shape
carat
color
clarity

Fancy diamonds

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

I've been looking into fancy colored diamonds lately, reading every thread on PS that I can find and going through all the vendors. I find it's difficult to know what to look for, being used to colored gemstones only and not having seen that many fcd:s in real life. Compared to our lovely gem cutters, it seems many fcd vendors are too busy to answer questions. I'm thinking about having a ring made by Annette Tillander, who made my mama-ring, or buying a ready made one for my forthieth birthday (a year or so in advance, but who's counting :bigsmile: ). Orange, yellow and pink are high up on my list. Returns from my country are cumbersome, because of nonrefundable sales tax at the border.

Remembering my high learning curve with gems, I'd like to decrease the trial and error bit at least a little, the price range being what it is. I know a GIA report is important, I think I know clarity isn't that important to me as long as there are no durability issues - other than that, I'm still finding my way. So I thought I'd ask all of you:

- Do you think fcd:s are worth it? Is the fascination and beauty factor worth the jump in budget (compared to other gems)?
- What do you think about the light fancy colors? Is color intensity king here as well?
- What newbie mistakes are common?
- What do you love most about the fcd:s you have/have seen?

Thanks so much. :wavey:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mariedtiger|1404884581|3709564 said:
- Do you think fcd:s are worth it? Is the fascination and beauty factor worth the jump in budget (compared to other gems)?
- What do you think about the light fancy colors? Is color intensity king here as well?
- What newbie mistakes are common?
- What do you love most about the fcd:s you have/have seen?

Thanks so much. :wavey:

Hello MT, nice to see you here again. :wavey:

Question 1: Some are worth it, and to me, some are not. I think many are overpriced and rather unattractive, like fancy reds (Kenny don't kill me). Some light fancy blues don't do it for me either, and I've seen some at a museum, just blah.

Question 2: Light fancy colors are a more affordable option, but . .

Question 2b: . . . . the intensity is just not there. You can do colored metal to enhance the intensity, but don't expect colors to pop out at you like other colored gems.

Question 3: Not getting a GIA report for a fancy color that is rare. Getting one that faces up really small because of a thick girdle. Getting one that has fluor that affects the colors outside. Going for a fancy color that is on the less intense side for its grouping, for example, there are many shades of intensity in a grouping like fancy yellow.

Question 4: I love the combination of intense color and the brilliance, sparkle and luster of a diamond. Of course the ones with the best color are the most pricey.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
ditto to everything TL said. The only difference I'll say is when it comes to intensity of color- yes color is king, but buy what you like. I happen to like some of the soft, pastel colors. Good for me, as I can get a larger size. If you like the more saturated tones, you may need to adjust your thoughts on size. Also, if you're looking at pinks, you may want to look at ones with a brown modifier, too. You can still get fairly saturated for a more affordable price. One thing I've noticed is pink diamonds seem to have had a huge price increase just within the past year-including ones with brown modifiers. And fluorescence needs to be tested. In some it will make the color virtually disappear outside, and others it will make the colors intensify, so you have to check how it affects each one. Good luck on your project. You will find they are addictive and you can't have just one! =)

eta- and I do look at clarity- I still like a very clean FCD

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkjewel|1404902486|3709620 said:
eta- and I do look at clarity- I still like a very clean FCD

Per clarity, it's subjective as it can help the FCD become more affordable too. I've seen some included fancy pinks that are far less per carat than clean ones. We're talking eye visible inclusions here, but not super distracting ones. A nice color can help mask the inclusions a bit. I think inclusions are far more tolerable in FCD's than white diamonds.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Hi TL :D

I really appreciate your clarifying answers, it's so good not to have to go this alone. I hadn't thought about the thick girdle, I know nothing about diamond cuts. Fluorescence is also something that I don't know enough about.

I'm torn about color. I do love the most vivid gemstones that I have and have a tendency to sell the pastel ones after a few years. But there is this one fancy light yellow diamond, cut in an asscher, that I'm sooo tempted by. And, as you said, the strongest colors are the most expensive and it's difficult to muster up the courage to choose one, if I don't like it. Oh, choices, choices. :bigsmile:

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Pinkjewel,

Thanks for all of your thoughts, so interesting. Great idea about the browns in pink and good to think about clarity. I think I must scrounge up a few fcd:s to look at somewhere, to find out what I like. Inclusions don't bother me that much in sapphires and spinels, for instance, but I don't know how that would work in fancy colored diamonds.

I've been most drawn to orange diamonds and seem to love the yellowish orange tones I see. I wonder about the colors in James Allen videos, are they accurate? I see brown in so many of them, but there are a few interesting diamonds there, in the orange department. :))

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
I was bitten by the fancy color bug a few years ago.
1) I feel that the sparkle you get from a FCD just can't be replicated.
2) I have stones in intensity from very light to fancy deep. Like Pinkjewel I often love the softer pastel colors (my very light blue might be my favorite).
3) I once bought a fancy brownish pink going by the prestigious primary pink on the cert and ignored the picture showing it looked more honey colored than pink. I was disappointed to see that the picture was highly accurate. I also have made the mistake of buying a highly included stone so I could get a larger size. For me, I couldn't stand the inclusions and send it back. I also have passed on a few that I now deeply regret. I had the opportunity to buy an argyle pink 3 years ago for just a few thousand. I'm definitely kicking myself for that now.
4) I just love how unique they are.

