shape
carat
color
clarity

Cost of living in CA

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband would like to retire to CA but looking online at rent or housing prices it seems impossible. Is there anywhere a decent retirement house can be purchased for under $300,000?
I much prefer to go to The Villages in FL where I can get a GREAT house for under $200,000.

FYI, my current house is 3500 sq ft about $500,000. I would want about 1500 sq ft and lower taxes, therefore the lower housing price.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure there are a few places, but it would depend on what you want and where you want it. I always laugh because when I meet people from other states, and say where we live they always ask why we would want to live there because it is so crowded. I like being able to get to everything I want in a day-the beach, the mountains, shopping, theatre.

Are you interested in SoCal, NorCal or the Central Coast? You might be able to stay around your budget around Sacramento, but you couldn't find a single thing near San Fran or surrounding cities, I think. If you were interested in a condo you might have better luck in the 300's.

We generally don't have the humidity of FL or the bugs. Snakes, yes, bugs not as bad. Although as I write this it is dumping rain outside.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Decent"?

The problem is one person's 'decent' is another person's unacceptable.
People vary, you know. :wink2:

Near the beach is more expensive, but the climate is TDF.
Near a big city is more expensive, so if you have no need to commute to a job I'd look in remote areas.

Consider that traffic can dominate your life in huge vicinities surrounding Los Angeles, San Francisco, or San Diego.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where in California would you like to retire?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Traffic most surely influences what you do and when you do it here. I had to drop my son off at Ucla the other day and made sure we went between high traffic hours and we still hit quite a bit. Today we are staying home because traffic will be bumper to bumper where ever you try to get to.

We bought a house here in 1985 for 140k, in 96' for 214k' and 2004 for 540k, (although after the downturn we are at about 420k). It's not all that fancy but more high end that what you would find in Orange county for the price.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1404508693|3706887 said:
I am sure there are a few places, but it would depend on what you want and where you want it. I always laugh because when I meet people from other states, and say where we live they always ask why we would want to live there because it is so crowded. I like being able to get to everything I want in a day-the beach, the mountains, shopping, theatre.

Are you interested in SoCal, NorCal or the Central Coast? You might be able to stay around your budget around Sacramento, but you couldn't find a single thing near San Fran or surrounding cities, I think. If you were interested in a condo you might have better luck in the 300's.

We generally don't have the humidity of FL or the bugs. Snakes, yes, bugs not as bad. Although as I write this it is dumping rain outside.
Don't move here it is a boring city... :bigsmile: A nice 1500 sq ft home in decent area will go for about $350k.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Try Bakersfield or Folsom. Both are great cost of living. Though you have to like the heat.
Neither are near the coast though.

You can also look in the San Luis Obispo area (Central Coast) if you want something by the coast. You'll have to go inland a bit to get a house, but you'll be within 40 minutes of the coast. So it might be nice for you. But you are looking at closer to 350 for that area.

If you don't mind cool-damp weather year round you can also look in Humboldt County and that is right on the water. It is FAR from a major airport though, so keep that in mind.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd MUCH rather live in a dump near the beach :sun: with fresh cool clean air than in a nicer/larger house inland where it's hot and smoggy. :knockout:

But clearly many people don't mind running their AC all day and hurrying between buildings and their air conditioned car.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might be able to get a trailor or manufactured home in SLO or maybe a condo for 300. Maybe. We have spent a bit of time looking there. If that could be had, I would be there. It is hard to find anything going up to Paso Robles for that price.

