shape
carat
color
clarity

The rough for my Octavia (pics)...

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Wow....what a derailment. DF, you are one lucky puppy!!

I agree with AL, Kenny and TX Leaguer. I was wondering how a transaction such as this transpired too, but I also feel it's none of my business. We don't ask everyone who posts one of their projects how much it cost them. That seems crass somehow. And the ones who are spending the big bucks normally aren't saying what these things cost and that's ok. Their are many ladies on PS with 3 -5 ct monsters on their hand and my heart melts a little every time I see them. Those monsters are beautiful and I'm happy someone out there can enjoy one in their lifetime, but I know I never will unless I find one on the sidewalk. Finders keepers and all that.... :bigsmile:

I bought a huge, to me, CBI, a setting for it and a matching band. The only persons who know what I spent are Wink, the Elf, my fiancé, the credit card company and myself. No one needs to know what I paid, published price or not. And I'm not telling. NO ONE IRL has asked me what my treasures cost me. And if they did I wouldn't say. Have you not noticed how many sites remove the price from items that are already sold? The reason for that is privacy. I have no qualms negotiating a mutual price. Like many, I have a bottom line and want to get the most bang for my buck. I work too hard for my money not to be that way, so I completely understand Kenny's position and feel the same.

However, AL put it best. I think if you're that curious to know how it all works, give the vendor a call and find out, but this is a thread about DF's journey. No matter how transparent PS is, there are still things that should remain private, and negotiations between a vendor and client, even if the client posts the journey, should remain private unless the client in this instance deems fit to disclose. You don't see DF telling you what he paid.....there's a clue.

But we get to be witness to this marvelous, exciting and consummately unique experience. I want to see more documentations like this!! This is an amazing learning experience that I would prefer not be tarnished over discussion of private financial matters. I would guess it's probably considerably less than 1% of PSers, or anyone for that matter, that has ever witnessed the birth of an Octavia from a gorgeous icy crystal, and we're lucky enough to witness it with DF. I wish I could stand over Yoram's shoulder seeing it all, but I'll have to settle with what he or DF decides to share. The waiting must be sheer AGONY though, the one thing I don't envy you DF.
:wavey:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think everyone agrees that the specifics of an arrangement between the vendor and a buyer should be held confidential. However this thread, like many others on pricescope, has opened discussion of general issues – such as consumers buying rough to have it cut.
Although DF's stone specifics are private, I do believe that the general issue should be covered as this thread has caused people to ask- and it's obviously interesting to everyone.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond|1404401095|3706011 said:
I think everyone agrees that the specifics of an arrangement between the vendor and a buyer should be held confidential. However this thread, like many others on pricescope, has opened discussion of general issues – such as consumers buying rough to have it cut.
Although DF's stone specifics are private, I do believe that the general issue should be covered as this thread has caused people to ask- and it's obviously interesting to everyone.

I hope that particular part of the discussion has firmly been established as a horrible idea! In my 40 plus years in the trade I have NEVER seen even one piece of rough purchased by a private that was a good deal for that person. Most were not worth cutting at any price and the few that were would cost the buyer WAY more for the finished piece than if they had just bought a finished piece.

Add to that the licensing requirements to even own rough in many countries and the fact that most cutters will not touch privately owned rough that can not be properly documented to prove compliance with the Kimberly accords. Please, let's not waive that flag as even a remotely good idea.

Wink

P.S. I have seen and assisted with the purchase of attractive rough that was not worth cutting for the making of unique jewelry. That is NOT what we are discussing here though.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SandyinAnaheim|1404380580|3705861 said:
Wow....what a derailment. DF, you are one lucky puppy!!

I agree with AL, Kenny and TX Leaguer. I was wondering how a transaction such as this transpired too, but I also feel it's none of my business. We don't ask everyone who posts one of their projects how much it cost them. That seems crass somehow. And the ones who are spending the big bucks normally aren't saying what these things cost and that's ok. Their are many ladies on PS with 3 -5 ct monsters on their hand and my heart melts a little every time I see them. Those monsters are beautiful and I'm happy someone out there can enjoy one in their lifetime, but I know I never will unless I find one on the sidewalk. Finders keepers and all that.... :bigsmile:

I bought a huge, to me, CBI, a setting for it and a matching band. The only persons who know what I spent are Wink, the Elf, my fiancé, the credit card company and myself. No one needs to know what I paid, published price or not. And I'm not telling. NO ONE IRL has asked me what my treasures cost me. And if they did I wouldn't say. Have you not noticed how many sites remove the price from items that are already sold? The reason for that is privacy. I have no qualms negotiating a mutual price. Like many, I have a bottom line and want to get the most bang for my buck. I work too hard for my money not to be that way, so I completely understand Kenny's position and feel the same.

