shape
carat
color
clarity

Hair too fine for updos? HOT BUNS!!

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
You can accomplish the same thing with socks.

And depending on how you do it, socks make the best messy buns.

Definitely awkward posting "put socks in your hair" in PS.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
there are videos on youtube showing socks being used to make hot buns......LOL!

I've gone over to the French roll as my fail safe dirty hair day hair-do.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
MoZo, THANK YOU for the link to that tutorial! I bought one of these ages ago, and just could not for the life of me figure out how to use it (for the record, I use Victorian hairpins, so if it's too complicated for me ... ), but after watching that video, I finally figured out how to use the weird perforated sphere of a hairball! Now I have a nice fat bun. :lol:

2_fr.jpg

6_fr.jpg

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
That's a nifty tool. I have something that works the same way but without the snap fastener, so it always ends up coming undone.

I like using the donut best, as I like the less perfect, more messy, 'sideswept' effect. Like this -

balletbun.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minidancer|1402500672|3690876 said:
missy|1392480316|3615838 said:
msop04|1392478991|3615822 said:
missy|1392467638|3615765 said:
Wow, it looks amazing! My hair is too fine for good updos and I am going to have to look at this...thanks for sharing!

I love a good bun on the top of the head yanno? And I love the look my dh gets on his face when I ask if he likes my hair that way lol. He hates it but I love asking him what he thinks every time I wear it that way cause for some reason I think his answer might change haha. Maybe it will with this hot bun. :apple:

Here's a link if anyone is not familiar with this product:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctF_PyLJlmE

You should try it -- you'll love it! Thanks for sharing the video too!

It's so funny you mention the way your DH feels about buns -- mine absolutely HATES them. I don't get it... they're so cute! I'm hoping to condition my husband as well. If not, I guess he'll just not like my hair... a lot. LOL ;)) :bigsmile:

LOL I think lots of men hate buns. Did you ever see the King of Queens episode where Carrie starts wearing her hair in a bun and Doug freaks out because he has his HS reunion coming up and he loves Carrie with her hair down and hates her bun with a passion. Hahaha, funny episode! If you didn't catch it and have a spare 19 minutes check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmWcMevDFbY

Really hysterical. :lol:

^ :lol:

For some reason my DF prefers my hair up (I think bc it's long and gets on him). I will have to find one of these Hot Buns asap :)

I did end up ordering the hot bun and tried it once without properly reading/understanding the instructions and had lots of trouble with the fasteners so gave up and then just forgot about it. I will have to find where I put it and try it again. If just to annoy my dh hehehe. He hates buns with a passion usually reserved for things much more worthy IMO.

Circe, MishB, your buns look sophisticated and amazing! :love:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MishB|1402544796|3691397 said:
That's a nifty tool. I have something that works the same way but without the snap fastener, so it always ends up coming undone.

I like using the donut best, as I like the less perfect, more messy, 'sideswept' effect. Like this -

balletbun.jpg

MishB!! I puffy-heart-love these types of buns, but I can never get them to look like that -- or good at all, for that matter. :oops: :| Maybe I will give it another try... yours is sooooo adorable! :love: :love:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="minidancer|1402500672|] My DH likes mine up too -- just doesn't care for buns. :rolleyes: I will say that he likes the thick, pretty bun that Hot Buns can make much much more than my old sloppy "pony-tail-flipped-over" buns of days past. :bigsmile: :lol: [/quote]

Make sure to post photos so we can see your hair in the Hot Buns! :wavey:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1402538990|3691351 said:
MoZo, THANK YOU for the link to that tutorial! I bought one of these ages ago, and just could not for the life of me figure out how to use it (for the record, I use Victorian hairpins, so if it's too complicated for me ... ), but after watching that video, I finally figured out how to use the weird perforated sphere of a hairball! Now I have a nice fat bun. :lol:

Your bun is awesome, Circe!! Is yours with the Hot Buns or another "device" -- HA! Regardless, it looks great -- ya'll have inspired me to give the sock/donut method another try...

BTW, what's a Victorian hairpin? Are they the ones that look like skinny bobby pins that have to be twisted to stay in? ...because I really suck at those. :(( :lol:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I rocked a bun just yesterday... :)

please ignore my messy bathroom and the white sock that made its way into the photo... :lol:

imageuploadedbytapatalk1402596678.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MishB, can you tell us how you get the cute side-swept look?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why do most men dislike buns? I used to never be able to hold my bun up unless I used a million pins and break all my hair sticks (due to having fine thick hair) but once I learned how to do it properly, my bun has held up incredibly well with only a single hair stick. All it took was one trip to Japan to have a saleslady demonstrate it to me!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
My hair is super fine too, but, sadly, also extremely thin. I recently discovered the doughnut things and was absolutely overjoyed that there was finally something I could to do dress up my pathetic mop. I had to buy the mini ones that come in a set of two for pigtail buns, because I don't have enough hair to cover the big ones despite having a decent amount of length. :(sad For that reason I doubt the hot bun thing would work for me…
Anyway, I did a cute low bun the other night and twisted the front strands into a little rope to add to it, then stuck a flower in it. The husband told me it looked cute, and it's almost ridiculous how happy that made me. I've been hating on my hair for YEARS!!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Naturally, I'm jealous of all you ladies with your nice thick buns!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Ohhhh yes, yes, yes!

