shape
carat
color
clarity

Decision between two round brilliant diamonds

Mace

Rough_Rock
I am deciding between two brilliant round cut Tiffany Diamonds,feedback would be appreciated as the decision is difficult:

2.11C, VVS2, H, Flu - None. 8.29 - 8.38 x 4.99mm
Double Excellence & V.G Polish.
Total Depth - 59%
Table - 60%
Crown H - 13.6%
Crown A - 33.9
Pavilion D - 43.3%
Pavilion A - 40.9
Medium Girdle - Faceted
Culet - None
Lower Half Length - 77%
Star Length - 51%

&

2.180 C, VS1, H, Flu - None. 8.44 -8.52 x 5.10mm
Triple Excellence.
Total Depth - 60.1%
Table - 58%
Crown H - 14.2%
Crown A - 33.4
Pavilion D - 43.4%
Pavilion A - 41.1
Thin-Med Girdle - Faceted
Culet - Very Small
Lower Half Length - 80%
Star Length - 55%

I have views both rings. The 2.11C is set slightly raised & the 2.18C is set lower. The Spread of the 2.18 is quiet impressive. Although there is only 2% difference in total depth, the depths make the diamonds look different. Both are beautiful but I am looking for a top performer which fractures the light beautifully. I welcome your opinions. thank you in advance.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Numbers on both look fine.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both look fine numbers-wise, score well on the HCA. Go for whichever one speaks to you.

Does it have to be Tiffany?

Mace

Rough_Rock
Yes it will be Tiffany as I have the opportunity to upgrade my current Tiffany ring as I am on the 5th year and final year for an upgrade.

I would like to have one diamond speaking to me however both diamonds had it's own attraction. I was hoping that by giving all of the specs on this forum that one diamond may have stood out from the other. I am finding the choice difficult, any one else out there have any opinions?

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OP, maybe let the light performance be the judge by taking both in all kinds of light conditions in the store, away from showroom lighting, cupping your hand around the diamond and see how it reacts? In a store environment it is hard to not get excited and carried away, at least that's my experience. I think I'd prefer the fatter arrows from the shorter LGF of the first one (I'm not sure you can really see the difference IRL, though), but I like the spread of the second. Does one seem to have more fire or colored flashes? What does the in house gemologist have to say about comparing the two?

Mace

Rough_Rock
Re:Experts- help! Decision between two round brilliant diamo

The in house gemologist was clearly drawn to the 2.18, she preferred the table size and really liked the cut angles. She also referred to the image of this diamond as classically Tiffany.

The 2.11C has a raised setting which worked very well with my symmetrical Tiffany shared diamond bands either side. The 2.18C which has the same Tiffany settings sits lower and slightly pushes the bands slightly apart. In my ideal world, I would prefer the 2.18C to be a higher settings as the 2.11C. I wander if it is set lower due to having a Culet?

During my time in the showroom, the 2.11C appeared to reflect light more but the 2.18C looked very elegant.

I am upgrading from a 1.71C therefore the 2.18C is offering me a 22% spread when face up as opposed to the 2.11 offering me 17% spread when face up. The bigger spread is very attractive but not everything.

The 2.11 has a raised setting which worked very well with my symmetrical Tiffany shared diamond bands either side. The 2.18C sits lower and slightly pushes the bands slightly apart. In my ideal world, I would prefer the 2.18C to be reset into a higher.

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
For Tiffany prices, I would hope they would be eager to reset whatever stone higher in the setting. I don't shop at Tiffany's so I don't know how they do things like this, but there are others who can may be address this?

ETA Can't go wrong with either stone, but the HCA predicts the first one to be more white light return (brilliance) while the second is spreadier with more colored flashes, as one expect given the proportions given. So my preference would probably be the second, but I agree, a slightly higher setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results