shape
carat
color
clarity

Uncertified Diamonds From Good Old Gold?

gbunek

Rough_Rock
Greetings everyone,

First time posting and first time buyer but I've been doing a lot of research. I'm in the market for an OEC to set in an antique replica from Leight Jay Nacht. I've been looking at Old World Diamonds and Good Old Gold, and have been corresponding with Dave from GOG about a particular diamond which is just what I'm looking for. The problem is, the diamond is not lab certified. I know some people here are very opposed to buying uncertified diamonds, but at the same time GOG has a very good rapport with pricescope. Has anyone else here purchased uncertified diamonds from GOG or a similar business? Was it a good experience? Did you get it graded later? The diamond is just what I'm looking for but I don't want to make a obvious mistake.

Here's some video of it for reference sake, 1.02 ct, SI1, M OEC :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yezVy35QdKk&feature=youtu.be

Thanks, for any advice in advance.

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
I think the certification is important to protect yourself and ensure you are getting what you pay for. Kind of in the spirit of "trust but verify". Would it be possible to buy the diamond with the (written) guarantee that you will get it graded (at your cost) and if it doesn't meet some agreed upon standards you will get a full refund of both the diamond and the cert? From the video it looks quite pretty, with a lovely facet pattern - I can see why you like it so much!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are worried about it pay more money and either get GOG to get it certified for you or get them to send it to Dave Atlas to be appraised for you.

If you decide you don't want it for whatever reason email Grace;

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/

Or Erica;

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/

Both just came back from Vegas with a heap of new things.

gbunek

Rough_Rock
I'll see if I can work out an agreement to get a lab report done on the diamond from GOG, even if it is a bit extra. I've looked at Grace and Erica's stuff several times but they never seem to have what I'm looking for in the right price range. Thanks again.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck! It looks beautiful- :appl:

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
gbunek|1403192176|3696513 said:
Greetings everyone,

First time posting and first time buyer but I've been doing a lot of research. I'm in the market for an OEC to set in an antique replica from Leight Jay Nacht. I've been looking at Old World Diamonds and Good Old Gold, and have been corresponding with Dave from GOG about a particular diamond which is just what I'm looking for. The problem is, the diamond is not lab certified. I know some people here are very opposed to buying uncertified diamonds, but at the same time GOG has a very good rapport with pricescope. Has anyone else here purchased uncertified diamonds from GOG or a similar business? Was it a good experience? Did you get it graded later? The diamond is just what I'm looking for but I don't want to make a obvious mistake.

Here's some video of it for reference sake, 1.02 ct, SI1, M OEC :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yezVy35QdKk&feature=youtu.be

Thanks, for any advice in advance.

I will start by saying, in my opinion, you should get the stone GIA certified, always. Even EGL NY, would be okay for me on this one because of the color and size of the stone. Should you ever go to upgrade and sell, you will need the cert. Plus, in this case, it will give you peace of mind. However, if it were me buying this stone (which has incredible flash, BTW) AND, I was getting a really good deal, I would not worry about it, today. When you're buying an old cut, in this spec range (and I've done it many times) to some extent you're buying because you love the stone and you know what you're getting. Whether it comes in as an M or N, valuation will be impacted only slightly. Now, if it were being sold as an old cut H VS stone, then its a different story. I don't know what you're paying for it, but be careful not to overpay as there is a definitive price range for this stone in the 1 carat range. Make sure you do your due diligence on pricing. I'm not sure about it being an M, but I do believe its SI1 or better (maybe VS).

I have to tell you, that is a beautiful stone with a fantastic facet pattern. If I found that stone and the price was right, I'd be all over it. Good luck and congratulations.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results