shape
carat
color
clarity

Oil Pulling - how to stop the gag reflex?!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone tried this? Some people rave about its health benefits.

But I just CANNOT stop wanting to gag!! :sick:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I have tried this and only the first few times I wanted to gag, but after that it was a breeze. I just did it while surfing the net and was pretty much distracted while doing it.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did it a few times and didn't have a gag reflex. I swished about a tablespoon of sesame oil in the same way I do with water after brushing my teeth, but for longer. I like the flavor of sesame oil. I don't know what kind of oil you are using now, but you could try switching to a type you think tastes better.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
oil pulling?? ...off to google I go

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lknvrb4|1402223689|3688751 said:
I have tried this and only the first few times I wanted to gag, but after that it was a breeze. I just did it while surfing the net and was pretty much distracted while doing it.

Glad to hear it gets better. I was almost sick for about an hour afterwards. :sick:

Have you noticed any health benefits?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mary poppins|1402226411|3688759 said:
I did it a few times and didn't have a gag reflex. I swished about a tablespoon of sesame oil in the same way I do with water after brushing my teeth, but for longer. I like the flavor of sesame oil. I don't know what kind of oil you are using now, but you could try switching to a type you think tastes better.

I tried sesame oil b/c I lik(ed) the flavour, but now am soooo off it! And it was just the once! ;(

I might try a lighter olive oil tomorrow but hope that it wouldn't put me off olive oil b/c I use it a lot in cooking and salad dressings.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LaraOnline|1402230436|3688773 said:
oil pulling?? ...off to google I go

I only came across it yesterday and have been reading up on it.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I brushed my teeth after posting earlier in the thread and realized post-brush rinsing isn't exactly what I did while oil pulling.

To figure out the difference, I had an oil pulling session while cooking breakfast. In addition to swishing like post-brush rinsing, I also push the oil to the outside of my teeth, then suck it through to the inside of my teeth, and squish the oil between the first two-thirds of my tongue and the top of my mouth. I keep the back of my mouth closed, so the oil doesn't get to my throat or much to the back of my tongue.

In addition to using an oil you like, perhaps you won't gag if you can keep the oil from touching your throat and the back of your tongue. Maybe it would help to practice with water first.

The sesame oil is so tasty that I might start oil pulling again. Yum, yum. I found the practice hard to maintain because I didn't see any results, but I only did it for a short time and didn't have any specific ailments. Plus, so many other things to do during the morning routine that this was the first to be cut if I was short on time.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix|1402232570|3688784 said:
mary poppins|1402226411|3688759 said:

I tried sesame oil b/c I lik(ed) the flavour, but now am soooo off it! And it was just the once! ;(

I might try a lighter olive oil tomorrow but hope that it wouldn't put me off olive oil b/c I use it a lot in cooking and salad dressings.

Coconut or sunflower oil are light and tasty.

I didn't notice any health benefits because I didn't have a specific health problem I was trying to alleviate, and also didn't engage in the practice enough to notice any general health changes.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Mary Poppins.

They do say that you'd have to try for a while first before you notice any health benefits. Amongst the benefits listed, teeth whitening is claimed to be one. I wouldn't mind having whiter teeth and generally better health, dental or otherwise. :))

Thanks for the suggestion about keeping the oil to the front of the mouth and not let it get to the back of the throat. That makes sense.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I'm skeptical of any product/process that claims to "detox' the body, so oil pulling is no different. At least there are no known health hazards associated with it, so if folks want to try it, they can do so with little to no harm. There's no formal, scientific evidence to back it up, so it's not something that I'm interested in trying. In terms of the gag reflex, it's not uncommon, but I would take that as an indication that maybe it's not something that's right for you.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/homecure/oilpulling.asp

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
+1, Momhappy. There's a new "silver bullet" for health every week.

