shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie looking for advice on pearl ropes

jysfung

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Pleasure to meet you all! I'm a newbie coming out of lurkdom...and admitting my obsession with pearls. My husband and I had the opportunity to honeymoon in French Polynesia, where I fell in love with these beautiful gems.

Now that we're back, I've been itching to start building a pearl wardrobe. I currently have a baroque Tahitian strand and dangle earrings, and am looking to purchase a long (100"+) white rope.

Would love to hear your thoughts on what I should be looking for in a pearl rope. I am definitely going for freshwater pearls, but am very confused regarding the ideal criteria I should be sticking to when it comes to pearl quality (AA/AAA/freshadama/metallic). I want to purchase a rope with pearls sized 7.5-8.0mm, with high luster and as round shapes as possible...yet while still remaining within a reasonable budget. I might be convinced to go up a pearl size (8.5mm max), but it might seem to be too overwhelming for my frame (5'4"-ish, US size 2-4).

Thanks again for reading, and appreciated for your advice!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
I think the size you are considering (7.5-8mm) will be plenty big enough for your frame and will likely be really heavy at 100"! I definitely would not go larger and would probably go for a smaller mm myself (I am your height and a little thinner). Freshadama would be my first choice and budget conscious if you go for a smaller mm rope, but I would be fine with AAA too. I would contact Hisano and discuss options with her, she is very petite herself and will be able to help you choose the perfect rope. Good luck deciding and please keep us posted!

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Hi & welcome! I don't know your budget but I think AAA freshies would be a good choice and definitely don't go to a larger mm. I agree with LitGeek - Hisano will definitely be an asset as you select your rope! Good luck!!!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I have 5 ropes in varying lenths, I usually double and triple them. I am not as petite as you size wise, but I have a weirdly small neck. so my neck might be close to yours. I'll post some freshwater neck shots and tell you the MM if that helps at all.

photo_2_84.jpg
really low quality freshwater rope 100Inches 8MM

photo-7_4.jpg
54Inch AA+ freshwater rope 54" 7mm (I believe or 8)

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
pkinnew|1405445855|3713732 said:
Hi & welcome! I don't know your budget but I think AAA freshies would be a good choice and definitely don't go to a larger mm. I agree with LitGeek - Hisano will definitely be an asset as you select your rope! Good luck!!!

+2 on voting to have Hisano help! everyone at PP is amazing to work with! You can't go wrong!!!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You can have a short and classy rope (say 60cm) with top quality pearls or you can have a 10ft rope with so-so pearls (or with good pearls if you want to spend that much of course) We've made a few 10ft ones after making the first from some 10mm AA+. (Bored in the workshop one afternoon and just didn't stop knotting until it was 10ft long)
A long rope with lightly lower quality pearls can be great for lots of casual permutations.
My only caveat with white round pearls these days is that even the supermarkets are carrying decent fakes, so maybe consider baroques. Depends on if you want the world to know you are wearing real pearls or if you are content that just you know?

jysfung

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone -- thanks for all of the great advice. I'll get in touch with Pearl Paradise!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results