shape
carat
color
clarity

Vatche Caroline or Vatche U113 for re-set?

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Ok so a little history. In 2012 I upgraded from a .90 F SI2 RB to a 1.41 I VS1 PR (couldn't stand it). Upgraded again to my current 1.8 I VS1. All GIA. My old setting was platinum channel set princess cut. I used to love it until I upgraded, then I ended up hating it. When they switched out the head it just ended up looking weird. So I sold it and put my stone in a 14k WG 6 prong solitaire and bought a 2.11 ct eternity to go with it. Classic Tiffany look is what I was going for. Ok so my eternity band is destroying the prongs on my ering, and can't find a stacking combo or spacer that works. My spacers that are 1.5mm or thinner don't work because the eternity still gets to the prongs. My thicker spacers are just too thick for my finger. Anyway now I am trying to figure out what will work for a new setting? I notice that the head on the Vatche U113 sits up higher than the one I have now. I wonder if this would work if I wore a thin spacer? I've also considered a halo, but I'm not sure how that would look with a 1.8. The Vatche Caroline is also really making my heart skip a beat. I like love it. I'll post a profile shot of my rings for reference. Any ideas on possible settings would be great. For reference my ring size is 5.75-6 TIA

_19365.jpg

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need input from DS since she knows these styles well--hopefully she'll chime in soon!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always prefer 6 prongs over 4, so I'd pick the U113. If you wear a thin spacer, it should be fine.

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Do you think it sits up higher than the one I have now? See how low the prongs sit?

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both beautiful! I guess it depends on what your personal preference is, 4 prong or 6. I favor the Caroline!! :appl:

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
My personal preference is 6 but at this point I just want a setting that is going to work with a super thin spacer. For some reason the one I have now does not work with thin spacers. Probably because the prongs sit so darn low.

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
DS where are you :wavey:

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Candygrl|1403299129|3697504 said:
My personal preference is 6 but at this point I just want a setting that is going to work with a super thin spacer. For some reason the one I have now does not work with thin spacers. Probably because the prongs sit so darn low.

I prefer the Vatche U113 over Vatche Caroline, because I like the sideview and 6 prongs. The U113 is a solid, luxurious, and comfortable setting. I love it very much, and highly recommend it.

To help you decide, I am attaching a side-view photo of my 4-ring stack. In real life, I do not wear all four rings together. At most, I wear three of them together. The spacer ring is either the 2-mm band or the Honey band. This photo is only for showing you how high the Vatche U113 is relative to other rings. Hope it helps.

My spacer rings, both the 2-mm band and Honey band are 2-mm wide. The width is enough protection for stacking diamond eternity rings with either my solitaire ring or my 3-stone ring. However, I am not sure your thinner 1.5-mm is enough.

If you decide to order U113, make sure you get a small size. As in the case of most solitaire rings and especially the U113 (in which the diamond sits high), the diamond will have a tendancy of turning and dropping if the ring is loose. I usually wear larger size rings (5 3/4 to 6). In this case, I had the U113 resized from 6 to 5 1/2.

vatche_solitaire_stack.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! :wavey: Mom2boys is correct..I have the U-113 and my daughter has the Caroline!

The Vatche prongs start higher than your current setting, but I still think you'll need a spacer. But a spacer should work well with the U-113. I think the Caroline sits a little lower and I would not recommend it if you have a band with diamonds that will scratch the e-ring. I might encourage you to decide on your favorite e-ring setting and maybe consider getting a new diamond band, though. I personally really love the U-113 and think it is a perfect medium height.

Here is a side view of the U-113. This was with my old 1.5 ct stone. I don't have a side view with the AVR.

Ahhh, I see Fancy Diamond posted a better picture than I have attached! I will say that I have my ring sized a quarter size larger than my size and mine doesn't spin. I think hers does because she has a gorgeous large diamond! :love:

img_4908.jpg

Passion4diamonds

Rough_Rock
I LOVE the Vatche Caroline! It's classic and has a secret diamond pave surprise around the basket which is a wonderful surprise!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, here are a couple of my daughter's Vatche Caroline which shows that the prongs start lower than the U-113. It would be only slightly better than your current one.

_19372.jpg

img_4909.jpg

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
Both are lovely. I have the Caroline and I will be happy to post pictures if you want to see a side view or something else. I only wear my Tiffany channel set band with the Caroline because I'm afraid that the prongs of my five stone band will scratch the Caroline badly.

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you thank thank you! Fancy diamond and DS! Your pictures have been sooooo helpful. The u113 is amazing :love: :love:

DS yes I might shop for a new band once I get the setting all figured out. I feel so much better ladies. Thank you again :appl:

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Sakuracherry yes please post a profile shot :naughty:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I love the Vatche U113!

