shape
carat
color
clarity

Ever lose a diamond? Where do you think it is?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I dropped one of my BGD .43ct studs in to a crack between my passenger seat and center console INSIDE of my car! This was because I took it off to put on flipping $2 COSTUME JEWELRY earrings!
I've looked for it for 2+ hours with a bright flashlight and Nothing. My car literally swallowed the earring! Seems like I have to get someone to remove the entire seat to find the stud, and who knows if that's even feasible without a ton of $$$$ that costs about the same as replacing the stud.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh. I think I'd have the seats torn apart to find the earring just on principle. I hate the idea of knowing where it is and not being able to get at it!
maddening.
I lost a ruby ring, my birthstone, on a camping trip just days after receiving it from my uncle. I was quite young and so pleased to have been given such a lovely gift I denied that the ring was too loose. I didn't want him to take the ring to size it. He was a jeweler and we were on a short visit. I imagined it would be a long time before I'd get the ring back. So, the ruby ring was lost in the woods in Northern WI somewhere.
My parents were quite disappointed with me and did not spend much time searching.
I did become more careful though. And maybe someone had a lovely surprise finding that ring.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I'd be stressed out.

I'd try putting a new bag in a small portable vacuum and take your time forcing one of these crevice nozzles into every nook and cranny.

Carefully open bag and examine contents.
This might be gross, but not as gross as what you'd have to examine if a dog ate your diamond. :knockout:

screen_shot_2014-06-16_at_10.png

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
My sister lost a mobe petal earring in the same spot. She was driving to the dealer to see if they could help her when she had to hit the brakes very hard and... TADA she heard the earring ding against some metal, and pulled over and there it was within reach!
I would call my car dealer and see what they would charge you to remove the seat? For diamonds I'd do it!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you get the seat removed keep in mind the diamond may be on/in the metal structure under the seat.
There are lubricants down there to help the seat slide forward and back, and the diamond may be stuck to the lube.

It may fall and be lost forever when the seat is being removed.
Or the employee at the dealer may see his/her chance to get a 'free' diamond.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I find a pantyhose leg works really well on a vacuum with the attachment the other poster posted.

I lost one of the diamond studs my husband gifted me when we were dating. I suspect it's either in the filter trap in my washing machine (can't figure out how to access it), or in the trap of my shower drain. I ended up buying a replacement stone and having them both set into martinis.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A coworker lost her center stone doing laundry. Her husband found it in the dryer some time later. She had it reset into a completely different setting.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't lost any diamond but I did manage to lose and empty setting. It was in an envelope at my mothers house on the arm of the couch and when I came back from the kitchen it was gone! Most likely it got hidden away somewhere by a small child or pet and someday maybe when they move we'll find it!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine was once in the laundry basket.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I just sent an e-mail to the dealership to ask how much it would cost for them to take out my seat and re-install it after I find my earring. Unfortunately my "fancy" carseat is full of mechanical/electrical mechanisms....there is no open space under the carseat, and I can't just have any mechanic take out the seat :(

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you happen to insure your earrings? Might be easier to just get a replacement in that case :read:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1402953391|3694471 said:
Did you happen to insure your earrings? Might be easier to just get a replacement in that case :read:

Nope, not insured, they were not my "Forever" honkers. They were my "starter" pair that I was going to tade up gradually.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 2mm/0.2ct approx. RB side stones popped out of its bezel setting of my 3-stone ruby ring one day, don't know where it went, could not find it in the car, and I even emptied the work's vacuum cleaner and sieved its contents two days running in the hope it got sucked into it but with no luck.

It cost me 400 GBP to have it replaced and re-set, and for the remaining side stone to be popped out and re-set, and for the ring to be rhodium re-plated. :roll:

Back in the mid 90s, I lost the imperial jade centre stone of my mother's ring that was on loan to me at a work related function. I was too drunk to notice at the time, and spent a good couple of hours in the early hours of the morning searching through the contents of the hotel's vacuum cleaner but with no luck. It was prong set, and I dislike prong settings ever since. :((

DK :))

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you find it.

I had a chain break and a mint garnet pendant dropped down between my seat and console. I looked and looked and never found it. About 4 months later I had my sunroof open and looked down and saw a glint of white metal near the seat track and sure enough it was the pendant. I had some super long tweezers and was able to get it out of there okay.

One time I found one of my PC ready set to go WF studs missing and I searched everywhere for it for several days. I had the remaining stud ready to ship in to WF so they could match my stud and I saw something under a foot of our coffee table. It was my earring. I had put them on in our bedroom then walked out to the living room to put on my shoes. The interesting thing is the ear nut was on it so I clearly had missed my earring hole, it must have been stuck in my hair and when I bent over it fell out. Now I check the post is clearly attached to my ears each morning.

