Votes: 3 11.1%
  • MRB

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • AVC

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
As some of you know i am planning for my daughters 21st birthday earrings. They are only 3.5yr and 11mo!!!!
I figure that i am young enough now to squirrel away them for their future.

I have always been drawn to OEC's for their flower patterning and broader flashes and the romanticism of 'antique' cut, than the MRB splintery flashes. If there are no OEC's then i would consider AVR. I have seen AVC, and the maltese cross is not a favourite of mine, so they are further down the list. However, at the 0.5ctw size, the cross may not be that obvious.

An online search tells me that most online vendors here have match pairs around >0.6ctw of all the cuts that i mentioned above.

Hopefully, i will get some experienced PSers who may have seen both in person to comment, though i know that at this small size, it may not make a difference on seeing them personally or not. I didn't have a poll in the other thread that i started, so i thought i would do one now.

PSers- which would give the best light show.

VOTE away!!!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Greg! I went with MRB - I think at that size you really won't see the facet pattern of the old cuts as much - I love old cuts, I own 2, but for some reason for diamond studs I just prefer the sparkle of round brilliants, I just think they look so clean and classic and are just a safer choice, since you really don't know what your girls will prefer at that age. I'm just thinking of my daughter, and I think she would rather have round brilliants. I'm rambling, sorry!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Hi Junebug17,

THanks for chiming in. I do appreciate your thoughts on this.

I think that is where i am leaning towards- MRB, even though i would like to own an AVR, vicariously through my daughters, of course..... I have asked GOG for their opinion given that they have those cuts on hand.

love affair diamonds has a parcel of OEC in my size that i am looking atfor my girls. Hoping to get more info on that soon.

oh the joys of decision making.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1404093227|3703516 said:
As some of you know i am planning for my daughters 21st birthday earrings. They are only 3.5yr and 11mo!!!!
I figure that i am young enough now to squirrel away them for their future.

I have always been drawn to OEC's for their flower patterning and broader flashes and the romanticism of 'antique' cut, than the MRB splintery flashes. If there are no OEC's then i would consider AVR. I have seen AVC, and the maltese cross is not a favourite of mine, so they are further down the list. However, at the 0.5ctw size, the cross may not be that obvious.

VOTE away!!!!
Greg, you have plenty of time to wait for the right OEC's to come along.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Hi DF :wavey:

Waiting is not my strong suit!!
I just wonder that given that they are the size that they are 0.5tcw, would the flashes be any different between the OEC/AVR and MRB or AVC???

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
At that size, MRB should look brighter. I love old cuts but their flashes are more subtle, and they need to be larger to be appreciated.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1404106355|3703601 said:
Hi DF :wavey:

Waiting is not my strong suit!!
I just wonder that given that they are the size that they are 0.5tcw, would the flashes be any different between the OEC/AVR and MRB or AVC???
I bought both daughters a pair of .50ctw ACA. They do have Ex sparkles for its size.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've always been drawn to OEC's. So do those. I highly doubt you'll regret it. :wavey:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I voted MRB. I'm a huge step cut lover and never considered round diamonds of either type ,MRB/OEC, for my jewelry wardrobe a couple of years ago. After researching on here when I decided I needed studs I went for MRBs. And now I'm in love with them!
I think the beautiful sparkle shows up wonderfully in MRBs.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for MRB. I think if you get some super ideal cut diamonds they would be beautiful.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I voted OEC because I love OEC's and also like uniformity in my jewelry, so I want some OEC's to replace my MRB studs. Its really not necessary, I know, and absolutely know one will know the difference. I just like OEC's a lot, and want a little 'suite' of OEC's.

kalomeli

Shiny_Rock
I have a pair of baby MRB studs that I love but I ended up voting for OECs. I'm 25 and I love the idea of wearing a something from the time before computers and smart phones.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tough decision but I don't think you can go wrong with either. OEC's for their uniqueness and history and classic old time charm and beauty or MRB's for their timeless sparkle and brightness. Personally I would go for the OEC's but I already have MRB studs. Wish I could trade them though because it's OEC all the way for me. Love love love their chunky facets and charm! Good luck with this fun decision and project!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I voted for MRBs primarily because, like junebug mentioned, I don't think the facet pattern in an OEC will be as obvious in a 25 point-ish stone. (As an aside, if they WERE visible, I'd also be hesitant to make earrings with OECs, because I would have them out of my ears all.the.time. to look at the beautiful facet patterns and risk losing them!)

If you DO decide to go with antiques, though, I'd encourage you to get OECs over AVC or AVRs. I love Jon's beautiful AV collection with all my heart, but like kalomeli said, having a true antique would be extra special, especially upon finding out you saved them all this time.

So, that's my two cents! I've said it before and I'll say it again...your daughters are very very very lucky indeed!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My vote is for MRB...that is unless you can score a pair of OEC stones for a really good price.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At that size, mrb's. As much as I love OECs/AVR's, I'd want them in larger stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results