shape
carat
color
clarity

The rough for my Octavia (pics)...

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for sharing. It looks beautiful in it's frosty natural state too.

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, good GRIEF, this is fun!! I bet you're so excited!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yoram is a great artist. It is really special to have a stone from him.

It seems like it may be becoming a trend for the men here to have Octavias or asschers!!! :appl:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1402791521|3693354 said:

It seems like it may be becoming a trend for the men here to have Octavias or asschers!!! :appl:
So are you gonna surprise your DH?... :Up_to_something:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That rough is gorgeous. Are you sure you don't want to just mount it as is???
:wink2:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How cool to see start to finish!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
This is so freaking cool, what an awesome project! Thanks for sharing with us, DF. :wavey:

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Awesome, please keep us posted. There is nothing cooler for us obsessives to see the project from rough to finished jewelry. I cannot wait, do keep us posted and yes I too hope that Yoram takes pix like every five minutes along the way.:))) BTW, it does look really white and clean, it certainly looks whiter than an I/J but much depends on luck, very curious what it will come out as.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1402791521|3693354 said:

Definitely! :D

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you will post every single progress photo for us!

[yes, why not set it just the way it is? :lol: ]
It's magical.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hello friends,

I dont usually like to story-tell before I complete a Diamond but since numerous PS'ers inquired, I feel like I can shoot one (or two) teaser images into the air. :devil:

The rest of the process will be documented by me for educational purposes..., well, at least I am hoping I will find time for this.
DF, should you allow it, I will gladly post numerous images of the advancement of this project but only after its satisfactory completion. r1_2.jpg
r2_6.jpg

Anyone guess what we are looking at :saint: ??

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiaGem|1402847011|3693634 said:
Hello friends,

I dont usually like to story-tell before I complete a Diamond but since numerous PS'ers inquired, I feel like I can shoot one (or two) teaser images into the air. :devil:

The rest of the process will be documented by me for educational purposes..., well, at least I am hoping I will find time for this.
DF, should you allow it
, I will gladly post numerous images of the advancement of this project but only after its satisfactory completion. r1_2.jpg
r2_6.jpg

DG, please post more pics when ever you have time. ... :appl: :appl:

The diamond in the photo is from the other half of my rough.. :praise:

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
I'm also really looking forward to progress photos of this! Pretty fascinating to really consider all the work that goes into it. :)

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, this is really cool thanks for posting updates! Can we know anything about the specs of the diamond already cut from the rough?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
r1_2.jpg
r2_6.jpg

Let me guess.
Since the smaller top diamond is already polished, and DF said you have not started his yet ...
Might that be the rough that one of our two Octavias was cut from, either 1.34 H VS2, or the 1.57 G VS2 which later got repolished down to 1.51?

BTW, thank you Yoram for posting pics.
You have no idea how exciting it is to see these.

It would not be possible for you to post too many pics of DF's diamond as it goes through the polishing process.
Following the polishing of a member's diamond will be a Pricescope first and one of the most educational threads ever.

Nice Photography, BTW.

I think the thick black line at the cut was to indicate where to cut off the top of the octahedron, but what are those small lines on the rough for?
Do you cut with a laser or a saw?
Why do I see what look like several parallel surface graining lines on the rough where you cut the top off?

The rough has a frosty skin, making it difficult to see into.
Is this a facet you polished to help look into the stone for cut planning and discovering where inclusions may be?

screen_shot_2014-06-15_at_11.png

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1402854910|3693697 said:
r1_2.jpg
r2_6.jpg

BTW, thank you Yoram for posting pics.
You have no idea how exciting it is to see these.

It would not be possible for you to post too many pics of DF's diamond as it goes through the polishing process.
Following the polishing of a member's diamond will be a Pricescope first and one of the most educational threads ever.

BIG ditto to Kenny there! What an amazing opportunity this is for us all in fact, if my American BF agrees of course.... :praise:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely fascinating to see how this is done. Hoping the mods will let this stand as educational.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Lorelei, your American boyfriend should agree to anything you ask for.:)))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei|1402855760|3693699 said:
BIG ditto to Kenny there! What an amazing opportunity this is for us all in fact, if my American BF agrees of course.... :praise:

Oh sure. :angryfire:
You fall in love with DF now that he's getting an Octavia.
So, what am I? Chopped Liver?

:lol:

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dancing Fire|1402852948|3693682 said:
Hello friends,

DF, should you allow it
, I will gladly post numerous images of the advancement of this project but only after its satisfactory completion. r1_2.jpg
r2_6.jpg

DG, please post more pics when ever you have time. ... :appl: :appl:

The diamond in the photo is from the other half of my rough.. :praise:

LOL, Thus giving new meaning to, "My better half."

