shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Setting Yellow Diamond

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
My mom recently purchased a yellow diamond stone with a double halo white gold setting. The yellow diamond was VERY pale in most lighting and had no sparkle or fire and none of the crushed ice look that she likes.

She went back to the store and they reimbursed her for the diamond. They told her that to get the yellow color she wanted, she would have to "foil the diamond" and bezel it in yellow gold. My mom dislike bezels.

They later found her another yellow diamond with LOTS of fire and brilliance but was priced at $6,000 for 0.84 carat. My mom does not want to spend this kind of money for just the diamond. Although this diamond was intense yellow, I did not see where it was much more yellow than the original diamond.

At my suggestion, my mom called a PS vendor who offered to buy her setting at a $500 loss and sell her an entirely new ring which would cost more than her current setting and $6,000 diamond. She said he told her he did not want to use her existing setting.

I want to help her but I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Just to clarify, she currently has the new $6k diamond in the original setting? Is this correct?
The store let her exchange the original diamond?

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, I posted twice accidentally. They will not let my mom return the setting but that's okay because I think she wants to keep it. It will take a 5.1 - 5.6 mm stone. They showed her a $6,000 yellow diamond but she does not want to spend that much money. I guess my questions are:

How do you set a yellow diamond to make it look more yellow? Do you use foil or a cup? Can that be put in her original setting? If so, how do you clean the diamond?

Will the foil/cup be enough to help the diamond look yellow? How much help does a yellow bezel give?

Any chance there are some decent yellow diamonds out there cheaper than $6,000?

D

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to clarify.. she wants a cushion with the crushed ice look?

Diamondsbylauren has some nice over 1ct for under 6k..

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-yellow-diamond-102ct-fancy-yellow-vs1-cushion-cut-fabulous-stone-r5221

or from Leibish.. I personally have purchased from them several times and have such wonderful positive experience:

http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamond/115ct-fancy-light-yellow-cushion-vs1-89020-15751

attached is a picture of my diamond in a "half" bezel look (Rounds tends to show the intensity of the yellow less than that of other fancy shape with the similar grading). I personally find that lighter yellow looks best with stark white diamonds in the shank or a halo to emphasize the Yellow color more. A yellow cup or basket and 18k yellow gold prongs will also help the color a bit. I reset my diamond from just a plain shank solitaire and its definitely more striking with the contrast of white diamonds in the shank and yellow. And as you can see Cleaning is super easy for me.

_20101.jpg

_20102.jpg

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
She wants a radiant or cushion, crushed ice look, and noticeably yellow in the setting.

Our local B&M store is not my favorite. The are famous for bait and switch.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you try and sell the diamond on your own, and start over with someone else? I would rather do that than to keep business with jewelers that as you say "bait and switch" I recently left a long time local jeweler of mine that I had been shopping at for years, simply because of some mounting issues that they would just rather cut me dry and not work with me after I gave them such rave reviews and they were not a bait and switch, just some miscommunication. They would rather lose a long time customer than to resolved my concerns.

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
She has a setting but no diamond. The first diamond they put in it was really crappy. The second diamond was VERY NICE but was $6,000. I am trying to find a nice diamond for less. She does not like the bezel look.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
are you still wanting to find the diamond through your B&M? if not then you can buy your diamond elsewhere and get it set in your existing mounting by your local jeweler, but many don't like to do this and may charge you a setting/mounting fee if you don't buy their diamonds.

have you seen this thread. you do not need a bezel, just gold prongs and basket...

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-y-z-and-fancy-beauties.203589/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-y-z-and-fancy-beauties.203589/[/URL]

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
I am trying to find her a nice 5.1 - 5.6 mm yellow diamond and use her existing setting. I don't want to work with her store because I don't really trust them. If they had done what she initially asked them I wouldn't be asking you all for help.

Her current setting is a white gold double halo with yellow gold prongs.

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
Mom would like the PreCiouSJeWeL920 diamond. It's very yellow. That's what she is looking for.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trasid|1405039237|3710956 said:
I am trying to find her a nice 5.1 - 5.6 mm yellow diamond and use her existing setting. I don't want to work with her store because I don't really trust them. If they had done what she initially asked them I wouldn't be asking you all for help.

Her current setting is a white gold double halo with yellow gold prongs.
Sorry if I missed this. What shape?like perfectly square?

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
Oh wow. First one is missing crushed ice. The second two look very nice and with a much better price than $6,000. Which one do you like better... the second or third choice?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D&T|1405039810|3710967 said:

love the last one as long as it would fit the halo. what was the mm size of the original?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trasid|1405040189|3710973 said:
Oh wow. First one is missing crushed ice. The second two look very nice and with a much better price than $6,000. Which one do you like better... the second or third choice?

try and get as close to the original stones mm size as possible. i prefer the third though

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1405040597|3710979 said:
Trasid|1405040189|3710973 said:

try and get as close to the original stones mm size as possible. i prefer the third though

Ditto!.. the 3rd although I1. they are crystals and not a feather that's hiding behind the crushed ice pattern quite well and the for price, it gets you the intense color that I think she will love..

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
Okay so ... do I purchase that diamond and have the B&M store set it and hope and pray they do it correctly, or do you think David/DBL could set it for me if I send them the setting?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trasid|1405041469|3710991 said:
Okay so ... do I purchase that diamond and have the B&M store set it and hope and pray they do it correctly, or do you think David/DBL could set it for me if I send them the setting?

I would send the setting to David and have him set it since he has the diamond. He has a very good bench so I wouldn't hesitate to have him do it, plus if the diamond didn't work in the setting, he'll help you find another diamond that will work just perfectly.

Contact him directly, he'll give you his honest opinion and guide you through the process. Many of us ship loose stones, settings, all over to these vendors, and have no problem.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
whoever sets it- you should insure it.

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the help Niel and D&T. I went to the website and send DBL an email. I will call them tomorrow. Hopefully I can get my mom a new, pretty, reasonably priced ring on her finger soon.

BTW D&T... I just LOVE :love: your 3 stone diamond and sapphire ring!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aww I'm so glad we can help and for a reasonable price than your B&M. Aww thank you so much for the compliment ::) and btw... sorry that I called you a "he" its just automatic to me in RT and the whole no image avatar, I just go straight to a "he" :oops:

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
Oh, no problem! Maybe I need an avatar of my AVR ering.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh totally! I love seeing peoples ring as their avatar... usually I can remember who they are, but heck, I can't even upload a picture in my avatar... some issues with special character in my screen name, therefore never allowing me to save.

Im super excited how this diamond turns out for you :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results