--- Laurie

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1402241374|3688845 said:

--- Laurie

Yes, if "detoxing" your body was that easy - think of how healthy we would all be ;-)

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oil pulling is not new. It is well practiced by many and part of Ayurvedic medicine. Just like Chinese medicine has it's many practices and benefits so does Ayurveda. It's just not Western Medicine.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^No one said that it was new. Even things that have been around for a while, can come and go (fads). Yes, oil pulling has been practiced for a long time and was made mainstream (here) in the early 90's (by a doctor/oncologist I believe?). However, there still remains no credible scientific evidence to support the health claims despite it's popularity.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1402253997|3688918 said:
JewelFreak|1402241374|3688845 said:

--- Laurie

Yes, if "detoxing" your body was that easy - think of how healthy we would all be ;-)

+2... other than coating the mouth and/or chance of absorbing a very small amount of the oil by accidental ingestion, there have been no studies showing a mechanism of action that would lead to any health benefits... but, like momhappy stated, it's not harmful, so no biggie. :lol: :lol:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I read somewhere (?) that there is some scientific evidence that it cuts down on the load of HACEK bugs in your mouth, in addition to the normal S. mutans, Viridans et al. With the biofilms they make, there is a possibility this is true, hydrophobic interactions and all that. If nothing else, it is forced additional mouth hygiene (even if the result could be replicatd with water instead of oil). Your mouth health can be directly linked to cardiovascular health - I think there's a real chance oil pulling could be advantageous for one's health. Just because a link hasn't been formally written up yet does not mean it doesn't exist.

Edit: I want to be clear that I don't think this is a cure all method that is going to be splashed about by the NEJ of Med anytime soon. I just am uncertain of how many individuals have attempted scientific studies, and the thought process behind it is actually sound, from a bacteriology point of view (I'm not touch the 'detox' issue - I think ALL detox is a load of crap). Perhaps I will do my own personal investigations. :bigsmile:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix, your thread is so timely for me, thank you!

Warning:Threadjack so I hope you don't mind and for anyone not interested please skip my post.

I was just diagnosed with another health concern-thrush. Can you believe it? My doctor said my immune system (for some reason and we don't know why yet) is so run down that I am just getting everything. :(( We started vacation 9 days ago and 2 days into vacation I came down with an upper respiratory infection that caused a laryngitis (I never had laryngitis before) and after 5 days of just getting worse and then 2 days of nonstop coughing I went to urgent care (still away so I don't have an internist around here).

I also saw the white coating on my tongue the night before we went to urgent care so I wanted to get that checked out as I thought it could be thrush. And the urgent care doctor agreed. Anyway she put me on Nystatin oral rinse (as well as Z pac because my upper respiratory was not getting better) and so far no difference on the thrush but I do feel a bit better re upper respiratory and my voice is somewhat back though the coughing is unrelenting at times. So sorry for the threadjack(!!!!) but just wanted to thank you for this thread.

I never heard of oil pulling and after reading about it in your thread I am going to try it. I just hope it is OK to do with the Nystatin rinse. I am seeing my internist when we get back next week but I know he will brush the oil pulling aside as he doesn't really believe in ayurvedic remedies.

Thank you Phoenix and please let us know how it goes with you.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1402313393|3689267 said:
Phoenix, your thread is so timely for me, thank you!

Warning:Threadjack so I hope you don't mind and for anyone not interested please skip my post.

I was just diagnosed with another health concern-thrush. Can you believe it? My doctor said my immune system (for some reason and we don't know why yet) is so run down that I am just getting everything. :(( We started vacation 9 days ago and 2 days into vacation I came down with an upper respiratory infection that caused a laryngitis (I never had laryngitis before) and after 5 days of just getting worse and then 2 days of nonstop coughing I went to urgent care (still away so I don't have an internist around here).

I also saw the white coating on my tongue the night before we went to urgent care so I wanted to get that checked out as I thought it could be thrush. And the urgent care doctor agreed. Anyway she put me on Nystatin oral rinse (as well as Z pac because my upper respiratory was not getting better) and so far no difference on the thrush but I do feel a bit better re upper respiratory and my voice is somewhat back though the coughing is unrelenting at times. So sorry for the threadjack(!!!!) but just wanted to thank you for this thread.

