shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I say anything? my daughter's bf bought her a..

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The relationship IS more important than the ring. How 'bout you help them buy a really kicker wedding band!!!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1403982584|3702926 said:
Dancing Fire|1403981780|3702922 said:
Thanks, guys!.. :wavey: I can't wait to check her stone out with my I-scope... :naughty: I have never seen a steep/deep stone under the I-scope.. :devil: hope is not a leaker.. :bigsmile:

Considering the diamond is now a keeper everything changes.
It is now the best and most beautiful diamond in the whole world.

I would not pull out Idealscope an unless you somehow get the diamond alone.
If either in the couple sees you examine it with an IS it may make them curious and result in education which may lead to disappointment with the stone.
I have already told her that I'll examine the stone just to be sure it matches the GIA report #, then of course I will also examine it with my I-scope... :naughty:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
John Pollard|1403985140|3702940 said:
Congratulations DF! I'm very excited for your family - and hoping the young man is "Ideal!" for her.

Regarding the boy's selection:

1. I didn't see table size mentioned but 40.8/36.0 is an AGS 0-1 candidate from 55%-58%.
2. He managed to find the rare 0.91 size, in the practical/popular H VS2 range for < $6K
3. Do know there are only 5 in-house GIA 3X or AGS0 graded 0.9X H VS2s listed by PS e-tailers...check the prices.
Thanks JP.. :wavey: The table is 56%, and I'd agree he paid a reasonable price for the ring.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1403988824|3702951 said:
Congratulations DF on your daughter's engagement!
(And being able to keep your feelings to yourself.)
If you're feeling really bad for her you could always
Offer up your Octavia so she can have that stone
With perfect light return like you wanted her to have!
Thanks, tyty.. :wavey:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
motownmama|1403992122|3702963 said:
The relationship IS more important than the ring. How 'bout you help them buy a really kicker wedding band!!!!
If they asked for my help.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats DF on your daughter's engagement - and your restraint... :appl: :lol:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations DF ! You did the right thing :)) You're a good dad.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats on the new addition to your family! You did well!

tinv

Rough_Rock
Does this say something about this future son in law?

I have 2 years old daughter. I kept joking to my wife that when her boyfriend is ready to buy her an engagement ring. I will tell him to give me the money that he wants to spend on an engagement ring for her and I will find him a perfect diamond. I will chip in the difference and get her a 2.0 carat fireball. Of course, I won't tell anyone.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tinv|1404014363|3703120 said:

I have 2 years old daughter. I kept joking to my wife that when her boyfriend is ready to buy her an engagement ring. I will tell him to give me the money that he wants to spend on an engagement ring for her and I will find him a perfect diamond. I will chip in the difference and get her a 2.0 carat fireball. Of course, I won't tell anyone.
Really?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

That sounds all sorts of wrong. I would be pissed at my father if he did that, and I'd feel disgusted that my husband actually accepted. It would completely change our relationship.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can say that now because your daughter is only two. At twenty two, it will be a totally different story. The complete control you have of her life now will slowly be eroded by her maturity and self control. Trust me on that!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1404065338|3703289 said:

That sounds all sorts of wrong. I would be pissed at my father if he did that, and I'd feel disgusted that my husband actually accepted. It would completely change our relationship.

Yup. ;))

Hopefully by the time she is getting married she has managed enough personal growth so that she isn't daddy's little girl anymore, but her own woman in her own mind and has firm enough boundaries in place with you so that you know this isn't acceptable to her.

Chris_Long

Rough_Rock
Congrats on your daughter's engagement! Sorry for the thread hijack, but the diamond I wanted to ask about has similar slightly steep crown angle to what your daughter's fiance got It is above the "ideal" parameters I've seen online. Are you really able to tell the difference when looking at stones slightly off these parameters? I'm with John and some of the other posters who think the stone could be a great performer, but I'd like to learn more from people like you who've assessed large numbers of diamonds.

I did a lot of research to avoid getting ripped off, and ended up buying two I, VS2, AGS 000 stones online to compare. The first one was in the heart of the optimum ranges for all the measurements. The second one was slightly deeper than optimum, had a bit too steep of a crown angle, and the table was a little on the small size. However, the simulated ASET looked pretty comparable, so I took a shot and bought it. Take a look at the two certs.

http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104067957009-PGR.PDF

http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104066418028-PLDQR.PDF

I got them both and looked at them in different light conditions and with a cheap viewer the first diamond came with. I couldn't tell the difference between the two and was in a time crunch, so I went with the cheaper diamond and got it set in a simple solitaire. I then had an independent and well-respected appraiser compare the two diamonds visually, and he thought the one I picked was slightly brighter and was slightly better on color. I was excited about saving $1,500 AND still getting what a diamond expert thought was the better stone. I got a great-looking H&A diamond, even though a few of the measurements were very slightly off what I'd read was the best. So my question to the experts here is whether the diamond appraiser and I both missed something important, or if small deviances from the super ideal cut ranges can still perform as well or better than diamonds in those ranges? Thanks in advance for any insight!

tinv

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1404091331|3703492 said:
ForteKitty|1404065338|3703289 said:

Yup. ;))

Hopefully by the time she is getting married she has managed enough personal growth so that she isn't daddy's little girl anymore, but her own woman in her own mind and has firm enough boundaries in place with you so that you know this isn't acceptable to her.

You guys missed the part where I said "joking".

