shape
carat
color
clarity

Chrysoberyl pics

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
Picked this from the local jeweler - looked like it had been there a *long* time. The color is more green in person, also this one exhibits some good dispersion in the right light? Plenty of rainbow sparkles - it held it's own in a case near diamonds! Price was retail for a 1.11ct chryso, but I sure didn't mind for that color. This is why I can't save up enough to get Jerry working on that rough... :devil: Besides being a terrible person, how'd I do?

sany0002_4.jpg

sany0004_4.jpg

sany0005_1.jpg

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
Two more, last one shows some of those fireworks. I don't feel qualified to grade a stone, but it's *way* past eye clean...

sany0003_5.jpg

sany0001_5.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
good dispersion. ......
rainbow sparkles.....

could be a sphene too. Do you see the pavillion facet doubled looking through the table facet???

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
I've been thinking exactly the same thing, wanted opinions... I dont *think* I see the pavilion doubled, but am unsure. Having never seen a sphene in person before doesn't help either. The tag at the store said only "Beryl", to make matters murkier. When questioned, the owner said "I call this stone Green Beryl." I suppose a magnifying glass would help? If it turns out to be a sphene I will need to return it, as I planned on setting it into a ring someday.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Do you see a lot of red flashes? This is a sign it could be a sphene.

Sphene often looks a bit "blurry" ( hope the right word - in german "verwaschen"). The doubling of the pavillion facets viewing with a loupe is VERY strong.

Return the stone.... depends on the price. Sphene is beautiful - to soft for ring but I love it.

If it is a chrysoberyl the color is very nice!!!

Other possiblities: Zircon or Sphalerite ( rare and soft - don't think so)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well some people on this forum have set sphene with success, and enjoy wearing them. If you plan on always wearing it and you're hard on your rings, then I wouldn't

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Looks pretty.

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice Marlow. Under a loupe the doubling was very apparent, so I've taken it back. The owner at first insisted it was a beryl, and when that didn't work began insisting that a sphene would be fine for a daily-wear bezel set man's ring. What a snake! It was super-lovely, but not what I was looking for. The hunt for a nice cushion chryso continues...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My chryso has fire. Mostly green and and a bit of orange. Not an entire rainbow.

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
It had lots of red sparkle as well, so seems obvious now (after checking with you wonderful people). I'm still pretty steamed over the *gall* of that jeweler... :angryfire:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
That is unfortunate. I don't think it's a beryl either. Yellow beryl, or heliodor, has a low refractive index (like all beryl including emerald and aquamarine) and will not sparkle the way you are describing.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Was it expensive? Course it is a very nice gem!

The color is typical for Sphene from Madagascar. A Chrysoberyl in this color would be very desirable - a mix of yellow with green.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrysoberyl is often confused as sphene. I've seen it happen online too. I don't know why when the double refraction and higher fire for sphene is so much more apparent. I could rather see yellow zircon being a more confused substitute for sphene.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a pity, that colour is fantastic for a chrysoberyl but I'm glad the mystery is cleared and you got your refund. There's no way it could have been a beryl. :rolleyes:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results