shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of seeing nurse practitioners?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kelinas|1402095795|3688164 said:
Hmmm itchy dyshidrotic eczema or skin cancer? Decisions decisions.

hahah Yes. That is exactly how I feel sometimes.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1402325297|3689387 said:
when I make an appointment I would expect to be told if it was with a dr or with a NP.
I would not like being called a week before and told my dr appointment was now rescheduled with an NP
I would not like to show up for a dr appointment and be seen by an NP.
HOWEVER, for many thing I have no problem with seeing an NP! but I want to make that choice AT THE TIME I MAKE THE APPOINTMENT.
not being told until a week before or when the NP walked in the door? I would question the medical office and its practices and wouldn't be giving them my business.

Funny you say that MZ becasue I actually THANKED the person that called me for letting me know ahead of time (even though it was only a few days) only because I came from a WORSE experience of showing up several times at that other practice and finding out I was seeing an NP! So in my mind, this was an improvement!

But, you're right...and it reminds me that it took me making TWO phone calls - several weeks apart - before someone actually got back to me to make the appointment. The first time I called, I never got a call back.

The thing is, I've tried a few gynecologists in the area and don't like any of them enought to keep going back to them - this place was recommended to me by my manicurist so I'm hoping I like them...we'll see what the experience is like when I go. (Munchkin, I hope this doesn't make an "aunt Bertha!" ::) haha)

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I've been seeing an NP for the last 3 or 4 years. I had an issue a few years ago and tried getting in to see a doctor, but I was told I'd have to wait 2 weeks to see the doctor, or I could get in the next day with the NP. The rest is history! Since then, I've never even tried to get in with the doctor because the NP is so great and competent.

Conversely, I had to go to urgent care a couple of weeks ago (sustained an injury on a weekend and my NP's office was closed) and the doctor I saw was completely useless. I ended up making an appointment with my NP on Tuesday of that week because the urgent care doc was so bad.

My MIL is also an NP, and her patients just adore her. She recently relocated her practice and a lot of her patients will make a 40 minute drive just to continue seeing her.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I make a dr. appointment, I would hope to see a doctor. The other day I went in because I've been having problems sleeping, but instead of a dr., a nurse practitioner came in, and she wouldn't prescribe the medication I wanted so now I have to go in AGAIN specifically to see a dr.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like getting referrals from friends and family. Some NPs are good, some are not. Same with MDs. When in doubt I pick the doctor. I work with a lot of nurses and while I would totally trust many of them, overall, I just feel more comfortable with someone with more education/experience. I have also decided to no longer let students/residents shadow my care. I used to feel guilty but now that I work with them as well, I prefer to only deal with my provider. Many people don't know you can decline having students involved.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tacori E-ring|1402520884|3691170 said:
I like getting referrals from friends and family. Some NPs are good, some are not. Same with MDs. When in doubt I pick the doctor. I work with a lot of nurses and while I would totally trust many of them, overall, I just feel more comfortable with someone with more education/experience. I have also decided to no longer let students/residents shadow my care. I used to feel guilty but now that I work with them as well, I prefer to only deal with my provider. Many people don't know you can decline having students involved.

Interesting Tacori - I never thought of doing that or knew that I could do that...if you don't mind sharing, what is the reason behind not allowing it? Do they have a say in your care, is it a privacy thing, or something else?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results