shape
carat
color
clarity

Cup/ Foil Yellow Diamond Question

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
Question: Can you cup or foil (not sure the correct word) an existing setting? How much more yellow does it make a diamond look? How do you clean a diamond that is cupped/foiled?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Again :wavey:

Ok,, I think I know what you are talking about, the inside of the halo to be bezel correct? instead of prongs. currently the mounting you have has prongs. it really depends, if the halo initially has a peg head to hold the center then the halo on the outside, I'll try to find pictures of what I mean. then it could possibly be bezelled, I remember Laurentheparier had a ring like this, she turned her prong into bezel haloed instead. I'll search around.

Do y ou have a picture of the current mounting top down and side view? that will help us better understand if it is possible to bezel se it, if the diamond isn't super deep and the mounting itself has some depth.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ok here is a picture (not the one I was thinking) of LTP hope she doesn't mind me borrowing it.. but you want to turn the prongs on the inside into the Bezel like that of the green gem ring correct?

ltp_halo.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
No- I think the OP wants to put a yellow gold cup under a yellow diamond to enhance color. It is not called foiling. I really don't know if it's possible to do on a setting you already have or not. I suppose it would depend on the setting. As far as cleaning- I don't like a totally enclosed cup- I like ones that have an opening in them. Makes it MUCH easier to keep your diamond clean.

And it will increase color quite a bit in softer fancy yellow tones. I have heard some setters use 22kt gold for cups as it's a richer gold color to increase the yellow enhancement.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ok here is a picture I just grabbed quickly. so If the prongs on the mounting looks like what I circled, then you will lose some mm on the diamond IF a bezel can be done. do you see how the diamonds extend over the "cup gallery" portion where the diamond sinks into. if you bezel, then the diamond will need to sink into that cup portion and you'll have to get a smaller diamond. Drawback on these type of bezel halo is that it makes the diamond appear smaller, however once bezel the gold around the bezel gives the diamond a bigger illusion too... so might not be a bad thing.. I know you had contacted David at DBL, so when you send him the mounting you can ask him to review the setting and see if he thinks he can modify the setting instead. The effect then would be the diamond would sit much lower almost the same level as the halo itself attached like LTP's bezel haloed ring below

halo_prong.jpg

halobezel.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkjewel|1405046915|3711064 said:
No- I think the OP wants to put a yellow gold cup under a yellow diamond to enhance color. It is not called foiling. I really don't know if it's possible to do on a setting you already have or not. I suppose it would depend on the setting. As far as cleaning- I don't like a totally enclosed cup- I like ones that have an opening in them. Makes it MUCH easier to keep your diamond clean.

And it will increase color quite a bit in softer fancy yellow tones. I have heard some setters use 22kt gold for cups as it's a richer gold color to increase the yellow enhancement.

awww that makes sense, the cup portion...not changing prongs into bezel... :wacko:

Like this?

https://www.pricescope.com/blog/jewel-week-delicate-details-fancy-light-yellow-diamond-ring

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
like this? this has gorgeous profile :love:

_20104.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
D&T|1405047195|3711069 said:
pinkjewel|1405046915|3711064 said:

awww that makes sense, the cup portion...not changing prongs into bezel... :wacko:

Like this?

https://www.pricescope.com/blog/jewel-week-delicate-details-fancy-light-yellow-diamond-ring

Yes, I believe that's what they're asking about. They can be plain or more ornately engraved like that ring. They can also have no opening and make a full cup below the diamond, or they can be partial cups which leave an opening in the bottom.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
D&T|1405047434|3711076 said:
like this? this has gorgeous profile :love:

this has a small partial cup around the top portion underneath the diamond and then they've used the gallery to also bring the yellow gold further below the diamond. This will help enhance the color- but it probably won't do it quite as much as a bit larger cup right underneath the yellow diamond with just a small opening in it.
Look at this picture- this was actually a green diamond where the rose gold is enhancing the color. There is just a small slit in the center. Should be large enough to clean the diamond.

r5106-green-pink-diamond-ring-b.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Trasid,
I just looked at your other thread- you don't need a yellow cup with the intense yellow diamond you are considering. It is usually used for lighter toned yellow diamonds .

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with PinkJewel; if the saturation of your yellow FCD is intense, it'll look great in a yellow gold basket. No need to have it cupped. It will still look very yellow, it will be very easy to clean and more light coming in from the sides means more sparkle.

Trasid

Shiny_Rock

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The more a diamond windows/leaks the more you'll see what's behind it.

IOW, the better the cut the less a cup will help.

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all. I think I understand now. Hopefully I can help her get something nice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results