shape
carat
color
clarity

At what age does the usual kid no longer need a baby sitter?

At what age does the usual kid no longer need a baby sitter?

Votes: 1 1.9%

Votes: 5 9.4%

Votes: 7 13.2%

Votes: 22 41.5%

Votes: 11 20.8%

Votes: 3 5.7%

Votes: 2 3.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Re: At what age does the usual kid no longer need a baby sit

I remember being left alone at 6 yo but I had a brother who was 8.5 at the time as well as a 4 yo brother....yup my parents were definitely relaxed :knockout:

I remember babysitting around age 10 for kids that were mostly 6 months to 5 years old. I could burp babies, change diapers, help with potty training and run a mean game of red rover come over.

For my kids I honestly can't say. They are too little now and maturity is a far far far way away. I would like to think that around 10 or 11 I can leave the house for up to 15-20 minutes to run out and get food or small errands that are close bye. But as far as leaving them regularly with no supervision I would say 13. My husband is all about putting up cameras all over the house so he can always have eyes on them! And not because we are over protective but our kids, especially our son is a creative trouble maker. He would be swinging from the chandelier on a bungee cord or going down the stairs on skis if the idea popped into his head. :shock: :bigsmile: :-o

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock

lyra|1404667414|3707745 said:
My eldest daughter did the babysitting course and CPR courses at 12. I felt comfortable letting her watch her younger sister during the day while we went shopping, that sort of thing. It wasn't until they were in their 20's that they confessed to us that whenever they were left alone together, the older one would pick on the younger one and sometimes chase her around the house with a butcher knife. All in fun of course! I swear, they're trying to give me a heart attack. I had no idea. YMMV. :errrr:

Exactly. I never ever complained to my mother but actually I found being left in the house without adult supervision very stressful.
Sometimes we would get very scared for no real reason, soemtimes we would fight violently or try and scare each other. Other times we would just drift off to our seperate rooms and feel very lonely. We didn't eat very well.
But I was commonly left to my own devices with a younger sister and disabled brother for most nights of the week, so perhaps my situation was more extreme than most. It was not a childhood that I particularly enjoyed.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Things were a lot different when I was a child. I was left alone after school when I was 8. When I was 10 and my brother was 6 we used to walk home from school and stay by ourselves until my parents got home from work. I was a responsible child and wouldn't have ever let anything bad happen to him but I wasn't above a few shenanigans.

I left my daughter home alone for brief amounts of time when she was 12. By the time she was 13, I trusted her enough to leave her alone while I went to dinner or a movie.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

I'll need one my whole life. Sorry. :cheeky:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Oh God, Danny, you must be related to me!! I don't think I should be allowed out by myself. :knockout:

--- Laurie

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock

Imdanny|1404908827|3709652 said:
I'll need one my whole life. Sorry. :cheeky:
Nice to virtually 'see' you Danny! You are wearing my favourite Tudor poster boy again! :cheeky:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

missy|1404247154|3704705 said:
jaysonsmom|1404237325|3704593 said:
The laws vary by state, but I've checked, and CA does not have a set age where kids can be left by themselves. I have a 10 year old and a 12 year old. Both of which are pretty responsible. I occasionally leave them for 20 minutes or so when I run to the grocery store. I DO reinforce the fact that they are not to touch the stove or oven. If they get hungry, make a sandwich, or use the microwave for a quick snack.

When my girlfriend's boys were younger (under 16) she wouldn't allow them to eat if they were by themselves in the house. She was concerned about them choking with no one there to help them.

I wouldn't allow my kids to eat alone (yes, choking is rare, but happens…) and I certainly wouldn't allow them to cook alone at their ages. They can barely remember to flush the toilet, let alone remembering something important like turning off the stove (causing potential burns, fires, etc.).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

momhappy, how old are your kids?

isaku5

Ideal_Rock

I have forgotten how old our kids were, but I do remember being left alone for a couple of hours when I was about 12. We lived in a big old Victorian house and I was scared witless, but wouldn't admit it.

Our granddaughter was 12 when she was certified to look after children younger than she. She took a course after school for a few weeks, wrote and passed the exam and was qualified.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Our children are 8, 10, 14, and 16.5 years old. It's only been a year since we started letting the older two watch the younger two while we go out to dinner for a couple of hours.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results