When I was using an ultrasonic cleaner every day I had an accent come out in the jewelry cleaner. I had it clasped with tweezers and that suckers shot across the room and I never did find it.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I've never lost a diamond, but my mother lost her original e-ring diamond twice. There was a time in the '70s when platinum wasn't being used for rings. The oldtimer jewelers retired, and the youngsters who came in didn't know how to work with platinum. The prongs were worn on Mom's ring, and the first time she lost her diamond was when kneading bread. She looked down and, hey, no diamond in the setting. LOL. She dissolved away every bit of 2 loaves of bread dough and retrieved the diamond. The local newbie jeweler reset the diamond and rebuilt the prongs, but must not have done it quite right. Less than 1 year later, she looked down at her ring and the diamond was gone again. She looked for it really hard, retraced her steps, searched the house, the cars, everywhere. No diamond. Then about a month later, she happened to notice something glinting in the bathroom in the narrow space between the vanity and the bathtub, and that turned out to be the diamond.

I've lost things down the seat of my Thunderbird. It's always been like the Bermuda Triangle of car seats. Stuff goes in there, and I can't ever find it, but then at some random moment I'll look down and notice that the seat has spit it back out and the formerly lost object is now lying on the floormat directly behind the driver's seat. Jewelery, pens, money, tire gauges, toll road tickets, you name it: Returned unharmed, eventually. My Chevy friend says all Ford vehicles need to be exorcised. :lol:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
The title of this thread was almost whimsical to me, as if a little lost anthropomorphized diamond is on a trek or mission of its own. The reality is much, much sadder. My mother lost a really gorgeous three stone ring. No idea where it went, at all. And, she wasn't even bothered! Her thought was, 's#$t happens." She's not cavalier with the way she stores her jewelry, at all--I think she has a 'so be it' attitude for problems that don't involve health, family, really significant amounts of money, etc.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1402958003|3694516 said:
When I was using an ultrasonic cleaner every day I had an accent come out in the jewelry cleaner. I had it clasped with tweezers and that suckers shot across the room and I never did find it.

:lol: sorry, but it sounds funny.
We should invent a diamond magnet and make out millions!

I have one 0.25 JA stud living in the grass in my daughter's front yard. Where it shall remain forever, probably.
Then mate then disappeared.
Several months later I was looking for a needle I dropped on my old pine flooring that has big cracks between the boards and there was the stud. I was quite happy.

By the way, I have a metal detector that has helped on occasion with larger jewelry lost outside, but didn't in the case of the yard diamond.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harpertoo said:
Ugh. I think I'd have the seats torn apart to find the earring just on principle. I hate the idea of knowing where it is and not being able to get at it!
maddening.
I lost a ruby ring, my birthstone, on a camping trip just days after receiving it from my uncle. I was quite young and so pleased to have been given such a lovely gift I denied that the ring was too loose. I didn't want him to take the ring to size it. He was a jeweler and we were on a short visit. I imagined it would be a long time before I'd get the ring back. So, the ruby ring was lost in the woods in Northern WI somewhere.
My parents were quite disappointed with me and did not spend much time searching.
I did become more careful though. And maybe someone had a lovely surprise finding that ring.

This weekend we went on a family camping trip and we were at a campground that didn't have a lot of people camping. I was looking at the ground and I saw 2 yellow gold rings sitting in the gravel-and I scooped them up. Both were YG-one with a red stone with 2 hearts (out of the metal) and the other was a heart with a diamond in it. 10k was stamped on the inside and I thought-well just my luck to find 2 rings being a jewelry lover-but I'll check with the front desk to see if anyone reported anything lost but considering it was 80 acres and who knows how long they'd been there-I wasn't expecting to find the owners (hoping since they looked like they were pretty sentential).

I got back from the boat ride (rings safely being worn) and was walking back to where the rest of the family was at the beach. I had walked by a few trailers and felt my spirit move and tell me to ask this one couple (in a group) with dogs-if anyone had misplaced rings by any chance. The older gentleman said-why yes-2 of them and one had a red stone. I said I found them :appl: ::)

His eyes grew wide and said REALLY!? We spent hours looking for those-turns out they were a gift to a 6yr old and one used to be grandma ring (not sure on the other one) and she had just received them earlier that day. She put them in a bag in her pocket and they fell out and everyone was looking for them in the area but had come up empty. I told them to her a chain to ear them around her neck and was so happy to have found the owners-the little girls mom thanked me but I think the little girl was shy since she didn't really say much :rolleyes:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no, so sorry to hear this :(( I really hope you find it, Let us know how you make out, sending lots of diamond-finding dust your way!

