shape
carat
color
clarity

Please HELP Me Pick a Strand

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I have been eying this strand on TahitianPearls.biz for too long:

http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/tahitian-pearl-necklace/roundish_tahitian_pearl_necklace_tnzr.htm
(I tried like heck to get a screen shot of it, but my computer is just not cooperating!)

I like the rainbowy overtones, but not sure about the shape. So, I told Jose to please put it on hold for me.

Then I asked him what I always ask him; do you happen to have a strand with blues and greens?

This time he said he did have one, and sent me this pic of a strand not on his site, even though he's on vacation.

So, this is just cruel, I like them both a lot.

Which do you like? Which one should I choose? :think:

pastel-multi.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the picture you posted better than the one at the link that says "out of stock"....

why? I like the colors better.

however, if you're the reason the other strand is "out of stock" I do expect to see some neck shots!

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Latter for me, thank You :drool: . Amazing colour variation!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Definitely #2 for me. I like both the shapes and colors of the pearls more than option #1.

Keep us posted, a fun choice!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hi iLander - Nice to see you back looking at pearls. Do you still love your Goldens?

I did a screen capture of your first TahitianPearls.biz strand, with a close up of some of the pretty peacock colors.

Gotta say, I love the shapes of the second strand much more than the shapes of the first strand.

ilandertahitians1.jpg

ilandertahitians2.jpg

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you have both? :Up_to_something:

The shapes and colors are so different in these strands. I'm a big fan of green so I like the linked strand's colors. On the other hand, the second strand is rounder and has lots of blue, which I also like. Both, I say. :lickout: :lol:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I prefer the shape and colours of strand #2 . But colour is so personal..I am not a huge fan of green as I don't think it suits me. I love the 'lagoon' shades of blues and silvers...so I like the second strand. From what you said, you really want more blues...so really..why spend the money on green? Wait for what you want...or call PP and tell them your budget and see if they have a green/blue strand.

kalomeli

Shiny_Rock
I too prefer the second strand. Lovely colors and shapes.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
#2. The colors, and quality are far better. Are they the same price?

ltlmsmfft

Shiny_Rock
#2 is my favorite as well. I couldn't picture myself wearing the first strand; but, the colors and shape of the second strand are great! I would totally wear those pearls.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Another vote for #2!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for #2. I love those shades of blue, green and silvery gray. The shapes and smoothness looks better too.

mapo

Shiny_Rock
#2 all the way! I love the shape and color variations. #2 seems more lustrous than #1 as well.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I like #2 but I like blue and green and silver more than peacocks. Is it an option to get both and see how they look IRL and then make your decision?

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo|1404873953|3709448 said:
Definitely #2 for me. I like both the shapes and colors of the pearls more than option #1.

Keep us posted, a fun choice!

Same here!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
You guys are so great, this is a big help! :wavey: I'm terrible at deciding things. . .

Mozo: I asked Jose to put the second one on hold, don't have either of them yet

Confection 10, bsomio, kalomeli, ltlmsmfft, pkinnew, kay, mapo, LitGeek: I also like the second strand, but I'm not sure if I want to go multi-tonal. Does anyone have neck shots of their multi-toned Tahitians?

Flygirl! Hiya! Yes, it's been a while. I love my goldens, but I'm selling the bracelet, it's just too matchy-matchy to wear with the necklace. Plus DH got me a lovely bracelet that I wear all the time. Thank you for doing the capture, I don't know why mine didn't work! The ring in your avatar is a stunner! :love: Please give me the link to that thread!

Baby monster, SMC: I just might have to ask Jose to send both, unstrung, and pick one that way. I've been wanting a peacock, but in a lighter tone, not as dark as the typical peacocks, and number 2 might be it.

Katbran: I've tried PP for Tahitians before, and they were more expensive and I didn't like their strands as much.

