shape
carat
color
clarity

First pearl purchase... I need your help!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Confection10|1404234479|3704566 said:
They are so different; there will be room enough for both in true pearl lover's collection...

Spoken like a true pearl lover!

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
katbran said:
I love the earrings and pendant..lovely! Of the two ripples I much prefer the darker and more uniform PS one - I'm not a fan of the little 'horny' pearls lol But that's just a personal choice...I like more colour in my ripples. I find it hard to photograph the ripples as they often do appear quite a bit darker and it's very hard to catch the iridescence. But the PS one gets my vote. I'd track down a white ripple strand for something different rather than two almost the same.

Haha, I almost described them as such too, then thought thorny would be more appropriate, but they are not sharp just appear so - they are incredibly comfy, just as comfy as the PS pearls. I agree with your thought process; I have been thinking similarly in preferring more color and wanting a white strand for variety. As it seems I have been to very similar strands - the other CC strand is almost the same color palette as the first CC. Now I am really torn. Thanks for your thoughts.

baby monster said:
I love pearl society strand. Bigger pearls and more intense colors. Gorgeous :love:

Thanks for your vote, baby monster. I am really torn. The Pearl Society seemed more copper last night and I was considering returning them but this morning some kind of crazy colors mostly purples were irradiating from this strand, I was captivated! It looks great on me during the day and at night the 'extras' fall asleep...

Fly Girl said:
Ditto on the Pearl Society strand. That one is a keeper. And, I even own a set of white ripple horned pearls, but the PS strand looks more like my Kasumi pearls that I absolutely adore.

Duly noted, Fly Girl, your Kasumi pearls are crazy beautiful!

Confection10 said:
Absolutely delicious ans stunning new pearls. The most I love ripples , with and without horns. They are so different; there will be room enough for both in true pearl lover's collection...

Confection, you are absolutely right, I should make room for both of these, but then there are three... (I will post pics soon)

ckrickett said:
I love all those pearls!!! And I super love Pearl Society on ebay, I have been so happy with my purchase from them!

Also that pendant!! LOVE!!!!!!!! Fantastic job! So gorgeous

I'm glad I researched on here before taking the plunge; your experience with Pearl Society helped me feel at ease purchasing from them, thanks for posting about your experiences with them.

bsomlo said:
Confection10|1404234479|3704566 said:
They are so different; there will be room enough for both in true pearl lover's collection...

Spoken like a true pearl lover!

You ladies slay me. ;-)

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
My other CC strand came today. Super round, smooth, and gorgeous! The dilemma is that the three are so similar; i may have to choose just one of these... Clockwise: left is PS/ top is the first CC/ bottom is today's arrival

You see why I am torn? Ack.

My White South Sea dangles arrived today too. Indah from Indoseapearls was a doll to work with and the findings are beautifully installed. I actually love the YG on these. For some reason the White Metallics look less green today, more blue...hmm
As expected the WSS has a satiny luster; WM sharp metallic luster. Both beautiful in different ways, apples and oranges.

And my most impulsive pearl purchase so far. I am in love! Baroque Tahitian rope 50 inches from PP.

_19712.jpg

_19713.jpg

_19714.jpg

_19715.jpg

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
Neck pics: tripled is my favorite way so far

_19716.jpg

_19717.jpg

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
Now for some courage, ear shots, lol: I think the White Metallics looks better with the Tahitians.

photo_749.jpg

photo_750.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
You should see my smile! Wonderful pearls!!!

So funny (though understandable) that you chose three similar strands.

I just love your Tahitian rope. Well done.

Wear all your pearls in good health and keep us posted about your thoughts and what you will do regarding your "triple" purchase.

We love neck and ear shots, so please post more!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
They are all lovely! The Baroque Tahitian rope from PP just blows me away. Of the 3 similar strands, I think I like the ones from PS best. (I would choose the one with the most purple/lavender in person, since that is my personal preference.) I think I need some white metallic pearls now too -- so shiny and pretty. ;))

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
That Tahitian rope is Gorgeous! You have captured the colors so well.

Those three freshwater strands are all multi-colored Chinese freshies, larger sized pearls with similar color palettes. Personally, I don't like the multi-color Chinese freshwater pearl colors enough to own three such strands, but if you are crazy for that, you will get plenty of use out of those. They are all lovely.

