shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting question

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
1) Has anyone set a cushion in a setting meant for a round stone?

I have a setting for a 7 mm round. I want to put in a cushion with a 5 mm side length (about 7 mm diagonal).

2) Does anyone have a picture of a 5 mm cushion (side measurement) on a 4-5 size finger?

3) Has anyone seen a cabochon stone that is prong set?

Thank you!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since cushions are square (except elongated ones), and measured along the sides, you can assume that corner to corner will actually measure a little bit larger. Rounds measure the same diameter all the way around. So unless it's a very roundish cushion, I'd probably assume that it would be too large for a round setting. But perhaps a 6-6.5mm cushion? Having said all of that, a jeweler could probably make it work...

Chrono posted a graphic once that shows what I am saying, I shall post it.

squares_and_0.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Freke.

I'm waffling. I have an empty setting that I don't to sell for 50% or less, so I am trying to figure out options.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey no fair! You edited after I started my post!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What setting is it? Do you have something that might fit? Do you want to buy something else that would fit?

I've seen cabs set with prongs, but I think the prongs are longer...

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, Freke. You still answered the question beautifully.

The setting is this old thing. It used to be my first ering reset. I like the setting, but it was not the look I wanted.

I bought a round turquoise to but in this, but it's a cabochon with a round bottom. Quest said they can change the setting to hold a 7 mm round diamond (they have to cut the ring and make a new head, which is fine with me). I think, however, that a cab may not work as they quoted me the change for a faceted.

Plus, I would prefer to do this with the cab turquoise:

Hence, I'm looking for a faceted stone up to 7 mm in diameter to put in the setting. It cannot be blue, red, or pink as I already have these stones and they are destined for other rings. I like bluish green (Paraiba...not), turquoise (apatite?), chartreuse (chrysoberyl)...for this ring. I'm open to options too.

erstwhilejewelry.jpg

ering_dscn1903crop2.jpg

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
FrekeChild|1403564134|3699491 said:
Since cushions are square (except elongated ones), and measured along the sides, you can assume that corner to corner will actually measure a little bit larger. Rounds measure the same diameter all the way around.

This is THE major problem with setting cushions in any mounting. Since they are longer diagonally, any twisting movement will loosen them, often to the point of having them drop out of the mounting. There are two ways to keep this from occurring as follows:

1. Set the stone down against the upper rail between the prongs. If it's set into a small pocket in the rail it can't twist and so will be safe. This is a bad way of setting however, since it makes it nearly impossible to adequately clean the stone.

2. The preferred way of setting a cushion, (or specifically a rounded corner cushion), is to grab it at the corners with double prongs. By placing one prong on each side of the corner, the stone can not twist and so is safe.

The moral, setting a cushion into a setting meant for a round stone with only four prongs is a recipe for disaster. If you really must do it, I would suggest asking your jeweler to chop off the existing prongs and replace them with double prongs, ( a rather expensive solution, but one which will last indefinitely).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael_E|1403580642|3699736 said:
FrekeChild|1403564134|3699491 said:
Since cushions are square (except elongated ones), and measured along the sides, you can assume that corner to corner will actually measure a little bit larger. Rounds measure the same diameter all the way around.

This is THE major problem with setting cushions in any mounting. Since they are longer diagonally, any twisting movement will loosen them, often to the point of having them drop out of the mounting. There are two ways to keep this from occurring as follows:

1. Set the stone down against the upper rail between the prongs. If it's set into a small pocket in the rail it can't twist and so will be safe. This is a bad way of setting however, since it makes it nearly impossible to adequately clean the stone.

2. The preferred way of setting a cushion, (or specifically a rounded corner cushion), is to grab it at the corners with double prongs. By placing one prong on each side of the corner, the stone can not twist and so is safe.

The moral, setting a cushion into a setting meant for a round stone with only four prongs is a recipe for disaster. If you really must do it, I would suggest asking your jeweler to chop off the existing prongs and replace them with double prongs, ( a rather expensive solution, but one which will last indefinitely).

Yes, I agree, I've had to replace single prongs with double prongs on some cushions I have set. Any stone I think with pointed corners is also sometimes at risk too. I've had to do double prongs on trillions, and v-prongs on the points of pear shapes. I don't own any marquise as of yet, but if I did, that would also be an issue I'm sure.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
This issue seems to be one reason for all of the chevron prongs on princess cuts, eh? Can't twist out AND helps protect the pointy bits from getting chipped.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Michael_E. I'll stick with a round stone for this design.