NacreLover; yes, almost the same price

Just so everyone knows: I'm a "one of" kinda girl. I will only buy one Tahitian strand, and not another. I have one strand of akoya, one baroque freshwater, one golden. So whatever I get has to look good for casual, business, and formal. But I have used the strand of goldens for formal. So maybe just business and casual? Ugh, I don't know . . . :rolleyes:

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
iLander - Here are pix of my multi-color Kamoka strand. I wear them often because they go with so many outfits!

strand_2.jpg

strand_3.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
pkinnew -- So beautiful!!! If I ran into you I wouldn't be able to take my eyes off your throat. I'd be like a mad throat-stalker!

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo - I truly lol'd reading our post, envisioning a woman a standing a few inches from my neck not moving! Thanks for the imagery!

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo|1404998596|3710411 said:
pkinnew -- So beautiful!!! If I ran into you I wouldn't be able to take my eyes off your throat. I'd be like a mad throat-stalker!
LOL but I would be the shifty eyed one darting from throat, wrist, ears, and ring fingers. :dance:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, iLander, for your comments on my white SS ring. Here is the link with the story.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/south-sea-pearl-ring.192703/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/south-sea-pearl-ring.192703/[/URL]

If you are getting only one Tahitian strand, you should think carefully about what kind of pearls you want, as they can vary considerably. What I have learned about Tahitians is that, with few exceptions, the pearls all have a grey body color. They range from pale silver to medium grey to dark charcoal, but they are all grey. The photos you see have been taken in lighting that brings out the overtones, which you may only see in diffused light. Most of the time the strand will look grey. I suspect that the blue and green oval strand might be such a strand. You'll receive the box, open it, and see a uniform grey necklace and wonder where the blue and green pearls went? They are there, in the right lighting, but most of the time you won't see it.

Jose puts together some very well matched strands at nice price points. The key is to look for very high to excellent luster and strong overtones. Strong overtones is what gives you a colorful pearl necklace. When I received my aubergine Tahitian necklace with green overtones from PP on a dim February evening, I could see the red and green colors, even under poor light. It means that this necklace never looks charcoal grey. That's what I love about Tahitians, the wonderful colors, and if you are getting only one strand, that is what I recommend that you look for. I don't think either of your choices should be the final choice for a once in a lifetime strand.

Take a look at this strand from PP. This is not a professional photo, but you can still see the quality. See that each pearl looks red in the center (other than the light refections) and is surrounded by a green halo. Look for photos of pearls that have multiple colors and a halo of color different than the center. Look for a sharp light reflection which indicates good or better luster. I worry less about blemishes as long as they are not excessive. Finally, you need colors that go with your particular skin and hair. Then you will have a keeper of a strand that you will enjoy wearing for years.

neck_0.jpg

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Fly Girl, I must say that's a wonderful "tutorial" on choosing Tahitians, especially for those of us who don't have a full strand yet ... thanks!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl -- not only are those gorgeous, you photograph them so well!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
pkinnew said:
iLander - Here are pix of my multi-color Kamoka strand. I wear them often because they go with so many outfits!

Thank you, that is so helpful! And those are stunning, very beautiful! :love:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1405084478|3711337 said:
Thank you, iLander, for your comments on my white SS ring. Here is the link with the story.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/south-sea-pearl-ring.192703/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/south-sea-pearl-ring.192703/[/URL]

If you are getting only one Tahitian strand, you should think carefully about what kind of pearls you want, as they can vary considerably. What I have learned about Tahitians is that, with few exceptions, the pearls all have a grey body color. They range from pale silver to medium grey to dark charcoal, but they are all grey. The photos you see have been taken in lighting that brings out the overtones, which you may only see in diffused light. Most of the time the strand will look grey. I suspect that the blue and green oval strand might be such a strand. You'll receive the box, open it, and see a uniform grey necklace and wonder where the blue and green pearls went? They are there, in the right lighting, but most of the time you won't see it.