As for Tahitians, I can see myself collecting more of those strands, but I am fascinated by the range of colors, and they suit my coloring well.

Thank you for sharing your first pearl purchases with us. It is an interesting journey that you are on. Keep wearing them and see which ones you keep going back to.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Look at those Tahitians. Just drooling here :lickout:. Very nice! Yes, You have sort of dilemma there... but have You consider something like this. As You see I don't want to enable You... :lol:. I just love to see my Hornets when wearing them.

_19723.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Confection -- I love your hair! Wow!!! (The pearls are beautiful, too.)

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Kay, you may notice that you wear different pearls in different seasons (if you have variable weather and distinct seasons where you live). I wear ripples and doubles/triples more in colder months and single strands, tin cups and pendants in warm months.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree that the two strands are too much the same. I still like the PS strands for colour and shape. I think those Tahitians are absolutely keepers. Very versatile and you'll get tons of wear out of them. I would get , to replace the pale ripples, either (unless you already have something) a metallic white strand or a white ripple strand. The white will be a really really useful addition, you've got the earrings already. Can't go wrong with white.

You've got some lovely purchases. :appl:

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo said:
You should see my smile! Wonderful pearls!!!

So funny (though understandable) that you chose three similar strands.

I just love your Tahitian rope. Well done.

Wear all your pearls in good health and keep us posted about your thoughts and what you will do regarding your "triple" purchase.

We love neck and ear shots, so please post more!

Thanks, bsomlo. Ok, I shall be more courageous for neck/ear shots. The ones posted by everyone here helped me figure out what I like and what works for me. I just went through the "wearing today" thread and how adorable are your curls?! I would kill to have curls like yours; grass is always greener...

I decided to keep just one of the triple purchases. I just haven't figured out which one to keep. I hate to return things.

Kay said:
They are all lovely! The Baroque Tahitian rope from PP just blows me away. Of the 3 similar strands, I think I like the ones from PS best. (I would choose the one with the most purple/lavender in person, since that is my personal preference.) I think I need some white metallic pearls now too -- so shiny and pretty. ;))

Thanks, Kay. I too am a purple/lavender person. The Pearl Society strand's iridescence is purple/lavender that shows up during the day and turns much darker at night, which is intriguing also makes it hard for me to decide to keep this one. White metallic pearls are much prettier in person than my pictures. I did a terrible job at capturing the depth of these pearls.

Fly Girl said:
That Tahitian rope is Gorgeous! You have captured the colors so well.

Those three freshwater strands are all multi-colored Chinese freshies, larger sized pearls with similar color palettes. Personally, I don't like the multi-color Chinese freshwater pearl colors enough to own three such strands, but if you are crazy for that, you will get plenty of use out of those. They are all lovely.

As for Tahitians, I can see myself collecting more of those strands, but I am fascinated by the range of colors, and they suit my coloring well.

Thank you for sharing your first pearl purchases with us. It is an interesting journey that you are on. Keep wearing them and see which ones you keep going back to.

Thanks, FlyGirl. Interesting and wacky journey, lol. I sort of narrowed down my choices before shopping thanks to the modeling pics here on PS. You're right, I don't need all three; I'm definitely keeping just one of the trio. I'm thinking about getting another Tahitian strand. I'm not sure if the one I have suits my coloring. The greens are very warm with silver overtone (which makes my color sensitive eyes and already wacky brain confused) whereas my purple coloring would agree more with a bluer/blue-green/purple/silver strand. Thinking... Am I stupid to let this one go?

Confection10 said:
Look at those Tahitians. Just drooling here :lickout:. Very nice! Yes, You have sort of dilemma there... but have You consider something like this. As You see I don't want to enable You... :lol:. I just love to see my Hornets when wearing them.

WOW, Confection! You are such a doll! I love your wavy long hair; you make me miss my long hair. Mine gets wavy when long like that but I always wanted tighter curls. It wasn't nearly as pretty as yours, shampoo commercial material you've got there! So, yes, I considered joining the necklaces like that but as pretty as it is on you, I don't like that length on me. I prefer short; makes it easier to chase around my toddler. But you are rocking that look!

bsomlo said:
Confection -- I love your hair! Wow!!! (The pearls are beautiful, too.)

Right? Gorgeous girl, Confection.

bsomlo said:
Kay, you may notice that you wear different pearls in different seasons (if you have variable weather and distinct seasons where you live). I wear ripples and doubles/triples more in colder months and single strands, tin cups and pendants in warm months.

