carat
color
clarity

Please don't assume we remember everything you've posted

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pet Peeve - Rant warning ...

Often people will post something like, "Well, here in my country we don't have a gun problem, or many homeless people, or bad manners.

Even though their country is an important part of their post they won't bother mentioning, or reminding us, which country it is.
Apparently people assume we all remember where they live if they have posted their country in the past.

Sorry, I for one cannot remember everything everyone has ever posted.
When it is relevant to your post please remind us where you are.

Obviously this is subject to respecting your desired level of privacy; I strongly respect everyone's existing comfort level on personal info.
If you have never mentioned the region/city/state/country you live in I'm not asking you to ... only if you've offered it before and location is pertinent to your post.

Thanks. :wavey:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't think I am one of the guilty ones, as I usually mention I am from the UK if I believe my location is relevant to the subject matter.

I agree with Kenny's sentiment that I cannot always remember what peeps have posted in the past as I can't always remember what I have posted myself in the past!

DK :))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rant #2

Don't say you live in "South Bay".
When I see that I wonder, "Which South Bay?"

Do you realize how many bays the world has?
98.235% of them have land to the south.
I'd speculate there are at least 100 places called South Bay.

The Los Angeles basin has an area called South Bay.
It includes cities like Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Torrance, Redondo Beach, El Segundo.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, am I correct in assuming that this post is about me? If so, I have never posted which country I currently live in, which is why I haven't mentioned it in my homelessness thread. It's a very small country and given everything else I've mentioned about myself in the past, I feel it would really single me out if anyone did a search on me (maybe I'm being paranoid though). If you're really interested in finding out, I think a google search on countries with no homelessness might bring it up - but I'm not sure as I haven't tried it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mayerling|1402783372|3693310 said:
Kenny, am I correct in assuming that this post is about me?

The suggestion offered in this thread is for anyone who has mentioned where they live and assume everyone remembers it so they don't have to remind us when location is key to their post.

I've already addressed that I respect everyone's privacy and am not asking for more location info than they have already voluntarily revealed in the past.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Kenny has a good point. And I know from experience that 65,142 people will answer & say, "I know you're talking about me. I didn't DO that." So let's not & say we did, ok? (Mayerling, I'm NOT NOT NOT talking about you -- this has happened to me & I've seen it on other posts.) Whoever -- NOT YOU specifically. He means it in general.

Anyhow, I can't remember what I've written half the time -- have a fear of repeating myself. In cases like Kenny mentions, go ahead & repeat yourselves. IF you have already shared the info.

--- Laurie

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I do that all the time, but it works in reverse Kenny - I also can't keep track of where all of the US P/S members live yet surely you don't expect every member to write they live in a specific state when they are talking about something geographically related because most simply don't do this....

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's funny you brought this up, because I always feel stupid mentioning for the 400th time, that I live in Canada. :wavey:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I have a coworker who once worked for the other primary care tertiary hospital here, and she would say, "Well, at X, we..." SO MUCH that we all but banned her from saying it ever again. It was incredibly annoying. Now when she (rarely) refers to it, she says, "At that other place I worked at once..."

I think I routinely harp on about being in Australia (and like Lyra says, I cringe when I do it, thinking of my workmate). When I speak of my first couple of decades in the States, I usually refer to the Midwest. I know at least ame remembers where I'm originally from, lol.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Well, I suppose if somebody's country of origin is important to the topic under discussion it should definitely be mentioned each time. It's true that we can't remember every detail about every PSer. If, however, somebody's area is simply an aside (as it was in my homelessness question, even though you weren't talking about me), it's conceivable that it doesn't need to be mentioned every time.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mayerling|1402802112|3693433 said:
Well, I suppose if somebody's country of origin is important to the topic under discussion it should definitely be mentioned each time. It's true that we can't remember every detail about every PSer. If, however, somebody's area is simply an aside (as it was in my homelessness question, even though you weren't talking about me), it's conceivable that it doesn't need to be mentioned every time.

That is all already covered in my first post.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lyra|1402799486|3693405 said:
That's funny you brought this up, because I always feel stupid mentioning for the 400th time, that I live in Canada. :wavey:

Well apparently it has gone in one eye and out the other 400 times. :D

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After 10 years here I just counted the number of people for whom I think I recall where they are located.
Grand Total: 8

Perhaps I have a particularly bad memory.
Perhaps I'm a particularly bad person.

Whatever.

I still thinks it's not reasonable, and frankly self-important, to expect others to remember ... plus there are noobs to consider.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Someone posting 'where I live, blah blah blah' is not necessarily expecting you know or remember exactly where they live. It may be pertinent to the topic to be specific about the location, but it may not be. It may just be exactly that, where they live there are different customs, etc.

I've made similar posts in the past, and quite frankly I couldn't care less if anyone remembers that I live in Australia, the point is simply 'where I live'.

:rolleyes:

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1402780803|3693295 said:

Often people will post something like, "Well, here in my country we don't have a gun problem, or many homeless people, or bad manners.

Even though their country is an important part of their post they won't bother mentioning, or reminding us, which country it is.
Apparently people assume we all remember where they live if they have posted their country in the past.

Sorry, I for one cannot remember everything everyone has ever posted.
When it is relevant to your post please remind us where you are.

Obviously this is subject to respecting your desired level of privacy; I strongly respect everyone's existing comfort level on personal info.
If you have never mentioned the region/city/state/country you live in I'm not asking you to ... only if you've offered it before and location is pertinent to your post.