Jose puts together some very well matched strands at nice price points. The key is to look for very high to excellent luster and strong overtones. Strong overtones is what gives you a colorful pearl necklace. When I received my aubergine Tahitian necklace with green overtones from PP on a dim February evening, I could see the red and green colors, even under poor light. It means that this necklace never looks charcoal grey. That's what I love about Tahitians, the wonderful colors, and if you are getting only one strand, that is what I recommend that you look for. I don't think either of your choices should be the final choice for a once in a lifetime strand.

FlyGirl, you are a genius! :appl: That is exactly what I need to understand about Tahitians. That nugget of info will help me IMMENSELY! I think you may be right. It's my understanding Jose has a whole herd of new pearls that aren't on the site yet, and after he gets back from vacation, I will talk to him about what you said.

Your strand, and your ring, are both stunning. :clap: You are obviously the expert, and I will post whatever he offers here, and hopefully you would be willing to help me. I just want to do this once, and I want to get it right. Thank you, FlyGirl, you rock. As usual. :bigsmile:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
You are welcome, iLander. I guess I know you well enough from PS to take the kid gloves off.

It has taken me a while to get here. I did purchase the Elisabeth Strack book "Pearls" from the GIA as a Christmas present to myself and she has tables in there of Tahitian body colors and overtones that finally made sense to me. Those people that love medium silver Tahitians are in luck. Look over Jose's stock and see all of the grey tones. That's the pearl body color. Even pearls with peacock (i.e., generally green and pink) overtones often have a grey cast, even with his best lighting. Everything else being equal, darker and larger pearls will be more expensive.

If you think you want the blue greens, something like this strand would make you very, very happy. This particular one is sold, but Jose left the listing up for a reason. :naughty:

http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/tahitian-pearl-necklace/blue-green-tahitian-pearl-necklace-tnmg.htm

prettybluegreen.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, I prefer the first strand myself, even though I am not generally a fan of multi-colour strands.

DK :))

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Flygirl, you are so helpful! It's funny that you mention that strand, Jose also recommended that one to me, back before it was sold. It is quite beautiful, but it's so expensive and I'd like to have some overtones in the pearls.

Or maybe my budget just needs to increase. ::)

You're right, the body color is extremely important, and what I'll mostly see. I also like a green body color, so maybe what I need are peacock pearls. Do you think that would work, FG? This search for blue might not be in the cards.

I am waiting :read: for him to come back from vacation so that I can ask about the new batch that he mentioned. :dance:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1405266011|3712512 said:
Flygirl, you are so helpful! It's funny that you mention that strand, Jose also recommended that one to me, back before it was sold. It is quite beautiful, but it's so expensive and I'd like to have some overtones in the pearls.

Or maybe my budget just needs to increase. ::)

You're right, the body color is extremely important, and what I'll mostly see. I also like a green body color, so maybe what I need are peacock pearls. Do you think that would work, FG? This search for blue might not be in the cards.

I am waiting :read: for him to come back from vacation so that I can ask about the new batch that he mentioned. :dance:
That strand from Jose does have overtones...they are intensely blue and green. The body color is probably dark silver, like this strand from PP. Read through some of the descriptions of the PP strands. They are careful to distinguish between body color and overtones.

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-3656-1845inch-aa43-104654511469-mm-tahitian-round-pearl-necklace.aspx

You aren't going to get a strand of Tahitians with green body color. They will be a body color that is somewhere on the silver to charcoal grey color spectrum. It is the intensity of the overtones that makes the pretty green color.

You save money and get richer colors by going with the baroques. Do you like the colors of this strand?

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-3758-1845inch-aa43-84654512460-mm-baroque-tahitian-pearl-necklace.aspx

BTW, I love green peacock pearls. Here is a photo of a beauty from Kamoka pearls that I had made into a pendant. Even this pearl has a steel grey body color in certain lighting. The luster on this thing is spectacular. You can not only see the camera, you can make out the lens, the grey color of the camera, see my black bracelet and count the fingers on my hand. Amazing!

4me_038.jpg

today_7.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl -- that is an absolute mirror of a pearl!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results