shape
carat
color
clarity

Here's a fun conundrum for you - I'd love your opinions!

What shape would you pick for a spess?

• Oval

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Round

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild|1403662108|3700520 said:
Lol. Every time I see this thread title, I want it to say "corundum" instead of "conundrum". I can't help.

Ha! Same.

If both stones were equal in quality I think I'd go for oval but only if there was no bowtie. Ovals are very elegant to my eyes. Tough choice.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thank you derbygal:)

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1403887598|3702164 said:
FrekeChild|1403662108|3700520 said:
Lol. Every time I see this thread title, I want it to say "corundum" instead of "conundrum". I can't help.

Ha! Same.

If both stones were equal in quality I think I'd go for oval but only if there was no bowtie. Ovals are very elegant to my eyes. Tough choice.

I agree - they are a very elegant shape! I went round this time, but one of these days…CSes are so addictive!

RedSpinel

Shiny_Rock
I own a 2.78ct oval mandarin Spessartite and a 2ct round darker orange spessartite, but I would have preferred my mandarin to have been a Portuguese round cut when I bought it. I think a well cut round is more brilliant than most ovals(IMO). While we are on the subject of garnets and cutting styles, I wish my 1.8ct Tsavorite was a round, instead of heart shaped(sigh), but it was a nice stone with a good price and I felt I couldnt pass it up at the time, even though its not exactly my favorite shape....

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
RedSpinel|1403977768|3702887 said:
I own a 2.78ct oval mandarin Spessartite and a 2ct round darker orange spessartite, but I would have preferred my mandarin to have been a Portuguese round cut when I bought it. I think a well cut round is more brilliant than most ovals(IMO). While we are on the subject of garnets and cutting styles, I wish my 1.8ct Tsavorite was a round, instead of heart shaped(sigh), but it was a nice stone with a good price and I felt I couldnt pass it up at the time, even though its not exactly my favorite shape....

Yeah, there is something about the rounds, and a well-cut Portuguese round is amazing! I really think that it is a rarity for an elongated shape to be able to compete with a round in terms of brightness. Given that this will be a bright orange specs, I went for the round because I really like the way that they light up and look like little glowballs. The only oval I have is a red garnet that I received probably 15-20 years ago, and I haven't picked one out since, but they are an elegant shape - one of these days, I'm sure that I will get one, but given the choice for this particular project, round was the goal :)

Your tsav sounds fantastic - heart shaped or not - it's hard to find them in larger sizes! I couldn't pull off wearing the shape, but there are a few heart shaped mints that are set in gorgeous rings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results