shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue green diamond- to keep or not to keep??

I've been wanting a light blue green diamond and thought I'd found it a month ago. Alas, it did not work out.When I went to see it I just couldn't justify the cost with the oh, so pale light fancy color. Today I've received another candidate. GIA label natural light green with strong blue fluorescence. It's a .61 radiant VS1 measuring 5.35 x 5.07, so I like the size and clarity. Here are several pictures I took in different lighting. I absolutely LOVE how it looks in brilliant sunshine- that strong blue fl really takes off. :love: :love: Not so much in indoor lighting. All pics are taken in the plastic gem box- I didn't want to chance dropping, nicking, or heaven forbid losing it as I moved around. In the box for comparison is a G colored diamond and a pair of fancy intense pinks. What do you all think? Just wear it on sunny days? :lol:

php9kxk1xam.jpg

phpctvfomam.jpg

phpdyf1tuam.jpg

phpxaf2jbam.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It's GORGEOUS in outdoor light! I wouldn't be able to take my eyes off it. But where will you be wearing it the most? Probably inside, right? It does lose saturation indoors -- if it doesn't thrill you under that condition, it may not be THE one for you. ;( Sounds like a hard search!

--- Laurie

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Inside it just looks really blah. I like it in outdoor lighting but inside... no. And the cut is pretty questionable. Idk, I think there's probably better out there, it may be a wait, but I don't think I'd want a ring that only looked good outside during the day.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that it doesn't look that great for indoors but outdoors is really nice. That's a toughie as whether to keep or not, but if it was a price that you could live with and something that you like enough to keep then ok, otherwise I would keep looking or up the budget to get the color/shade you want.

Kroshka

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks great under the sun but inside, the poor cut is apparent and does it no favours.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, you all are just confirming my feelings, too. :boohoo: Bummer, I had high hopes for this one-especially since it was a recut. I had expected the cut to be much better in person. Maybe I could carry a little sunlamp around with me? :tongue:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A little UV penlight will suffice. :devil:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
The cut would bother me too. It's one of those with the grey sides. I guess they cut it like that to get the best colour they can.

Plus, it doesn't sound seem in indoor light. I'd pass. There is better out there!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the price. I wouldn't keep it if GIA graded it fancy green in any shape or form, as it's blue/green color obviously comes from UV fluor and that shouldn't count. If it was fairly inexpensive for what it is, then it might be worth keeping for those days you plan to spend a lot of time outdoors on a sunny day.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
:
Chrono|1405612955|3715114 said:
A little UV penlight will suffice. :devil:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
TL|1405620835|3715201 said:
It depends on the price. I wouldn't keep it if GIA graded it fancy green in any shape or form, as it's blue/green color obviously comes from UV fluor and that shouldn't count. If it was fairly inexpensive for what it is, then it might be worth keeping for those days you plan to spend a lot of time outdoors on a sunny day.

graded "light green" by GIA, TL. I was told it looked more blue than green in person which is why I ordered it. But all blue comes from the fluorescence as you can see, so I'm quite disappointed in it.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
pinkjewel|1405623037|3715217 said:

graded "light green" by GIA, TL. I was told it looked more blue than green in person which is why I ordered it. But all blue comes from the fluorescence as you can see, so I'm quite disappointed in it.

That's kind of like my GIA undetermined/EGL determined natural green pinkjewel! Except GIA named mine "very light green" and EGL said that it had no fluoro, but in the sun it really looked bluish green.

Kroshka

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think you probably answered your own question here.

ILoveGems14

Rough_Rock
It's Awesome!!!
You should keep it.

ILoveGems14

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
TL|1405625626|3715235 said:

I think you probably answered your own question here.

I know... I guess I really wanted confirmation from my colored stone friends here. And it really is lovely...in sunlight!!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
kroshka|1405624669|3715229 said:

That's kind of like my GIA undetermined/EGL determined natural green pinkjewel! Except GIA named mine "very light green" and EGL said that it had no fluoro, but in the sun it really looked bluish green.

Kroshka

what did you do with yours?