That makes perfect sense, bsomlo. That makes me wonder... Which of the triple is most wearable in cooler months? I'm guessing the PS one due to the darker colors...?

katbran said:
I agree that the two strands are too much the same. I still like the PS strands for colour and shape. I think those Tahitians are absolutely keepers. Very versatile and you'll get tons of wear out of them. I would get , to replace the pale ripples, either (unless you already have something) a metallic white strand or a white ripple strand. The white will be a really really useful addition, you've got the earrings already. Can't go wrong with white.

You've got some lovely purchases. :appl:

Thanks for the input, Kat. We are on similar wave lengths... I was considering a graduating strand of White Metallics in 6-7mm to 15-16mm size range. Alas, PP doesn't have larger than 10mm at this time, if I remember correctly. This is def. on my wish list.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo and Elysian, many thanks. Unfortunately my hair is naturally straight, but luckily they keep curls quite well :) . Elysian, what ever You decide You can't go wrong with those babies :wavey:

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Elysian,
For a first time pearl buyer, you have done very well :appl:
For the strands, I particularly like the PS ripples and the PP Tahitian rope. The T rope is so colorful on the first photo!
The white metallic FWP and WSS ovals are beautiful too.Can't go too wrong with white drop shaped pearls earrings imho.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Elysian - Excellent job! You really have an eye for beautiful pearls and I'm curious to see which of the 3 strands you pick. The Tahitians are definitely keepers!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Your Tahitian rope is stunning! It looks fantastic tripled! Is it heavy? Both dangles look great, but I actually prefer the wSS dangles with the Tahitians :geek:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
LitGeek|1404848829|3709147 said:
Your Tahitian rope is stunning! It looks fantastic tripled! Is it heavy? Both dangles look great, but I actually prefer the wSS dangles with the Tahitians :geek:
I have to agree about the white earrings with the Tahitian rope. First of all, they are gorgeous pearls, but I think the reason this combo looks so stunning is that you have gone for contrast. The dark Tahitians against the white shirt, and the white earrings against the dark hair. You have a good sense of the dramatic and it works. :)) :appl:

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
Confection10|1404397704|3705966 said:
bsomlo and Elysian, many thanks. Unfortunately my hair is naturally straight, but luckily they keep curls quite well :) . Elysian, what ever You decide You can't go wrong with those babies :wavey:

I decided to send back all three ripples, I told myself if I can't decide on one by the end of week last week they all go back, and they did. The answer has to be clear in my mind, no-comparison approach, for me to keep things. The Tahitian, WSS dangles, and White metallics set stayed. I very unexpected fell in love with the White Metallics so much so that I am getting more!

YC said:
Hi Elysian,
For a first time pearl buyer, you have done very well :appl:
For the strands, I particularly like the PS ripples and the PP Tahitian rope. The T rope is so colorful on the first photo!
The white metallic FWP and WSS ovals are beautiful too.Can't go too wrong with white drop shaped pearls earrings imho.

Thank you, YC. The Tahitian rope is my favorite! I really love the longer necklaces to double-triple-quad...etc I like the versatility and I am learning that I quite like to wear them long too, when I can. The colors on the T rope changes from day to night and next to different colors, it's insane!

pkinnew said:
Elysian - Excellent job! You really have an eye for beautiful pearls and I'm curious to see which of the 3 strands you pick. The Tahitians are definitely keepers!

Thank you, pkinnew. You're very kind.

LitGeek said:

The T rope is not as heavy as I anticipated. It could feel heavy when it gets chokey - the heavier pearls hang down lower and the smaller pearls hug the neck over time. Nothing a ribbon or clip can't remedy. I like the shape of the WSS dangles with the T rope, I think the shapes really work well together. They're a tiny bit more dressy than the WM which makes for a dressier combo. It's good to have options!

Fly Girl said:
LitGeek|1404848829|3709147 said:
I have to agree about the white earrings with the Tahitian rope. First of all, they are gorgeous pearls, but I think the reason this combo looks so stunning is that you have gone for contrast. The dark Tahitians against the white shirt, and the white earrings against the dark hair. You have a good sense of the dramatic and it works. :)) :appl:

Takes one to know one, your enviable collection hasn't collected itself! Thanks for the compliment. I'm all smiles. :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results