This is fascinating to all of us, trade and consumer alike. I too ask for many photos.

Wink

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi DF et-al,
Will do my best to show images since you are ok with this...
Yes, this is the satellite Diamond cut from the main Rough crystal.
I cut it prior for information purposes of what material to expect from the main stone. Although its not exact science, it does show me certain aspects I am looking for. (this is aimed to your Q too OVince.)

Kenny, this Diamond came off the wheel a few days ago. Unfortunately I don't have the rough images of your two Octavia's, so sorry.
Why would you say I "won't" be able to show to many pictures?
It's planned as an educational..., in any case I am planning a detailed process  educational on our future website, I just didnt decide which design to record yet. If I get to this specific one, it could be a great candidate and since I already started taking pics..., so I might as well go at it.
Thank you for the photography compliment btw, it's our web designer /photographer who is doing his practicing successfully.

Good questions regarding the laser marks.
The thick black line circling the sawed-off top surface is actually a laser pre-process we apply to achieve a more balanced/precise & smooth sawed surface which will eventually become the table of the Octavia, the accuracy & balance of the 3D precision cut greatly depend on the precise placement of the table facet.
Laser sawing is an extremely important section of the preparing process. To reach the accuracy levels the Octavia requires there is no room for errors in the planning process. Further, even though laser sawing allows much more designing flexibility, the Diamond's grain directions and internal/external features play a crucial role in the sawing process decisions.

The parallel surface lines you notice on the sawed surface is an already lightly cleaned (process) result of the laser marks left as a result of the sawing process. Depending on the friction vs. grain the laser marks can vary from a rough dark (black) surface to a smoother light grayish surface color. In any case, to see through the surface, it needs to be polished on the wheel.
There are two different thinner black laser lines observable on the rough.
One (two freestyle laser circles and a window towards the culet) is for windowing instructions to better visualize potential inclusions and other obstacles hiding near the surface or deeper within the crystal, the other (continuous laser line) is for the approximate positioning and shape blocking.
The corner window facet in the small image you posted was cut to reveal the depth of a small feather positioned in that area which is one of a plurality of factors taking into consideration in the planning process.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy crap! So envious!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much did the original rough weigh, and how large is the satellite diamond, and what shape was it cut in?

Details, we want details! :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiaGem|1402867143|3693750 said:
Kenny, why would you say I "won't" be able to show too many pictures?

Sorry, what I meant was I would love a zillion pics.
No matter how many you post it would never be too many for me.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yoram, let me see if I'm following you.

You've polished 3 small 'windows' on the diamond to see into it ... plus the table which now functions as a large window to see into the stone.

I think I have cropped where the 3 windows are located.
Is this correct?

_370.png

_371.png

screen_shot_2014-06-15_at_3.png

screen_shot_2014-06-15_at_0.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yoram, what is this line for?

DF, wouldn't it be cool if you bought the sattelite diamond too? :naughty:
Sorry I'm hogging your thread; I'm just so excited about your project. :errrr:

screen_shot_2014-06-15_at_1.png

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1402856000|3693703 said:
Lorelei|1402855760|3693699 said:

Oh sure. :angryfire:
You fall in love with DF now that he's getting an Octavia.
So, what am I? Chopped Liver?

:lol:
Yup, British chopped liver!.. :lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiaGem|1402867143|3693750 said:
Hi DF et-al,
Will do my best to show images since you are ok with this...
Yes, this is the satellite Diamond cut from the main Rough crystal.
I cut it prior for information purposes of what material to expect from the main stone. Although its not exact science, it does show me certain aspects I am looking for. (this is aimed to your Q too OVince.)

Kenny, this Diamond came off the wheel a few days ago. Unfortunately I don't have the rough images of your two Octavia's, so sorry.
Why would you say I "won't" be able to show to many pictures?
It's planned as an educational..., in any case I am planning a detailed process educational on our future website, I just didnt decide which design to record yet. If I get to this specific one, it could be a great candidate and since I already started taking pics..., so I might as well go at it.
Thank you for the photography compliment btw, it's our web designer /photographer who is doing his practicing successfully.
D.G...sounds good to me. A lot of pics please!... :appl: :appl:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1402870986|3693775 said:
Yoram, what is this line for?

DF, wouldn't it be cool if you bought the sattelite diamond too? :naughty:
Sorry I'm hogging your thread; I'm just so excited about your project. :errrr:
the sattelite diamond is included with purchase of my Octavia.. :wink2:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This really is fascinating - so amazing to be able to see some of the process of cutting. Thanks DiaGem for accommodating us!

DF, I couldn't be happier for you - a gorgeous stone plus a step by step chronicle of its creation! Doesn't get any better than this!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results