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
ILoveGems14|1405626109|3715242 said:
It's Awesome!!!
You should keep it.

ILoveGems14
Are you sure you looked at ALL the photos?? =)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seeing any green in a 0.61 ct natural diamond is pretty cool.
If you feel the price is acceptable to you then you may want to keep it.
Strong pure green over half a carat with even distribution that GIA grades as fully-natural color and material origin would cost you a fortune.

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
It is lovely in sunlight... but I guess it depends on if you think the price was good enough to justify keeping something you'd only want to wear outside in bright sunlight. :cheeky:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1405633205|3715344 said:
Seeing any green in a 0.61 ct natural diamond is pretty cool.
If you feel the price is acceptable to you then you may want to keep it.
Strong pure green over half a carat with even distribution that GIA grades as fully-natural color and material origin would cost you a fortune.
Unfortunately, I know Kenny. A fancy green around the same size with gorgeous color is around $40,000, which I just can't justify. Intense and vivid- well- yes, a fortune. Sooooo, I was trying to find something that would give me my bluish green "fix" without spending that fortune. I just don't know if this will do it. It is GIA natural with a GIA inscription and even distribution. I guess I'll think about it.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
VirginiaZee|1405637003|3715367 said:
It is lovely in sunlight... but I guess it depends on if you think the price was good enough to justify keeping something you'd only want to wear outside in bright sunlight. :cheeky:
exactly!!!!!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
It depends on the price.

If you sent in a rose gold halo with pink diamond melee, that will make the green pop indoors, and make it look even more blue outdoors.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1405643260|3715425 said:
It depends on the price.

If you sent in a rose gold halo with pink diamond melee, that will make the green pop indoors, and make it look even more blue outdoors.

yup- my thoughts too. In fact I'd already figured out the setting I wanted to make for it. Bezel the green diamond, pink diamond rose gold halo with a twist, and platinum shank with a few diamond melee.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm....getting the right setting for it can certainly minimize what you don't like about the FCD and play up what you like about it best. :read:

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
pinkjewel|1405628576|3715279 said:
kroshka|1405624669|3715229 said:

Kroshka

what did you do with yours?

Haven't done anything with it....lol. Been sitting there wondering what to do with it and I didn't bother to have it set thinking I might send it in to GIA again someday to see if they can determine origin.

Kroshka

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1405684742|3715753 said:
Hmmm....getting the right setting for it can certainly minimize what you don't like about the FCD and play up what you like about it best. :read:

Well, got around to putting it on a shiny copper penny and OMG- it turned blue again!!!! Now I'm back to wondering if I should keep it and put a rose gold cup behind it :confused:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkjewel|1405772086|3716525 said:

Well, got around to putting it on a shiny copper penny and OMG- it turned blue again!!!! Now I'm back to wondering if I should keep it and put a rose gold cup behind it :confused:

Indoors? Also, if you put some pale white diamonds stones next to it, does the color seem to pop more? I would optimally surround a gem like yours with very pale pinks.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
TL|1405774676|3716543 said:

Indoors? Also, if you put some pale white diamonds stones next to it, does the color seem to pop more? I would optimally surround a gem like yours with very pale pinks.
yes- indoors. I don't think the color pops next to white diamonds. I think if i were to use white diamonds I'd put them in rose gold so that they looked soft white.but I agree pinks in rose gold would be my first choice. Still haven't decided if I want to keep it- I have a few weeks to decide.
here's a photo I snapped indoors on the copper penny.
eta- I'll see if I can get a better pic later-this is pretty blurry.

looking_blue.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkjewel|1405778663|3716558 said:
TL|1405774676|3716543 said:

yes- indoors. I don't think the color pops next to white diamonds. I think if i were to use white diamonds I'd put them in rose gold so that they looked soft white.but I agree pinks in rose gold would be my first choice. Still haven't decided if I want to keep it- I have a few weeks to decide.
here's a photo I snapped indoors on the copper penny.
eta- I'll see if I can get a better pic later-this is pretty blurry.

Wow, what a dramatic difference. FCD's can have so many "personalities" it seems.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results