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chris_Long|1404102359|3703577 said:
Congrats on your daughter's engagement! Sorry for the thread hijack, but the diamond I wanted to ask about has similar slightly steep crown angle to what your daughter's fiance got It is above the "ideal" parameters I've seen online. Are you really able to tell the difference when looking at stones slightly off these parameters? I'm with John and some of the other posters who think the stone could be a great performer, but I'd like to learn more from people like you who've assessed large numbers of diamonds.

I did a lot of research to avoid getting ripped off, and ended up buying two I, VS2, AGS 000 stones online to compare. The first one was in the heart of the optimum ranges for all the measurements. The second one was slightly deeper than optimum, had a bit too steep of a crown angle, and the table was a little on the small size. However, the simulated ASET looked pretty comparable, so I took a shot and bought it. Take a look at the two certs.

http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104067957009-PGR.PDF

http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104066418028-PLDQR.PDF

I got them both and looked at them in different light conditions and with a cheap viewer the first diamond came with. I couldn't tell the difference between the two and was in a time crunch, so I went with the cheaper diamond and got it set in a simple solitaire. I then had an independent and well-respected appraiser compare the two diamonds visually, and he thought the one I picked was slightly brighter and was slightly better on color. I was excited about saving $1,500 AND still getting what a diamond expert thought was the better stone. I got a great-looking H&A diamond, even though a few of the measurements were very slightly off what I'd read was the best. So my question to the experts here is whether the diamond appraiser and I both missed something important, or if small deviances from the super ideal cut ranges can still perform as well or better than diamonds in those ranges? Thanks in advance for any insight!

Hi Chris and welcome!

Congratulations on your purchase, your queries definitely merit you starting another thread so we can discuss your concerns, please do go ahead and start a brand new thread, then we can help you sort all this out! :wavey:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
just inspected my daughter's E-ring under the I-scope (36' crown X 40.8' pavil) like most of us have had expected...it is a leaker. A classic steep/deep GIA stone.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1404179331|3704161 said:
just inspected my daughter's E-ring under the I-scope (36' crown X 40.8' pavil) like most of us have had expected...it is a leaker. A classic steep/deep GIA stone.

why did you look now? if you don't mind me asking, what did it hurt letting it lie?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1404180952|3704173 said:

why did you look now? if you don't mind me asking, what did it hurt letting it lie?
b/c I wanted to make sure that the GIA # matches the girdle #.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1404188549|3704229 said:

You had to check that with an idealscope :Up_to_something:

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
If I may, a .91 H VS2 GIA XXX, even if it is a steep/deep combo, is better than 95% of the stones out there. Your future son-in-law did a good job considering. I wouldn't tell a kid he got an A- and not an A. He didn't get an EGL-Israel .55 K SI2 from Kay.

Could you tell it had a few leakage issues before you scoped it? I'd bet she (a) couldn't and (b) wouldn't care anyway.

I know there that's awkward feeling like, "Argh! He had such a great opportunity to get a perfect one!" I think he did fairly well considering he didn't consult you.

If he came on here as a newly-joined member and wrote, "I just proposed to my girlfriend with a GIA XXX .91 H VS2. I'm worried my future father-in-law won't like me or it because he knows a lot about diamonds," what would we say to him?

We'd say, "Good job." :wavey:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SirGuy|1404215499|3704357 said:
If I may, a .91 H VS2 GIA XXX, even if it is a steep/deep combo, is better than 95% of the stones out there. Your future son-in-law did a good job considering. I wouldn't tell a kid he got an A- and not an A. He didn't get an EGL-Israel .55 K SI2 from Kay.

Could you tell it had a few leakage issues before you scoped it? I'd bet she (a) couldn't and (b) wouldn't care anyway.

I know there that's awkward feeling like, "Argh! He had such a great opportunity to get a perfect one!" I think he did fairly well considering he didn't consult you.

If he came on here as a newly-joined member and wrote, "I just proposed to my girlfriend with a GIA XXX .91 H VS2. I'm worried my future father-in-law won't like me or it because he knows a lot about diamonds," what would we say to him?

bowdown.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1404215072|3704354 said:
Dancing Fire|1404188549|3704229 said:

You had to check that with an idealscope :Up_to_something:
Well, It was on top of my desk ... :devil:
TBH...its got nice sparkles not as bad as I thought, but it should be .10mm bigger in diameter.. :bigsmile:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If that was the case I would tell him to get a refund.. :bigsmile: b/c I did mention to their BFs only to buy GIA or AGS graded stones.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1404221082|3704415 said:

If that was the case I would tell him to get a refund.. :bigsmile: b/c I did mention to their BFs only to buy GIA or AGS graded stones.

You'd tell him to get a refund?? Really?? :confused:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1404246702|3704699 said:
Dancing Fire|1404221082|3704415 said:

You'd tell him to get a refund?? Really?? :confused:
Yes, definitely!.. :praise: if he bought a non GIA or AGS graded stone.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know it kills YOU and we all feel your pain. Seriously. My MIL and BIL replaced her ER diamond when it was lost. They never told me about it and showed up with an awful diamond complete with carbon spots so big I though it was a psychological ink blot exam. I told them that they should have let me know as I had a friend in the business and that he would get a much better stone for a lesser price. They feigned ignorance and it was never mentioned again. My SIL inherited the ring (as she should have) so it really was not a big deal for me. Perhaps you can volunteer your expertise in the wedding band and eventually push present baubles.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
DF you handled it like a champion.

This has been an interesting and fun thread!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results