LOVE buns! So easy to do and it looks awesome!

I do mine with about 6 bobby pins for work almost every day! Takes about three minutes.

screen_shot_2014-06-12_at_4.png

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember|1402604691|3691853 said:
Ohhhh yes, yes, yes!

I do mine with about 6 bobby pins for work almost every day! Takes about three minutes.

That's SUPER CUTE!!! :love: :love: How did you do it?? Love the side swept look!! :appl:

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
msop04|1402595834|3691702 said:

balletbun.jpg

MishB!! I puffy-heart-love these types of buns, but I can never get them to look like that -- or good at all, for that matter. :oops: :| Maybe I will give it another try... yours is sooooo adorable! :love: :love:

That's not me btw, I'm going out tonight and will probably wear it up like this so I will take a photo of mine. Mine is bigger as I have quite thick hair and I use a largish donut, but I think you can get them in various sizes.

This is about the closest tutorial I could get, it's about placement of the hair as you wrap it. Instead of just tucking it under the donut straight, sweep it to the side.

http://kouturekiss.com/hair/the-donut-bun

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Kelli|1402600094|3691786 said:
My hair is super fine too, but, sadly, also extremely thin. I recently discovered the doughnut things and was absolutely overjoyed that there was finally something I could to do dress up my pathetic mop. I had to buy the mini ones that come in a set of two for pigtail buns, because I don't have enough hair to cover the big ones despite having a decent amount of length. :(sad For that reason I doubt the hot bun thing would work for me…
Anyway, I did a cute low bun the other night and twisted the front strands into a little rope to add to it, then stuck a flower in it. The husband told me it looked cute, and it's almost ridiculous how happy that made me. I've been hating on my hair for YEARS!!

Kelli, you can buy bun donuts that have hair on them already! If you can find one that is a closeish match to your own colour, just use that and wrap your own hair around it, it won't matter if some of the donut shows through.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

This is the best thread! Gorgeous PS buns!!!!

Hot bun selfies! :appl:

cheers--Sharon

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
MishB|1402623886|3692060 said:
Kelli|1402600094|3691786 said:

Kelli, you can buy bun donuts that have hair on them already! If you can find one that is a closeish match to your own colour, just use that and wrap your own hair around it, it won't matter if some of the donut shows through.

OH. MY. GAWWWWD. WHERE????!!!!

Must go search the internet!!

And thank you!! I did not know that!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
msop04|1402607447|3691884 said:
Autumnovember|1402604691|3691853 said:
Ohhhh yes, yes, yes!

That's SUPER CUTE!!! :love: :love: How did you do it?? Love the side swept look!! :appl:

It's one of those things that are so easy to do but so hard to explain so I'm gonna have to take some pictures during the process and explain it that way! It takes a little bit of practice but once you get it, its sooooo fast to do :)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just do what AN does and use bobby pins. I put my hair in a high ponytail, spray some hairspray on it, tease it to create some texture, twist, and pin. And then I have to be careful getting in and out of my car. ;))

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Here's ma bun! Monarch, I've done that before, knocked it on the door frame getting in the car and had to go back inside and redo it!

bun.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mish, I totally forgot to respond to you--love your bun and wow you have some fierce eyebrows! Looks great.

Here is mine from today. I like mine on the messy side. ;))

_19527.jpg

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I also forgot to respond! Husband took pics for me! I'll post with the steps after work! Monnie, great bun!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great buns Monnie and Mish! Love them! Sophisticated elegance with a carefree Breakfast at Tiffany's attitude. :sun:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MishB|1402623551|3692053 said:
msop04|1402595834|3691702 said:

balletbun.jpg

That's not me btw, I'm going out tonight and will probably wear it up like this so I will take a photo of mine. Mine is bigger as I have quite thick hair and I use a largish donut, but I think you can get them in various sizes.

This is about the closest tutorial I could get, it's about placement of the hair as you wrap it. Instead of just tucking it under the donut straight, sweep it to the side.

http://kouturekiss.com/hair/the-donut-bun

Thanks, MishB!! :))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1403750710|3701248 said:
Mish, I totally forgot to respond to you--love your bun and wow you have some fierce eyebrows! Looks great.

Here is mine from today. I like mine on the messy side. ;))

Super cute, monarch!! :appl: :appl:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember|1403753768|3701268 said:
I also forgot to respond! Husband took pics for me! I'll post with the steps after work! Monnie, great bun!

Awesome! Can't wait to see them! (how crazy is it that I get excited about buns!??.. that my husband hates, btw...) :lol: :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results