shape
carat
color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, it seems like your feeling a little better and have been doing a good job of keeping yourself occupied during the day. You know your a true PSer when Candy Crush reminds you of gemstones. My niece found Candy Crush her last week of pregnancy and was so grateful she did. It really helped the time go by quickly for her. Pet Rescue also sounds like a cute game.

Do you have an ideas for the piece of jewelry you plan on purchasing later in the year? Your engagement ring is one of my all time Pricescope favorites. I especially love the picture with your ring at your beach house. :appl:

You are not alone buying dresses in multiple colors. They are so comfortable in summer and such an easy way to look put together with very little effort. It's probably a good idea to stay off shopping sites unless you have a lot of self control. A girl could do a lot damage shopping everyday! It's so easy to do when you're bored.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1405472416|3714096 said:
Hi Missy :wavey:

I am glad you are finding games to play that you enjoy. Those kind of things can be addictive. I am stuck on a level of Angry Birds I'll have to get DH to get me through it.

I hope you have a good evening and sleep well.

Marcy

Thank you Marcy. I slept well (enough for the circumstances) as I only woke up twice during the night and was able to fall back asleep both times. So I am very grateful for that.

I am going to have to try Angry Birds. I keep hearing about how much fun that game is yet I keep forgetting to see if I can find it to see for myself. Gotta love that name lol. ;))

junebug17 said:
Popping in to say I'm thinking of you missy - and sorry you are having a rough night. It's lousy to feel so uncomfortable all the time! and it's true, things seem to hurt and bother us even more at night for some reason - probably less distractions at night. I'm hoping you can somehow get yourself comfortable enough to get some rest. ((((hugs))))) I'll check in tomorrow, hang in there my friend!

Thanks Junebug. I am feeling better this morning. I am going to take my pain meds now before it gets out of hand. I think I was waiting too long to take them the last few days and the pain was harder to control that way. It's just that 9 days after surgery I was hoping I wouldn't need them as much. I remember rainwood was good with using Tylenol only and here I am needing oxycodone (5-15 mg) and Tylenol. Not trying to be brave or anything but just trying to avoid the side effects of the pain meds. But I need to stay on top of it. They don't take the pain away totally but it takes the edge off and I think my dh needs me a bit less edgy these days poor dear! :oops:

Calliecake said:
Hi Missy, it seems like your feeling a little better and have been doing a good job of keeping yourself occupied during the day. You know your a true PSer when Candy Crush reminds you of gemstones. My niece found Candy Crush her last week of pregnancy and was so grateful she did. It really helped the time go by quickly for her. Pet Rescue also sounds like a cute game.

Do you have an ideas for the piece of jewelry you plan on purchasing later in the year? Your engagement ring is one of my all time Pricescope favorites. I especially love the picture with your ring at your beach house. :appl:

You are not alone buying dresses in multiple colors. They are so comfortable in summer and such an easy way to look put together with very little effort. It's probably a good idea to stay off shopping sites unless you have a lot of self control. A girl could do a lot damage shopping everyday! It's so easy to do when you're bored.

Oh, thank you Callie. That reminds me to take my ER out of its jewelry box so I can at least gaze at her and say hey. It's been a long while since I wore my ER. And yes I know exactly what piece of jewelry I want but as I wrote I am not even mentioning it to my dh. It's been a tough year and purchasing jewelry is not on my list of things to do for a long while. Especially with me not working. It's a beautiful pair of antique diamond earrings that is from a seller whose jewelry I love and I own a few pairs of her earrings.

Thanks for understanding about multiple clothing purchases. Way too easy when you are online and bored so true. :cheeky:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have finally made it to this thread and now figure out why you said you were not feeling well and why you said you hope to get back to your patients soon.

Glad to see it's you're doing OK :))

I hope your day goes by fast and smooth and that you continue to get better and back to all the things you love to do

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy,

I hope you were able to sleep well last night and you are feeling well today. How has your back been feeling?

i can't wait to see the antique earrings when you get them. I love antique jewelry. My jewelry shopping has also been put on hold. In the past year I've gotten two diamond rings so I'm definitely done for a while. I do plan on purchasing a couple diamond stacking rings this year but big purchases are definitely out for me.

