shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all the Pregnant PS''ers

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
blacksand - What I did to find a pediatrician was to call clinics and ask if they had any doctors taking on new patients. I imagine it's not that different elsewhere.

mia - I'm sorry you're in pain. With my first I had crazy PSD back pain and saw an osteotherapist monthly. This time around it's occasional crotch pain after 1 hour + of walking or standing. I've had two monthly full-body massages and she massages my belly upwards so it helps to relieve the pressure on the pelvic bone. I also read that chiropractor visits are especially helpful for PSD.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
mia - if you want to look it up a bit further, the formal name is diastasis recti - which is Latin for separation of the rectus muscles (6 pack muscles). Basically it's where the tummy muscles can't deal with the stretch required by the growing uterus so the connective tissue between the rectus muscles widens so you get a "gap" in the muscular abdominal wall. It's more likely in second and subsequent pregnancies and there's a big genetic component to it. I had it the first time so I knew it was coming this time as well, and it's definitely more severe this time. Basically you need to avoid any "sit-up" type exercises and manoeuvres to avoid worsening it, and exercises to strengthen your pelvic floor and transversus abdominis muscle are recommended. There's nothing you can do about it so it's about minimising the stress on your body and avoiding making it worse!

I doubt mine will come back together as well as they did last time, but hey - small price to pay for a baby, right?!

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
coda, warmest congratulations on Nora's arrival! I hope you are having a wonderful start together :)

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Coda! Yay! You are so lucky to be holding your little one! Can't wait for the story! Nora is one of our favorite names!!!

Anchor- Thanks for the tips on PSD. I tried the chiropractor last time and it didn't really help. I think massages might help but unfortunately it's not my back that hurts, only my crotch region. :-o But maybe that upward massage of the belly might help. I'll look into it for sure!

Pancake- Thanks for giving the medical term. I will definitely go and research the crap out of it :read: hahaha! I will have to think of whether I am doing any type of crunch type movements. I mostly swim for exercise but there are some core exercises in the aquafit class that I do unless my belly is in the way or it's uncomfortable. I'm sure I'm doing stuff I shouldn't while taking care of my daughter too but you know how that goes! I was cracking up at your "small price to pay" line! Hahaha! I am starting to tally up all of my "small prices" (stretch marks, extra skin, enlarged belly button and nipples, varicose veins, and seperated abs) and they really are starting to add up! Not to mention that I have been watching Nip/Tuck and it's seriously making me consider a plastic surgery "mommy makeover!" I really hope these kids are worth it! :bigsmile:

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Black Sand- Are you in Canada like Anchor? If not, (because I don't know how it works there) if you like your OBGYN you could ask them. When I asked mine she had me bring in a list of the ones my insurance covers and she would help me.

I narrowed my search by location. There is an area here where I think the better doctors tend to set up shop, so I first narrowed the list by that.

Then I went on Yelp and websites like RateMds and read reviews. I take doctor reviews with a grain of salt because I think a lot of people have unrealistic expectations for their doctors, but I looked for red flags like a doc who many found pushy, incompetent or had a poor bedside manner. Things like having to wait a while to see the doctor or the receptionist not smiling at me do not bother me.

So then I highlighted the ones with the best reviews and brought the list to my doc. Turns out her kids' ped was on the list so she recommended her for me! She also pointed out something I wouldn't have thought of as a FTM. She told me that my DD's ped's office has after hour and weekends available for sick kids only. She said "and trust me, your kid will only get sick when the doctors office is closed!" Haha! I love that we have that option if DD gets sick. And sure enough I love my pediatrician!

We have crappy HMO insurance, but researching my docs has really allowed me to get some pretty good docs who take my insurance. I feel so lucky to have doctors I love and not even have a copay for well checkups!

