shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do with a 17mm approx. white Danburite?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am deliberating whether to have it cut as a round for a pendant, or have it cut as a square step cut and have my own Krupp look-alike. :naughty:

The latter feels like a betrayal to my beloved EC. However, since the chance of ever owning a Krupp size diamond is zilch, I am leaning towards the ring idea, as I shan't be wearing both at the same time.

This will the third stone on the current list to be cut by Jeff White for me, and the work on the first stone has not even started as I am paying for it in instalments, so plenty of time to decide.

What would you do?

DK :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What does Jeff suggest? The problem with step cuts in coloured stones is the lower RI and lower level of dispersion which can make white stones look rather uninspiring. Secondly, danburite has poor cleavage, so that's another consideration.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He has a step cut Danburite in his sold gemstone gallery for "Other Gems" (second row, first stone from the left in the link below), and it is gorgeous, therefore, I know it had been done in the past.

http://www.whitesgems.com/othergemsgallery.html

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you planning to emulate the Krupp cut design or just a step cut? I ask because the facet design is different and I took it as you wanted an exact Krupp cut design. In the gallery, although it is a step cut, he used a facet design suitable for a coloured stone, so that it is still sparkly and lively (as much as a step cut white CS can be). I've also noticed that with very light toned or almost colourless step cut CS, the scintillation is extremely strong (stronger than a diamond) so the black and white contrast seem much starker. These are factors that I do not know whether you mind or don't mind. I don't think an exact Krupp design for a CS will look as nice. I'm probably misunderstanding what you want though. :read:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will be a look-alike with a generic step cut suited to this type of stone, not an exact copy. The more I see his and Gene's step cuts, the more I lust after one.

Thanks Chrono for your advice.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1403698185|3700748 said:
It will be a look-alike with a generic step cut suited to this type of stone, not an exact copy. The more I see his and Gene's step cuts, the more I lust after one.

Oh, I understand you now. In this case, I have no concerns about the danburite being a step cut. The only concern left is the large size being a bigger risk factor to have it knocked and break at the cleavage plane as a ring stone. :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1403698404|3700751 said:
dk168|1403698185|3700748 said:

Oh, I understand you now. In this case, I have no concerns about the danburite being a step cut. The only concern left is the large size being a bigger risk factor to have it knocked and break at the cleavage plane as a ring stone. :))

It will be bezel-set, as I do not like prongs, so it is more like Krupp-inspired and not even a look-alike! :D

Next decision will be ring design, whether to have a plain or paved shank, or side stones and type of side stones etc...

Liking the idea of a partially paved shank at present.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
His step-cut Danburite in the gallery is certainly stunning. You may not like this idea but I'll throw it out -- because of the cleavage issues & the risk of knocking a ring that size on something, what about having it step cut for a pendant? It would be a total knockout right at the base of your throat, an in-your-face jewel. Like wearing the Krupp right there.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1403699449|3700759 said:
His step-cut Danburite in the gallery is certainly stunning. You may not like this idea but I'll throw it out -- because of the cleavage issues & the risk of knocking a ring that size on something, what about having it step cut for a pendant? It would be a total knockout right at the base of your throat, an in-your-face jewel. Like wearing the Krupp right there.

I thought about that, however, I am not too keen on having a square step cut pendent, even at 45 deg angle. :(

Not keen on having step cuts except for rings. Strange I know. :D

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
dk168|1403721664|3700957 said:
JewelFreak|1403699449|3700759 said:

I thought about that, however, I am not too keen on having a square step cut pendent, even at 45 deg angle. :(

Not keen on having step cuts except for rings. Strange I know. :D

At 17mm, however it's cut, I would put as a pendant - you'll get way more wear out of it, and it would be too large to not knock around often as a ring…so, you would be very limited in the times that you could wear it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know the approximate final depth of the stone? With it being a step cut, it will need to be much deeper than a round, so I'm expecting it to be at least 12 mm in depth if it is 17 x 17 mm. Are you all right with a stone sitting 13 mm (once set) high above the finger?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
endless_summer,

If it is a ring, it will only be an occasional ring. A pendant will definitely get more opportunities to be worn.

Chrono,

The depth is a concern, however, I do wear Tahitian or South Sea pearl rings from time to time, and they sit quite high on the finger.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results