shape
carat
color
clarity

Taking Vacation Time While Pregnant

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I'm 14 weeks pregnant and I announced to everyone a few weeks ago. I was worried about how my boss would react because she will have to cover for me while I'm gone and she has a ton on her plate already, but she seemed genuinely happy for me.

I know I'll be taking 6-12 weeks for FMLA when the baby arrives, and I only have about 3 weeks in my PTO bank right now. I will probably have a couple more weeks by the time the baby comes, if I don't need to miss work unexpectedly.

I would like to take a week off this summer. I'm not sure what the protocol is for taking time off when you're pregnant. I'm not really concerned about my income (or lack thereof) during FMLA, but I am worried that my company will be upset if I take time now, knowing that I'll be taking a lot of time this winter.

I really feel like I need a vacation. The last time I took a week off was for Christmas, and' other than that, it's just been the regular weekends and holidays. We've been working on a massive project over the course of several months, which we have now launched and have stabilized (for the most part).

I took one extra day over Memorial weekend because I was so sick and worn out, and also because I found out at the last minute that they would be painting in my department (I didn't want to be exposed to the fumes during my first trimester). I've also been taking time for doctor appointments, but I'm salaried so that time hasn't counted against me.

Would it be excessive for me to ask to take a week at the end of the month?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all many congratulations on your pregnancy! So exciting! :appl:

And second of all I am probably not the best person to answer this question but I'm going to anyway. Take the time you need. You can never get this time back with your family, your new baby and time goes by so quickly. From personal experience I can say you never know what is going to happen in life so live in the moment and enjoy and do NOT live for work or delay taking precious time you need. Having said that do not leave work high and dry of course. You are a professional and they count on you but if you give them enough notice and they can make do without you by all means go for it. If you do not need the income then IMO it is a no brainer.

Good luck and all the best for a happy and healthy baby! :appl:

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FMLA and vacation are separate. I would not integrate the two in my thinking at all. You earned your vacation time and are entitled to take it! Do not feel guilty for being pregnant and taking the time to which you are entitled.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
LV said what I was thinking. Your pregnancy and fmla leave have nothing to do with wanting to take vacation now, as long as you're not trying to save up vacation time for your maternity leave.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Id try to save as many days as you can to stay home longer once baby is born. Fmla is over very quickly and caring for a newborn is a lot. Maybe take a day off here and there to recharge unless you feel that a week right now will be really helpful. I wouldn't be too concerned with what others at work think. Btw, first trimester is much harder on the body and spirit than second.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't feel bad about taking time off. I'm 12 weeks right now and am taking two weeks off this summer. I'm also taking a week off in the fall. I would take more time off if I had more vacation time on the books!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Agree with all the other posters--I wouldn't consider it a big deal at all. I took vacation while pregnant...in fact, every pregnant person I've worked with has taken vacation time prior to having their baby. And nobody has ever discouraged it. Take your vacation time and enjoy it!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Vacation pay is part of your compensation package. FMLA only protects your job for up to 12 weeks at a time. Pay during that period of time comes either from disability or an internal company specific program (if you're lucky). I wouldn't hesitate to take a vacation while pregnant. Vacation and maternity leave are two totally different things, imo.

ETA: FML does not guarantee pay during your leave, either.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Another thing to think about- some companies have a policy where you have to use up all of your available leave while on FMLA. If that is the case in your company, if definitely use some vacation before baby. Otherwise it's going to be a while before you accrue enough.

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm so glad, because I really want to take some time off this summer.

AMC - You're totally right. My employer does have a policy that states exactly that: all accrued PTO must be used before unpaid FMLA.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
shihtzulover said:
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm so glad, because I really want to take some time off this summer. AMC - You're totally right. My employer does have a policy that states exactly that: all accrued PTO must be used before unpaid FMLA.

In that case, if you're not concerned about income while on FMLA, I'd use up as much as possible before.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both places I worked, I needed to use my medical and annual leave to be paid while I was on fmlv (8 weeks each time). though maybe it has changed since then I also had to be "working" (using leave) in order to stay on my health insurance. In one case I spread out my leave so I was technically working part time 32 hours a week so I would be covered. but this was 7 and 11 years ago so things may have changed.