And I realized I just typed that all out and you might not even live in the states. But if not, maybe it will help someone who does... :twirl:

SMC

Ideal_Rock
coda72|1402359530|3689781 said:
Nora Dawn is here, and I'm in love! I'll post the whole story later, but I ended up having her on her due date!
Congratulations! That's a beautiful name!

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Coda, congratulations on Nora! I'm so happy for you. Best of luck with your bundle of joy.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Coda, congratulations on your lovely Nora! I'm so happy for you! I hope all is going well & can't wait to see her little face!!

I'm in the middle of my one hour glucose test & am very nervous of failing it with my PCOS. Wish me luck!

I just got back from a little vacay & will come back soon for a proper catch up. Hope everyone is doing well!

25w2d

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Coda! Congratulations! So happy she's here! I don't know if I mentioned this before, but Norah is our girl name, too. So your Nora may soon be in good company. I hope you and Nora are both doing well. Can't wait for more details.

pancake and mia, no worries, no offense taken at all. I agree that it's always good to have someone to talk to to work through these feelings. I have been having a hard time, and I know to seek help if needed. I appreciate your concern, sincerely. mia, so sorry the pain continues to be so bad. It's good that your doctor takes it seriously (so many doctors would dismiss it as normal without a second thought), and I hope you can get some relief. Swimming sounds wonderful. I wish I had access to a pool here. Although, my body in a swimsuit right now might be a little scary! :)

anchor and mia, thanks for the tips on finding a pediatrician. We actually asked the OB for some recommendations this week, and we liked the look of one practice on the list. They're in network for us, they have separate well and sick waiting rooms, Saturday appointments, after hours emergency care available, etc. We called and found out they are having an open house for new patients on Thursday, so we're going to go and check it out in person. Seems like this might be a lot easier than we had thought!

Good news this week. Sorry to deprive you all of my typical whining! My shower was on Sunday, and it was wonderful. It was kind of a whirlwind, but I couldn't believe how many people showed up and and sweet and generous everyone was. Baby and I feel very loved. And my blood sugars were good that day, so I even ate just a few bites of delicious cake. Then on Monday, we had an ultrasound at the OB. Baby is looking PERFECT. Measuring 5.5 lbs. now (at 35 weeks), projected to be about 7-7.5 lbs. at full term. I know these are just estimates and could be way off, but it's still a huge relief and so nice to hear. I felt really validated that I have my GD under control and all my hard work is not in vain. Fluid looked good, placenta looked good, everything right on track. So happy. My blood pressure was not too bad (not as low as I'd like, but better than last time). The doctor was happy with my blood sugar numbers, my weight gain, and the baby's progress. For once, a good appointment! Next week I start weekly non-stress tests. It's definitely getting real.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Congrats Coda!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Well done blacksand!

brown_eyes

Shiny_Rock
Hi All!

Sorry to disappear for so long. Today is my due date so it seems appropriate to post today. Sweet August was born May 25th 6lb 12oz and 19in long. He surprised us by making his entrance 2.5 weeks early. I was so ready to be done with the pregnancy but wasn't quite ready for his arrival yet. I didn't even have a bag packed!

Having two kids makes life a little crazy, but we're settling in nicely. E loves her little brother and is so sweet with him. Speaking of E, I better sneak a quick nap in before her grandparents drop her off.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
brown_eyes|1402517180|3691133 said:
Hi All!

Sorry to disappear for so long. Today is my due date so it seems appropriate to post today. Sweet August was born May 25th 6lb 12oz and 19in long. He surprised us by making his entrance 2.5 weeks early. I was so ready to be done with the pregnancy but wasn't quite ready for his arrival yet. I didn't even have a bag packed!

Having two kids makes life a little crazy, but we're settling in nicely. E loves her little brother and is so sweet with him. Speaking of E, I better sneak a quick nap in before her grandparents drop her off.
Woohoo! Congratulations! Cute name too.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Congrats Brown_Eyes!

I think this means that Blacksand is next? I need to check the list on the other thread.

I am so so so behind due to all of the traveling I have been doing.

