carat
color
clarity

'Low profile' earrings - BGD 8-prongs?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey all :)

Bear with me on this one, I'm kind of typing as my train of thought travels so apologies if it's all a bit disjointed / out of sequence :loopy: lol

As a male and not being a wearer of earrings, trying to 'size up' how earrings would sit from pictures is a little hard... :???:

I'm thinking about buying the other half a pair of diamond earrings but I know that she doesn't like anything too flashy, nothing too 'sticky out', nothing too big...

... so I'm thinking about some small (~0.5ctw) diamonds in a low profile setting.

The BGD 8-prong settings are very appealing visually because I like their strong 'architecture' :)
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond-earrings/studs/eight-prong-studs-platinum-5775p
and I also like the fact that they seem very reasonably priced at $375 in Platinum!

But are they 'low profile'?? :confused:

Mara posted a great side profile shot in this thread:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/8-prong-martini-studs.39350/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/8-prong-martini-studs.39350/[/URL]
and they look like they don't stick out much. Is that a fairly accurate assessment?

Bastetcat posted a great thread here on these earrings with similar size stones to what I'd be looking for:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thank-you-bgd-my-first-big-girl-studs-are-here.188069/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thank-you-bgd-my-first-big-girl-studs-are-here.188069/[/URL]
and the prongs don't look like they overpower the stone too much :) but cpster in this thread says that they would be too much on a 0.7-0.8ctw pair of stones:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wfs-8-prong-vs-3-prong-martini-for-stud-earrings.49137/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wfs-8-prong-vs-3-prong-martini-for-stud-earrings.49137/[/URL]
so I am confused. :???:

Would the BGD 'Truth' studs sit lower in the earlobe instead?
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond-earrings/studs/truth-studs-platinum-5773p
They are, of course, double the money… :roll: lol

I do also like the WF 6-prong Martini settings because they look like they would sit a little lower in the earlobe:
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-earrings/6-prong-martini-earrings-2312.htm
but they say they are only suitable for stones from 0.70 to 3.00ct :( (and they start at $750!)

I'm not super-keen on the WF 3-prong Martini settings:
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-earrings/3-prong-martini-diamond-earrings-305.htm
despite them probably leaving the stone more 'open', because they look like they sit quite proud of the earlobe and I think the other half would worry about damaging them, so I think I’d prefer the ‘Truth’ earrings over these.

I had wondered about bezel earrings but I think they might look too bulky and the stones might get 'lost' in them because they will not be very big, although they would be secure and probably lower profile than any of the above earrings…

Any thoughts and recommendations very gratefully received, apologies for being a bit useless with all this! :oops: I am pretty much sold on the BGD 8-prongs but I thought I’d just check… lol

Cheers! :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally think 8 prongs covers up too much of the diamond at that size. Even with 2 ct stones, I'd go no higher than the 6 prong setting, but that us just my personal preference.

I like BG's low 4 prong basket setting. They do not sink into and stretch the earlobe like maritini's do, but they are really low (but request it). Here is a picture of a pair and it is very close to how Tiffany sets their studs. Second pic is Tiffany.

studssetlow.jpg

_19767.jpg

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
The 8-prong settings do sit low, and are great looking on any size stone.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another idea, for very "low profile" and very dainty studs are their bezel studs. VERY low profile, very dainty, and very not-sticky-outty. I would not use the "get lost in them" descriptor. Here's my thread of mine, mind you smaller than you're looking at because I REALLY wanted dainty. I don't wear earrings very often (or any of my stuff really) but I've worn these more than I ever wore a martini or any other style earring since I removed my CBRs.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hubba-hubba.198793/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hubba-hubba.198793/[/URL]

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I went shopping for earring settings last week and saw both the 6 and 8 prong. I tried on a pair in a GORGEOUS antique-like setting and they did stick out, like you say. That didn't work for me and looked funny, like I had shiny bolts in my ears. I was really surprised how delicate the 8 prong setting is in person. I saw them on .4 stones and they didn't overwhelm at all. I also tried on some bezeled stones and they looked nice and low profile too. White metal bezels can help make higher colored stones appear to look a bit whiter, and small stones a little bigger.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks very much for the replies, all, it's much appreciated :))

Those low-set baskets look oookaaayyyy... lol They're just not particularly 'striking' IMHO! I don't know - I like architectural styles where you can 'read' the construction, but for some reason I think I like jewellery to 'flow' or somehow look to be organic and flowing in nature, hence the attraction to the 8-prongs!

