shape
carat
color
clarity

Violinists on PS: String Advice

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm too lazy to sign into a String forum but know we have lots of violinists here. My level is past the ABRSM Grade 8 and have played in an amateur orchestra for several years. I know that gut is generally known as best but with my son also sharing the same instrument, I think it will be frustrating for him to be continually tuning his instrument, especially given that only the E has a fine tuner. I was perfectly happy to play Pirastro Chomcor (gasp!) for many years but would like something better, yet not too expensive. I am not at all impressed with the often recommended Dominants, which didn't sound that great for the price and rusted so quickly!

Any recommendations?

vadenstar

Rough_Rock
Used dominant for a while, but my favorite have been Evah Pirazzi with the gold plated e string. Don't remember the price difference, but the difference in the strings was noticeable. Hope that helps!

Also, I have played the violin for 15 years, and I have never once heard of the strings rusting...that does not seem normal. Also sometime tuning does not always have to do with the strings but the violin itself. Gut core strings do need more tuning and attention then synthetics. Have you thought about adding fine tuners on all strings? I know its not as attractive, but it makes tuning easier for beginners.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How long did it take for the Evah Pirazzi to "settle"? In the grand scheme of things, the thickness of the string shouldn't matter but I dislike the fatness of the Dominants. :lol:

ETA
I call it rust but it's not really rust(?), I think? There are unattractive dark patches, which made me worry they are going to break at any moment. Having a string snap at your face is an experience I do not wish on anyone. The violin has been fine tuned by a local violin builder so it is very easy to tune. He readjusted the pegs, fingerboard, post and bridge so it is very playable and easy to tune.

I really don't want to add fine tuners on all the strings but it sounds like I might have to? I know the gut strings are very stretchy and as such, fine tuners are useless. This isn't the case for the new synthetic cores?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I used to use Pirastro Tonica? They lasted a very long time, I rarely had to replace them. It is synthetic, and I found them easy to tune.

But if you're sharing, maybe it is not suitable.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Julie,
How is the playability and tone/sound of the Tonica? It's so confusing with the many different types and brands of strings now in the market.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Amazon reviews are pretty on point, I agree the E is tinny compared to the others and I didn't really like it.
http://www.amazon.com/Pirastro-Tonica-Violin-String-Set/product-reviews/B003LRVVWA/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_next_2?ie=UTF8&pageNumber=2&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

This guy has a few string reviews, so you might find it useful http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A1JHX9N3X3KZD0/ref=cm_cr_pr_auth_rev?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview

Not sure what price point you are looking at but they are affordable, looks like same pricepoint as Chromcor. All the Chromcor reviews are from fiddlers.

Chromcor description:
Tone: Bright and clear
Playability: Very responsive
Stability: Virtually resistant to climate and temperature change

Evah Pirazzi description:
Tone: Great power and nuance
Playability: Highly responsive while maintaining ease of playability
Stability: Virtually resistant to climate and temperature change

Tonica description:
Tone: Clear and brilliant
Playability: Quick response and articulation
Stability: Resistant to climate and temperature change

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A $40 price point would be great but it seems that only steel cores are around there, plus they tend to be bright and one toned. Oh well. I did appreciate their durability and holding tune, no matter how hot, cold, dry or humid the weather. :bigsmile:

It also seems that the Tonica has been reformulated with the latest reviews not as kind. It is brighter and flatter than the old Tonica.
The Evah seems to go dead after a month, so considering the price, isn't cost effective to me.

I'm looking into the Obligato now; very pricey but if the sound is good AND it last, could be worth it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

vadenstar

Rough_Rock
When I was in college playing several hrs a day, it didn't take very long for the Evah's to break in. Maybe a day or two. One trick that my violin prof would do is use a pencil and rub the lead in the string slats on the bridge and by the top nut where the strings touch before going in to the scroll and on the pegs where they make contact with the whole the are inside. It would help the way the strings would move when tuning, but also give it a bite where the pegs wont slip.

Some strings do tarnish like some metals do. Sometimes if the haven't been used recently. One way you can always tell if you haven't practiced in a while is because the strings can turn your fingers black. I am wondering if this is what you are seeing? I would never worry for a string to snap/break unless it is clearly unraveling or the strings are old and have lost their brightness.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vaden,
You are right! I think the darkness is tarnish because the old strings (which are now removed) are the purple Dominants which are silver.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only listed to the Pirastro strings... Which ones did you like, Chrono?

Listening to the Thomastik now...

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I know I am the last person you would expect to contribute to this thread. And before we go any further I do not play. However, a few years ago I decided to start learning lutherie. Another hobby I certainly did not need, but I always say that if there are things in this life you want to do you best start doing them, because time is much shorter than you think. Now lutherie, like goldsmithing and gems, is not cheap, and is, like those others, tool heavy. all the tools are specialized, with reason, as many were invented in order to give rise to the instrument's invention. As some of you know, I carve a lot of wood, so it isn't too much of a strech for me to want to apply carving and carpentry with reasoning to begin producing instruments.
Last year there was a sort of lutherie convention here in NYC called Mondomusica. I bought the passes and went, totally unsure what I would find, or what I hoped to find; pure reconnaissance. I saw the exhibits (tools from Stradivarius museum never before been to USA), talked with many vendors, bought many pieces of tonewood.
There was a manufacturer of strings who was there who really impressed me. Then known as gamutstrings.com , now called gamutmusic.com. There are gut strings doped with copper or silver as well as straight gut:
http://www.gamutstrings.com/catalog.html?&Vl=79&Tp=2

I got a little lost at Mondomusica and when I got to the Strad studio exhibit and other museum items I went in through what turned out to be the exit. Of course I photographed everything I saw, at least until someone came to me and told me that I was not allowed to. Big mouth me said you ought to put up a sign saying as much, I had no idea. They told me there is a sign at th e entrance. I said there wasnt when I came in. Then I Went to show them and they told me I came in the exit. Ah well, for me a happy détournement. So here are some pics.

eta: sorry for the threadjack

vile_lint.jpg

boxwoodwillow.jpg

fingerboard.jpg

straddleamati.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Sorry for perpetuating my threadjack. I thought I should post a few pics of the instrument I made last year. It is my own design, a ukecello. The top is redwood reclaimed from the Coronado Hotel near Hearst Castle. The back and sides are east indian rosewood. The purfling, the fingerboard the bridge and the tailpiece are bois de rose from very old stock, from gilmer wood in portland oregon. The neck and scroll are big leaf maple on the quarter.

_20301.jpg

unmolded.jpg

insideouttopmore.jpg

topbracedandribbed.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JulieN|1405543508|3714626 said:
I only listed to the Pirastro strings... Which ones did you like, Chrono?
Listening to the Thomastik now...

Of course I enjoyed the Infeld Blue and Red but I thought the Tonica had a good balance of sound versus cost. Seems like it would be a great in-between string for a beginner and advanced player. I was digging around yesterday and read promising reviews about the new Corelli Cantiga.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VL,
Love the pictures; I've never seen a Strad up this close before, especially focused on specific parts of the violin. Also, how do you play your ukecello? It looks too short for the traditional ground posture but too think for a lap play.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
I am only a beginner, so have no advice, but I am enjoying the links and pics.

We also now have the perfect emotie for this thread.
:boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :))

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I liked the Infeld Red, too. My strings are shot, I will definitely need new ones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results