Blacksand- I'm sorry that pregnancy has been such a hard time for you overall. Congrats on managing your GD with diet alone (which I'm sure is no easy task) and slogging through all of the appointments, blood testing, and limited diet. I'm glad your shower was great and that you were able to enjoy a few bites of cake. Also great news that they're not expecting you to have an above average size baby. I hope they are right! I was nearly 11 lbs and live in fear of also having a massive child.

mia- I hear ya on the sleep struggle. I wake up every 1.5-2 hours to move. When I am in the process of rolling over I feel like someone is choking me. I could swear that my bed is sloped down towards my head. I may be joining you in the pool-only club. I think my days doing bodypump are numbered. Next week I'm dropping my weights for anything to do with legs to see if I can keep my heart rate in check. I hope the pregnancy belt helps relieve some of the PSD. It sounds like you have a particularly bad case.

I just read what you wrote about abdominal separation. If I'm laying on my back and I flex my abs my belly goes pointed in a very, very creepy way. It freaked me out the first time I did it. I see what pancake wrote below about it so I will be doing more research as well. Thanks for bringing it up. I just figured it was a normal but weird pregnancy thing.

Dragonfly- I hope you are enjoying your trip to West Palm. I agree with mia, try not to beat yourself up about the weight gain. You're pregnant. If you're doing the best you can to take care of yourself then what more could a doctor or anything else ask? I'm feeling self conscious, too, but I realize that I notice extra chub here or there way more than anyone else. I pretty much have stopped looking below my hips in the mirror because that's where it's all gone. Relax on your trip and have fun with your SO!

BrightSpot- Good luck on your glucose test! Glad you had a fun trip.

Hi pancake! Good to hear things are fairly normal with you.

AFM- As I mentioned above I've been traveling a ton. I was in Philly over Memorial Day Weekend, home for a few days, then off to Vegas (went to the PS GTG), home for a half day, flew to Seattle for work for 4 days, then flew to Portland straight from Seattle for a 3 day weekend in honor of my DH's birthday. His brother and best friend flew in from Philly and a friend from the Bay Area came up with him. Plus we met up with two PSers that I've known offline for years now and their husbands for a weekend of breweries and eating everything. I had a religious moment with a Voodoo Doughnut. I wish I had the chance to go get more of them.

My PSD is mostly in check still since I started learning to take it easy. I get BH contractions all the time, especially if I am up and about. If I wear my pregnancy belt the BH stuff calms down. It's never been painful and sometimes I don't even notice unless I bump into something or need to pee quite badly. Heartburn has been in full swing if I eat greasy things. We gorged on pizza on Friday night in Portland and I was writhing in pain at about 3 am that night. I ate a ton of TUMS and finally took one of DH's heartburn pills (after googling for safety) and that took care of it.

The baby was quite still for many days. Almost enough to make me a litle worried but he would move every so often just a little to let me know he was OK. Now he has been so active in the last 3 days that it astounds me! He's truly in the super squirmy alien stage where my belly looks like it has a shot put ball rolling around in it.

Baby prep is going to start soon in earnest. I plan to pain the nursey/closet and hang up some things to make it look less like a closet and then organize all of our storage. And assemble the crib. Probably a good idea?

30w3d

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats brown_eyes! So exciting! Love the name, too.

I think megumic is next, but what happened to megumic? Hope all is well with her. I'm due July 11th, but I never added myself to the list because I am a delinquent PSer.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
I'm still here! Reading and following and also being a delinquent PSer! Ah!

I'm 36w4d. On my first week of mat leave - thank goodness! Still team green, although I heavily suspect girl.