Those bezel settings do look good, though, Ame, damn you for distracting me with them ;-) I wasn't sure if the bezel would be a bit too much but they look quite dainty still, and security-wise I imagine the stones are very well protected! Perhaps BGD could make the bezel as small as possible? I will have to ask...

Thanks again everyone! :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love the BG handmade bezel settings on this size diamond! The only reason I would not do it is if you plan on upgrading the diamonds in the future. In that case go with less expensive settings. But BG does beautiful bezel settings much like the Tiffany originals. That actually would be my first choice for diamonds in the .50-.60 ctw range.

The bezels will be dainty. I believe Ame's stones were smaller than yours, so the bezel won't look as big in proportion to your diamonds. I think they will be lower than those stock 8 prong settings. (The ones you linked that Mara showed are not the same settings that you see on the BG site.)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1404432575|3706345 said:
(The ones you linked that Mara showed are not the same settings that you see on the BG site.)
Really? Oh, poop, didn't realise that... d'oh! Thanks for letting me know :)

I wouldn't think an upgrade would be on the cards probably ever so no worries on getting a slightly more expensive setting now :) I also hadn't considered the bezel would look smaller so that is a good thing!

Decisions... :sun:

Although, perhaps I shouldn't, seeing as I am wobbling on the F colour e-ring stone I have which I've been comparing to a CZ and am now worried I can notice the tint too easily next to the almost-blue (!) and presumably D colour CZ, so am contemplating blowing budget out the water to upgrade already... :facepalm:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Noooooo! F is a fabulous color!!! Do you want your diamond to look like a CZ??????!!!!!!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1404434112|3706362 said:
Noooooo! F is a fabulous color!!! Do you want your diamond to look like a CZ??????!!!!!!
I know, I know... :???: :| :lol:

It just sometimes looks a bit 'beige' from 45 degrees and in flat lighting, and I can notice the difference to the CZ ring! :( I know the other half will never notice and she won't care (she is already going to kill me if she finds out how much I've already spent lol) but it's the whole 'mindclean' thing... 2000 bucks extra to upgrade 2 colours and 4 (4!) points to the diamond I've got my eye on would be madness, though, I know! :???:

Damn my expensive taste, I blame my mother... lol

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The "Truth" setting is beautiful, but it requires a 4.5 mm or larger stone. I don't think .25's are going to hit that mark.

I'd go with the 8-prong martini setting, or a baby bezel like Ame's. I recall a previous thread in which people who owned baby bezel earrings compared the bezels, and BGD's was hands down the thinnest of those offered by popular PS vendors... in fact, at least one person felt that they were too thin. :wink2: I think the bezel is a nice touch for that size stud.

ETA - I have a pair of .50ctw bezeled studs and I really like the size and look. They're subtle but there, IYKWIM. Mine are in the traditional/older "standing bezel" style basket though. One of these days I'll get them converted to more of a baby bezel like BGD's.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"OoohShiny|1404392464|3705918"]Hey all :)

Bear with me on this one, I'm kind of typing as my train of thought travels so apologies if it's all a bit disjointed / out of sequence :loopy: lol

As a male and not being a wearer of earrings, trying to 'size up' how earrings would sit from pictures is a little hard... :???:

You never know Oosh, my Hubby now has both ears pierced ( I did one for him :twisted: ) and he proudly sports some spiffy sets of earrings!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OoohShiny|1404434027|3706361 said:
(The ones you linked that Mara showed are not the same settings that you see on the BG site.)