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
i am partial to the U113 as it is what i have ;-) I also requested the special PS blend of alloy and after 6 months of wear the platinum is holding up extremely well with barely any scratches!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FancyDiamond|1403314695|3697667 said:
Candygrl|1403299129|3697504 said:

I prefer the Vatche U113 over Vatche Caroline, because I like the sideview and 6 prongs. The U113 is a solid, luxurious, and comfortable setting. I love it very much, and highly recommend it.

To help you decide, I am attaching a side-view photo of my 4-ring stack. In real life, I do not wear all four rings together. At most, I wear three of them together. The spacer ring is either the 2-mm band or the Honey band. This photo is only for showing you how high the Vatche U113 is relative to other rings. Hope it helps.

My spacer rings, both the 2-mm band and Honey band are 2-mm wide. The width is enough protection for stacking diamond eternity rings with either my solitaire ring or my 3-stone ring. However, I am not sure your thinner 1.5-mm is enough.

If you decide to order U113, make sure you get a small size. As in the case of most solitaire rings and especially the U113 (in which the diamond sits high), the diamond will have a tendancy of turning and dropping if the ring is loose. I usually wear larger size rings (5 3/4 to 6). In this case, I had the U113 resized from 6 to 5 1/2.

Fancy, what is the diameter of your stone??? It's gorgeous in the U-113 -- 6 prongs are my fave! Also, did you request any special height for this setting or did you leave it up to Vatche? (I know some have requested higher settings in this style...)

Sorry for the thread jack, OP!

Back to the question... I prefer 6 prongs to four. I believe it accentuates the roundness of the diamond and makes it appear larger -- not to mention the safety issue. :))

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Msop04 no worries! Actually I'm curious about the answer to your question as well :). I think I have decided on the U113 in platinum. What's the special blend again? I will work on getting it started after Christmas. We are taking the kiddos to Disneyland and I won't be doing any self serving projects during the Holiday's, but after that bring it on :naughty:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like he vatche and I am a fan of 6 prongs to make the stone look rounder and larger!

The shanks on your rings look different ,fancy andDS, with DS's looking more pinched in shortly after it leaves the head... Did you two request different shank styles or am I imagining things?

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer - I think what you are seeing is Vatche adapting the head for different size stones. They do an excellent job - I have one in yellow gold with much smaller stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Polished|1403404888|3698385 said:
Dreamer - I think what you are seeing is Vatche adapting the head for different size stones. They do an excellent job - I have one in yellow gold with much smaller stone.

I do think my shank is thinner than FD's, and I do think they make them in proportion to the head. My first stone was around 7.5-7.6mm. When I got the AVR, they replaced the head to fit the 8.4mm stone (and did a fantastic job, I might add...it looked brand new!). I am glad my shank is thin because my fingers are a little short from the knuckle down.

The two best alloy choices are 95%platinum/5%ruthenium or 90%plat/10%iridium. My setting was redone over a year ago and it has no patina whatsoever.

You don't need to specify anything else. They set the stones at a perfect height. I think a couple of people felt the need to do that originally because the Excel Tiffany setting was very squatty and they wanted the stone set higher than that. But you don't need to tell them that because Vatche just sets the stones at a good height. Too high just doesn't look right with this particular setting, IMO.

I have a crazy weekend but if I have a chance, I will take some pics so you can see the shank on mine better.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1403411935|3698420 said:
Polished|1403404888|3698385 said:

I do think my shank is thinner than FD's, and I do think they make them in proportion to the head.

This is true - my Vatche U113 has a shank that is thinner than yours DS. They make the whole ring beautifully in proportion to the diamond.

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
DS what is the mixture you chose?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This ring has the 90/10iridium but I have had a previous setting in the 95/5ruthenium and both hold up very well. i think some jewelers (such as Victor Canera, etc) prefer working in the 90/10iridium, but places like Tiffany use the 95/5ruthenium. So either is fine. When I had mine made, someone right before me successfully requested the 90/10 and I just went with that because I knew they would do it. But since then, I have heard of someone getting the other, so maybe ask for the 95/5ruthenium and see what they say.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
i have the 95 plat/5 ruthenium. My stone is much smaller and my shank and height are "perfect". I regionally asked catch to do medium height as my friend said thats what her vendor asked for and i was advised by vatche to just allow them to set it at their height and it would be high enough...and yes...its perfect!

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
DS I just have to say that your daughter's Caroline and wedding band are soooooo gorgeous! Who made the wedding band? It's to die for :love: :love:

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
msop04|1403388189|3698244 said:
Fancy, what is the diameter of your stone??? It's gorgeous in the U-113 -- 6 prongs are my fave! Also, did you request any special height for this setting or did you leave it up to Vatche? (I know some have requested higher settings in this style...)

Sorry for late response. I did not have any special requests except for pointed, claw-like prongs. Guess the metal mix is standard. Vatche knows what is best for diamond height and shank shape/width. They know what they are doing, and executed everything perfectly.

I believe the shank is supposedly knife shape (and no pinching). Mine is knife shape but with comfortable rounded edge.

Candygrl, what have you decided? I think either setting is gorgeous. You can go wrong with either one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results