Bubs is currently breech, and for those of you who were around last time know he was also breech. I have significant birth trauma and PTSD from #1 - a failed external cephalic version turned emergency c/s. I've found an OB who will deliver vaginal breech. While I am ok with that plan, breech delivery does carry its own set of risks. The immediate decision for us to make is whether to try an external cephalic version. The risk of something going wrong like last time is like 1% -- can lightning really strike twice?! The upside is that if it works, we eliminate the risks (mostly risks to baby) associated with vaginal breech birth. The downside is if we are that 1% again, then I am likely retraumatized by a complete repeat of the identical experience.

Aside from that and just being super achy, all is well. We don't have names picked out really at all and we're struggling hard on that front, but hopefully it will be easy and clear once we meet our baby.

Hope everyone else out here in preggo baby land is doing well!!!

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Just failed my 1 hour glucose test. Now I have to go for the 3 hour fasting test. I'm pretty bummed (a little about having to have the 2nd test, but mostly about the possibility of having GD.) I knew this was a possibility, especially since I have PCOS, but I'd hoped that staying on the Metformin would help prevent me from developing GD. :(sad

Sorry for the fly by. I'll be back when I'm in better spirits to respond to everyone.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
BS, oh poop about the 1hr test. I failed mine too but passed the 3 hr test. It's totally normal to feel down. When I failed I was really down and my DH just didn't get it and was like, "It's not a big deal." I dunno, I guess I just wanted a typical, uncomplicated pregnancy and failing the 1hr test somehow brought all that crashing to the ground. But have faith, lots of women fail the 1hr but pass the 3hr. Just bring something with you to do. I wrote & addressed 80+ Christmas cards and that made the 3hrs go by as painless as one could hope.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
LC, thanks so much for the reassurance & advice. I hope I have the same experience you did. Do you happen to remember what your 1 hour glucose level was? Apparently the normal range is 100-155 & mine came in at 165.

It's funny--with all of the troubles we had TTC, I'd been anticipating bad news from every test I took this pregnancy.
I was just telling someone the other day that I finally stopped waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Oh well.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
megumi - wow, 36 weeks already - that has flown! Hope you are enjoying being on leave. Re your choices - I'm pretty "non-pro" breech vaginal deliveries and if it were me, I would definitely attempt the ECV and my back-up plan would be semi-elective Caesarean if the version were unsuccessful. My concerns re vaginal breech deliveries relate of course to the risk of obstructed labour and head entrapment; if you are in a centre where they deliver lots of vaginal breeches I would feel more comfortable. For instance, in the UK there are more vaginal breech deliveries done than over here in Australia, but here I would be concerned that it is "out of the ordinary" and that there is not the vast practitioner experience that would reassure me of its safety. Here you have to hunt so hard for someone who is willing to do it that that in itself says NO NO NO to me. This is before even considering that you have had a previous C/S. For me, the risks stack up way too high to countenance the idea. But obviously, I am NOT you so as long as you and your hubby feel comfortable with your choices, then I guess that is the main thing!

brightspot - poo re the glucose challenge. I always think that the best way to try and look at it is that even if you do have gestational diabetes, it's SO much better to know than not to know. At least then the risk can be managed. But I would be bummed too and I will be super-bummed if my glucose challenge is abnormal when I do it next week.

brown_eyes - CONGRATULATIONS! What a beautiful name for an undoubtedly beautiful boy <3

clairitek if you ever feel overwhelmed by the organisational stuff pre-baby, just remind yourself that all he needs is somewhere to sleep, nappies, and milk! The rest is all whatever, just stuff :)

blacksand so glad you've had a more positive week. Your shower sounds like it was really lovely!

AFM - no news really. Pelvic instability is a bit worse (I'm very wobbly on the reformer in Pilates at the moment!) but meh, what can you do apart from what you can do? Glucose challenge next week. Baby is super duper active and pummels me most of the day. Our renovations continue apace - rear bathroom complete apart from tile patching and painting, front bathroom has been completely gutted, walls have been redone, plumbing roughed in yesterday, today they are plaster sheeting the walls and I think the aim was to villaboard and waterproof as well if there was time today. Next week is mostly tiling, I think. All going well and not too disruptive so far, we have to vacuum and mop every day due to the layer of fine dust that seems to settle everywhere but that's not so bad. The really meh part will be when we are without a kitchen for 2 weeks...