I haven't bought from James Allen, but the videos on Leibish.com and Denirdiamonds.com are quite accurate.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Good to read your thoughts susiegrneyes, I find it especially interesting to read the points you make in 3), those are things I've been wondering about. Hmmm, maybe I should dare buy that pastel asscher and just trust what I see and like in the pictures. Good to know about the videos too.

pinkjewel - the addictive factor is what I'm fearing :bigsmile: Plus I have this amazing local designer who enjoys making flowery designs with an antique twist, using many small gems... Perfect for fcd:s!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
A common mistake...

Don't pay to much!

A tiny little nothing - a grayish violetblue 0,17ct for 85.000$ - price per carat = 500.000$ !!!!!!

The historical Wittelsbach Blue - 35,56ct for 23.400.000 $ - price per carat = 658.042,74 $

O.K. it is only 209 times bigger :D

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
susiegrneyes|1404925508|3709802 said:
2) I have stones in intensity from very light to fancy deep. Like Pinkjewel I often love the softer pastel colors (my very light blue might be my favorite).
3) I once bought a fancy brownish pink going by the prestigious primary pink on the cert and ignored the picture showing it looked more honey colored than pink. I was disappointed to see that the picture was highly accurate. I also have made the mistake of buying a highly included stone so I could get a larger size. For me, I couldn't stand the inclusions and send it back. I also have passed on a few that I now deeply regret. I had the opportunity to buy an argyle pink 3 years ago for just a few thousand. I'm definitely kicking myself for that now.

I haven't bought from James Allen, but the videos on Leibish.com and Denirdiamonds.com are quite accurate.

Hey susiegrneyes, have you found the Leibish videos accurate on diamonds you've purchased? In the ones I've bought the videos have been terrible-totally washing out the diamond. Maybe some of them are a lot better. I usually look at the video for the cut of the diamond and to look at inclusions. I do think their photos are very good (and we know how hard it is to photograph FCDs!!) and the one I've found to be the most accurate is the photo of the diamond in the gem box. I have not purchased from denir or James Allen so can't really say how accurate they are.

And I agree about the brownish pinks. There is such a variation!! Some look like they barely have any brown in them and others look more like putty :rolleyes:

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
pinkjewel|1404929254|3709862 said:

Hey susiegrneyes, have you found the Leibish videos accurate on diamonds you've purchased? In the ones I've bought the videos have been terrible-totally washing out the diamond. Maybe some of them are a lot better. I usually look at the video for the cut of the diamond and to look at inclusions. I do think their photos are very good (and we know how hard it is to photograph FCDs!!) and the one I've found to be the most accurate is the photo of the diamond in the gem box. I have not purchased from denir or James Allen so can't really say how accurate they are.

And I agree about the brownish pinks. There is such a variation!! Some look like they barely have any brown in them and others look more like putty :rolleyes:

Good point. It has been a while since I purchased with an accompanying video (I tend to snatch them up before they have a chance to post a video). Their newer videos do seem awfully washed out, but I agree still good for looking for inclusions and such. Another place to look is Diamond Envy. I bought a chameleon from them in December and the video was very accurate. I posted a thread with the video and real life pictures for comparison.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so happy to see you back, MT. Missed you lots!

I tend to stay with yellow and pinks when it comes to FCDs because the other colours do not appeal to me. Reds are not attractive (especially for the price) and blues are very gray. I'm not into browns, grays or blacks either but I have considered green grey once and might again.

If you are considering yellow and pink, then yes, a GIA report is definitely recommended. As with you, I don't need high clarity on paper. My FIPP has a low clarity grading per GIA but it is extremely eye clean to me. Perhaps the intensity of the saturation helped it look eye clean to me, in addition to the smaller size. Having viewed several light fancies, I know that they are not for me. At a distance, they look like white/clear diamonds other than the fact that most aren't ideal cut so they do not even sparkle as much in comparison. I love FCDs for their punch of colour and rainbow sparkles.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Marlow, heh! :bigsmile:

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
pinkjewel|1404929254|3709862 said:

Good to know about the Leibish videos, better that way, maybe - to be positively surprised once you get the diamond.

Ah, I love this thread, I'm learning so much and already I'm looking at all the photos and videos with new eyes. Too bad I have my head flooded with new ideas all the time. 8) But it's fun to fantasize, plan and imagine. Reality may have to be a little more realistic once I get that far.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
susiegrneyes|1404951594|3710090 said:

Good point. It has been a while since I purchased with an accompanying video (I tend to snatch them up before they have a chance to post a video). Their newer videos do seem awfully washed out, but I agree still good for looking for inclusions and such. Another place to look is Diamond Envy. I bought a chameleon from them in December and the video was very accurate. I posted a thread with the video and real life pictures for comparison.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, I'll check out Diamond Envy. =)

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1404993592|3710361 said:
I'm so happy to see you back, MT. Missed you lots!