If I could live anywhere in CA I would pick SLO, (but you have to be ok living close to the El Diablo nuclear power plant. We are talking earthquake country here), or Carpinteria, or Cambria or the Oxnard/Ventura area.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I moved out of CA to retire but we lived in the absolute most beautiful place in CA. Just outside Crescent City and 19 miles from the Oregon border on the coast. Not much there in the way of shopping but it was the most gorgeous scenery and hardly any people. At the time we left the population for the whole county was 36K. If I were to move back that is the only place I would live. I was born in Sac though and moved north at 25. Cost of living is low and you can get a house well priced. We did not need AC in the house.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
If you're looking for low taxes, California is the last place you'd want to be! Not only property tax, which varies by location, but state income tax, sales tax, gas tax, then there's cost of energy with all Ca's fake global warming initiatives, and any number of taxes on whatever they can figure out to pick your pocket with. It's one of the highest-cost states in the country. Great climate(s), tons of neat stuff to do, and beautiful, but you gotta bring money.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle said:
You might be able to get a trailor or manufactured home in SLO or maybe a condo for 300. Maybe. We have spent a bit of time looking there. If that could be had, I would be there. It is hard to find anything going up to Paso Robles for that price. If I could live anywhere in CA I would pick SLO, (but you have to be ok living close to the El Diablo nuclear power plant. We are talking earthquake country here), or Carpinteria, or Cambria or the Oxnard/Ventura area.

My parents live in that area. They have a fairly average house, inland, and it's value is around $500k. They keep trying to get us to move down there, but there's no way. It's just too expensive. Not to mention some of the ridiculous laws...I will never get used to not getting a grocery bag (for free) with my purchase.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree! I never remember to bring the bags in from my car either. My hubby parents live in Santa Maria. Weather is great but there is a surprising amount of crime. We usually spend a few weeks in the summer at Pismo. I have heard that the grocery bag thing is coming to all of CA very soon. We have been thinking about where to live in retirement too. We will probably stay put. Our little town is friendly and quiet and we even get the occasional dusting of snow.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many plastic bags end up in the ocean only to be swallowed by fish. ;(

I'm glad they are banned in many CA cities.
I hope the rest of the country and world gets onboard.

It's no trouble to bring my own bags to the store.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
kenny said:

Agreed. Although some storm drains do have nets set up, cleanup cost is massive given the amount of plastic bags that end up clogging the drains. Most city/county contracts require trash trucks to have some sort of cover, but a lot of plastic bags end up flying out of them anyway and they end up on the streets and eventually into the drains. I've also seen a lot of people just toss bags on the ground or out the car. Once in the ocean, the plastic is eaten by wildlife who cannot digest them, and it eventually kills them. Or the handles end up around the necks of sea animals and it eventually suffocates them. Since LA County banned plastic bags, there has been a significant decrease of plastic bags on the roads and sides of freeways.

I keep a few grocery sized bags that roll into itself clipped to my purse. They're lightweight and take up almost no space. I also keep sturdier and larger bags in my car. Many countries around the world have already banned plastic bags a long time ago!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
AprilBaby, $300k is probably not going to get much around L.A. I live near Pasadena. The suburb I live in is pretty decent, with a good enough school district to maintain real estate value. Our fully renovated 1500 sq ft house was $570k, and it has increased in value by quite a bit in the past few years. Lot size is about 8000 sq ft. Some nearby suburbs can get up to and over $1m for the same size house. We pay close to $8k a year in property tax. For two people, gas is about $13/month, electricity is about $40/month (we don't run the AC too often, it gets warm but it's not that hot), water is about $60 every two months, and trash is about $50 every two months. Our homeowners insurance is under $600 for the year. Hope the COL breakdown helps!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1404520309|3706985 said:

I agree, I am just forgetful! Most of my shopping is done at Costco where I don't get any bags.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I live in the grocery bag area in CA. I voted for it. Kicked myself when it first got instituted, but now love it. I think it's a great idea. The key is: get a LOT of high quality bags (when the county went with this, all the good stores Target, Costco, Sprouts, etc. were just GIVING the bags away the first month, so it is easy to stock up)most places sell them for 99 cents (good ones too!) and keep your car stocked with them.

We have 4 insulated bags from Trader Joes. 2 for each car. Plus a really BIG one from Costco (that stays in my car). Plus about 15 other bags so that we never run out. It works out. Marshalls/Homegoods/TJmaxx have great sized bags. Ranch 99 also has a great bag, I have two of those, one for each car.

We frequently leave bags in the house, but we have enough that even if we remember to take them out to the car once a week, we are never out of them.

