clarity

How noisy is your family/home?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just the two of us anymore, very quiet!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Relatively quiet. I grew up in the country, so had farm equipment and birds/crickets as background noise. When we got married we bought a house in town. We do have traffic on our street, usually it's not bad. The hospital has a life-flight helicopter, and we have some complete idiots w/insane in the membrane bass in their cars, but now they understand JD lives here and he'll chase them down when it sounds like bomber planes are overhead. The tv is on a lot. JD can't handle working when it's quiet, so if we're in the shop he has music going, and sometimes he'll have it on when we're doing yard work. I like to garden in the quiet b/c it helps me mellow out. In the shop, I'm fine either way, rocking out or just thinking my own thoughts. I'm not a talker.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
We have a VERY quiet home. If my husband is out of town, I don't utter a single word from the time I leave work until the time I'm back at work again.

When I visit family, I have similar feelings to you, Kenny. The only word I can think of as appropriate is cacophony - just sounds from every direction: dogs barking, TV's on that nobody is watching (and turned up LOUDLY), even her fish tank makes too much noise for my liking lol!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Super quiet in my house, too - just hub and I, and oftentimes, the only sound is from the tap-tapping of our keyboards. We got rid of the last stereo because we never turned it on. TV is only on when we are watching something, but never for background noise.

Even when we ride in the car - no music. We either chat together or just ride quietly.

I've come to *really* cherish quiet as a commodity. :)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My son is gone for the summer employed across the country--and so the house is WAY TOO QUIET! Where the heck is the boy who keeps us up all night playing games???? boohoo. I miss the noisy distraction. And the lively discussions around the dinner table.

I do like my solitude since my job is very demanding and stressful--and requires me to talk for 8 hours. So when I get home I need some down time and don't worry about the noise from TV since I don't watch it. I unwind pretty quickly though, since I grew up with three sisters and pets, and therefore am accustomed to noise and people.

cheers--Sharon

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1404070801|3703346 said:
What really drives me nuts more than all that is the meaningless small talk and invented little arguments.
It never ends.
Nobody can be left alone with their thoughts for 5 seconds.
Everyone talks at once ... I once heard a term for it, diarrhea of the mouth.

There are usually 3 to 4 conversations going on in the room.
People bounce between conversations mid-sentence.

That's how my ex in-laws' place was. My MIL talked non-stop, and I do mean non-stop. Everyone talked at once, like nobody was really listening. i just wanted to yell STFU. LOL This was me, every time I had to stay at MIL's house. It made my brain hurt. I'm doing much better after the divorce. I'm sure none of them miss me, either. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rgKAOdPx58

And kids yapping and fighting is something my parents NEVER put up with. They made us either shut up or go sit in our rooms, alone, and there was no TV / radio/ computer/ game console in there for entertainment, either. Do homework or else read a book. haha

I hate chaos. Shut up, all of you! :lol:

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Our house is fairly quiet. We have one child, age 9, and she's a pretty mellow kid. Our house is large, on a large property with lots of pets, but even they're quiet, lol. We only have 1 TV, and when DD is on her laptop she uses her headphones, so we even use electronics quietly. I've never really thought about how quiet we are until now!

Our daughter gets a kick out of visiting friends who have 3 or 4 kids in the family - total chaos by comparison.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
There is always a TV on somewhere in the house (unless it's during mealtime, no TV), but my kids are not very loud....they sit and watch TV quietly, and rarely fight. Dh and I are pretty quiet, we have our chatty moments right after work, but usually there's just comfortable silence. The 4 of us talk during our meals, but there's rarely more than one conversation going on at the same time. The only time there's crazy loud screaming in the house is when dh is watching sports, he is NUTS, I'm sure all the neighbors in our 125 home community can hear him.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I have a toddler so there is a bit of noise when he's awake but really not much. Otherwise it's me and and my husband and we're both very quiet. No tv on unless we're watching, no music on, etc.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Pretty quiet. I don't mind noise much though, unless I'm trying to get work done at home.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on who is home and how much booze is flowing lol...on a typical night its pretty quiet, just me, hubby and our teenage son for the most part son is on computer (BTW teenage son is NOT allowed to drink anything)...but once in awhile he gets on his electric guitar and or electric drums and it gets noisy. Now when the oldest son is home and the youngest son is home it gets LOUD, they love to jam together and oldest son likes to listen to the TV LOUD...I sometimes wonder if he has a hearing problem.....there are no little kids..its tolerable most of time and I know that when they both move out is will be way too quiet..so I tolerate it all 8)