I understand your clothes shopping more than you know. I really need to stop. I was watching a Dateline TV show a couple weeks ago. They were ready to find a woman guilty of murdering her husband because she had a black dress in her closet with the price tags still on it. They said it was planned because the price tags were on the dress. My husband looked at me and said "Are you planning to take out a small village". I have way too many dresses with the tags still on them. You can talk to me about shopping anytime with no judgement :angel:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi missy, dropping by with a cyber cup of coffee! (and one for me too hehe)

Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better - I totally understand what you're saying about the pain meds, I'd be the same way in trying to avoid the side effects - I guess it's a trade-off of feeling less pain/getting more rest and feeling woozy and out of it. You're doing well dealing with all of these issues, even if sometimes you feel like you're not! :cheeky: You'll make it through this, better days are ahead, I promise!

eta: I changed my signature in your honor lol

_20280.jpg

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy your post:
I am supposed to be on enforced rest with no weight bearing for at least 3 months and I think I have to take the Lovenox for as long as I am not moving. :((
I'm trying not to get down but tonight has been difficult. Most nights are difficult. I cannot get comfortable all day and then at night it is just magnified. I feel like I am losing control and I need to be tough and steel myself through. I have no other choice.

I was immobilized for 3 months--I know pretty much what your days/nights are like. I want you to know that with each passing day and each passing night, you ARE healing the fracture and bringing back your bones. You are putting yet another 24 hours between you and that accident.

All of us who have ever been immobilized find out that we are pretty discomforted physically night and day for that period of time. I want you to know that I have NO pain now. None. Unless I tell people, they don't know I had a leg break in three places/including knee. And its not because I had great physical therapy/rehab (the place I went to was terrible I just did not know it at the time, remember get a physiatrist from HSS okay Missy?) but because my DH and I took matters into our own hands when the recovery was not going the way we thought it should and we decided no one cared as much as we did about my recovery and we got me the aids I needed (the walker, the grabber, shower grab handles everywhere, the toilet rails) and the exercises that helped and found the equipment for rent or gym membership (leg press).

So I wanted to cry every day when my DH would leave for work. That was hard. I had a terrible time sleeping at night, would ask my husband to readjust the immobilizer several times a night (poor man) or after I used the restroom, and also got a different immobilizer to switch it up day and night. In retrospect, I should have slept in the guest room because both my DH and I would have gotten better sleep.

As the days/nights rolled by I got used to the new normal and everything improved. I hated being driven to the clinic for my appointments and x-rays. I worried about not being able to wear a seatbelt stretched out along the back seat, or bumps in the road, or my husband shutting the door on my foot! When I got to the clinic I had to beware the tottering ortho surgery patients, I did not want them bumping my leg or crashing into me. So that was always a source of tension. Then even though the fractures healed completely, I had bone loss in the knee and the surgeon thought possibly from osteosarcoma (death sentence essentially) or maybe a lymphoma that had gone to the knee. With time, we saw that I replaced the bone in my knee but at MY rate, not his expectation. As Kenny says, PEOPLE VARY DUDE! Worrying for that brief time about an osteosarcoma or hodgkin's was an extra PITA.

I took Ativan or Xanax to help me with anxiety. I didn't take it every day or every night, and there were plenty of runs of time that I didn't need it. But I took it when I did and it helped me so much in those situations.

I wish I'd known about Wobenzym then. I would have been taking it. Hold it until you are off anticoagulation, then start that baby at stress doses (I woke up and took 3 with full glass of water, took 3 before or after lunch, then 3 or 5 before bed depending on how I felt).

Keep coming here when things suck. You don't have to front for us. Most of us here have had some kind of major catastrophe in our lives, we've been there and back. You've been through health issues, you know this territory too. Once you get 'used' to your immobility you will feel more comfortable mentally AND physically, I promise, and then you will be done with the immobility. Your challenge then will be to repair the atrophy that you may have from the 3 months of immobility.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Well, I'm keeping you company in Pet rescue. You mentioned it and I downloaded it and now I'm addicted. I'm on level 22. How many levels are there? Excuse me while I go try to pass this level again! :cheeky:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, you're an optometrist!

