shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you spare some PS dust? (Health related)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
DUST!!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Beacon|1405053895|3711165 said:
Sorry you are going thru this bad time!

I have a lot of experience with breast biopsy so here's some info:

Ask what your BiRADS number is. It's a number between 0-5 and gives an idea how serious they think the mass looks. I would biopsy it first and remove it in a second procedure. Here's why: if they do a needle biopsy it leaves a minimal scar and if the mass turns out to be nothing, you might be able to leave it at that. If the biopsy shows cancer, a new decision will be made, most likely after an MRI, as to how to treat it. Maybe a lumpectomy will do the job, but they will want to do a sentinel node biopsy at the same time, which is a more involved staging operation. If you have the mass totally removed and it turns out to be cancer you will definitely need a second surgery to do the sentinel node procedure and it is tedious to have two surgeries.

The needle biopsy, whether US guided core or stereotactic, is not a difficult procedure and you will be awake and the recovery is easy and there is no scar. Both are adequately diagnostic for a mass. Fine needle biopsy sometimes is inaccurate, but it is doubtful you will have a fine needle biopsy. Core needle biopsies are done by a radiologist. Excisions are done by surgeons and if you have that done, be darned sure you hire a doctor who specializes in breast surgery, not a general surgeon.

In other words, it would be best to know what you are dealing with before you have a surgical procedure. Your situation may have unique features that make it different, but usually the above is good advice.

Good luck and i hope it is nothing at all!

Hi Beacon. Thanks for the info. My BIRADs score is 4A. The biopsy is going to be an US guided fine needle aspiration. After what you've said, that has me a little worried. :-o He said something about putting a clip in during the biopsy to check via mammogram that he got the right spot, though.

And yes, the surgeon does specialize in breast biopsies and breast surgeries, so I'm confident in that respect.

Actually, the more I think about this the more freaked out I get. I've been able to keep my mind off of it lately due to stress at work, going out of town for the 4th and dealing with bronchitis, but I'm starting to think about it more and more now that the time is getting closer...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear Lil Misfit, I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and I know you will be A-OK! Hang in there and don't let any dark thoughts in. Everything is being done correctly now and you will be just fine. And I am sending good thoughts and healing vibes and lots and lots of PS dust your way. Plus big (((hugs))).

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Dust! PS people are awesome.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Lil Misfit - I am thinking of you! It sounds like that Pamela is just awful and I do hope you reported the HIPAA violation.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
At birads 4a, 80% of biopsies run benign results, so hold onto that thought :)

I would question the use of fine needle aspiration in a solid mass. FNA is really better for aspirating a cyst. It is much less useful than a larger gauge needle would be for a mass. Ask about this. Maybe they mis informed you or maybe they think you only have a cyst. It is easy to tell the difference between a cyst and a mass, so they know which it is just by your image studies.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Beacon|1405120018|3711618 said:
At birads 4a, 80% of biopsies run benign results, so hold onto that thought :)

I would question the use of fine needle aspiration in a solid mass. FNA is really better for aspirating a cyst. It is much less useful than a larger gauge needle would be for a mass. Ask about this. Maybe they mis informed you or maybe they think you only have a cyst. It is easy to tell the difference between a cyst and a mass, so they know which it is just by your image studies.

Thanks. I really appreciate your insight. I will ask. I was wondering how they could put a clip in with such a small needle, too.... :confused:

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
The clip is normal and it is good. It is made of titanium, very tiny, will not set off metal detectors or anything. They use it if they need to go back in and re examine the area. I will warn you up front that after they do your needle biopsy they will put the clip in and take a mammogram. Sounds horrible, but you won't feel it.

Let me add, i had quite a few biopsies, all birads 4 and never got a cancer diagnosis. They found some odd stuff, but no cancer! So hope the same for you too!!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. That makes me feel better. The more research I do the more I think they are going to be doing a core needle biopsy. Honestly, the surgeon never mentioned what kind of biopsy he was doing, but the instructions that I got when I left his office only had 2 types listed: sterotactic and FNA. On mine "stereotactic biopsy" was crossed out, and my date/time was written under FNA. Perhaps they lump FNA and core needle together?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lil Misfit, I just now saw your post regarding the procedure you are having on Wednesday. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Sending lots of dust to you!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
36 hours to go....and I'm freaking out. :-o

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Beacon|1405121003|3711626 said:
The clip is normal and it is good. It is made of titanium, very tiny, will not set off metal detectors or anything. They use it if they need to go back in and re examine the area. I will warn you up front that after they do your needle biopsy they will put the clip in and take a mammogram. Sounds horrible, but you won't feel it.

Let me add, i had quite a few biopsies, all birads 4 and never got a cancer diagnosis. They found some odd stuff, but no cancer! So hope the same for you too!!

Beacon, do you have a family history of breast cancer?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lil Misfit|1405383526|3713326 said:

Thinking of you Lil Misfit...you are going to be OK. Hang in there and we are all thinking good thoughts for you. (((Hugs))).

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking of you and praying for you Lil Misfit! Hang in there, I know it is scary. Many many prayers for a benign result!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking of you lilMisfit, and sending calming and comforting thoughts to you, hang in there.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I'm thinking of you!! Positive thoughts all the way around!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
So sorry you are going through this. The wait is the worst! (have the t-shirt - mine was benign).

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hugs to you, Lil Misfit. I am sorry to hear you are going through this. Mega PS dust coming your way - good luck with your biopsy on Wednesday. :wavey:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Sending you lots and lots of dust Lil Misfit!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending lots of dust your way. You'll be in my thoughts tomorrow.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lil Misfit|1405383526|3713326 said:

I've been through this several times. I've had good outcomes and not good outcomes, but I can tell you this... you will be fine. Yes you will. I know it's nerve racking to go through. I always tell myself, what's there is there I can't change that, but I CAN get through it and so can you. Just take it one step at a time and don't project out. You have so many people supporting you. Blessings to you :wavey:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can do this, you're hanging in there beautifully!!!! Beacon gave u the stats, 80% are excellent odds. Assume that for yourself. Dust to you!!!!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Lil Misfit|1405383607|3713327 said:
Beacon|1405121003|3711626 said:

Beacon, do you have a family history of breast cancer?
Yes we do! My mother died from it. None the less, I did not get it. My sister also had a biopsy that came out benign. Try to take it easy. Do anything that will distract you, like shopping, cleaning, hanging with friends. It's a scary time - I understand.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending you big hugs and lots of healthy dust for your biopsy.

It is almost over! Just a little longer and the doctors will be walking in with big smiles telling you that you are just fine. :))

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1405403882|3713487 said:

It is almost over! Just a little longer and the doctors will be walking in with big smiles telling you that you are just fine. :))

I really hope that this happens for you!!! :appl: :appl:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
isaku5|1405453087|3713831 said:
TooPatient|1405403882|3713487 said:

I really hope that this happens for you!!! :appl: :appl:

Me too. Thanks for all the support you all have given me. I will update tomorrow after the procedure. I told DH that he needs to take me out for pie afterward (there's a Bakers Square near the hospital)! LOL :lol:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking of you tomorrow. :wavey:

Definitely have some delicious pie. :bigsmile:

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Lots and lots of dust and good wishes for tomorrow!!

imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1405476311.jpg

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparklelu|1405476317|3714143 said:
Lots and lots of dust and good wishes for tomorrow!!

+100 Looking forward to the update where you tell everyone that all went well and it's all good news.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Dust and good wishes your way.

You deserve something special and fun tomorrow night to make up for the time at the hospital.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results