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Bright I can't remember exactly but I was a few points off the normal range, so I had to take the 3 hr. Diabetes (Type2) also runs in my family (even though I don't have it) so I was kinda guessing that I'd be more susceptible to failing the glucose test.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Megumic- Good to hear from you. So sorry to hear that the baby is breech again. I am not terribly familiar with your birth story with #1 but I'm really sorry that it turned into a scary situation for you. I don't blame you for being gunshy about trying to turn #2. I hope you are able to reach a decision that you're (at least mostly) comfortable with.

BrightSpot- Blergh to that 1 hr test. I hope that it's just an off-day for you and you pass the 3 hr. Crossing everything for you that it's a false alarm.

Pancake- So true about just needing a place to sleep, a way to eat, and someone to change him. That's pretty much what we're aiming for with using the closet instead of taking over a whole bedroom downtairs (our only spare). Bare necessities! I just feel the urge to make it a bit more cheerful in there for him. Shouldn't take me more than a weekend day to paint the space. Going to choose a color today! Sorry that you're feeling so unstable. Excellent that your house reno plans are going along well. Best of luck finding a way to work around not having a kitchen for 2 weeks. Eating out is fun and all but it gets old! I somehow think you're in for a lot of sandwiches soon.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
megumic, I'm sorry the birth of your 1st was so traumatic & that bubs #2 is currently breach. It must be so scary to look at the possibility of the trauma repeating itself. I don't know much about this, but sending you a huge hug & the hope that you're able to figure out a good plan (or even better, that bubs turns around!)

LC, thanks again for your thoughts. I hope I had better luck with the 3 hour test. Fingers crossed! And I'll be thinking of you this weekend when you test. Good luck, lady!

browneyes, congrats on your sweet boy August! I'm glad everyone is healthy, E is loving her little bro & that you guys are getting settled in nicely. Can't wait to see his sweet face!

C-tek, thanks. I hope it's a false alarm too! Good luck with your nursery project. I'm definitely in the bare necessities camp too so if you find any great space savers/multitaskers, please let me know!
I'm glad you've had some fun trips. We're trying to get some travel in too before we're on house arrest. :twirl:
Sorry about the heartburn. Yuck! I've been having heartburn lately too (it seems Italian food is the worst!) & have had good results with zantac. Glad you've been able to take it easy & that the PSD is better.

coda, hope you & Norah are well!

anchor, congrats on finding a pediatrician! I hope you're feeling well.

Dani, there's something to be said for not feeling pregnant! :wink2: Hope that means you're doing great & looking forward to your anatomy scan.

PPM, how are you & your little boy doing? I hope all is well.

pancake, thanks for the reminder about how little babies actually need. We're trying to limit the amount of stuff we get & are borrowing a few items as well (all the better to be able to return them to someone else when we're finished!)
And yes, definitely better to know than not know about GD.
Best of luck with the renovations on your house! I hope everything goes as smoothly & quickly as possible. And maybe cold suppers will start to become appealing in the summer heat! I'm sorry that the pelvic instability is getting worse, though. Hugs.

blacksand, I was so happy to read your post! That's wonderful news about your blood sugar, baby looking perfect & your lovely shower.
I'm sorry you've had such a rough go, but it really sounds like you've turned a corner. Yay! :appl:

dragonfly, I hope you had a great time in West Palm. 40 lbs doesn't sound like a huge weight gain to me, especially if you had a lot of nausea & had to eat to feel better! I really hope no one is so inconsiderate as to comment on your weight. Hugs.
Also thanks for reminding us to relax as best we can. Worry can be so all consuming & it's really not good for mom or baby.
Thanks so much for your thoughts on childcare/birthing classes! I've reached out to our hospital about the infant care/feeding/CPR class as that sounds really helpful. I'm not sure if we'll wind up taking a birthing class as well or not. I have a few DVD's from the library to peruse & will go from there.
I'm so sorry about the stressful work situation. I hope things get better soon (or that you can go on leave!)