I tend to stay with yellow and pinks when it comes to FCDs because the other colours do not appeal to me. Reds are not attractive (especially for the price) and blues are very gray. I'm not into browns, grays or blacks either but I have considered green grey once and might again.

If you are considering yellow and pink, then yes, a GIA report is definitely recommended. As with you, I don't need high clarity on paper. My FIPP has a low clarity grading per GIA but it is extremely eye clean to me. Perhaps the intensity of the saturation helped it look eye clean to me, in addition to the smaller size. Having viewed several light fancies, I know that they are not for me. At a distance, they look like white/clear diamonds other than the fact that most aren't ideal cut so they do not even sparkle as much in comparison. I love FCDs for their punch of colour and rainbow sparkles.

Me too Chrono! :wavey: I'm so happy to be back and it's such fun to plan a new project, especially being such a newbie. Learning so much! Yes, eye clean is most important, for ring stones. In pendant stones I have even more leeway. :D Thanks for your input, much appreciated. What do you think of oranges?

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Here are a few of my inspiration pictures from Annette Tillander's page http://www.atillander.fi/en/ . Nothing definite yet, but something swirly, feminine, delicate is what I have in mind.

1557433_400179023450028_1053348101_n.jpg

1781932_418686234932640_1595945674_n.jpg

10517384_477486849052578_8723025475179733505_o.jpg

860069_261120780689187_1592298496_o.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are so pretty! I would love an orange FCD but those are incredibly rare and expensive so I tend to go for orangish yellow for a more affordable option.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1405013347|3710609 said:
Those are so pretty! I would love an orange FCD but those are incredibly rare and expensive so I tend to go for orangish yellow for a more affordable option.

Yes, they seem really difficult to find. I see yellowish oranges that I like pop up in the sold section at Leibish, almost weekly, but they never even reach the new section, so I guess people ask for them by e-mail.

I wouldn't say no to the one below. :twirl: http://www.fancycolordiamond.net/search/fancy_colored_diamond_details.cfm?id=6371P

i6371p.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neither would I! :lickout:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mariedtiger|1405013200|3710606 said:
Here are a few of my inspiration pictures from Annette Tillander's page http://www.atillander.fi/en/ . Nothing definite yet, but something swirly, feminine, delicate is what I have in mind.

Wow, her work is gorgeous. Is she only in Finland??? :blackeye:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
mariedtiger|1405014246|3710626 said:

Yes, they seem really difficult to find. I see yellowish oranges that I like pop up in the sold section at Leibish, almost weekly, but they never even reach the new section, so I guess people ask for them by e-mail.

I wouldn't say no to the one below. :twirl: http://www.fancycolordiamond.net/search/fancy_colored_diamond_details.cfm?id=6371P

And it's a beautifully cut emerald cut, rarely seen in fancy vivids.

Leibish had a couple listed on their website a few weeks ago but they are not there anymore.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1405021117|3710735 said:

Wow, her work is gorgeous. Is she only in Finland??? :blackeye:

Yes, unfortunately... :(sad

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
LoversKites|1405021517|3710744 said:
mariedtiger|1405014246|3710626 said:

And it's a beautifully cut emerald cut, rarely seen in fancy vivids.

Leibish had a couple listed on their website a few weeks ago but they are not there anymore.

Oh yes, I remember those that Leibish had posted, especially one in an unusual cut, waaay above my budget, but gorgeous!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock

those are lovely!!! Perfect for FCDs!!

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
pinkjewel|1405024326|3710787 said:

Thanks Pinkjewel! My thoughts exactly =) Plus, I remember when she made my mother's ring, that they first set all the gems in their bezels and then I went in for a meeting and she kept turning and moving the gems around until we had the most perfect angles. It was like watching someone create a miniature sculpture.

By the way, I love the piece of jewelry in your avatar - gorgeous!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
mariedtiger|1405025271|3710798 said:

Thanks Pinkjewel! My thoughts exactly =) Plus, I remember when she made my mother's ring, that they first set all the gems in their bezels and then I went in for a meeting and she kept turning and moving the gems around until we had the most perfect angles. It was like watching someone create a miniature sculpture.

By the way, I love the ring in your avatar - gorgeous!

Aw, thanks!!

I especially love the tiny little flowere in that one ring that has the little diamonds peaking out- how delicate and pretty is that??!! I can just see a beautiful pink diamond in that setting.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
pinkjewel|1405025544|3710806 said:
mariedtiger|1405025271|3710798 said:
Aw, thanks!!

I especially love the tiny little flowere in that one ring that has the little diamonds peaking out- how delicate and pretty is that??!! I can just see a beautiful pink diamond in that setting.

I agree!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one? If so, it caught my eyes first too. I love it.

1781932_418686234932640_1595945674_0.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1405076835|3711267 said:
This one? If so, it caught my eyes first too. I love it.

Well, Chrono- I love that one, too. But I was actually referring to this one. Look at those tiny little flowers- like one little lily of the valley with a diamond peaking out. So incredibly delicate!!

1557433_400179023450028_1053348101_0.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results