However, AL put it best. I think if you're that curious to know how it all works, give the vendor a call and find out, but this is a thread about DF's journey. No matter how transparent PS is, there are still things that should remain private, and negotiations between a vendor and client, even if the client posts the journey, should remain private unless the client in this instance deems fit to disclose. You don't see DF telling you what he paid.....there's a clue.

But we get to be witness to this marvelous, exciting and consummately unique experience. I want to see more documentations like this!! This is an amazing learning experience that I would prefer not be tarnished over discussion of private financial matters. I would guess it's probably considerably less than 1% of PSers, or anyone for that matter, that has ever witnessed the birth of an Octavia from a gorgeous icy crystal, and we're lucky enough to witness it with DF. I wish I could stand over Yoram's shoulder seeing it all, but I'll have to settle with what he or DF decides to share. The waiting must be sheer AGONY though, the one thing I don't envy you DF.
:wavey:
HUH?

Please reread my posts.
I never asked what the price was.
If I had, that would be crass.

IMO, being curious about such a unique diamond project posted on a diamond forum totally understandable, and others have posted they share the interest.
Besides, I posted many disclaimers respecting everyone's privacy and posted profusely I was fine with nothing being revealed.
Please stop the drama. :roll:

I should have started a new thread though.
DF, I feel I may have taken away from your experience.
If you feel that way too I sincerely apologize.

_380.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

We don't know, I'm not asking, it's not my business, but I'm 99.9999999% certain DF did not go out and find/buy the rough.
The rough was likely sourced in the same way, by the same people as rough that was sourced for other Octavias.

GOG just gave the green light for the usual process to start knowing they had a buyer.

If I was GOG I'd not tie up tons of money in high end stones that may not turn over fast.
IMO Octavias are totally worth the premium, which has been explained and justified by Karl and Jon.
Joe-lurker-shopper who just surfs over to GOG's site does not know the background justifying the price.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="kenny|
I should have started a new thread though.
DF, I feel I may have taken away from your experience.
If you feel that way too I sincerely apologize.[/quote]

Kenny...Don't worry about it "no hard feelings!!"...I still love ya.. :wink2:

Lunch time!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Double post. :oops:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1404413747|3706178 said:
Kenny...Don't worry about it "no hard feelings!!"...I still love ya.. :wink2:

Thanks DF.
You're a mensch!

Lova ya too ... in a hunting and fishing sort of way. :wink2:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1404413649|3706176 said:

We don't know, I'm not asking, it's not my business, but I'm 99.9999999% certain DF did not go out and find/buy the rough.
The rough was likely sourced in the same way, by the same people as rough that was sourced for other Octavias.

GOG just gave the green light for the usual process to start knowing they had a buyer.

If I was GOG I'd not tie up tons of money in high end stones that may not turn over fast.
IMO Octavias are totally worth the premium, which has been explained and justified by Karl and Jon.
Joe-lurker-shopper who just surfs over to GOG's site does not know the background justifying the price.

This is a quandary any jewelry seller actually investing in the diamonds faces. It's a stressful, yet fun part of the job. Low risk = low gain. Kudos to any dealer willing and capable to purchase such important stones for stock.
I think the point Wink was making, and I totally agree, is that consumers are not well served if they are given half of the information about the process. I don't believe any dealer is able to offer rough diamonds for polishing purposes to the consumer.
Furthermore, we receive many fraudulent offers of people claiming to have rough diamonds for sale- IT'S ALWAYS A SCAM IF YOU GET SUCH AN EMAIL