mia, I'm so sorry the PSD is still so painful. I hope the pregnancy belt helps & that you're able to get some relief. That's very convenient that your OB specializes in pelvic pain. Hopefully she has some great suggestions for you. And the abdominal separation sounds pretty scary too. That's great that swimming has been so helpful. I wish I had a pool nearby!

afm, I did my 3 hour glucose test today. Definitely not a fun way to spend the morning, but I survived it ok. I should get the results on Monday. If you have any normal blood sugar dust, please send it my way!
I'm not super optimistic about the results, but feeling less panicked about the possibility of having GD. I guess it's manageable, right?

Other than that, I've been mostly feeling pretty good, though heartburn/reflux has started (thank heaven for the occasional zantac!)
Belly is growing rapidly & the little one is fairly active, especially when I'm sitting or lying down.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! :wavey:

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Megumic - Here is hoping bubs will flip for you! I know that must be worrisome, especially after #1. I'll be keeping you in my prayers, and I hope you enjoy leave!

Brightspot - I'm sorry about the 1 hour, I bet that is frustrating. I highly recommend birthing class if you can go, we found it incredibly helpful with building confidence for labor, and FI learned a great deal. We also got a great tour of the hospital unit, which was also calming for me..

Pancake - How funny that you are working on renovations, we are in the midst of redoing our downstairs bathroom! We've already finished the upstairs bathroom, and completely re-did the room that is now Wyatt's nursery. The week before last, FI ripped out our vanity, toilet and flooring in the downstairs bathroom and has already laid new tile and painted. We chose this beautiful color from Behr called cup of cocoa for the walls. Next up will be the laundry room but it is going to take some serious cleaning out so I'm thinking it will be when Wyatt's at least a month old.

AFM - No comments on weight last weekend, but it seems to have started an avalanche of edema an water retention in my ankles and feet. :(sad It is bad enough that I had to leave work early today to get them soaked and then elevated because my socks were leaving heavy impressions in my skin. We did have a lovely time and his grandparents were completely surprised by their party. We also got a sweet surprise from one of his extended aunts/uncles (like twice removed). They were so sweet and had gotten the soother and head support for our carseat that I wanted, and I had only met them twice!! I also got to meet one of his cousins who I had never met and we hit it off really well, she's a lot like me in personality, so that was fun. We have decided I will be taking leave at the beginning of July. This ensures that my insurance will hold until the end of July should they not hold my position. My manager asked me point blank if I plan to come back, and I told him I had to consider finding something that paid more if they couldn't give me a raise. The company does not pay competitively at all, and it has a bit of a reputation for not treating its employees well, and I've seen that. So I am going to be job hunting while on leave, and hopefully I'll get in with another medical practice part time and be a student part time.

Ok, enough novella. Hope you ladies all have had a lovely week and that your weekend is fantastic!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I feel like a few years ago Belly Pic Friday was a thing. I say we resurrect it! I'll be the first brave soul to post. Don't leave me hanging!

I don't think I've posted a picture from mobile so hopefully this isn't skewed or giant.

ETA This is at 30w5d.
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1402714303047.jpg[/attachment]

uploadfromtaptalk1402714303047.jpg

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Hi ladies! FTMs I hope you guys are checking out the discussion that's going on right now on JBP thread. It's about not feeling that instant bonding/love with your newborn. I think it might be helpful for you guys to know that it is totally normal to not be head over heels in the beginning.