The only 'thing' I spend without question or reserve on besides bling are specs!

I have 5 pairs of Lindbergs all custom cut lenses, 4 pairs of Cazals (bought first one in London in the 1980s which kicked off my goal for each foreign trip to include new frames from that location), Oliver Peoples, etc etc. I never ever break glasses, I take care of them as if they are the Crown Jewels so I have cool retro glasses at this point from the 1970s when I started using sunglass frames for my eyeglasses.

My optician loves me very much, between sunglasses and computer glasses and TV/driving glasses and progressives, snork!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1405522267|3714404 said:
I have finally made it to this thread and now figure out why you said you were not feeling well and why you said you hope to get back to your patients soon.

Glad to see it's you're doing OK :))

I hope your day goes by fast and smooth and that you continue to get better and back to all the things you love to do

Thanks CJ. I really appreciate that.

Calliecake said:
Hi Missy,

I hope you were able to sleep well last night and you are feeling well today. How has your back been feeling?

i can't wait to see the antique earrings when you get them. I love antique jewelry. My jewelry shopping has also been put on hold. In the past year I've gotten two diamond rings so I'm definitely done for a while. I do plan on purchasing a couple diamond stacking rings this year but big purchases are definitely out for me.

I understand your clothes shopping more than you know. I really need to stop. I was watching a Dateline TV show a couple weeks ago. They were ready to find a woman guilty of murdering her husband because she had a black dress in her closet with the price tags still on it. They said it was planned because the price tags were on the dress. My husband looked at me and said "Are you planning to take out a small village". I have way too many dresses with the tags still on them. You can talk to me about shopping anytime with no judgement :angel:

Thanks Callie. And OMG on that dateline. I have lots of clothes with their tags still on so I guess I am guilty. LOL. :halo:
My back is feeling better right now, thank you for asking. I added a fourth pillow that I am sleeping on right now and it is helping. Never thought I would be on 4 pillows but it helps for now. :appl:

junebug17 said:
Hi missy, dropping by with a cyber cup of coffee! (and one for me too hehe)

Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better - I totally understand what you're saying about the pain meds, I'd be the same way in trying to avoid the side effects - I guess it's a trade-off of feeling less pain/getting more rest and feeling woozy and out of it. You're doing well dealing with all of these issues, even if sometimes you feel like you're not! :cheeky: You'll make it through this, better days are ahead, I promise!

eta: I changed my signature in your honor lol

Thanks for the yummy coffee Junebug! My sister visited today and brought chocolate peanut butter brownies. I bet they would be delicious together. I'll save all you ladies some...C'mon over. :wavey:

And I LOVE your new signature! It's perfect, thank you. (((Hugs))).

_50.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1405529183|3714504 said:
Missy your post:
I am supposed to be on enforced rest with no weight bearing for at least 3 months and I think I have to take the Lovenox for as long as I am not moving. :((
I'm trying not to get down but tonight has been difficult. Most nights are difficult. I cannot get comfortable all day and then at night it is just magnified. I feel like I am losing control and I need to be tough and steel myself through. I have no other choice.

I was immobilized for 3 months--I know pretty much what your days/nights are like. I want you to know that with each passing day and each passing night, you ARE healing the fracture and bringing back your bones. You are putting yet another 24 hours between you and that accident.

All of us who have ever been immobilized find out that we are pretty discomforted physically night and day for that period of time. I want you to know that I have NO pain now. None. Unless I tell people, they don't know I had a leg break in three places/including knee. And its not because I had great physical therapy/rehab (the place I went to was terrible I just did not know it at the time, remember get a physiatrist from HSS okay Missy?) but because my DH and I took matters into our own hands when the recovery was not going the way we thought it should and we decided no one cared as much as we did about my recovery and we got me the aids I needed (the walker, the grabber, shower grab handles everywhere, the toilet rails) and the exercises that helped and found the equipment for rent or gym membership (leg press).