I wouldn't think an upgrade would be on the cards probably ever so no worries on getting a slightly more expensive setting now :) I also hadn't considered the bezel would look smaller so that is a good thing!

Although, perhaps I shouldn't, seeing as I am wobbling on the F colour e-ring stone I have which I've been comparing to a CZ and am now worried I can notice the tint too easily next to the almost-blue (!) and presumably D colour CZ, so am contemplating blowing budget out the water to upgrade already... :facepalm:

faintthud.gif

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei|1404460941|3706593 said:

You never know Oosh, my Hubby now has both ears pierced ( I did one for him :twisted: ) and he proudly sports some spiffy sets of earrings!
I really am not a jewellery person - I used to wear a couple of rings (chavvy sovereign and a name ring :???: ) but I've literally not worn them for about 18 years (now I think about it :shock: ).

I might make an exception for a big fat Octavia in a cool tension setting, perhaps as an engagement or wedding ring, but that would be it, I think!

Watches are about the only thing most men seem to wear for jewellery round here! (I can't abide gold chains :???: lol, I don't know why! Too many images of Del Boy, I reckon :lol: )

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei|1404461282|3706596 said:
OoohShiny|1404434027|3706361 said:

faintthud.gif
Someone needs to slap me :knockout: lol

If only Wink had an E VVS2 in about a 0.65-0.69, that would be the 110% perfect solution! Compromises always have to be made, though, and he did say that it would be rare to get one like that, and likely impossible to cut one specially for me in my budget, so I should just stick with what I've got and stop being obsessive (and stop comparing it to the CZ ring she never wears :roll: :lol: ) especially when it's going to cost a small fortune to take a step up!

The other half won't notice or even care if I dd upgrade, I'm sure - all she will do is waterboard me to find out the rough cost then put me in solitary confinement for spending what I already have! :???: :lol:

I think if I pick up a pair of earrings for around half the upgrade cost, that would get her something nice to wear everyday and not blow the budget. I could also give her a small box, tease her slightly when she opens it because it's 'only' earrings :tongue: then roll out the big gun :mrgreen: lol

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why do you need VVS2 again? How about a lovely eyeclean F VS???

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
OoohShiny said:

Those low-set baskets look oookaaayyyy... lol They're just not particularly 'striking' IMHO! I don't know - I like architectural styles where you can 'read' the construction, but for some reason I think I like jewellery to 'flow' or somehow look to be organic and flowing in nature, hence the attraction to the 8-prongs!

Those bezel settings do look good, though, Ame, damn you for distracting me with them ;-) I wasn't sure if the bezel would be a bit too much but they look quite dainty still, and security-wise I imagine the stones are very well protected! Perhaps BGD could make the bezel as small as possible? I will have to ask...

Actually their handmade bezels are SUPER thin and dainty, and for lack of better description, barely there while still being protective. I specifically went with them because of that. I knew that for me prongs were not cutting it with my work phone and these have not been an issue in that regard but with mine being plat (white metal in general) it disappears. They are super low profile without like... Getting sucked into the piercing hole like my Martinis sometimes did.

Sizewise mine are .30ctw I think. So smaller than you're going but not so drastically smaller in mm size.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1404512165|3706934 said:
Why do you need VVS2 again? How about a lovely eyeclean F VS???
I hear you... lol

The 0.67 F VVS2 from Wink I already have I would have to upgrade in price to retain 100% value of it against a different stone, which would mean going larger for a F VS2 stone! The other half does not want a big stone (I think I'm already pushing the boundaries now lol) so I need to stay around this size - having hit cut and carat size targets, I only really have clarity and colour to play with. :)