Megumic- Thanks for updating us! I'm sorry #2 is breech too. :(sad Have you considered scheduling a repeat c-section? I know your first was very traumatizing, but scheduled c-sections usually go much much smoother. My concern with the two options you are considering, is that they both can still result in an emergency c-section. A scheduled repeat would probably be the best bet at reducing stress, anxiety and risk of an emergency situation. I can relate though, I am also trying for a VBAC. 99% of the reason I want one is simply for the speedier recovery, so that I can be up and moving ASAP for my toddler DD. But of course there is that 1% of me that wants to have the experience of a regular vaginal delivery. Anyway, I am still really hoping your baby flips in time for labor! Good luck! I'll be thinking of you!

Blacksand- I am so glad you finally got some much needed/deserved good news! Hoping the rest of your pregnancy continues to go as well!

Bright- Sorry you failed the first GTT. I have always heard that there are a lot of women who fail the first one and pass the second. Hoping you are one of them and sending lots of blood sugar dust!!!

Claire-- Look at that beautiful bump! Pregnancy definitely looks good on you! I haven't done any research on the abdominal separation yet. I need to get on it! It sounds like you might have it too but it might be possible that some separation is normal during pregnancy. I am guessing it might lead to back pain because it weakens your core, but luckily that is one pain I do not have and didn't have with DD! I know I told you before but I just love your plan for DS's little "nook" in your room! Make sure you post pics when you are done! I will join you on your resurrection of BPF!

Dragonfly- I'm sorry about the swelling! I was lucky to avoid it during my last pregnancy, but got it so bad from the IV in the hospital. I tried to limit my sodium and drink lots of water and put my feet up whenever I could. That was really sweet that DH's distant relatives thought of you guys. I have new-mom friend who is also working part time and going to school part time at the moment. She really feels like it's the best time in her life to be doing all three together (working , having a new baby, and school). She prefers her current arrangement to when she was working full time right after her boy was born.

Brown_Eyes- Yay!!! He's here! I am glad it sounds like things are going well and you are adjusting to having two kiddos! How old is DD? Maybe in a little bit when you are up to it, you can post some tips for bringing baby #2 home! Congrats again! 2.5 weeks early?! So lucky!

AFM, 23 weeks today. Same old, same old. PSD is rocking on and I'm managing it okay. I just have my pattern of going absolutely hard one day (outings, cleaning, errands, chasing DD) and then taking the next day off and relaxing around the house. An awesome side effect to this is DD is starting to enjoy cuddling on the couch and taking it easy. She's normally so feisty and busy, I think this will prepare her for when the new baby is here. Pregnancy belt thing comes tomorrow and I am hoping it helps. I've read a lot of mixed reviews, including a study that found no difference in women who wore/did not wear the belt in conjunction with PT. PT sounds great but unless I can take my kid to the appointments, I'm just not going to want to deal with the hassle.

I wish I had something else to talk about besides my boring PSD....

I can tell you a cute story about my DD. She's only 15 months so we try not to make a big deal about the new baby. I mention it if it comes up (she pulls out pacifiers from a drawer and I say "those are baby brother's pacifiers," etc...). But I don't want to confuse her either. So the other day she caught a glimpse of my huge naked preggo belly and looks at me like I'm an alien so I said "oh mommy has a big belly because there is a baby in there." She said "ba-ba" (her attempt at baby) and points at my belly. So I said "yep there's a baby in there" and we move on. But.... for the rest of the day if I said baby (referring to her baby doll) she would run up to me and say "ba-ba" and lift up my dress to look for my baby. By the second or third time she started getting frustrated and cried as if she was disappointed that I was lying to her and there was no baby when she looked! So funny! I caught it on video and I love watching the look of utter disappointment on her face when she checks yet again and there is no baby!

Okay I don't want to leave Clairetek hanging so I will join BPF. Here is my pic from 20 weeks (3 weeks ago). I'm bigger now but haven't taken a more recent pic. I'll post a more current one next week.

20w.jpg

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
You girls look adorable!!!!

Mia - your daughter sounds adorable! It sounds like she'll be excited when the baby does arrive!

So I have a slight vent but it is related to questions to follow.

