shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on Vintage Sapphire Ring

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all - I'm interested in buying a CS halo ring and have been focusing on blue stones, since I wear a lot of blue and love the color. Today as I was procrastinating, I stumbled on this vintage sapphire ring at Lang's Antiques. It's really speaking to me and I'm very tempted to buy it but I wanted to get some objective opinions. I know that some are not a fan of the Diana/Kate ring, but for some reason I've grown to really like it and this reminds me of a smaller version of it. I realize the sapphire is going to be pretty dark, darker than the pics I'll bet- but I really like the style of the ring and the fact it's a vintage piece. I know Lang's is considered pricey, but the price doesn't seem too bad to me.

Thank you in advance, I welcome any thoughts/opinions you have!

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/30-1-5540

1392247466_30_1_5540__1_of_5__hires.jpg

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
I happen to like this ring a lot. It's a very common design but I find it classic. As I think you already know its a pricey piece, but Lang is known to do a small discount (5-10%).

Would it help to see a couple more sapphire rings? I have one 1920's ring that might give you some ideas? It was not expensive and might give you a sense as to what else you might be able to get for your money if you continued to look.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your reply Rand - you make a good point, I haven't been looking for that long - for some reason this ring just really appeals to me. I keep picturing it with my vintage eternity band lol. The dark color concerns me though, and I wonder about finger coverage. I've been making paper cut-outs! Cooler heads should prevail I guess. I would love to see your ring.

Would love to hear others' thoughts!

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
Personally I would keep looking - that sapphire will most likely be very, very, very dark (dark dark, in the hand shot it's such a dark navy it's almost black).

Would you consider finding a sapphire and setting separately? That way you could pick a stone and then hunt for a vintage setting (the hunt will probably be easier if you select a close-to-calibrated size stone).

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
junebug17|1403719531|3700941 said:
Thanks for your reply Rand - you make a good point, I haven't been looking for that long - for some reason this ring just really appeals to me. I keep picturing it with my vintage eternity band lol. The dark color concerns me though, and I wonder about finger coverage. I've been making paper cut-outs! Cooler heads should prevail I guess. I would love to see your ring.

Would love to hear others' thoughts!

Sapphires are my favorite gemstone and I prefer the hue of a Ceylon. The three stone is a 1940's setting, and originally held an emerald. The cushion shaped sapphire is from the late 1920's. All of these are close in color, but the cushion is slightly darker (its my favorite of the two). These were not expensive pieces. In fact, one of these was slightly more (not by much) than the Lang ring.
I'm currently trying to find a lavender/lilac toned sapphire.

Thank you for letting me share-- I hope seeing what else you can do is helpful as you search!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VirginiaZee|1403719912|3700945 said:
Personally I would keep looking - that sapphire will most likely be very, very, very dark (dark dark, in the hand shot it's such a dark navy it's almost black).

Would you consider finding a sapphire and setting separately? That way you could pick a stone and then hunt for a vintage setting (the hunt will probably be easier if you select a close-to-calibrated size stone).

Thanks Virginia - yes, I see what you're saying about the color ;( Why couldn't someone have chosen a lighter stone back in 1950? I'm not quite ready to totally scratch this off the list but…yeah.

I certainly could look into getting the stone and setting separately - doing jewelry projects doesn't come naturally to me and I think I'd probably get stressed out by the process - but something to consider, thanks!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RandG, your sapphire pieces are amazing! Such beautiful finds! Thank you for the inspiration!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I think its very pretty, but also a little expensive and that the sapphire will likely be quite dark. I think you can find a brighter shade of a royal blue color for a better price.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, considering I've been gathering quotes for a setting that is relatively similar in style, and size, I'd vote for getting this one. Custom quotes for 8 3mm single cuts have all been $2k+.

If the stone is too dark, get one cut to replace it down the line.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is pretty and the price is fairly decent. Definitely do ask for a discount. The setting alone is at least 1500. I have been getting quotes for smaller halos in 14-18K gold in the $1500-$2000 range. Also love that it is vintage.

Regarding the colour, darker sapphires were more trendy back in the day. But it is not as dark and black like the older Australian sapphires. I myself prefer darker sapphires to lighter Ceylon coloured ones. This looks like a darker Royal blue and I think it may actually be quite pretty. The only negative is that you don't know much about the sapphire, but for smalelr ct sapphires I am not sure how important it would be to have a cert. I know many reputable vendors don't bother getting certs for anything under 1.5ct.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I think I agree with Freke. It's a nice ring. The stone will be really dark, if you can live with that. I don't think the price is outrageous, especially if you can wangle a small discount. As Freke says, if you get to dislike the sapphire, you can replace it later & then have a real knockout ring.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Regarding the colour, darker sapphires were more trendy back in the day. But it is not as dark and black like the older Australian sapphires. I myself prefer darker sapphires to lighter Ceylon coloured ones. This looks like a darker Royal blue and I think it may actually be quite pretty. The only negative is that you don't know much about the sapphire, but for smalelr ct sapphires I am not sure how important it would be to have a cert. I know many reputable vendors don't bother getting certs for anything under 1.5ct.

---------

It is a stone from 1920 - so untreated/unheated or traditional heat - no diffusion or Geuda ( http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geuda )

Fascinating these older gem from 1920-50 - like them very much! Would be nice if you post it if you want to replace the stone.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much everyone! Really nice of you to take the time to comment.

Indylady, it does look dark - I actually don't mind darker sapphires but I would definitely prefer one that doesn't look black.

Kama, Freke, and Laurie - my gut feeling when I first saw the ring was that the price wasn't that bad - not a deal by any means, but it's a price I don't mind paying if I really love the ring. And a slight discount would help! Interesting observation about darker sapphires being popular in years past, that seems to be true. And yes, changing the stone is a good suggestion and a possibility.

Marlow, if the sapphire was so dark it looked black and didn't give off any blue at all, I might consider switching it out. But part of the piece's charm is its place in history, so I would really prefer not to change it if possible. And I like the contast of the diamonds with the darker stone too.

I took a closer look at the ring, and it looks like it needs some prong work ugh! Also still wondering about the size - it looks smaller in the pic than the measurements would indicate. I should have just bought it on impulse instead of giving myself time to think about it! Jk!

Thanks again, I'm excited about owning a colored stone ring, and if it's not this one, there is definitely one in my future!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wanted to mention something here, but Ceylon is a location, not a color. It's Sri Lanka. And sapphires from Sri Lanka can essentially be any color.

There are, however, certain locations where the mines might produce sapphires that share certain characteristics or produce more of one color than others, for instance, Montana, where the sapphires tend to have more gray and green.

Just an FYI.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope I calculated the size and converted it correctly. :tongue:
Sapphire = 6.55 x 5.35 x 3.40 mm
Ring = 11.11 x 9.5 mm

You can draw the shape on a piece of paper, cut it out and "wear" it to see the finger coverage on you.

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
There are no rules with jewelry. Or there should be none.

I have a Princess Diana blue sapphire diamond halo ring. My sapphire is very dark, but I fell in love with it at first sight. It's from a common jewelry store.

Get what you like and wear it proudly. I love this style of rings!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks chrono! - I think your calculations match up fairly well with what's stated on the website, in which case I think it would look pretty substantial on my finger - I think I just might pull the trigger on this one.

Txgreeneyes, very well said! I had an instant attraction to this ring, and that counts for a lot. I really love this style too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results