shape
carat
color
clarity

HOW is This Preloved Thing Supposed to Work?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Sooooo . . . how is this preloved/loupe troop thing supposed to go? I have a pearl bracelet listed and I have been contacted a couple of times. I am a bit skittish about sending out my pearls without knowing where they are going. I was hoping to sell it to someone that I know on PS, but the last inquiry was a stranger.

She was willing to pay via a Paypal invoice, but I've heard horror stories of people selling things (on ebay) and the recipient claiming they didn't receive the item, and then the insurance not paying. She didn't give me her real name either, just an odd email address. So I couldn't even google to find out if it's an actual person. I asked her for more info, like if she had feedback on ebay, but then she seemed to get mad, and she said I obviously didn't want to sell. I don't really blame her, but the whole interaction just left me mystified about the process. :confused:

I've sold on ebay many times, but the buyers all had good feedback. Is there any kind of reference thing on loupe troop? Is it better on the Bistro? I am hesitant to sell on ebay, because the fees are high, and I'd want to raise the price. Maybe I should just list on ebay?

So, not sure how this is supposed to work . . .

How did you guys do it?

Or am I just paranoid?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I have no experience with it, iLander, but am about to take photos & sell some stuff, so I'll be interested in answers too. If you send it signature required, I can't imagine there could be a problem, no?

--- Laurie

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone interested in anything I have - needs to provide me evidence that they are real. Otherwise, no deal. Even then you get scammed a small % of the time.

Have a great day,

Perry

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't worry about whether I have their full name prior to purchase. Once they make the PayPal payment, their name is listed in the PayPal confirmation email, along with their PayPal verified shipping address - at least that's what has happened for me 95% of the time - a few times the PayPal confirmation and PayPal transaction details did not include the shipping address and I had to request it from the purchaser.

I've always shipped via USPS Insured with tracking - signature delivery is even better and may in fact be what is required by PayPal, in order to prove delivery was made to the purchaser.

I've never had a situation where someone claimed delivery wasn't made.

I have used my intuition once or twice and chose not to sell to someone just because too many things seemed off.

If it is a non-PSer purchaser, who hasn't purchased from me in the past, I do require their PayPal verified shipping address. I have refunded a PayPal payment by someone who did not have a verified address. If it is a PSer or a repeat purchaser, I am more lax and will ship to an alternate address if requested.

I regularly check out DB and LT so I am somewhat familiar with some of the listers - I do prefer to buy from and sell to PSers and percentage-wise it is probably 65% PSers / 35% non.

Hope this helps!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As long as they have paid you before you ship out the item, and then insure it and require a signature, I think it is pretty safe. However, like you, I prefer to sell to PSers and that has mostly been the case with the few items I have sold. Of course a couple were from wanted to buy threads, so I never listed the items.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
To cover myself I always use paypal for protection- or whatever protection it can offer me. LT and DB don't have feedback. When I ship out to the Paypal address I just make sure to insure. I have never had any issue ever with selling to strangers except for 1 setting. It was obvious the person bought it, tried to set a stone it in and mangled the head instead. Oh and they chipped one of the side diamonds to boot in the process. I ended up just taking the return as it wasn't worth my time to challenge. I find most ppl on LT to be very honest and easy to work with.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I only ship to verified paypal addresses. I have been really lucky and had good conversations with most I have sold things too. I will never ever ship anything overseas again though. I shipped my pear to Singapore and it was a nightmare from hell. Trust your intuition and if it seems off, don't do it.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
marymm|1404958568|3710176 said:
I don't worry about whether I have their full name prior to purchase. Once they make the PayPal payment, their name is listed in the PayPal confirmation email, along with their PayPal verified shipping address - at least that's what has happened for me 95% of the time - a few times the PayPal confirmation and PayPal transaction details did not include the shipping address and I had to request it from the purchaser.

I've always shipped via USPS Insured with tracking - signature delivery is even better and may in fact be what is required by PayPal, in order to prove delivery was made to the purchaser.

I've never had a situation where someone claimed delivery wasn't made.

I have used my intuition once or twice and chose not to sell to someone just because too many things seemed off.

If it is a non-PSer purchaser, who hasn't purchased from me in the past, I do require their PayPal verified shipping address. I have refunded a PayPal payment by someone who did not have a verified address. If it is a PSer or a repeat purchaser, I am more lax and will ship to an alternate address if requested.

I regularly check out DB and LT so I am somewhat familiar with some of the listers - I do prefer to buy from and sell to PSers and percentage-wise it is probably 65% PSers / 35% non.

Hope this helps!

Ditto to this. I did accept a cashier's check from one PS'r who I "knew" from the boards, and it went without a hitch, but I think I *would* only do that with an acquaintance. In general, it's a little bit of a leap of faith to sell anything on-line, no matter what the medium, because a dedicated scammer can figure out eBay as well as they can Etsy. But most people are only what they seem - fellow bling afficionados!

Just trust your spidey-senses: if something seems off, it probably is. For example, I had one international buyer message me out of the blue about a pricey piece I have up on Etsy, and ask if they could have my direct PayPal address instead of using the Etsy interface. I checked their bio, and they'd joined that morning. Not huge red flags - I'm sure lots of people join on the spur-of-the-moment when they see something they've gotta have - but enough to make me wonder. But, you never know ... so I wrote back and explained how to use the Etsy interface, just in case it was a miscommunication. Nope, it was an attempted scam. Trust but verify ....

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I've bought and sold a few times and have had no issues. I have definitely had more confidence in dealing with individuals known from PS, but I think most of the people I've sold to were not PSers.
It's been pointed out on other threads PP primarily protects the buyer in terms of disputes, and perhaps as sellers we have to be a bit more careful as SB621's experience demonstrates. I think the shipping insurance and signature requirement cover receipt fully, it's probably requests for return based on representation or condition that would have the potential for the biggest headaches.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've had really good luck with LT. I've bought a couple of items and sold an item. The transactions were with PSers I recognized from the boards and all went smoothly.

Checking out LT is my favorite form of shopping!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
As long as you go through Paypal and ship it with delivery or signature confirmation, you're pretty safe. I had an issue with a woman several years ago on DB that claimed the package didn't get to her and filed a Paypal claim. I had the email where she agreed no insurance was needed on the package and the delivery confirmation from USPS. Paypal sided with me.

DB used to have a feedback section on their boards, not sure if it's still the case.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results