shape
carat
color
clarity

Double charged by hotel through Expedia booking - help!

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
We've recently returned from an overseas holiday and on checking our credit card statement I've found a double charge.

I booked a hotel through Expedia, no problems with the stay, pay directly to the hotel on check out which we did.

I've contacted the hotel and they are claiming no responsibility, they say they received TWO booking notifications from Expedia, for different dates (the wrong one is to check in on the date we checked out) and as per their policy, charged us 100% of the rate as a 'no show'.

They have said they can't do anything, but suggest I contact Expedia for them to refund me. However, Expedia does not have a cent of my money, the hotel made both charges.

I have emailed Expedia, but will also be lodging a dispute with my bank first thing in the morning, which I have never had to do before.

Has anyone had any experience like this or difficulties with an internet booking site like Expedia? I actually believe the hotel as they have been very quick and helpful in providing information, but say they acted correctly according to what they have received so are not at fault.

:confused:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ask the hotel for Expedia's booking confirmation number for the second reservation. Check your Expedia account (just in case!) and print it out. If the hotel is scamming, they won't have a valid confirmation number. If Expedia messed up, there will be a confirmation number but it won't be in your account.

Then, send the documentation to your credit card, asking them to suspend the second charge as unauthorized.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I would ask expedia for a refund. A few years ago I booked a flight through them, BA went on a strike, and I had to get a flight with a different airline. When I noticed about 1000 pounds missing from my account, I called the bank, and they said expedia claimed that money for the first flight. I called expedia and they issued a refund.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1402926087|3694129 said:
Ask the hotel for Expedia's booking confirmation number for the second reservation. Check your Expedia account (just in case!) and print it out. If the hotel is scamming, they won't have a valid confirmation number. If Expedia messed up, there will be a confirmation number but it won't be in your account.

Then, send the documentation to your credit card, asking them to suspend the second charge as unauthorized.

This sounds exactly right to me - great advice Lady D! By following her advice, you are providing all the proof to the bank to take action - if the hotel didn't mess up. If it turns out Expedia messed up, they may be willing to make it right, but it might take months. At least if the problem is Expedia's, you will get reimbursed from the bank, and the hotel will have to go duke it out with Expedia (I mean, at that point, why would you need to be involved at all?)

Good luck!

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
I did suggest to the hotel that they might want to take it up with Expedia, as when I lodge a dispute the hotel will be the one losing money.

Thanks everyone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results