shape
carat
color
clarity

E-ring build finished -- Feedback Wanted

1967Eleanor

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for some feedback on my newly finished custom e-ring. It is a round diamond with a halo in a custom setting. The picture is a Victor Canera setting, I believe and is what I provided to the jeweler to replicate . I have some concerns about how it came out, but I will wait to share. Any feedback is welcome. Sorry for the blurry pictures, the jeweler took them and texted them to me. I have not seen the ring in person yet.

Picture provided to jeweler:
img_8312.jpg
Finished ring:
img_0763.jpg
img_6352.jpg
img_1979.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The differences I notice are that your ring:
- has a cathedral shank while the inspiration version has not;
- the center stone seems to be higher set;
- the halo is not tilted.

It's difficult to make-up from the blurry pics though. Can the jeweller provide you with clearer pics?
Overall I must say that it's not fair to expect Victor Canera quality from any jeweller. Did he make similar rings before?

1967Eleanor

Rough_Rock
Acinom|1405658750|3715610 said:

It's difficult to make-up from the blurry pics though. Can the jeweller provide you with clearer pics?
Overall I must say that it's not fair to expect Victor Canera quality from any jeweller. Did he make similar rings before?

I forgot to mention that the only difference I opted for was the cathedral setting.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Not even close to VC, not many can replicate that quality.

angeline

Ideal_Rock
lknvrb4|1405678453|3715699 said:
Not even close to VC, not many can replicate that quality.

Not sure how you can be so definitive. The pictures are very blurry, it's hard to see any detail.

OP, can you get more focussed pics?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1967Eleanor|1405659756|3715621 said:
Acinom|1405658750|3715610 said:

I forgot to mention that the only difference I opted for was the cathedral setting.

It does not look like the VC ring, but that does not mean that it isn't a beautiful ring.
What are your doubts at this moment? I would first of all request clearer pics as it is really hard to judge by these blurry photo's

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only thing I can tell from the photos is that the diamond is set too high. We'd have to have clear close-ups to tell anything about the quality of the work. But I agree with others who said you don't usually get Victor's quality anywhere else.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can Shaw Diamond give you some beauty shots of the ring? I think it looks pretty, but the pics are so blurry.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamondseeker: I know it's hard from the pix, but do you think it could be because it is a very deep diamond??? Otherwise I would say the diamond looks way too high. thank you.

diamondseeker2006|1405686592|3715771 said:
The only thing I can tell from the photos is that the diamond is set too high. We'd have to have clear close-ups to tell anything about the quality of the work. But I agree with others who said you don't usually get Victor's quality anywhere else.

kappy

Rough_Rock
The jeweler should be ashamed of those pictures, the last one wasn't even worth it!
You deserve better photos for giving them your business.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Agree w/ Acinom--halo is not tilted and center is set too high. The center diamond's girdle usually sits a hair above the halo's pave.

Further, the prongs look a chunkier than VC's.

Things we can't comment on but would be nice to know differences:
-curved struts vs straight
-quality of pave (metalwork and diamonds)
-type of prongwork on melee for VC vs your jeweler (fishtail, beadset, etc)

1967Eleanor

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback.

My concerns have been mentioned:
1) The stone is set too high
2) The halo is not angled out
3) The diamond isn't a standout

1.11, SI1, D, Polish-very good, Symmetry-good. HCA calculator = 5.9

I've done my homework on diamonds and rings and just didn't execute this build as well as I wanted. Tomorrow, I will have pictures and videos of the ring and the jeweler will adjust things accordingly before the proposal date. I will provide answers to these questions: curved vs. straight struts, quality of pave, and type of prongwork on melee.

What can I do to improve this ring? Those with experience, what are my options?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you choose the diamond or the vendor?
It doesn't look to me like the diamond could be set lower.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You want a diamond to have an HCA score at 2.0 or lower. Maybe 2.5 or lower. But I'd not be happy with that diamond.

We really do need better pictures to tell about the setting quality.

1967Eleanor

Rough_Rock
Here are some better pictures and I think will answer some questions. The jeweler is going to be able to adjust the diamond down closer to the girdle. I originally asked for it to be seated a littler higher per her liking, but that was too high.

img_1452.jpg
img_1447.jpg
img_1454.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The top view is really pretty!
The stone is indeed set quite high and the setting itself is quite high: it has a high cathedral. Which of the two has been requested?
The second cannot be solved without redoing the complete piece. But I also doubt whether the first can be tackled by lowering the stone: the halo hole seems to be too small to do that? Your jeweller seems to be quite cooperative and willing to solve the issue. I would have a good talk to discuss what realistic options you have. I afraid that you will otherwise not be satisfied with the outcome

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results