We had our family shower today for all of my family and SO's family, and, well, I was a touch disappointed. We got some really great things from his mom, my mom and direct aunt and my grandparents. But pretty much everything else was clothes or blankets, which we already have a TON of. I had really thought my family might jump into the registries to get some of the things we are really going to need. So that leads to my question. We are still without a pack n play, glider, bottle warmer, bottle sterilizer, hamper, a shelving unit for the nursery, curtains for the nursery, baby food maker, any kind of breastmilk storage, baby food storage, our ergo carrier, orajel, thermometer (besides one of the super old school ones that I cannot read and that I don't trust), mattress saver, extra sheets, orajel... the list goes one.

So what do you think are essential for getting right away vs. months from now or not at all? I am now feeling stressed because we are going to be budgeting pretty tight and I just... I had really thought my family might consider that, vs. getting us even more wardrobe. As my mom said, we'll have to change his clothes every 2 hours just to use all the clothes people have given us. :((

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly-just popping in to say I am sorry to hear that your shower didn't go quite as you expected. As a BTDT mom (who missed her shower b/c I went into labor early , and most of my friends and family live far away and didn't get us anything), here are my tips:

1. I was/am all about selling or returning clothes that I didn't need. That can get you some much needed cash or store credit. Honestly, we maybe used 3-4 hospital onsies, 3-4 sleepers, and 3 -4 outfits for the first 3 months (and E was a January baby in the frigid northeast!).

2. I bought 99% of what we needed from ebay or craigslist and saved thousands of dollars (I have expensive taste and a tiny budget, what can I say? :cheeky: ) We are saving some things for our hypothetical third child, but everything else I sell or give to friends...we live in a tiny NYC apt.

3. All you really need is: a way to feed your baby (bottle and/or breast), a safe place for him to sleep, diapers (cloth and/or disposable), and a very few onesies/sleepers, everything else is just to make your life easier. If you keep that in perspective things won't seem quite so overwhelming:)

Having said all of that, of your list, all I would get now are:
-ergo (look for one that is gently used to save $ and you only need to get this now if you are getting it with an insert so you can use from birth...we found a ring sling to be the easiest with E for the first 3-4 months)
-thermometer
-pack n play (only needed if it is the main place your baby will sleep--E has slept in a rock n play since birth and we will likely not switch him to his mini crib until he's 6 months old)
-glider (look for one that is gently used if you really think that you are going to need this--My third trimester obsession was that I was CONVINCED that I had to have a glider but had no $, I finally got a super expensive Dutailier glider for $25 on craigslist...I loved it for the first 2 weeks and then learned how to nurse side lying on my bed and didn't use it again, so we sold it to free up the space)
-a box of lasinoh breastmilk storage bags

things like curtains and hamper for the nursery, you can get regular "non nursery" ones like a $5 clothes basket and basic curtains for now, or look on craigslist/ebay

I wouldn't get a bottle warmer, sterilizer, baby food maker, etc. now (honestly, I wouldn't get any of those items ever as regular household items can do the trick)

it's going to be ok and your baby will be well taken care of, even if you don't have everything that you thought you needed.

My top 6 newborn items are/were:
-Aden and Anais swaddle blankets, one pack of the 47x47 size
-Zutano Booties (these stay on SO much better than socks, are comfy, cute, and really fit E wore 0-3 mo size from birth to 4 months and could have gone longer, but we had the next size)
-MIRACLE BLANKET
-Rock N Play
-Cloth Eez prefold diapers for diapering, burp cloths, super soaker breast pads, etc.
-Coconut oil (works as a great nipple cream, diaper rash cream, stretch mark cream, facial moisturizer, baby moisturizer, cradle cap defense, etc.)

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Congrats brown eyes!

Third trimester just started for me! Belly feels especially heavy today.

28w1d

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
oh, and the nosefrida (E got a cold when he was 1 week old ;( )

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results