So I wanted to cry every day when my DH would leave for work. That was hard. I had a terrible time sleeping at night, would ask my husband to readjust the immobilizer several times a night (poor man) or after I used the restroom, and also got a different immobilizer to switch it up day and night. In retrospect, I should have slept in the guest room because both my DH and I would have gotten better sleep.

As the days/nights rolled by I got used to the new normal and everything improved. I hated being driven to the clinic for my appointments and x-rays. I worried about not being able to wear a seatbelt stretched out along the back seat, or bumps in the road, or my husband shutting the door on my foot! When I got to the clinic I had to beware the tottering ortho surgery patients, I did not want them bumping my leg or crashing into me. So that was always a source of tension. Then even though the fractures healed completely, I had bone loss in the knee and the surgeon thought possibly from osteosarcoma (death sentence essentially) or maybe a lymphoma that had gone to the knee. With time, we saw that I replaced the bone in my knee but at MY rate, not his expectation. As Kenny says, PEOPLE VARY DUDE! Worrying for that brief time about an osteosarcoma or hodgkin's was an extra PITA.

I took Ativan or Xanax to help me with anxiety. I didn't take it every day or every night, and there were plenty of runs of time that I didn't need it. But I took it when I did and it helped me so much in those situations.

I wish I'd known about Wobenzym then. I would have been taking it. Hold it until you are off anticoagulation, then start that baby at stress doses (I woke up and took 3 with full glass of water, took 3 before or after lunch, then 3 or 5 before bed depending on how I felt).

Keep coming here when things suck. You don't have to front for us. Most of us here have had some kind of major catastrophe in our lives, we've been there and back. You've been through health issues, you know this territory too. Once you get 'used' to your immobility you will feel more comfortable mentally AND physically, I promise, and then you will be done with the immobility. Your challenge then will be to repair the atrophy that you may have from the 3 months of immobility.

Thank you so much azstonie. You understanding what I am going through is so helpful. Just knowing others have successfully come back from bad injuries gives me much hope and when I get down I hold on to that hope. Thank goodness your dh was proactive and got you what you need. And thank goodness those doctors were wrong about what was going on. How scary and on top of everything else you were dealing with at that time. You are a strong woman.

As for anti anxiety meds I remember someone saying you cannot mix ativan or xanax with oxycodone but I could be wrong. In any case I am not there yet where I need to take anything but if I get to that point I will find out what is safe. Being able to talk through my fears and anxieties goes a long way in maintaining my sanity if you kwim and I think you do!

And LOL on your love of glasses. That's an expensive hobby these days. Ironically we don't have glasses where I work but I do miss those days of freebies! :cheeky:

rosetta said:
Well, I'm keeping you company in Pet rescue. You mentioned it and I downloaded it and now I'm addicted. I'm on level 22. How many levels are there? Excuse me while I go try to pass this level again! :cheeky:

Haha, a fellow Pet rescue lover. I am not sure how many levels they have but I cannot move past 27 so maybe that's all they have? I keep rescuing all 9 animals at that level but there is no higher level I can get to. Let me know if you find a way to get to a higher level. I am glad you are enjoying it too! :appl:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's right, you don't combine opioids with benzos (Ativan, Xanax).

Sounds like you don't need the benzos. They helped me in the wee hours of the night or in the daytime when my DH was at work and something happened that freaked me out (like my Westie, Finn, jumping on my leg trying to get to a rump roast I was transferring from the fridge to the roasting pain).

My biggest problem during the 90 days (I couldn't say "3 months," 90 days sounded quicker to me) was keeping my head straight :twirl:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For sleep, magnesium 400 or 800 mg 1 hour or so before bed helps. You want magnesium glycinate, its the second best for uptake. Magnesium citrate is basically a laxative!

I've tried Calmz, which helped also. Its mostly magnesium and some other herbal components.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy!!! What a complete nightmare for you!! :((

Sending you lots of cyber love & hugs & dust for filling your days & healing your poorly bones!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1405543185|3714624 said:
That's right, you don't combine opioids with benzos (Ativan, Xanax).

Sounds like you don't need the benzos. They helped me in the wee hours of the night or in the daytime when my DH was at work and something happened that freaked me out (like my Westie, Finn, jumping on my leg trying to get to a rump roast I was transferring from the fridge to the roasting pain).