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
As silent as can be! TV is only on when someone is watching, no music, no random noise and even my Yorkie is quiet (but that's probably just because she's the world's laziest dog).

I grew up in a house with a mentally ill parent and even the slightest sound could set her off, so I guess I am used to absolute silence at home.

When we bought this house one of the best things about it was the space and the silence - we have a stream running down the one side and a sports field behind us. We only have neighbours on one side and they annoy me to no end with their noise. They have two dogs and a teenager; their dogs are always barking and their teenager always has his music on really loudly, with the bass set to rattle my windows.

Wanna hear the irony? They moved to this street because it's so quiet! :errrr:

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
I hear Spanish music all the time. I usually don't mind it and actually love lining in a diverse neighborhood. Sometimes I hear young college students play guitar. However, the noise bothers me on weekends. I don't want to stay up too late!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DD plays the piano... And we have the cat from H E double toothpick that never ever shuts up! No peace at our house. :errrr:

I do love to hear her play, the cat not so much!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I grew up on a farm so at times it could be deadly silent - so quiet you can hear your heart beat and your blood pulsing in your ears. As a tinitus sufferer I was NOT a fan! Of course there are all the usual farm sounds too, lambs bleating, chooks, dogs barking, cows etc and my sisters squabbling...:lol: Now as an adult strangely I long for peace and quiet - no TV, no music, no traffic. Favourite thing is to sit & read a good book in silence. :love:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VERY noisy. DH and I have two toddlers (ages 3.5 and 1.5), two cats, and we're about to add two more babies into the mix. We will soon have four kids under four! It's not for the faint of heart, that's for sure.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to add that due to my dislike of a loud noisy environment, my kids practice Piano on a Yamaha Clavinova (with a headset) and Electronic Drum set (with a headset). Both instruments have volume control, so if they are playing for me without wearing their headset, I can even turn the volume down!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband and I have the same problem he hates to come home to and empty house or a quiet house. He is someone that likes noise and prefers to be around people. I on the other had grew up as an only child, I prefer no TV, lots of silence and generally prefer my own company. We have a 6 year old son who constantly sings a little tune to himself and lots of dogs so generally we have some noise, sometimes a lot sometimes a little :lol:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1404171359|3704083 said:
VERY noisy. DH and I have two toddlers (ages 3.5 and 1.5), two cats, and we're about to add two more babies into the mix. We will soon have four kids under four! It's not for the faint of heart, that's for sure.

Sorry for the threadjack - Laila, there are twins on the way?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry you are going bonkers with all the noise, Kenny. I am glad you can escape with your laptop.

Dee Jay, I hate to hear the noise at your new place is getting to you. I think once noise starts to bother you then you notice it more.

I grew up in a noisy, busy house and I always enjoyed retreating to my room for a quieter place to read and I am still like that now.

DH and I have no kids or pets so our house but DH always turns on the TV or music and plays it very loud. But since i great up in a noisy household I am actually quite good at blocking out TV and music but if someone is talking I can't concentrate on what I am doing at all. When DH is out of town I don't turn on the TV until I am done with dinner and dishes. On weekends if DH is off playing golf I never turn on the TV and just enjoy the silence.

