carat
color
clarity

What's your Internet speed and bill?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check your Internet connection's speed here: www.speedtest.net

We have FIOS and pay $130 monthly for the below internet speed and the cheapest basic set of TV channels for my SO, and no phone line.

What do you get?
What do you pay?

screen_shot_2014-07-15_at_12.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just for cable, I think we pay 65ish. We have comcast and I don't know our speed. I do know that the reason that we still have comcast for internet even though we switched the TV over to Direct TV last year is because comcast had a faster speed and DH felt that was important.

I also added the phone service back to comcast a couple months ago. We had been cell phone only but I realized that since I work at home so much it was worth it to me to have a land line. THAT is an UNREASONABLE 40 bucks though. So I am looking for a cheaper alternative to that ASAP.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
At the very back of my house, what should be out of range for my wireless router,it's slow. LOL
702, 8.64, 0.98
44, 11.46, 0.97
78, 7.83, 1.02
63, 9.83, 1.03
Time Warner, Standard, $34.99/mo,
hardware: Motorola SURFboard SB5101 DOCSIS 2.0 ; Netgear WNDR3400 N600, INTEL 5300AGN wifi adapter in laptop

I get much better scores at the front of the house, where the router is. Back here, I have 1-2 bars signal strength on 2.4 GHz and the 5GHz isn't even detected. I'm at the most distant point from the router now. I don't stream video and I'm not a gamer. So for ordinary browsing and reading and watching something on YouTube, it's enough speed. Basically, I am getting the "up to 15Mbps" that I am paying for.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3625612838.png

Thanks for the link to the speedtest site! It's really useful.

Supposedly we are supposed to get 100M but in reality it rarely goes over 50M :(
For broadband and basic cable we currently pay US$42 a month. It's quite expensive compared to other service providers here..

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
We get about 62MB downloads and pay £3.75 per month. This is however in a bundle with full satellite tv and a phone line costing £30 per month.

kefira

Shiny_Rock
We have Comcast Business. It's $75/mo for internet only, but the fee is reimbursed through my husband's work (it gets added to his paycheck). We don't watch traditional tv/cable or have a home phone. I have noticed that both the download and upload speeds have slowed in the three years we've been using this service. It used to be more like 42 down and 15 up.

speedtest.png

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Same cable modem and wifi router, different laptop (Realtek RTL8191SE adapter), and in the room directly underneath the router (strong 5 bars signal, 2.4GHz), and using Waterfox 30.0 instead of Firefox:
ping 38
download 16.04
upload 1.06

repeat:
31, 15.82, 1.09

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too slow and too much.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1405435725|3713626 said:
Too slow and too much.

Ditto - about $100/month for just phone and internet (no cable). I need to shop around for a better deal.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My bill is $79ish for just internet. I have dish for TV.

Ping 11 ms
Download 18.31
Upload 5.76

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
$49 per month for Business Class DSL from Megapath (slow by today's standards) with a static IP address (used by hubby to run our Linux webserver hosting our website). We refuse to use Comcast, and AT&T Uverse is not available in our neighborhood.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Timely subject for my house.

We killed the cable tv. We bought an HD antenna at Costco, placed it on a window (its white and as thin as a piece of paper, you can paint them to match wall color) plugged it into our Vizio TV and pull 45 channels for free. I have Amazon Prime so I watch shows for free there. I also have Netflix.

We bought a Tivo roamio to record shows and pause live TV (this replaces the DVR we had from Cox Cable).

Brought the landline phone down to $13.99 month + tax, kicking it old school with no caller id, call block, etc. I'll just hang up on someone if necessary, bwahahaha.

Internet: $62 for 25 Mbps.

Bill Before from Cox: $204 month.
Bill Now from Cox: $91 month for landline and mid-level internet.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know what our internet speed is (although most days I need to restart my computer at least once before it will load something -- don't know if that's my old laptop though working slowly than it used to or whether it's the internet connection).

We have Comcast (cable, internet, and phone bundle, but we don't use the phone line) and I think our bill is just under $150 per month. It's outrageous, especially because we pay for so many channels we don't watch and most OnDemand movies suck. That's super frustrating. We'd love to do an a la carte type of thing and customize our cable channels.

My husband would love to cut out cable altogether, but a lot of the things I like to watch don't seem to be on Hulu or Netflix.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My results are 14.37 Mbps, upload 2.89 Mbps, and ping 18 ms.

We are with charter and have high speed internet and 2 phone lines for $120 a month.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
I live in Africa in the middle of absolutely nowhere and am too embarrassed to post my stats.

Wildly envious even of you who claim to have "slow" internet.

Wanna swap? Pleeeeeeeaase???

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in a smaller town on acreage and no DSL or cable internet available at my house. So its dial-up or satellite only. We have no house phone so no dial-up, besides I could not post all the lovely pics if I had dial-up! Satellite internet is too expensive.

We have verizon smart phones and have held on to our unlimited data packages for 2 phones for dear life! We have 4G available and use both of our phones as wifi hotspots to get on the internet. Speeds are usually 12-14 mbps and DH is able to play PS3 online, we stream netflix once in awhile too, plus all our internet browsing/upload/download on 2 macs. Our data usage has been close to 50GB in the high months. Thank god for unlimited data. Our cell phone plan for 2 smart phones with wifi hotspots is $203 a month but we now have to buy our phones at full price to keep the plan we have. Needless to say we try to keep them in good working order and pay for the insurance on them because I have had to use it.

Wish we had the speeds you guys with cable internet have.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I ended up with:
ping 52 ms
down 6.13 mbps
up 1.07 mbps

We pay $35/month for internet only.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did the test twice:
75 ms
download: 272.04 MBPS
upload: 7.01

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm on Long Island and I have Cablevision. We have upgraded internet, phone, normal cable with DVR (2 boxes). We pay $115 monthly. We call them yearly to threaten leaving when our "promotional" price is due to end and they magically renew it for us.

speedtestresult.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results