Having looked at the 0.67 with what the Amazon seller says is a 30x loupe and struggled to see any inclusions whatsoever (I still don't think I've seen the feather mentioned on the AGS report!) I understand now that VVS is probably overkill :???: :lol: so I reckon I would be happy to drop down to VS but in a higher colour if I changed for a different stone - my 'mindclean' requirements have changed, if you will. :) Perhaps Wink might get a similar size VS stone in but in E or D for around the same price as I paid? I will just have to wait and see, but I won't hold my breath! :D (I am still looking round at settings and time is edging closer to my September/October deadline, so I should stop vacillating and be grateful for what I have managed to secure stone-wise already - I think custom work is looking like the only option for the ring, but then it's deciding on a custom maker... lol)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1404393071|3705925 said:
I like BG's low 4 prong basket setting. They do not sink into and stretch the earlobe like maritini's do, but they are really low (but request it). Here is a picture of a pair and it is very close to how Tiffany sets their studs. Second pic is Tiffany.
I actually had the presence of mind to check out her current studs this morning because she went to work in a rush without earrings in after waking up when she was supposed to have been leaving :lol:

She currently has what I presume are 6mm CZ hearts in a setting similar to these settings (at least I think they're CZ - I broke out the ASETscope and they are basically non-reflective bits of glass, it looks like :lol: ) so they are a little bigger and stand a little prouder than I thought they did from memory, so that is a good thing - it means I perhaps don't have to worry quite so much about super-low profile studs!

I do still like the 8-prongs, though, and they are by far the cheapest of the options I've seen so far in platinum... (I presume they are made in bulk and adjusted to size as required, rather than each being custom made like the bezel settings are!)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1404530446|3707061 said:
OoohShiny said:

Actually their handmade bezels are SUPER thin and dainty, and for lack of better description, barely there while still being protective. I specifically went with them because of that. I knew that for me prongs were not cutting it with my work phone and these have not been an issue in that regard but with mine being plat (white metal in general) it disappears. They are super low profile without like... Getting sucked into the piercing hole like my Martinis sometimes did.

Sizewise mine are .30ctw I think. So smaller than you're going but not so drastically smaller in mm size.
Thanks for the confirmation on the thinness of the bezel, they do look barely there :) I think the security aspect is a definite plus point! I still don't understand how the post is secured to the 'basket' on earrings, though, that must be the main stress point in an earring but yet they are still dainty where the two meet, rather than chunky with lots of metal!

I am torn between the 8-prong and the bezels, there is almost too much choice in this modern day and age... :lol:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
OoohShiny|1404494017|3706773 said:
I could also give her a small box, tease her slightly when she opens it because it's 'only' earrings :tongue: then roll out the big gun :mrgreen: lol

Did you say 'big gun'? :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

LW-I2withRifle.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL

There's a picture you will never see from a UK PSer! :lol:

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you want .50 tow, that means about .25 each, you may want to re-consider BGD 3 prong martini setting. Bought a pair of .32 carat each for the daughter in the martini setting, since they are small, the prongs don't overtake the stone.
Best of luck.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OoohShiny|1404493486|3706770 said:
Lorelei|1404460941|3706593 said:

Watches are about the only thing most men seem to wear for jewellery round here! (I can't abide gold chains :???: lol, I don't know why! Too many images of Del Boy, I reckon :lol: )

delchains.png

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
OoohShiny|1404594317|3707436 said:
LOL

There's a picture you will never see from a UK PSer! :lol:

Over here you might, that pic was taken in Iraq.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
WillyDiamond|1404596136|3707446 said:
If you want .50 tow, that means about .25 each, you may want to re-consider BGD 3 prong martini setting. Bought a pair of .32 carat each for the daughter in the martini setting, since they are small, the prongs don't overtake the stone.
Best of luck.

I have a .54 CTW pair in 8 prongs, and they look great.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you like all those prongs, then that is great, you have to wear it.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
WillyDiamond|1404699100|3707952 said:
If you like all those prongs, then that is great, you have to wear it.

Umm, yep. And wear it is what I do.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results