My biggest problem during the 90 days (I couldn't say "3 months," 90 days sounded quicker to me) was keeping my head straight :twirl:

Yes I can see where that will be one of my bigger challenges. And I think you are right. 90 days sounds much more manageable than 3 months. OK I have (about) 81 days left...not so bad. Let's just hope it isn't 180 days. The surgeon left that open but if so I'll deal with it. ::)

And thanks for the magnesium advice. I do take magnesium and find it helpful.

Alex T said:
Missy!!! What a complete nightmare for you!! :((

Sending you lots of cyber love & hugs & dust for filling your days & healing your poorly bones!!

Oh thank you dear Alex. I miss our curly hair chats. How's one of my favorite curly girls doing this summer? I hope all is well and you are enjoying the sun and warmer weather. :wavey:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I am glad you slept well even though you woke up a few times. I know doctors and nurses say it is better to keep taking your pain meds instead of waiting until you need it. I generally don't play many games but I found the laughing pigs to be quite entertaining in Angry Birds.

Hope you have a good evening and a good night's sleep.
Marcy

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy,

I can't believe I haven't posted on this thread. I was travelling and then was down with some infections...regardless, I should've checked in.

I'm so sorry you've been through all this. You're an amazing woman, with so much strength, great sense of humour...I'm sending you LOTS of HEALING DUST and hope you get well very very soon.

{{{HUGS}}}

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1405561791|3714765 said:
Missy, I am glad you slept well even though you woke up a few times. I know doctors and nurses say it is better to keep taking your pain meds instead of waiting until you need it. I generally don't play many games but I found the laughing pigs to be quite entertaining in Angry Birds.

Hope you have a good evening and a good night's sleep.
Marcy

Hi Marcy, you've convinced me. I am on an Angry Bird search today. How can I resist laughing pigs? :cheeky: I have heard many people praising this game but never had the desire to check it out. LOL how things can change.

Thanks for the good sleep wishes. Unfortunately I had a difficult slumber last night and was up much of the night. I feel terrible not because of that but because I was so restless and uncomfortable this morning my dh got up very early to get me some coffee. I cannot wait till I am given the go ahead by my doctor to be able to move a bit more at least to make coffee and such. :pray: It's very frustrating to not be allowed to do even the simplest things for oneself. ::)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix|1405577190|3714880 said:
Missy,

I can't believe I haven't posted on this thread. I was travelling and then was down with some infections...regardless, I should've checked in.

I'm so sorry you've been through all this. You're an amazing woman, with so much strength, great sense of humour...I'm sending you LOTS of HEALING DUST and hope you get well very very soon.

{{{HUGS}}}

Dear Phoenix, I am so sorry you have been dealing with health issues of your own and I hope you are feeling much better now. Please do not worry about checking in here. I know how crazy busy life gets and when one is dealing with health crises posting on PS is not a priority. Unless one has a broken leg and therefore lots of time on one's hands. And then PS posting takes front and center lol. :wink2:

Thank you so much for your warm and lovely post. You are too kind and I appreciate all your well wishes and healing dust. And I am sending big (((hugs))) and healing dust your way as well.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy...
1094232nk7m1yvh5r.gif
bighug5.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1405608627|3715058 said:

Aww, Dancing Fire, thank you bunches!!! I love flowers and I love hugs so the perfect combo to cheer me up. :appl:

AND Dancing Fire these are for you and your thoughtfulness...
1094232nk7m1yvh5r.gif
bighug5.gif

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I'm sorry you had a bad nights sleep. Is there anything the doctor suggests to help you sleep better. Its not like you can do anything that will make you tired. It must be so frustrating for you. Hopefully tonight will be better.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need advice and not sure where I should post because I am not sure who is reading this thread still so it may go unnoticed...but going to try here first.

My dh and I have 4 rescue kitties and that's a lot but we couldn't say no when a few years ago the last one (Tommy) needed a loving home . My sister who is a veterinarian knows how much I want a loving orange kitty because one of my very first cats was an orange one (Butch-he was sweet like sugar) and his personality was awesome. And he was a tough little guy too. According to my sister there is something about orange kitties being super friendly and special in general. Mind you not all special are but many of the orange short hairs are special.