I never heard of oil pulling and after reading about it in your thread I am going to try it. I just hope it is OK to do with the Nystatin rinse. I am seeing my internist when we get back next week but I know he will brush the oil pulling aside as he doesn't really believe in ayurvedic remedies.

Thank you Phoenix and please let us know how it goes with you.

Missy, I've been thinking about you and wondering how you've been doing. I'm sorry you have new health concerns. My immune system is somewhat compromised too since I have Hashimoto's - very mild, but enough to cause me some issues. One of the issues which I don't doubt is related, if not caused by, my Hashimoto's is a tendency to have thrush and constipation. My gynae and my gastro dr have both prescribed super-strong probiotics. I think you can get the same strength from a health food store. It's really helped me. Maybe you could look into this? Probiotics are supplements and can only help and do not cause any harm, as far as I'm aware.

As for oil-pulling, again I'm going to try it but maybe re-start at the weekend with a milder oil. I don't want to risk gagging on a weekday. I know there's no (or not sufficient) scientific back-up for its health benefits; but what the heck it's not going to cause any harm.

I'm a huge believer in non-traditional/ non-Western medication and treatments. I've had extremely severe PMS cured (yes, cured) by Chinese herbal medication. Some friends have had some other issues alleviated by acupuncture. I've not tried any fasting detox (primarily b/c I'm always hungry :wacko: ) but I would do it if I could. I may look into Chinese herbal medicines for some other "stuff". It might be worthwhile for you to look into these things, if you haven't already. Just be aware though, if you take Chinese medicines you might not be able to take some other Western medicines. And make sure you go to a reputable one, particularly one that's been recommended by friends.

Sending you huge {{{HUGS}}}, Missy and hope you get some answers soon.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Phoenix. I am so sorry you are also dealing with health issues. It can be very trying and frustrating and even overwhelming at times. My thrush is on my tongue and the Nystatin rinse the doctor prescribed for me isn't doing a thing. And it is full of sugar and I hate taking that into my body 4 times a day especially if there are no positive results. I am also taking a probiotic (have been doing that for 2 months to help my digestive issues) so it is sort of ironic I got a fungal infection on my tongue with all I have been doing during the last few months to get healthy.

What I have just added this week is eating cultured vegetables every day that contains loads of probiotics. Here is a link in case you are interested. I am hopeful these will make a difference for the better.
http://www.culturedvegetables.net/GARDEN-BLEND-Case-of-6-039.htm

I am also a big believer in Eastern medicine and more holistic treatments and I am glad you have experienced so much success with the non traditional treatments. I feel it is the better way to heal ourselves in many cases. Especially in combination at times with the more traditional treatments.

I thought I had been healthy as I always tried to eat well, exercise and be kind to my body. But I guess genetic makeup will only allow one to get so far without intervention. Western medicine has failed me to this point though and I am hopeful I can find answers through other channels.

Thank you so much for thinking of me and for all the good thoughts and hugs. I appreciate that so much Phoenix and am thinking of you as well and sending healing dust and big (((hugs))) your way too!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I missed this thread first time around. I started oil pulling a month or so ago. I went to the dentist and he said I have a filling that was compromised. I remembered my daughter telling me about oil pulling, that it will draw the bacteria out of your mouth. I thought, what have I got to loose. So I started, twice a day. After a bout a week I realized, I had not had a single hot flash in many days. I had been having crazy bad hot flashes for months. Like 25-30 a day. I kept my bedroom to 70 degrees so I could sleep, my poor husband was freezing to death.

