shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm a wreck- Oreo was injured this morning

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: Vet is on the way. House calls? Who knew! Massively expensive, don't even care. Oreo won't have to be put in the carrier, be in the car, or deal with other animals being noisy. Princess deserves the best :lol:

SO is on his way as well. I feel better knowing care is on the way.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hoping for a positive response! Wonder if she will ever jump up on the countertop again?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm hoping for an update with good news. I'm very sorry this happened. Our vet only does house calls.

Deb
:wavey:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As bad as I feel for Oreo (that's a long time to be in that much discomfort), I feel worse for you, Mama. :(sad :blackeye: You've probably been going around in circles, not knowing what to do or say or how to provide comfort. But it sounds like you handled it like a champ, and if Oreo ever had doubts about whether you were the right people for her (doubt it though), she sure doesn't any more. What a calm and nurturing job it sounds like you've done just being there with her all day. Here's to nothing but positive news.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Elliot86|1402609747|3691909 said:
Update: Vet is on the way. House calls? Who knew! Massively expensive, don't even care. Oreo won't have to be put in the carrier, be in the car, or deal with other animals being noisy. Princess deserves the best :lol:

I'm feeling sorry for all of you right now because I am fully aware how hard it is to watch your pet suffer and not be able to help her . As a long time kitty lover, I have had my share of fears and tears. Oreo is the family baby; therefore, cost is not the concern here. I'd scrub floors to raise the money to cure my old baby.

I hope that the vet has magic powers and I'll add a truckload of *dust* to that to make sure that your sweet baby can be fixed up as good as new as quickly as possible. :wavey:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
All day Ive been hoping for a happy update. It is so awful when a pet gets injured; we can't just ask them where it is or how bad. Murry once got his nail wedged in between the boards of a bench, then panicked and fell off, leaving the nail where it was wedged!! I went nuts, carried him bleeding to a cab that someone kindly hailed for us, and straight to the vet we went. I, the human, was far more upset than the injured one. I do hope to hear good news about 0reo this evening.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update:
No break, no dislocation, horrible sprain. The vet did something that prompted Oreo to spread out her toes and she can, which is a good sign. It hurts to put weight on her leg but it isn't dragging, dangling, or out of place. She cried out in pain when the injured area was touched, so unfortunately it is cage rest for the next few weeks :(sad

She's wrapped and resting now (sedated) in her box bed. I carried her over to it and she gave out the most pathetic exhausted meow. She has to go back to the office for an xray in a day or so but we at least have the luxury of time to allow her to calm down.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've checked this post 10 times today hoping for some good news regarding Oreo. I'm so sorry your family has to go thru this. Hugs

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Fast healing and good vibes to all of you and pets for Oreo!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poor baby.
Glad it's not worse.

I think Oreo deserves some of her favorite foods. :lickout:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
WheW!!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all so much for the comfort and advice. PSers have been with Oreo since day one, I am extremely thankful I had an outlet today!

If I ever catch her on the counter again she is so grounded!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I'm SO GLAD to hear it's not worse! Poor little girl -- and poor you & SO. I bet you'll all 3 sleep well tonight -- from exhaustion & relief. Oreo will get well & be her old happy self again, and you will be your happy selves too. You are just the family she wished for, I'm sure of that. Please keep us updated on her progress! And give her a whole bunch of hugs from all of us. Keep a lot for yourselves too.

--- Laurie

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oreo is ok :appl: so glad to hear that...hope with lots of rest and love and treats she's back to her old self soon.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope she is going to be O.K, I had a much loved cat when I was a child that got hit by a car that had to have one of his back legs amputated and he adapted surprisingly well, his tail was also effectively dead but he used the weight of it to balance when he walked or ran.......

Cats are amazingly resilient creatures. Lots of positive wishes for both of you!!!!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I am glad it is just a sprain, and no dislocation or broken bones. Still sad she is in pain. You and your SO have been such angels to little Oreo, she is lucky to have you guys

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So happy to hear the good news about Oreo!!! I'm so glad you are able to keep her home tonight.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1402616386|3691979 said:
Thank you all so much for the comfort and advice. PSers have been with Oreo since day one, I am extremely thankful I had an outlet today!