Well, this poor orange kitty was hit by a car in Great Neck Long Island a few days ago and an animal rescue group brought him to the clinic where my sister works and they operated on him (broken leg and it had to be pinned like mine!!! Coincidence or a sign that this was meant to be???) and he is recuperating. He is super sweet according to my sister and just a love bug. But he was already spoken for and not looking for a home.

My sister was visiting me yesterday and we were talking about it. I said if the home falls through let me know. She called a little while ago and the home fell through because the man who was going to adopt him has a home health care aid and she is deathly afraid of cats and won't continue working for him if he takes the cat.

I know my dh is against getting a fifth cat for many reasons but the main one being it is difficult traveling back and forth with them from NY to NJ. Of course we are no longer going every weekend due to my incapacitation for now but it is an important point because as soon as I recover we will resume that every weekend trip.

Other reasons are our allergies. We both test very high to cat dander and hair and have been dealing with it but sometimes it isn't easy. My dh gets shots still (for well over a decade now) and that helps as well as meds and I just take meds which help but it's still a challenge at times. Worth it to us though for sure. Just mentioning that a fifth cat won't help this issue.

Another problem is I cannot vacuum every day or every other day like I was doing and my dh doesn't have the time with all the other things he is doing. So even a cleaning service won't keep the home free of cat hair because we cannot afford that every day. And it will be months before I can begin that every day vacuuming again.

Anyway I just called my dh at work because I am who I am and even with this knowledge the heart wants what it wants and I also know there is no better home for this dear kitty than ours. Of course my dh's first reaction is unhappy surprise because I know he doesn't want to disappoint me with all I have been going through since January let alone my broken leg. But he was pretty unhappy and when push comes to shove I don't want to make my dh unhappy or stressed and 5 cats are a lot I know that.

But is one extra cat really all that extra hard? Anybody on my side here LOL...and if not that's OK too. I just want to hear other's thoughts on this issue. Keep in mind we would be able to give this darling cat an amazing loving home.

Calliecake|1405627697|3715263 said:
Missy, I'm sorry you had a bad nights sleep. Is there anything the doctor suggests to help you sleep better. Its not like you can do anything that will make you tired. It must be so frustrating for you. Hopefully tonight will be better.

Thank you Callie. My original surgeon (the one I didn't go with) suggested Benadryl but it keeps me very foggy. I think I will see if the difficulty sleeping continues or if perhaps when I get so exhausted I will have a good night's sleep the next night. I could deal with that.

Any idea what the right thing is to do about this dear homeless kitty? LOL I think I know what PSers are going to say but I just don't think 5 is much more difficult than 4...

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take the homeless kitty. They are like children: one is a MASSIVE life change & upheaval. Two onwards just slot right in =)

I am doing really well, thank you sweets! I had a giant Birthday in June (the Big '4' '0' :-o ) but it was great. Hubby whisked me away for 3 days to Jersey Island CHILD FREE which was lovely, though I missed my curly haired little babies so much! And of course diamonds, which I haven't posted in SMTB yet. Bad me. I had my .33 studs upgraded to .50 each ear, and my .40 floating pendant changed for a .75 carat. And he let me keep my originals as they were precious - studs were for my 25th from my parents & he bought me the pendant a few weeks after we met, so they have felt like a part of my body for years. So now I have a new set, plus 2 daughters who no doubt in about 15 years will be playing the First Dibs Game :lol:

Anyway, enough about me. How are you getting on? And get Angry Birds. It's brilliant :))

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Missy, I can hear in your post how badly you want to take this baby in and give him a good home. Can you agree to foster this kitty until a good home is found for him? Do you think once the kitty is in your home Greg will fall in love with him? If so, I'd agree to foster him and then after a few weeks talk to Greg again about keeping him. I think once he's in your home Greg isn't going to want to give him up. I also agree that you probably won't see much of a difference with one more cat. How upset did Greg seem when you talked to him?
How bad are both of your cat allergies? Hives, really swollen eyes or do the medicines and shots make them tolerable?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex T|1405630945|3715312 said:
Take the homeless kitty. They are like children: one is a MASSIVE life change & upheaval. Two onwards just slot right in =)

