shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this Ceylon Vintage Sapphire Ring

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
2.56ct CEYLON BLUE SAPPHIRE & DIAMOND PLATINUM RING
It comes with GIA report states it was heated.

The followings are seller's photos
blue_certificate.jpg

bluestone2.jpg

bluestone1.jpg

I just received it today while I like the setting very much, but not sure the saturation and the shade of blue is different that the photos from the seller, it lighter that any sapphire I have seen. So for a little less than $1800, do you think it is worth the price?

ring_on_paper.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you okay with the large window? You can see it easily in the GIA lab report photograph. Have you tried viewing the ring under different types of lighting?

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1403896466|3702265 said:
Are you okay with the large window? You can see it easily in the GIA lab report photograph.
Thanks. I was wondering about that. but I don't know how bad it is until I got the ring. I am glad to you point out.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah the window seems pretty bad. Are those the only pics provided or is there a head on shot? I would assume it's bad if they wouldn't post a strait on shot

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1403897244|3702273 said:
Yeah the window seems pretty bad. Are those the only pics provided or is there a head on shot? I would assume it's bad if they wouldn't post a strait on shot

It is bad as I look at right now.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It depends on whether you like it enough to live with the window. You don't sound competely sold -- in which case, if you can return it & keep looking, you might be happier. If you're not nuts about it now, you'll be less so after wearing it for a while. ;(

--- Laurie

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
The color is very nice if you don't mind the window. I don't know how " vintage" it really is though. It could just be like a decade old. Know what I mean?

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
JewelFreak|1403900173|3702318 said:
It depends on whether you like it enough to live with the window. You don't sound competely sold -- in which case, if you can return it & keep looking, you might be happier. If you're not nuts about it now, you'll be less so after wearing it for a while. ;(

--- Laurie

I took some picture and from viewing the photos, I am not sure right now. S

20140628-img_5482.jpg

the one on the right side is a tanzinite ring.

20140628-img_5489.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
The Tanzanite is 5,5 mm x 5,5 mmm? Or larger?

Maybe it is easier to find a cushion sapphire for the money you paid for the ring - I think the vendor used a dino-lite with LED - blue stones look better then real. The windowed sapphire will never look as good as the tanzanite in this ring...

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
Marlow|1404069958|3703339 said:
The Tanzanite is 5,5 mm x 5,5 mmm? Or larger?

Maybe it is easier to find a cushion sapphire for the money you paid for the ring - I think the vendor used a dino-lite with LED - blue stones look better then real. The windowed sapphire will never look as good as the tanzanite in this ring...

Thanks Marlow,
The tanzinate is 7x7 mm。I have never seen a windowed stone before, largely because I never pay attention to a cut.

I would like to know the price range to produce a setting like the Le vian ring?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
You can go to a website like ID Jewelery and find the price of a similar setting.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
7x7 mm....

Well - I have no problem with a wmall window or a window like your sapphire if the stone is deep royal blue for example.

I owe a colorless garnet - 1,76 ct loupeclean - round with the same window like your stone - this material is extremely rare so recutting
is a no go - but the window is so prominent - it would look terrible if you set it.

But 7x7 mm sapphire for 1800$ - a heated stone should be no problem.

Tanzanite has a density 3,20-3,50 - sapphire is 4,0. How much does your Tanzanite weight?

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
Marlow|1404075011|3703385 said:
7x7 mm....

Well - I have no problem with a wmall window or a window like your sapphire if the stone is deep royal blue for example.

I owe a colorless garnet - 1,76 ct loupeclean - round with the same window like your stone - this material is extremely rare so recutting
is a no go - but the window is so prominent - it would look terrible if you set it.

But 7x7 mm sapphire for 1800$ - a heated stone should be no problem.

Tanzanite has a density 3,20-3,50 - sapphire is 4,0. How much does your Tanzanite weight?

The weight of the tanzinite is 1 5/8 ct.
When you said that you don't mind a small window if the color is deep royal blue, why? because deep royal blue is hard to find or because the color is dark so a window won't get noticed?
Thanks.

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
pregcurious|1404073436|3703375 said:
You can go to a website like ID Jewelery and find the price of a similar setting.

Thanks, I look at some web site, a similar setting probably costs more than the whole ring I got. unless I go to ebay.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
So if your tanzanite is 1,58 ct a sapphire would be around 1,90 ct.

I think if you have gem with a light color like a Merelani mint or a bit deeper like your sapphire the window well be a bigger problem then with a deeper colored stone . You will see a deep blue and enough fire - a pale stone - you see your finger!

Try to find a nice cushion - a spinel or a blue sapphire and replace the tanzanite or buy another tanzanite - there is enough tanzanite in the market at the moment.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results