To put it in perspective, many of us are grateful that Oreo came into your life so that she could come into ours. :))

As to grounding her, I'd like to see you try - now that would be a sight!

One question: how does the vet know its just a bad sprain and not something torn in there? Sorry to be the worry wort in the crowd.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm on a business trip. Glanced at my phone saw the title and couldn't bring myself to open the thread until I got to the hotel.. :(sad .. I'm so glad Oreo will be ok!! 8)

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1402618660|3692005 said:
Elliot86|1402616386|3691979 said:

To put it in perspective, many of us are grateful that Oreo came into your life so that she could come into ours. :))

As to grounding her, I'd like to see you try - now that would be a sight!

One question: how does the vet know its just a bad sprain and not something torn in there? Sorry to be the worry wort in the crowd.

That is a good question, I really have no idea. It astounds me the things vets can tell by a squeeze or glance. Since this was a house call it was stressed to me that this is a "Lets rule things out" visit but she will absolutely still need an xray. That will require an office visit. I think that is what reveals tearing and fractures (?) However I was surprised because I assumed most vets would recommend surgery right away, but I was advised that sometimes with cats it is actually preferable to simpy enforce cage rest if the injury will not prove disabling. If it turns out this is just the strain and not something deeper, she will really just be resting and maybe a short period of bandaging as long as she doesn't chew it all off!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Elliott, I am so glad that she didn't require surgery! I bet you won't have to ground her, she will have lots of time to think about how she got injured. She will probably hesitate before getting on the counter again! Poor baby!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot,
I have been following the whole Oreo saga since you found her, and you are a real Angel for taking in this kitty, and being so good to her.
I wish all pet owners were so responsible and devoted!
We recently lost one of our beloved cats, and I am still heartbroken, but seeing photos and reading about the lovely Oreo made me smile through it all.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
So sorry this happened. I really know how you feel. Many years ago I accidentally broke Margaret's leg.(kitty) I still feel terrible about it.
Hope Oreo recovers quickly. Remember, you and your husband saved her life. She knows no one meant to harm her.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so relieved for you all!!! I logged in tonight just to make sure she is OK and I am so happy for sweet Oreo and for you guys as well. :appl: :appl: :appl:

Our Tommy broke his tail a few years ago jumping from the top of the stereo knocking it onto his tail. Anyway, he hid and it was an awful experience. We couldn't get him and then he came for food later when he got hungry and left a blood trail all the way. We rushed him to the nearest 24 hour animal emergency hospital which wasn't that close cause we were away and not in NYC when this happened. He had to wear the "cone of silence" for a few weeks I believe so he wouldn't try to get the cast/bandages off the tail. In any case I share this with you to let you know he fully recovered (emotionally and physically) and is a happy kitty with no memory of that traumatic experience. So hugs and wishing Oreo a speedy and uneventful recovery!

Adding a pic right after we got back that night from the animal hospital. Poor sweetie. He's none the worse for wear and neither will be Oreo. (((Hugs))).

tommy_s_cone_of_1.jpg

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Elliot - I normally lurk on hangout but I followed your ENTIRE thread on Oreo and loved the daily pictures and updates. It was such a heart warming thread! I am a huge cat lover with 3 myself and they are so special to me and my DH! I literally teared up when I saw this thread today so had to chime in with well wishes for Oreo! I am so sorry about the accident and I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking about you and Oreo! It sounds like everything is ok, thank goodness! I certainly will follow the progress and hope for a speedy recovery!!!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elliot86|1402609747|3691909 said:

I LOVE you, Elliot! Oreo will be ok...and I love your SO as well: any guy with tears in his eyes over a kitty is A_ok in my book. your SO is not to blame: please tell him from me.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope we hear good news soon!!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm glad Oreo will be ok, Elliot. It's hard keeping a cat still so she can rest, but putting her in a crate sounds like a good plan. I hope she begins to feel better soon.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all so much. This is so weird, I have become used to Oreo waking me up in the morning or sitting on my lap during the news but today she is quietly curled up in her cardboard crate. Every once in a while I see little ears stick up and then she goes back to sleep.

I really hope she is back to her active self soon. Seeing her so still doesn't feel right at all ;(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot, continuing to send good thoughts and healing vibes her way. I hope she starts feeling much better very soon. ::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results