I am doing really well, thank you sweets! I had a giant Birthday in June (the Big '4' '0' :-o ) but it was great. Hubby whisked me away for 3 days to Jersey Island CHILD FREE which was lovely, though I missed my curly haired little babies so much! And of course diamonds, which I haven't posted in SMTB yet. Bad me. I had my .33 studs upgraded to .50 each ear, and my .40 floating pendant changed for a .75 carat. And he let me keep my originals as they were precious - studs were for my 25th from my parents & he bought me the pendant a few weeks after we met, so they have felt like a part of my body for years. So now I have a new set, plus 2 daughters who no doubt in about 15 years will be playing the First Dibs Game :lol:

Anyway, enough about me. How are you getting on? And get Angry Birds. It's brilliant :))

Happy 40th Alex!!! It sounds like a wonderful celebration and beautiful gifts! And don't forget we need to see the birthday bling when you have a chance. :appl:
Your daughters are going to be lucky (blingy) ladies when they get a bit older!

I forgot to check out Angry Birds today so tomorrow it is on my agenda for sure. It's amazing how doing nothing all day goes so darn fast. :wink2:

cons.gif

happybirthdayemoticon.gif

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
another day, another day closer to being on your feet. Hope you are able to get some sleep!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1405637527|3715373 said:
Oh Missy, I can hear in your post how badly you want to take this baby in and give him a good home. Can you agree to foster this kitty until a good home is found for him? Do you think once the kitty is in your home Greg will fall in love with him? If so, I'd agree to foster him and then after a few weeks talk to Greg again about keeping him. I think once he's in your home Greg isn't going to want to give him up. I also agree that you probably won't see much of a difference with one more cat. How upset did Greg seem when you talked to him?
How bad are both of your cat allergies? Hives, really swollen eyes or do the medicines and shots make them tolerable?

Callie, you're a genius!!! I cannot believe I didn't think of that. Let me present that option to Greg and see what he says. He was very unhappy about potentially adopting a fifth cat but perhaps fostering won't sound so bad to him and then will give us time to see if it will work with our other cats and with having the extra in terms of allergies and all that stuff.

The cat allergies involve hives (me), allergic asthma (both of us) that can get bad but is usually under control with a few inhalers and pills and allergy injections (dh). In general it is very manageable and there is no other option because our cats are family. Problem is with me not being able to vacuum every day it might get a bit more difficult to keep controlled but I feel confident we can do it. Greg is getting shots every 2 weeks right now but he can switch to every week again if necessary. I hope I don't sound crazy or insensitive to my sweet sweet dh. I won't push him on this so if he is really against the fostering possibility I will let it go. Because he means more to me than getting another cat but I will be heartbroken. And with my broken leg that's a lot of broken body parts. :blackeye:

But I will not use the broken leg for leverage (haha get it :cheeky: ) because I don't play dirty. I know my dh very well and if I pushed enough he would give in because he knows what a crappy year I have been having and I know he feels very badly about that. But when I spoke with him while he was at work earlier he sounded so unhappy about getting another (I think all this extra work he is doing now because I cannot do anything is definitely exhausting him) that I just asked him to think about it.

And when he got home tonight we just had time for dinner as he had a board meeting right after and we didn't discuss the topic. But when he gets back from the board meeting I will broach the topic of fostering. Which may not even be a possibility because the rescue group wants to find him a forever home and rightly so. If it were up to me solely this cat would become a part of our family.

Thanks for that wonderful suggestion Callie. Whether or not it works out it is a great idea.

luv2sparkle|1405643450|3715426 said:
another day, another day closer to being on your feet. Hope you are able to get some sleep!