And if you forget to take your bag in the store, that's fine too. Just put the stuff back in your cart and fill up your bags at your car.

The only place it makes me uncomfortable is at the Pharmacy. The Pharmacy is always in the back and then I buy stuff and have to walk through the store feeling like a shop lifter and then when I get to the front I waive my receipt the clerks (who couldn't care less) so they KNOW I'm not stealing.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
As someone else said. If someone invented a tax, CA instituted it. Cost of living out here is REALLY HIGH. So yeah... move to FL. I would if I could, honestly.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just to give you an idea of home prices. These homes are very comparable 2-3 bedrooms +/-1500 square feet. Not new, not amazingly renovated but solid move in condition (well, the one in Templeton needs new flooring right away) that needs some cosmetic updating.

All of them have very good school districts for property values. And none are in George Lucas, Rockstar, Lifestyles of Rich and Famous areas (so not Tiberon, Menlo, Beverly Hills, Malibu type areas), but rather are in good residential areas. Not going to do San Francisco itself or San Diego on the water (La Jolla) or in the heart of LA because well... that's not somewhere an out of state retiree is going to be able to afford.

$350k in Central Coast Templeton (not ON water, 40 minutes away) http://www.redfin.com/CA/Templeton/175-Hawley-St-93465/home/49828650
$800K and up Central Coast (ON water): http://www.redfin.com/CA/Cayucos/358-Taft-Ave-93430/home/51644432
$325k in Folsom (Sacramento Metro Area): http://www.redfin.com/CA/Folsom/460-Parker-Dr-95630/home/19343625
$1M and up in Nor Cal Mid-Penninsula (Nor Cal Metro) http://www.redfin.com/CA/Burlingame/1204-Mills-Ave-94010/home/1589861
$750k and up in nice East Bay Nor Cal Metro. http://www.redfin.com/CA/Lafayette/3270-Hillview-Ln-94549/home/1307816
600K and up in Glendale/Los Angeles Metro (not by water) http://www.redfin.com/CA/Glendale/740-Cordova-Ave-91206/home/7162723
1.2M and up in Los Angeles Metro (by water)/ Santa Monica: http://www.redfin.com/CA/Santa-Monica/1222-Pearl-St-90405/home/6775169
$470 and up in San Diego Metro (NOT by water): http://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Diego/11730-Giles-Way-92126/home/4541491
$270K in Bakersfield (Central Valley): http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/14005-San-Lazaro-Ave-Bakersfield-CA-93314/18944788_zpid/
250K in Eureka (North Coast): http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3339-D-St-Eureka-CA-95503/18817100_zpid/

CA is HUGE. Compare it to the east coast sometime. You can find something for everyone. It just depends on what you are willing to compromise on. Somethings though, are state-wide. Taxes and gas prices, etc.

How to find good areas to live in CA. Pick an area. Then go here: http://schoolperformancemaps.com/ca/ Find a good school district. Use that School Name or zip code to narrow options for housing. You want to stay in a good school district if possible so your property appreciates.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buy a dump in a nice area and gradually fix it up, or not.

The only thing you can never upgrade about a house is its location.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1404537633|3707112 said:
Buy a dump in a nice area and gradually fix it up.

The only thing you can never upgrade is a house's location.

That always the best thing to. The homes I picked for property value comparisons need cosmetic updates to bathrooms or kitchens and aren't in pristine renovated, or new home condition.

Location, location, location!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Compare above to what you can get in FL.

Tampa area. Great school district right at water (but actual home is not on flood plain and doesn't require insurance): http://www.redfin.com/FL/Safety-Harbor/204-Hillsborough-St-34695/home/47896842

Personally, no contest for me. I'd be on my way to Florida.
1899479hicd1y5rmz.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it wasn't for the cost of living I would live in California in a heartbeat and all because of their awesome incredible and yes almost perfect weather. But that's just a dream because the fact is it is too expensive for most to live comfortably. However one might define comfortably notice I say most. For some they can make do with living on less to enjoy all California has to offer.

