they will be well soon!

I had a medium blue for like 25 years and never even knew the diamond had fluorescence! So definitely go for strong blue if you ever want to see it! I did also have a strong blue, and it showed a subtle lavendar in bright sunlight. All stones will show blue from reflecting the sky, but the fluorescence is a totally different look. Somewhat hard to see in sunlight, but very easy with a UV light.

img_5195.jpg

img_5198.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OECrystal|1405642831|3715421 said:
Here is my AGS graded Very Strong Blue fluorescence in different lighting. :))

indoor
indoorlighting.jpg
direct sunlight
outdoorblue.jpg
UV light
uvlightblue.jpg

I envy your SBF! That is the one thing I would add to my AVR if I could!

fritzi

Rough_Rock
Strong +

I cannot imagine having anything less. I love the chameleon effect from white to lavender to blue to UV blue under a black light.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
I have a SBF and I love it! SBF is the way to go

Just_Starting

Shiny_Rock
Great pics thanks for uploading :). Also thanks everyone for your input on what your preference is. I'm just waiting for the right stone to come up now ^^ (hoping for a VSB).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results