So I would just check those things (have enough financial cushion to get through leave if use up annual leave, and check if any insurance implications).

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
part gypsy|1405021629|3710745 said:
Both places I worked, I needed to use my medical and annual leave to be paid while I was on fmlv (8 weeks each time). though maybe it has changed since then I also had to be "working" (using leave) in order to stay on my health insurance. In one case I spread out my leave so I was technically working part time 32 hours a week so I would be covered. but this was 7 and 11 years ago so things may have changed.

So I would just check those things (have enough financial cushion to get through leave if use up annual leave, and check if any insurance implications).

Thanks for the advice, Part Gypsy! My company does have a policy that states that insurance coverage is discontinued when an individual switches to unpaid leave, but luckily my insurance is through my husband's company.

To be honest, I'm considering not going back at all after the baby is born. It's a really tough situation because I have a really rare position that would be next to impossible to find again (at least without relocating, and we absolutely love where we live and don't foresee ever moving to a new city). On the other hand, I have some health issues that make working difficult even without being pregnant and/or having a new baby. Also, my mom is newly retired and if she decides to go back to work (she's already going stir crazy) instead of watching the baby, it would almost make more sense for me to stay home.

I know this is a really hard decision many mamas have to face. It's definitely not easy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
shihtzulover|1405076456|3711265 said:
part gypsy|1405021629|3710745 said:

Thanks for the advice, Part Gypsy! My company does have a policy that states that insurance coverage is discontinued when an individual switches to unpaid leave, but luckily my insurance is through my husband's company.

To be honest, I'm considering not going back at all after the baby is born. It's a really tough situation because I have a really rare position that would be next to impossible to find again (at least without relocating, and we absolutely love where we live and don't foresee ever moving to a new city). On the other hand, I have some health issues that make working difficult even without being pregnant and/or having a new baby. Also, my mom is newly retired and if she decides to go back to work (she's already going stir crazy) instead of watching the baby, it would almost make more sense for me to stay home.

I know this is a really hard decision many mamas have to face. It's definitely not easy.

This is a difficult decision to be sure. No need to make it just now. Take it slowly and see how it goes. I understand some of what you are going through despite not being a mom because my position at work is also very unusual and unique and not easily replaced with another if I lose my job due to me being unable to go back in a timely fashion. In fact I would not be able to replace my current job with a similar one anywhere in my state and not sure if there is anything like it in another state but it wouldn't matter because I am not licensed in any other state anyway.

Just wanted to chime in because I do understand and my advice to you is for you not to make any final decisions just yet. See how you feel and how your mother feels and how your dh feels and take it one day at a time. It is always easier to make a decision to leave than to get a job back because once you leave there might be no going back so don't do anything just yet. Hugs to you and deep breaths. You have time to decide. Sending good dust your way.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I'm almost 11 weeks pregnant and fully intend to take a week or more off in September to go overseas to Hong Kong to visit family. I've already told this to my boss and he was completely fine with it.

I'm briefly considered staying at home but I'm 99% sure I'm going back to work. I have no idea how I'll feel once the baby actually gets here though. I think you should approach all work-related things with the intent of coming back, so it remains an option. You can always choose to leave permanently while you are on maternity leave. And you have plenty of time to decide!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
SMC|1405100998|3711462 said:
You can always choose to leave permanently while you are on maternity leave. And you have plenty of time to decide!

Just be sure to go back to work for a week or two, otherwise your company will often make you pay back the disability payments you received on FMLA.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1405109181|3711510 said:
SMC|1405100998|3711462 said:
You can always choose to leave permanently while you are on maternity leave. And you have plenty of time to decide!

Just be sure to go back to work for a week or two, otherwise your company will often make you pay back the disability payments you received on FMLA.
Good point! So your first day back from mat leave can be the day you give your 2 weeks' notice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results