shape
carat
color
clarity

How much do you spend at Costco?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
A spin off to Kenny's Costco free sample thread... How much do you typically spend when doing a Costco Shopping trip?

I recently got my card renewed to purchase an item but haven't gone "grocery shopping" there for a number of years mostly because I'm worried my cart will pile up and I'll have a $300+ bill at the register. Instead I keep ending up at Trader Joe's and spending around $70-110 but running out of good stuff in a couple of days...

So, what's your typical shopping-trip damage?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy petrol at Costco twice a week. I suppose that should be included too? Grocery wise, only $200 or so a month, mostly on non-perishables.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
We are usually around $120, and I'd say we go every few weeks. If we are buying diapers or pet food, though, it will be more. That $120 almost always includes non-food items....clothes for the kid, DVDs, etc. We buy a ton of fruit there, as well as a few frozen food items (their orange chicken is the best!). Yogurt, bread, ground beef, chicken breast, crackers, cereal, etc...we buy all of that there.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I go in fits and starts. Sometimes I don't go to Costco for months and other times I feel like I'm there at least once a week. I buy staples (TP, paper towels, prosecco... ) but I also end up with a bunch of "stuff" from the middle section like clothes and books. The main reason I go now is because of gas. I had no idea how much cheaper it was than a regular gas station (literally 30-40 cents!) until I started driving more due to this renovation project. Last week I went for ziplock baggies and a rotisserie chicken and I spent $248!!!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
We go at least 2 a month and spend at least $150 but usually around 300-400.

However we grocery shop for me my fiancee and his mom, and we buy pet food for 9 cats, and that includes gas.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
We usually go about 1X a month, and spend $200-300. We don't buy a lot of food items because it's just the 4 of us. We get house supplies like shampoo/conditioner, detergent, paper towels, toothpaste, coffee, paper plates etc etc.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My weekly run averages $60, with an occasional $100 or $150.
My staples from Costco are are, milk, cheese, salmon, hot rotisserie chicken, Rx, paper towels, toilet paper, dog food, nuts for baking, olive oil.

I'm pretty immune to impulse purchases.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Actually I totally forgot to talk about my occasional snack-food run to Costco. Yesterday I bought almost $70 of snacks to keep at work(to share with coworkers: pretzels, cashews, Hawaiian trail mix, savory pub mix, chocolate covered almonds)!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We average around $200 a week with some weeks being much higher but rarely any lower. We also are not finished with our shopping as Costco doesn't have everything. We usually make a Whole Foods trip every other week along with Trader Joe's and rely on the supermarket for miscellaneous items.

I rationalize our Costco spending by that cash back we get at the end of the year using our Executive card.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
We spend $200- $300 every two weeks, and we buy everything there. I go to other grocery stores only for seasoning packets (chili mix, chicken gravy) or an occasional snack that they don't have, maybe once a month. When I go to other grocery stores, I'm shocked at the prices. Why would I pay $5-$7 a pound for chicken breasts, when Costco is under $3 a pound? And I HATE running out of stuff, so we have a freezer and eat every bit of what we buy. We freeze bread, buns, muffins, bagels, tortillas, etc., and they're ready to eat after a few seconds in the microwave. I've found that a kitchen scale is the KEY to defrosting meat; I plug the weight into my microwave, and it defrosts perfectly.

We are chugging down fruit lately, since so much is in season. And we have developed a terrible addiction to their Kirkland chocolate covered macadamia and caramel clusters. Why waste the calories on lesser stuff? :naughty: And all that romaine for $3? It lasts for 2-3 weeks versus one head grocery store iceberg for $1.99 that wilts in a few days. :| Also their Kirkland seafood is fantastic.

See, you got me started . . . :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1405455292|3713866 said:
We spend $200- $300 every two weeks, and we buy everything there. I go to other grocery stores only for seasoning packets (chili mix, chicken gravy) or an occasional snack that they don't have, maybe once a month. When I go to other grocery stores, I'm shocked at the prices. Why would I pay $5-$7 a pound for chicken breasts, when Costco is under $3 a pound? And I HATE running out of stuff, so we have a freezer and eat every bit of what we buy. We freeze bread, buns, muffins, bagels, tortillas, etc., and they're ready to eat after a few seconds in the microwave. I've found that a kitchen scale is the KEY to defrosting meat; I plug the weight into my microwave, and it defrosts perfectly.

We are chugging down fruit lately, since so much is in season. And we have developed a terrible addiction to their Kirkland chocolate covered macadamia and caramel clusters. Why waste the calories on lesser stuff? :naughty: And all that romaine for $3? It lasts for 2-3 weeks versus one head grocery store iceberg for $1.99 that wilts in a few days. :| Also their Kirkland seafood is fantastic.

See, you got me started . . . :lol:

Oh and don't forget their amazing wild salmon prices! They do have great deals on seafood and organic produce. :appl:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do most of my shopping at Costco too. If I go to the regular grocery store it is only for one thing. My usual bill is between 200-400 every two weeks. I buy most of my fruit and veggies there, especially organic produce. My bill will be going down a little bit since I will now be buying all my beef and chicken from a ranch in Temecula. I will still buy seafood there, toilet paper, laundry soap and organic eggs, and Irish butter (oh my gosh, I love this stuff). I love getting the check back yearly too. That is usually my splurge money. I buy stuff with that that I wouldn't ordinarily buy, like chocolate.

