shape
carat
color
clarity

James Allen Handmade Tiffany setting arrived. Am I too picky

qqkuna

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! My fiancé just proposed to me last week, the ring is James Allen handmade Tiffany solitaire setting. I love how the prongs are so delicate and I fell in love with it immediately! However, after a week, I start having doubts about the setting. I want to ask you guys, do you think the ring is set a bit low? I also wish the knife edge would be a bit more pronounced like the Vatche or Whiteflash version. In some pictures the knife edge look a bit more obvious then others which don't look knife edge at all...

photo_3__3_2.jpg

photo_2__3_3.jpg

photo_1__3_5.jpg

photo_4__1_3.jpg

qqkuna

Rough_Rock
Re: James Allen Handmade Tiffany setting arrived. Am I too p

As you can see in this picture. The ring almost looks half round.

photo__5_15.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it's gorgeous but I don't need to wear it. I like the height of the setting. Knife edge hurts on me so semi knife edge looks like the perfect solution. JA should be very helpful with whatever changes you want.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think your ring and diamond look great. I'm with AprilBaby in that I find knife edge rings uncomfortable and I think the setting is fine. I like as low profile settings as I can get since I am klutzy.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it's GORG -- but again, I'm not the one wearing it. I tend to gravitate toward higher settings, so it would be a bit low for my taste, but... that's how Tiffany sets them too.

Here is a comparison of your JA and the T&C. Keep in mind that the T&Co is shown with a 2.1 carat and is set in a smallish sized ring (I'm guessing 5, but no larger than 6). The larger the stone, the higher it has to be set due to the depth. The smaller the ring size, the larger the stone will look and the higher the setting will appear to be. So, with the exception of the softer knife edge, I'd say JA set the stone at the same height as the Tiffany original. Gosh, that was wordy -- sorry! :oops: :bigsmile:

ja_0.jpg
tiffany_6.jpg

I also like a more pronounced knife edge, so I would want that as well. That said, you may want to call JA and see if they can help you out. I don't think it would be a big deal at all. :)) Best of luck to you!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it's perfect!! The real Tiffany setting doesn't have a sharp knife edge, it's more rounded just like the JA.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Laila619|1402613218|3691938 said:
I think it's perfect!! The real Tiffany setting doesn't have a sharp knife edge, it's more rounded just like the JA.

I went back and looked at the JA and noticed that it had a knife edge like the Tiffany -- maybe it was just the angle of the photo that made it looked more rounded off?? :confused:

I love a 6 prong solitaire!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

I think it's up to u. If it bothers u now, I would get it addressed sooner than later

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

It's really stunning. I wouldn't change a thing (but maybe start a collection of fabulous stackers to pair with it to keep things exciting...).

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love it too! I think a sharp knife edge setting would be hard to wear and not so comfortable. I love how the prongs swoop out around the stone - I really think it's perfect.

However, it's your ring and it needs to be to your taste. If you're not happy, call JA and ask about modifications or a possible setting change.

qqkuna

Rough_Rock

Thank you everyone! I just chatted with JA and they said they can't do the modification...but they accept the return. I think I will keep setting in this case .

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock

It's very beautiful :love: :love:

Orchid Lei

Shiny_Rock

I think it's stunning the way it is!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

Maybe I'm just a klutz but I would not want my diamond any higher. It would constantly wear a halo of fuzzy fibers from everything I would catch it on. It's BEAUTIFUL.

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock

I think it looks excellent on your finger and I prefer a setting that's lower so it won't get knocked around with your daily activities.... but it's your ring and I'm not you so if something just doesn't feel right, change it!

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock

I love it! Such a classic look that really showcases the diamond! I think JA did a great job. I own the Vatche version, it is slightly more knife edged than the looks of the JA one. You have to love it and wear it though!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Sorry, I am a dissenter on the "it looks great" comments. If the culet is not viewable from the side, it's not high enough. So for me, based on those photos it's definitely too low, in my opinion and I'll just say it: if that was for me, it would have been returned within minutes of opening it because it would not have met my expectations or requirements. If nothing else, cleaning around the stone is problematic with something that low set. The actual Tiffany setting is also too low for my requirements as well, to be clear.

I do think the shank is actually nice as it is, though. The more pronounced that edge gets, the more uncomfortable it will be when you grip something and your fingers press together.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Is it too low is only a question you can answer. It's not too low for me - I like my diamonds set as low as possible - most comfortable and less banging my ring on things.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I think it looks beautiful the way it is.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Personally? I love it .. it's perfect.. but if you don't like it.. fix it or reset it.. :)

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock

Rosebloom|1402615510|3691967 said:
It's really stunning. I wouldn't change a thing (but maybe start a collection of fabulous stackers to pair with it to keep things exciting...).

+1 to getting some awesome stacking bands

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

I can't wear high set rings. they knock on everything, and are covered in fibers from my pockets. Although to me they are prettier.

I love your ring, but it is your ring. maybe wear it for a few weeks and if you are still unhappy switch.

qqkuna

Rough_Rock

Thank you all wonderful ladies! I have decided to keep it. For anyone who is interested in the JA version Tiffany solitaire, I do think its a very close replica to the original one!

jewels2

Shiny_Rock

I have that same setting from JA and my first thought was that it was too low also, actually the way I described it was "squatty". I have had my ring for about a year but I hope to get a new setting one day. If you are not happy with it and can return/exchange then I would suggest doing so .

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

As Ame said, just be certain you can reach the sides of the stones to clean it with a brush. That can be a pain when a diamond is set too low. I think your setting looks nice, but the Vatche is more medium height and I can clean my diamond easily. The knife edge is not uncomfortable because once you get a wedding band, you can't even feel the shank of the e-ring anymore since it is next to another ring. If you love it, then keep it. But if you think it is too low, then certainly don't settle when you can return it for a refund.

Here's a pic of the Vatche with a 1.5 ct stone (before I reset a larger stone)..

img_4878.jpg

laylah

Rough_Rock

I really love a lower set ring and yours is absolutely exquisite!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

It is a lovely ring. Truly.

.....what "look" are you aiming for? By "higher" are you thinking it will appear larger? :confused:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love that setting.

Buy what makes you happy, though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results