I have yet to have another one since. I am thrilled beyond belief. I feel like I have got my life back again. I haven't had much problem with the gag thing. I don't think I will ever stop.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Luv2sparkle, what kind of oil were you using? I'm curious because I'm having terrible hot flashes as well. I'm tempted to try HRT but I'm worried about long term effects.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1408217845|3733828 said:
I missed this thread first time around. I started oil pulling a month or so ago. I went to the dentist and he said I have a filling that was compromised. I remembered my daughter telling me about oil pulling, that it will draw the bacteria out of your mouth. I thought, what have I got to loose. So I started, twice a day. After a bout a week I realized, I had not had a single hot flash in many days. I had been having crazy bad hot flashes for months. Like 25-30 a day. I kept my bedroom to 70 degrees so I could sleep, my poor husband was freezing to death.

I have yet to have another one since. I am thrilled beyond belief. I feel like I have got my life back again. I haven't had much problem with the gag thing. I don't think I will ever stop.

Luv2sparkle, I hope you come back to this thread. If you have kept this up, are you still finding relief from your hot flashes? Please tell your husband that he should be very grateful the temperature is set at 70 degrees. I turn the heat in our home down to 54 degrees at night. I am dreading summer because I don't think the air conditioning can be set lower than 63 degrees.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
According to the Chicago midwinter dental convention last month, there is no scientific evidence that oil pulling has any beneficial effects on the mouth or throat. If you really want to do it, use coconut oil. At least it tastes good.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think probably does no harm but I rate it right up there with "crystal healing" and other such things.... :liar:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Callicake, I use organic coconut oil. It didn't help my tooth, I did have to have a crown but it did help the hot flashes. I stopped doing it for a while after my dental work and the hot flashes came back. What I have noticed that made a big difference was the oil pulling, cleaning up my diet and a good amount of exercise daily. If I miss the exercise I usually have hot flashes at night. Really get a sweat going.

My gums are a lot healthier with oil pulling, and my teeth are whiter. Just for those two things alone, it is worth it to me.

I buy the coconut oil at Costco.

Also, I would take the dental association data with a grain of salt. I have read that dentists don't like to say it makes a difference, but I have seen the difference in my gums and teeth. I would say it is not a substitute for dental cleaning and work but it has definitely made a difference for me. Any way you can get bacteria out of your mouth is a good thing, and I prefer coconut oil to the chemical mouth rinses. Try it for yourself and see if it works for you.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Luv2sparkle. I will have to give this a try.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1427737067|3854591 said:
Hi Callicake, I use organic coconut oil. It didn't help my tooth, I did have to have a crown but it did help the hot flashes. I stopped doing it for a while after my dental work and the hot flashes came back. What I have noticed that made a big difference was the oil pulling, cleaning up my diet and a good amount of exercise daily. If I miss the exercise I usually have hot flashes at night. Really get a sweat going.

My gums are a lot healthier with oil pulling, and my teeth are whiter. Just for those two things alone, it is worth it to me.

I buy the coconut oil at Costco.

Also, I would take the dental association data with a grain of salt. I have read that dentists don't like to say it makes a difference, but I have seen the difference in my gums and teeth. I would say it is not a substitute for dental cleaning and work but it has definitely made a difference for me. Any way you can get bacteria out of your mouth is a good thing, and I prefer coconut oil to the chemical mouth rinses. Try it for yourself and see if it works for you.

Wow, thanks for this, luv2sparkle. I haven't tried oil pulling since posting this thread but shall look at it again now.

Would you mind doing me a favour and post a pic of the coconut oil? I don't know what kind of coconut oil we can get here in Singapore but it'd be nice to get an idea of what I should look for. Thanks.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here you go, Phoenix. Coconut oil is a solid at lower temps but liquifies easily. I use less than a tablespoon-maybe 3/4 to a half. I usually pull it when I shower because the time passes faster. Hope this helps.

_28467.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1427811478|3855015 said:
Here you go, Phoenix. Coconut oil is a solid at lower temps but liquifies easily. I use less than a tablespoon-maybe 3/4 to a half. I usually pull it when I shower because the time passes faster. Hope this helps.

Wow, thank you sooo much for the pic and the additional infor too, luv2sparkle.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results