I do buy some seasonal stuff there like wrapping paper and christmas decorations. We have bought TV's and appliances too.

We did go in the other day and just buy 1 lightbulb. We needed to make sure that it fit before we invested in changing all our can lights to LED. It did and it is awesome. Costco saves 5 dollars per bulb and we probably have 40.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I go to BJ's which is basically the same thing. It's usually at least $100 but can go up to $350 if I buy a larger item like seasonal things or if it's the holiday season.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
$50 - $100 weekly.

Staples are baby romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, meat for hubby, frozen fish for me, sweets for hubby, some type of berries/cherries to go with my plain oatmeal. Impulse buys like books and Peet's coffee cards (was $70 for $100 in gift cards last week).

Gas - once a month, we are retired and drive a hybrid.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
I try to get everything there, but you still have to go to a regular grocery store for some things. I get all my gas there. Last year's total was about $3600. My trips are all over the place cost-wise.
iLander, the chocolate covered almonds are fabulous; I keep a jug in my desk so I never have to go the the candy machine. We have a deep freeze in the garage because of their meat also. They have some of best quality meat in town and the prices are amazing. The best all-around hamburger I've ever cooked with is $3 a pound.
I got the mattress and box spring in our guest room from Costco and we love it.
People don't believe when I tell them I can get a year's worth of Kirkland Zyrtec for less than $20.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Way, way too much.

I've walked out of there with small buys... under 40 bucks for some OTC medications. And I've spent over 800 (we bought our TV there, and a mattress). Average bill is over a hundred I would say though.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Their OTC meds are awesom. The Kirkland infant Tylenol was so cheap, but I can't find it in our local stores. You would get three bottles for I think $10.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I stay far far away from Costco. I know myself too well and would blow my entire paycheck if allowed in there. LOL :lol:

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely $0.00 I haven't had a Sam's Club or Costco membership in years. I quit shopping there probably 10-11 years ago. Last time I checked, neither of those retailers had spectacular deals or spectacular merchandise that I could not find elsewhere. And I tired of having to buy a membership just to get in the store so that I could walk around and see if there was anything in there that I wanted to buy. So, I just quit them. I also don't shop any online retailers like Zulilly that make me register with them before I cam browse the content. Window shopping should always be free, imo.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just noticed.... MC and Gypsy, your kitties could be siblings......

NTave

Shiny_Rock
I had a SAMs club membership but I let it expire. I found I only used it for paper products and the occasional big purchase (I bought a twin mattress for one of the kids). We have a food chain that has great prices and I spend most if my money there. We buy a ridic amount of produce and it wasn't cheaper at SAMs. Meats were more expensive too. I figured for what I buy it wasn't worth it. Costco is too far away. One thing I did like buying was diapers once upon a time, they had a great price for those.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander|1405455292|3713866 said:
When I go to other grocery stores, I'm shocked at the prices. Why would I pay $5-$7 a pound for chicken breasts, when Costco is under $3 a pound?

Ha, yeah, I pay $7 a pound for chicken but justify it because it's organic. I need to check out the organic prices at Costco.

I'm also an impulse shopper so a thought would be allocating a certain amount each trip toward something I don't need but looks fun.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I don't shop at Costco because the locations are completely across town, but I do shop at Sam's.

I probably go every six weeks give or take. I'd guess I spend around $100 or less each time. It's usually meats, beer, peeled garlic, sour cream, maybe some cheese or English muffins. I also tend to pick up cute summer dresses and tops from the "middle section" and the occasional piece of clothing for the husband (what they carry is less his "style"). I try to stay out of the frozen section as we don't eat a lot of processed foods. I do sometimes buy bags of shrimp though.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get gas at least once a week, so I guess on average $120-$150/mo on gas.

Otherwise Maybe $100/mo if that? They have Cottenelle Ultra Jumbo Roll 36 packs on sale this month here and we hoard that shit, so I bought 4 of those, and may go back for more. They only have it maybe once a year and I don't love their brand or Charmin. Yes I realize that it wipes my rear end but I don't want the barrier between my hand and my rear end to be woosie and disintegrate!

I like to buy meat there, though I usually don't go when I don't think I will use it all fairly quickly because I don't have a deep freeze and I don't have enough freezer space in the freezer for a lot.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle|1405520617|3714379 said:
I just noticed.... MC and Gypsy, your kitties could be siblings......

:cheeky: For MC's sake I am hoping hers only looks like my Hally but doesn't act like her. My little black and white is a demon on four paws.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We go routinely, every 2 weeks like clockwork, and the bill is typically around $250 (average) per visit. We're a family of 3, but buy lots of things like cases of gatorade, french cheeses, wine, pet items (our dogs eat a combo of kibble and raw, so lots of whole organic chickens - yes, they're spoiled). The average also includes things like periodic toiletries, canned and dry goods, vitamins, light bulbs, etc.

In addition to that, we spend about another $100 per week on organic produce at the grocery store (organic adds up quickly), and maybe $80/month on high end pet food for the cats and dogs (for when they don't eat raw).

Damn, we spend a lot on food!

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
We live in Hawaii which is horribly expensive. We are a family of six and we spend about $350 a month at Costco.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
I only go to Costco about once every couple of months and then usually spend about $200.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Went today- $322.00 and $406. in optical for new contacts and glasses.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results