I lost my original ering diamond - a .33 stone - it had fallen out of the setting, so I had both the setting and diamond in a ring box - my young daughter was looking at my jewelry (costume) on my bed but when I checked on her I noticed she had the ring box containing the diamond, so I said something like "oh, we don't want anything to happen to this one, I better put it in a safe place" - I could have sworn I put it on the bathroom vanity (I know, not exactly a safe place :roll: ) and I just forgot about it. When I went to look for it some time later, the box was nowhere to be found. I cannot for the life of me figure out what happened to it. I've hunted for it over the years - It's driving me crazy, because it has to be somewhere in this house!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My husband is an engineer that works with high tech lab instruments, and frequently drops screws in side an HPLC or GCMS, so he has this long bendable stick with a super strong magnet on the end to retrieve these screws. He tried to stick this in all the nooks around the carseat to find my earring. DUH.... my earring is platinum, and not magnetic! but the magnet on the stick managed to stick to every darn metal thing unter the seat (haha, so cute).....but still no earring. Will call dealership again today to see about ripping the carseat out.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Do it yourself? Google how to remove the seat, or perhaps find an enthusiast forum for that model of vehicle and ask them how to remove the seat.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
As a teenager I was swimming in my parents pool, I took off my goggles the strap grabbed my earring, it flew off . I swore I knew where it landed. We even got out the metal detector. No luck! I figure they is one blinged out squirrel in Southampton!!

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
After 35 years of marriage and never having her prongs checked, my mom came home from running errands with her diamond no longer in her ering. She thinks she may have heard it hit the floor in WalMart, but can't be sure. After 35 years it was time for an upgrade. While very sentimental at first, she soon forgot about it with a new WF ACA on her finger.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 6 year old has a habit of dropping coins and small things in the very same place and usually you can't see it but sometimes you can feel it instead.

Push the seat all the way forward, get in the car behind the seat and run your hand down along the part between the curve of where the side of the mid console goes and the metal runner for the movement of the seat is. I've also had things mysteriously jump, so to the next spot to check is run your hand on the other side of that metal track directly under the seat and under the seat and also in that metal track, do it on the other side of track (on the door side) under the same seat as well... you might be able to find it by touch without seeing it first.

If you have no luck put the seat all the way back, get down in the front of the car on the floor and do the same thing from the front running your hand along near where it would have gone down. Go over all of the track, next to the seat tracks and area under the seat again.

If you still come up empty do the same thing on the other side of the car with the other seat, I have no idea why but sometimes things can bounce across and be on the side you least expect them to be on, even though I could swear they went down the other side....

99.9% of the time I find the missing tiny object this way...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you checked Youtube for a video called, "How to remove a seat from car X"?

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, the oval from my ering fell out three weeks ago. :shock: I had been posting for the past couple of months regarding a reset and any ideas people had. I had knocked the prongs loose a couple of times over the past year and a half, and the jeweler recommended a new head and tightened the prongs so the ring was temporarily safe again. DH and I planned for a complete reset for our upcoming anniversary this fall. I continued wearing the ring and checked the prongs continually ... One night in June, I was scrolling through google images on my phone for setting ideas, and I thought, "hmm, do I want miligrain? What would that look like on my oval...? And I looked down at a BLACK HOLE of a setting! I couldn't believe it actually happened to ME!

I retraced my steps and my 10-year-old found me upstairs and proudly presented me with the diamond she had found on the tile floor under the kitchen sink. I am used to little beads and crystals and trinkety things being all over my house, but when she held up that glowing white diamond that was shooting off little rainbows, I was so struck by the fact it was a *precious* gem!

I was on the golf course earlier that evening for a twilight front nine with the entire family--when I glanced down and saw the diamond was missing, I thought it was gone forever. I had only been home for about 20 minutes when I realized it was missing. My husband asked me, "When's the last time you remember looking at it?" I look at it ALL THE TIME and he knows that. :twirl: I had actually just cleaned my set before heading out on the golf course, knowing that the late afternoon sun was going to be perfect for bling watching while I drove the cart. :appl: So now the lonely diamond is sitting in a pathetic little ziplock bag with its grading card until we go to the jeweler later this month to look at some settings.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I should have posted an update to this diamond saga, but to be honest, I don't have an update. My diamond stud is still somewhere under the passenger seat of my car, and I'm currently wearing a stud in one ear and a small diamond huggie in the other ear.

I have not had a chance to take it to the dealership, and I have not tried to remove any carseat by myself yet. I'm taking a couple days off of work next week, and will have more time to investigate one of those 2 options!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My good friend lost her engagement ring and wedding band shortly after her wedding. At home. I'm convinced the dog ate it! She's a blind Lab. The dog, not my friend. :bigsmile:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lost a little side marquise out of my original engagement ring - you know the kind that are set with one teeny prong on each end. It fell out on the ground when I put my hand in my pants pocket. I was in a gun position above ground in the prison and I had 5 inmates looking for that 5 pt. diamond for at least 2 hours. :lol: They never did find it or at least they didn't tell me they did.

I hope you can get it out of your seat!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results