Thanks. :wavey:

sorry Kenny, I think you are talking about me *flowers*
I have to confess on this board I tend to imagine that when I say that it is simply clear that I am not from the US.
I guess if you are particularly interested in which country I come from, as opposed to the giant bucket of 'other' lol...you could just ask? :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1402807450|3693497 said:
After 10 years here I just counted the number of people for whom I think I recall where they are located.
Grand Total: 8
Kenny
We live in the same Zip code...90210

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I don't think most people care enough to know which South Bay or which country. It's not a big deal. If they really wanted to know, I'm sure they'd ask that person to be more specific. I'm sure most people really don't give a shit. I don't assume anyone remembers anything I say.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

That's because it's not really about anything more than just bashing the U.S., Kenny, and it doesn't really matter where else you live as long as you don't live here because it's just the definition of evil here and all that's wrong with the world. :)

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I think it may put the topic in perspective as well. Truthfully, I wondered where Mayerling was talking about when she said they have no homeless and such good manners. In another thread, on money, she said something about the UK, and so I assumed she was from the UK. If so, then her small little country is really not so small at all.

I do remember what people say, within reason. Some I don't, and it does help me, as cultures are different.

Annette

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
aljdewey|1402839661|3693589 said:

That's because it's not really about anything more than just bashing the U.S., Kenny, and it doesn't really matter where else you live as long as you don't live here because it's just the definition of evil here and all that's wrong with the world. :)

LOL

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
smitcompton|1402841365|3693600 said:
Hi,

I think it may put the topic in perspective as well. Truthfully, I wondered where Mayerling was talking about when she said they have no homeless and such good manners. In another thread, on money, she said something about the UK, and so I assumed she was from the UK. If so, then her small little country is really not so small at all.

I do remember what people say, within reason. Some I don't, and it does help me, as cultures are different.

Annette

No, I think I've mentioned a few times that I moved from the UK a few months ago. I think I mentioned it in the money thread.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This -

MishB|1402809728|3693510 said:
Someone posting 'where I live, blah blah blah' is not necessarily expecting you know or remember exactly where they live. It may be pertinent to the topic to be specific about the location, but it may not be. It may just be exactly that, where they live there are different customs, etc.

and this -

ForteKitty|1402816819|3693534 said:
I don't think most people care enough to know which South Bay or which country. It's not a big deal. If they really wanted to know, I'm sure they'd ask that person to be more specific.

Although I don't think it's a matter of not caring enough - I think it's a matter of most of our pea brains don't hold onto those kind of details well, and in most cases exactly where people live isn't pertinent to our understanding of whatever discussion is at hand.

I don't know the whereabouts of many currrent posters. If I participate in a discussion in which that information is important I assume they'll mention it, or someone will ask. Curiously, I do know that Kenny lives in the Los Angeles area... and that DF does not. :tongue:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I truly have a terrible memory if someone has posted where they are from and I surely do not read every thread here at PS. Now some I will always remember just by the exchanges we have had here - justginger for one :wavey: But I would never assume that anyone knows where I am from. We all post based on our own experiences and culture. I am glad to get to "know" people from other cultures here on PS but please don't be offended if I don't remember everything.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aljdewey|1402839661|3693589 said:

Come on, al, you don't really believe that. That's an extremely xenophobic statement and not one I would expect of someone of your sophistication. You can't really believe that everyone from a country other than the United States posts with the intention of criticizing the United States unfairly.

Deb
:wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is not a passive-aggresive attack on Mayerling.
Not at all.
I apologize to Mayerling if it seems that way because of the examples I cited.
They were just recent and handy.
Now I see that since since they pointed to you it was rude of me to use them.

People have been posting as if they assume we all remember their location since I joined PS ten years ago.
Maybe I'm just more sensitive to it now because I'm getting older and my memory isn't what it used to be.

Plus, I have no problem with people criticizing a country, any country, even their own.
I'm a very patriotic American, served my country honorably in the military for six years, but I've been pretty blunt in criticizing it when I think that's warranted.

(Notice I just spend a tenth of a second inserting which country I live in since there is a chance someone does not remember, or is a noob.)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1402842181|3693606 said:
I truly have a terrible memory if someone has posted where they are from and I surely do not read every thread here at PS. Now some I will always remember just by the exchanges we have had here - justginger for one :wavey: But I would never assume that anyone knows where I am from. We all post based on our own experiences and culture. I am glad to get to "know" people from other cultures here on PS but please don't be offended if I don't remember everything.

God! I LOVE it when people agree with me. :wavey:

:lol:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, I'm relying on you to remember where I live in case I have a seniorita moment.

Jimmi
red house with blue front door
2 blocks from Rural Route 7

thanks in advance! :wavey:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I try. BUT it's soooooo hard to remember all. If I have a doubt I will ask...

NOW after being here almost 10 years the only Canadian I can recal is Canuckgal...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jimmianne|1402868509|3693760 said:
Kenny, I'm relying on you to remember where I live in case I have a seniorita moment.

Jimmi
red house with blue front door
2 blocks from Rural Route 7

thanks in advance! :wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaleigh|1402870925|3693773 said:
NOW after being here almost 10 years the only Canadian I can recal is Canuckgal...

Hey, that's cheating. :lol:

Hey, with my excellent memory I remember where San Diego Lady and Phoenix live. :mrgreen:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results