Thanks luv2sparkle! Hopefully I will be :snore: :snore: :snore: and having sweet dreams tonight. And sweet dreams to you too.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I really think this kitty will find a way into Greg's heart. Thank you so much for your sweet remarks. Please remember I told the whole Pricescope community just how stupid I am a few days ago. Your post made me think of one of the men I used to work with whose daughter volunteered at an animal shelter. The family had two dogs that were very loved. The daughter came home with a puppy that needed to be fostered until a loving home could be found. He was NOT happy about the foster puppy being at their home. This puppy fell madly in love with him over everyone in the family. She only wanted to sit with him at night and would cry when he was leaving for work. Within 3 days I knew that puppy wasn't leaving their home. He called the shelter and told them they better not even think about finding another home for HIS dog. His wife used to joke that he'd leave her and his daughter before he'd ever leave HiS dog.

I know you would never do anything that would make Greg really unhappy. It is very obvious or anyone who reads your posts just how much you truly love your husband. :angel:

mn_shopaholic

Shiny_Rock
Missy, as someone who has had 5 cats before I would have to agree with Alex T who said "They are like children: one is a MASSIVE life change & upheaval. Two onwards just slot right in" so long as you and your dh are on the same page with regards to adding number 5.

As far as the allergies go, have you thought about adding an air purifier with a HEPA filter if you don't already have one? Something like: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00440EKRG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=11L8N5YX5N5PP&coliid=I3P3RWA8133IK6&psc=1 or http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A9PTSFO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=11L8N5YX5N5PP&coliid=I3QG7SQJG3DR56

We've had air purifiers on each level of our home since one of our kitties was diagnosed with a respiratory ailment/allergies - his chest x-rays/lung condition improved after we got the purifiers, so they should help with human allergies too (descriptions for some models say they will filter out pet dander). It wouldn't replace the need to vacuum, but you might be able to go a bit longer between deep cleans.

I don't tend to post much, but I've checked this thread periodically and am sending lots of dust your way for a speedy and full recovery!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1405644962|3715441 said:
Missy, I really think this kitty will find a way into Greg's heart. Thank you so much for your sweet remarks. Please remember I told the whole Pricescope community just how stupid I am a few days ago. Your post made me think of one of the men I used to work with whose daughter volunteered at an animal shelter. The family had two dogs that were very loved. The daughter came home with a puppy that needed to be fostered until a loving home could be found. He was NOT happy about the foster puppy being at their home. This puppy fell madly in love with him over everyone in the family. She only wanted to sit with him at night and would cry when he was leaving for work. Within 3 days I knew that puppy wasn't leaving their home. He called the shelter and told them they better not even think about finding another home for HIS dog. His wife used to joke that he'd leave her and his daughter before he'd ever leave HiS dog.

I know you would never do anything that would make Greg really unhappy. It is very obvious or anyone who reads your posts just how much you truly love your husband. :angel:

LOL Callie. You are very far from stupid. You are as smart as you are kind. And you know how kind I think you are so there you go.

I love that story but Greg is pretty smart too and he knows darn well that's a possibility. A similar scenario happened with our Francesca. My dh wasn't ready for another cat (our beloved Billy had died just a short while before) but I fell in love with Franceca. He said he wasn't ready but she was climbing all over him at my sister's clinic. Frankie was a rescue found by firemen the week before) and he acquiesced because I was so sure that she should be part of our family (and we only had 1 cat at that time-Fred). Anyway fast forward to the present and Frankie is most definitely Greg's cat. She nurses him (sucks his arm) like they do their mothers and she has bonded with him like he is her mother. Which makes sense because my dh is way more maternal than I am lol.

So I presented the foster possibility to Greg when he got back from the meeting and he said that if he considered that it would mean he was OK with having 5 cats which he just is not especially because he has to do everything right now. Which I totally get. So I was about to email my sister (too late to call she has little girls who are sleeping now) and he said let him sleep on it. But I am not getting my hopes up because I see how exhausted he is with all that has happened in these last 3 weeks and we have a long road left to travel with me being basically immobile and everything falling on him. But we'll see how we both feel in the morning. I so wish I could go and meet this kitty but my sister's clinic is far from us and my doctor said no travel except to his office/hospital and back.

Thank you so much for your wise (yes that's right wise) advice Callie and also and this is a big one to me - for your support. I so appreciate it. (((Hugs))).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results