But just to play along for a moment. I love Malibu and would love a beautiful dream beach house right on the beach there.

But would be quite happy with a house on the beach almost anywhere in California. Laguna Beach, Newport Beach well I would be happy in many different California beach towns I think.

If only florida's weather was better I think it would be a great choice. Whenever my dh and I watch beachfront bargain hunt I realize how much one can get for their money there. The gulf coast with their sugar sand. Oh my it is lovely! Just need to build your home high and hurricane proof as best as possible there.

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
We live in NorCal - SF Bay Area, and bought a house 3 yrs ago. We moved here about 8 years ago from Atlanta. Homes are crazy expensive here, but salaries are also more. However if you are retiring, then it doesn't mater what the salaries are. We've started looking at upgrading/ buying a bigger home recently. Here are some averages - 3 bedroom on a 8,000 sq ft lot - $750K-900K (fixer upper) - $1.5M- 2.0M (new or almost new). Condos 2 bedroom, $500K min. These prices are for good locations FYI. You can also go farther "away"/inland and pay less but most people would want to pay more to live in the premium area. Especially because traffic stinks. Property tax is 1.25% of the purchase price. So if you buy a 1.5M home, you're paying $18,750/ year in prop taxes.

As for CA being a higher cost of living, the biggest/highest costs that I see are homes/prop insurance. Oh and don't forget about Earthquake insurance - on a 800K house that's $1K per year, on a 1.5M house, that's about $4K per year.

Food tends to be more expensive too, but I don't really notice that much anymore, you just get used to it.

I think Gas is a bit on the high side too, but again, we're used to it.

When home shopping, I keep thinking "can you imagine what we could get for 1.5-2M in other parts of the country?" It's painful, lol! But you just can't think of that, you are where you are and if you want to be there, you pay for it. And we love it here, so it's worth it for us.

Good luck with your retirement location search. Let us know if you have any other specific questions.

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh and I really like the new grocery bag law. Those plastic bags are so bad for the environment. I keep a stash of the cloth bags in my trunk and bring them into the grocery store (or Target, etc) with me every time I go. The only place I will pay for bags is at the mall/clothing store. I don't want my new clothes going into a "grocery store bag". That just seems weird to me. When you pay for a bag (.10/bag) they give you paper, which is better than plastic anyway.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! My hubby would prefer San Diego or Palo Alto but it's Fla all the way for me! Maybe he could send checks!!!

He is convinced we could get a condo in San Diego for under $300,000 but I think he is nuts!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
AprilBaby|1404578811|3707326 said:
Thanks! My hubby would prefer San Diego or Palo Alto but it's Fla all the way for me! Maybe he could send checks!!!

He is convinced we could get a condo in San Diego for under $300,000 but I think he is nuts!

I'm in San Diego currently and he is BONKERS. I have a 2 bedroom townhouse built in the 70's about 10/15 min from the beach and while we rent, if I were to buy it would be $400k for just this 1,100 dump haha. We are here because of the military but will be moving to WA next year. As far as the most unreasonably priced housing in the country, SD is #2 and San Fran (so Palo Alto) is #1. I think it would be a huge mistake.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
If you like coastal living there are coastal towns (Marina, Seaside) that are slightly south of Santa Cruz (Nor Cal). 3/2 for around $400,000. Inland just a bit is Watsonville.

California property is more expensive that most other places but I wonder what people pay per month to air condition a large house in Florida. I had a friend who lived in North Carolina and during a rough winter was paying $800 a month to heat his house.

PS So glad for the plastic bag ban. I grew up pre plastic bags and I never liked them in the first place. It seemed like such a waste since most were used for about 5 minutes (the time it took to drive home and unpack groceries).

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
AprilBaby said:

Hmm, maybe 18-20 years ago. SD prices haven't been that low since before I went to college. My mom still regrets not investing in a townhouse there while I was in high school. The amount I paid in rent was ridiculous. Renting out extra rooms would have covered the entire mortgage, and she would have made a nice profit when it sold!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results