Thanks, LD and Freke.

The jeweler has to make a new head to accommodate a 7 mm stone, but I don't think that double prongs will look good with this ring design.

I learned something new!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no mind or visual issues with chevron prongs which is why I'm not adverse to using them to secure a trillion or pear. I've not had any issues with my stones thus far (touch wood!).

Pregcurious,
Are you then looking for a 7 mm round?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I will have to find a 7 mm round. I am not a yellow gold person though, and turquoise is the only stone I have ever liked in yellow gold.

Hmm.

Maybe I will have to commission a turquoise to be but in a faceted style so it could be set like a faceted stone?

Any suggestions?

I would be open to a rose cut diamond, but at 7 mm, that is pretty expensive for an occasional "fun" ring.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go with something green, orange or yellow for a YG setting. Do you like those colours? Some shades of blue will work too.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Chrono. I don't like yellow, orange, or green, unless the green is an emerald. In the latter case, I prefer a rectangular stone, which would not work in this setting.

How about amethyst?

Or maybe apatite?

Hmph.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
or perhaps paraiba?? :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I would love paraiba, but I can't afford it. I can dream though, VL.

Maybe I could have a cushion blue-green tourmaline cut and then have a double prong head made? I should contact Quest before doing that. Hmm.

Chrono, I found this from Christie's, and I see why you suggested green. Too bad green tsavorite is not more affordable.

an-emerald-diamond-and-gold-etoile-compact-by-suzanne-belperron.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amethyst will work in YG too.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Chrono.

Hmm. I am not feeling the excitement about this project. Must keep searching.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Preg, I feel like you just don't like the setting. You've been going back and forth on it for years now, and you have thought about so many alterations to it that I can't even remember them all. I really think that you should try to sell it, because even if you set something in it, I don't think you're going to be happy with it. :(sad Have you thought about consigning it with someone?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think you might be right...but I love the burnished setting of the melee. I wonder if I could have a stone cut for the ring and set flush with the band.

My original idea for this setting was modern. For some reason, no prong set stone looks "right" to me. I like the Tiffany Etoile.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about a rose cut white stone? Bezel set? I'm just trying to brainstorm ideas....anything rose cut in Julia B's shop catch your eye?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Freke! I have always wanted a rose cut diamond, but I never thought of a rose cut something else. I am going over to Etsy to look!

Can a rose cut be set the same as a regular diamond, or does it need a special head like a cabochon. Quest told me that they cannot make a bezel head, but a bigger prong head to hold a 7 mm stone.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Do you think a round or cushion is going to look better in this setting?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1404875958|3709486 said:
Freke! I have always wanted a rose cut diamond, but I never thought of a rose cut something else. I am going over to Etsy to look!

Can a rose cut be set the same as a regular diamond, or does it need a special head like a cabochon. Quest told me that they cannot make a bezel head, but a bigger prong head to hold a 7 mm stone.
That's a good question. I've been told that they fare best with a bezel around them so that the edges can't chip with wear. Seems like they could cut the head out and build a completely new one, right? Let me go find pics of the setting....I can picture it in my head but not specifics about the head!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think a round, but I think it depends on the stone mostly!

I think a jeweler with a laser could take that head off, but I'm not well versed in that. Maybe if Michael E or Beatriz were to come by, we could learn something new?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Freke, you hit it on the head. Quest, who made the head, said they can laser it off and make a new one to accommodate a 7 mm round stone.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about a semi bezel? Thoughts on that idea?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I wanted a semi bezel but Quest said it could not be done. I believe them. WF would not help me at with the setting, and said it was not possible to alter it...and Quest did it. So I trust Quest.

I have seen the ACS stone before, but it looks too dull to me. There was a time when I would have loved a spess in here, but I have not seen any nice orange ones in forever. I would also be open to a faceted opal...I have some Welos but none are faceted.

I am going to look at faceted pearls...

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Freke, I want to post a bunch of times too, but I have to stop myself and wait until others chime in.

Here's a new idea. I could ask Quest to make me a diamond encrusted star or moon and somehow work it into the design. The burnish set diamonds in the setting kind of look like stars in the sky.

fremada-rhodium-plated-sterling-silver-cubic-zirconia-star-ring-p15535554.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results