shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement and Marriage Presents

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
Did you give your SO a present on your wedding day? Or a gift to commemorate the day? What was it?

Ladies: Did you give your DH a engagement ring or engagement gift? What was it?

Getting married next year. Wondering what others did.

(ICYMI I'm a man, I got her the ring :bigsmile: )

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
I gave my husband a watch for a wedding gift. He gave me a diamond necklace. :)

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing from my husband on our wedding day (5k worth of fee's to get me into the country was a gift enough lol) but I did get him a nice humidor that he was super excited and surprised by. I didn't have a very big budget other wise I would have bought him another watch :p

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Seems like watch is fairly common for the groom. I didn't give DH anything, and he didn't give me anything for our wedding day. I haven't given him a gift since we got engaged.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a Sterling silver belt buckle made and engraved with our wedding date for my now ex-hubby. He let me take it with me when we parted and I wear it nearly every day to this day (we divorced in 2005).

DK :))

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
qtiekiki|1404850669|3709167 said:
Seems like watch is fairly common for the groom. I didn't give DH anything, and he didn't give me anything for our wedding day. I haven't given him a gift since we got engaged.

Ha! Glad to see we aren't alone!

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
I gave my DH two gifts the morning of our wedding along with a letter. The first was a pair of engraved cufflinks that opened like a locket into which I placed photos of his recently deceased grandmother and uncle. The second was 3 autographed baseballs signed by former players for his favorite baseball team whose numbers had been retired.

My DH gave me a beautiful letter and a right-hand ring I had been coveting.

kalomeli

Shiny_Rock
I gave my FI an engagement band which is the traditional way in my country (Finland). That band will double as wedding band when we get married. I don't know yet whether we'll give each other huomenlahja (a gift given the morning after the wedding).

A watch maybe...? :lol:

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I gave DH engraved cufflinks with our initials and wedding date that he wore on the day, and he gifted me the gorgeous hair comb that I wore. They were each under $100, though, so nothing super extravagant. We paid for wedding and honeymoon ourselves, so we didn't see a need to do expensive gifts for each other on top of everything.

We didn't do engagement gifts.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
We didn't exchange any gifts on the day of our wedding but we don't even like exchanging anything but stocking stuffers on Christmas. I was a full time student at the time and broke as ever. Had I had money, I would have probably bought him something nice. I actually would have loved if he bought me a pretty card and written something from his heart in it. Simple and sweet and it would have been perfect, I should have dropped hints that I would have liked that!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Nope, we don't really give each other gifts on fixed dates - we give gifts when we see something the other person likes. And we'd spent so much on the wedding and have enough memories of the event that there was no need to pile on extra expense for something that we'd never forget. I think some people do it and if it seems right, then do it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like watches are a common gift from bride to groom.

I just feel sorry for DF's bride. :$$):

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blackprophet|1404847871|3709139 said:
Did you give your SO a present on your wedding day? Or a gift to commemorate the day? What was it?

Ladies: Did you give your DH a engagement ring or engagement gift? What was it?

I gave my husband a wedding a gift: a lovely gold tone pen. I do not believe he ever used it. I saw it in the drawer with his "good" things, like his cufflinks, for many years. I wonder if it was a Cross pen.... Neither of us had any money and my engagement ring had two 1-point diamonds nestled in a gold oval.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've heard this is done, but I don't know of anyone who's given a gift to their FI. Maybe they have and I'm just unaware, but I'm not sure. My husband and I don't really gifts to one another anyway though. I think we considered our honeymoon to be our gift to each other.

Having said that, I think a pair of diamond or pearl studs is a nice idea. They can go with anything and they're a classic, timeless gift.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Did you want to give her something for wedding day? I would do some kind of classic jewelry (diamond studs, pendants or tennis bracelet). I got diamond studs, solitaire pendant, and bangle, and a pair 24kt gold bangles from MIL for the wedding. Love them.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I gave my husband a green card. Good enough! Nobody I know gives presents to the other new spouse on a wedding. Sheesh, gifts are pouring in from friends & family.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope. No real presents. We just make time to spend with each other. :)

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
qtiekiki|1404856618|3709239 said:
Did you want to give her something for wedding day? I would do some kind of classic jewelry (diamond studs, pendants or tennis bracelet). I got diamond studs, solitaire pendant, and bangle, and a pair 24kt gold bangles from MIL for the wedding. Love them.

Yeah I was thinking a necklace and pendant, and/or a portrait.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I have DH an Invicta watch that he had been wanting, for our engagement.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I gave my husband a pair of Tiffany Eternal Circle cuff links, since his first gift ever to me was an Eternal Circle jade pendant. He gave me Tiffany starfish earrings and a pendant, since we got married in a beachy locale.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
JD got to marry me.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought him a watch and he got me some gold dangles to wear with pearl studs.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1404869103|3709384 said:
JD got to marry me.

What more could the guy want right? :dance:

We didnt exchange wedding gifts and he didn't get an
Engagement gift. We're not big on exchanging gifts though.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1404854617|3709214 said:
Sounds like watches are a common gift from bride to groom.

I just feel sorry for DF's bride. :$$):
:tongue:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot remember exactly but I *think* it was engraved cufflinks to wear on the big day... :love:

He gave me the wedding! :lol: No need for any more then that.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Until i found PS I never heard of anyone giving their spouse a wedding gift. Certainly a nice idea but it never crossed my mind. We considered our wedding expenses as gifts to each other.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1404862941|3709309 said:
I gave my husband a green card. Good enough! Nobody I know gives presents to the other new spouse on a wedding. Sheesh, gifts are pouring in from friends & family.

Love it!

For engagement, we exchanged engagement rings. My engagement ring is a traditional diamond ring and his is a titanium and silver band. For wedding, just the rings again.

Following on from what JF said above, marrying my DH gave me the right to apply for my next visa to stay in Britain.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I didn't give my now DH anything for the engagement.

We did exchange wedding gifts, though.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On our wedding day, I gave my DH a card. He gave me a card and a beautiful Lladro bride and groom figurine. It's called "Everlasting Love."

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing. This is the first I've heard that gifts are exchanged.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results