We moved about a year and a half ago and so far we are the only house on our block and I have loved how quiet it is here. Sadly they are building a house across the street and up the street so I'll have neighbors soon. ;(

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Home at last.
Peace and quiet!

AHHHHHHH!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Pure insanity here! Both of my sons blast music when they're home, three large dogs who bark & howl at the drop of a hat & we're in the direct flight path of O'Hare airport. We had all new windows and doors installed in February as part of the O'Hare Noise Commission soundproofing program, but can still hear the planes load and clear. Our neighbors are quite loud too.

I would move to the country in a heartbeat if we could. I love what little quiet time I get.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1404175329|3704124 said:

Yes, MGR! Due in early November, a boy and a girl. It's gonna be a little crazy!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1404184647|3704203 said:

Yes, MGR! Due in early November, a boy and a girl. It's gonna be a little crazy!

Well, I missed this! Congrats - a boy and a girl - that's just fabulous! I imagine the noise in your house will certainly increase but in such a lovely way!

My house is quiet - just the two of us now and our new pup. My kids provided enough noise though when growing up but they weren't the worst of the worst. Noise can get on my nerves quickly I hate to admit! I never have a tv or radio going just for background noise. I can't stand to hear the vacuum unless I'm the one running it. I like music and sometimes like it loud but only if I'm actually listening to it. Random noise just feels like water torture to me!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I have two adult kids in and out, a dog and a cat and it's quiet. My dog only "speaks" when he wants out or it's time to eat (or if the cat takes a swipe at her). My son and I are introverts and happy to sit in silence or play games or read. My dd is an introvert who once stormed into my room and said she had enough of our quiet and if we couldn't talk more, she was going to go visit noisier people.

Pet peeve, I have a co-worker with a BAD radio. My bad I mean scratchy AM sound. She comes in and turns it on rather loudly and leaves. AGHHHHHHH. I keep meaning to say something, but to this point have erred to caution and shut my office door. I like music on good speakers but find tinny sound annoying to the extreme. It's a quirk.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1404184647|3704203 said:

Congratulations! Wow, 4 under 4! I'm a twin and it's a very special relationship. My co-workers has two sets of twins :o

My house can get very loud; I have kids who are 4 and 6 and they can get quite rambunctious with lots of giggling, squealing, shouting, crying, etc.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1404181997|3704180 said:
Home at last.
Peace and quiet!

AHHHHHHH!

Kenny, You sound like my DH when we come home from my brothers home. Our home is quite. I wish it was noisy more often

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ours is quiet when it's just my two kids. They talk and play video games, but neither are big on TV watching, so usually it's video games or they're reading. When they have friends over, there is more talking/noise, but I'm fine with that because it's only for a coulple of hours.

When we've had family stay with us, it's been unbarably loud and I've had to ask everyone to quiet down...plus, *adults* throwing stuff in the house and yelling. This really stresses me out because I tend to be over stimulated by loud noises.

I have a couple of meditation blu rays that I started putting in when my kids have friends over...this provide nice soft/gentle background sounds.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
moneymeister|1404221628|3704419 said:
My son and I are introverts and happy to sit in silence or play games or read. My dd is an introvert who once stormed into my room and said she had enough of our quiet and if we couldn't talk more, she was going to go visit noisier people.

I think you mean your dd is an extrovert, but I love it. :lol:

I really think it is an introvert/extrovert thing.
We intros get our batteries drained by being around people and charged by being alone, and extros just the opposite.

I think the family/home you are raised in is less of a factor in noise preference than where you fall on the extro/intro polarity part of your personality.
My SO has one brother, raised in the same home, but is as introverted as I.

My SO's an extrovert and he thinks the same thing your dd does, though he's never articulated in that humorous way.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1404229963|3704512 said:
kenny|1404181997|3704180 said:
Home at last.
Peace and quiet!

AHHHHHHH!

Kenny, You sound like my DH when we come home from my brothers home. Our home is quite. I wish it was noisy more often

I'll send over my in-laws. :errrr:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results