Again, nothing at all specific to DF's amazing rock- but rather generally.
I love seeing the rough before the stones are cut- it's an amazing peek behind the scenes few people experience.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any update?.. :bigsmile:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
DiaGem|1402847011|3693634 said:
DF, should you allow it, I will gladly post numerous images of the advancement of this project but only after its satisfactory completion.
Df read the above quote.
Yoram, has a strong aversion to handing out pics once the polishing process begins until after it is complete.
If he wasn't so awesome I would tease him that its a superstition!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF, you should fly to Israel.
Visit Yoram daily and shower him with opulent gifts and compliments.
Wash his car.
Do his laundry and vacuum his home.
Take him to the best restaurants and hire a masseuse :Up_to_something: :naughty: for him.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1404774805|3708482 said:
DiaGem|1402847011|3693634 said:
DF, should you allow it, I will gladly post numerous images of the advancement of this project but only after its satisfactory completion.
Df read the above quote.
Yoram, has a strong aversion to handing out pics once the polishing process begins until after it is complete.
If he wasn't so awesome I would tease him that its a superstition!
Hope he is not sleeping on the job... :lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1404777154|3708508 said:
Wash his car.
Take him to the best restaurants and hire a masseuse :Up_to_something: :naughty: for him.
and take you with me so that you can take 1000 photos while he's working on my Octavia.. :wink2:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1404779376|3708537 said:
Wash his car.
and take you with me so that you can take 1000 photos while he's working on my Octavia.. :wink2:

It's a deal.
When do we leave? :sun:

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Actually one of these days (months/years) I plan on flying there with my cameras and filming the process but only if Y can promise me a time he can accomplish the whole task from start to finish by the time I get there till the time I leave. :Up_to_something:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1404787397|3708636 said:
Dancing Fire|1404779376|3708537 said:
Wash his car.

It's a deal.
When do we leave? :sun:
When Rhino buy us the plane tickets .. :wink2: That's the least he can do after taking me to the cleaners... ;(

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
:-o :tongue:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You definitely should get over to Israel Jon. I know you'd love it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does anyone know how many hours it takes to cut an Octavia? :read: I can't even begin to guess!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamer_D|1404863938|3709319 said:
Does anyone know how many hours it takes to cut an Octavia? :read: I can't even begin to guess!

I know Yoram has to do a crazy amount of scans at each step of the cutting phase on Octavia and AVC.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhino|1404874168|3709453 said:

I know Yoram has to do a crazy amount of scans at each step of the cutting phase on Octavia and AVC.

What's a scan, and why are more needed than with other cuts?
How is the information from it used?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1404874788|3709465 said:
Rhino|1404874168|3709453 said:

What's a scan, and why are more needed than with other cuts?
How is the information from it used?
3d sarin scan
To get the precision level and compensate if needed to get the optical properties.
The precision needed on the p3 facets on Octavia is higher than the accuracy of the scanner last I heard so they are judged by face up appearance of the diamond when to stop.
Sarin may have have fixed that by now making it just slightly easier.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fascinating.
Thanks Karl.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
It really is fascinating- I love this thread and think it is absolutely neato to be privilege to this journey from rough to precision cut jewel. Excited for DF.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any new news?... :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was torture waiting just a day for delivery.
I can't imagine waiting for cutting, then grading. :wall: ;(

-B-

Rough_Rock
Bummer. I saw new posts and got excited thinking there was a progress update.
The anticipation must be terrible - I've been waiting 3 weeks for my custom setting (and it's just got delayed another 10 days), and the waiting is driving me nuts.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update, Jon received this Email from Yoram...

We encountered a small issue with an unexpected feather depth on the facet junction between P2&P3 near the corner pavilion. We tackled it within my original planning decision.

It looks like we managed to minimize it into a VS2 or perhaps a nice SI1 clarity range. I think GIA would have graded this as a VS2 but in my experience AGSL is a bit harsher on these type/location of feathers.

The Diamond is nearing completion but a lot more work is needed to get all the facets together into its precision and accurate state as you can tell from the three pics attached. The whole pavilion still needs some work and all the crown breaks still need to be cut which will result in a significan smaller table than you can notice in the picture. (I believe it a tad above 51% currently.) So the visual feather size currently displayed through the table will be minimized.

I didn't have the chance to study its color yet but remember it felt good under the loupe which can point to good news on that end.

Here are 3 pictures I chose from the plurality of pictures taken throughout the process.

_401.png

_402.png

96.png

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, your Octavia is nearly ready! So exciting. It looks good even now. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results