shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone had LASIK?

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
If so how was it? What procedure did you have specifically? Recovery? Would you do it again?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I haven't but my BFF just had it. She was hesitant because she has naturally dry eyes and had heard it can make it worse, but she hasn't had any issues. Her recovery was short and she is SO glad she did it, and sort of upset she waited so long.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, but want to. My husband, every time someone says they had it done and love it, comes home and goes on this tangent about how hard it is to do his job w/glasses etc etc and it's suuuuuuch a smart thing to do blah blah blah, it's such an easy recovery...tho his idea of an easy recovery is SO different than mine. I know it will be me taking care of him for three days b/c uuuuugh jeez my eyes...

One of my coworkers went for a consult and said she almost couldn't sit thru just talking about it b/c it freaked her out so much. She can at least put contacts in her eyes. I can't get my brain to function if I see someone messing w/their eyes so not sure how I'd do during an eye procedure.

Everyone I know who's had it done loves it and is thrilled. One person had it done 10 years ago and either needs to have a "touch up" or get a slight prescription in glasses. So I don't know if it's different now, or she just had really bad eyes that it didn't last long...or maybe it's something you need to redo now and again?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My grandfather had both eyes done and is thrilled. Recovery was no problem. He sees better now without glasses than he did before with them. If I remember correctly, he had one done at a time and did it a couple of weeks apart. I don't recall how they dealt with glasses and all that during the time he had one eye fixed but not the other...

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did, amc, on my left eye.

I remember a pretty speedy recovery (the first day I think I just slept a lot.) I had been warned that sometimes you feel like a grain of sand in your eye (which would suck) but I did not experience that, or if I did (it was a while ago) it was very very mild.

I see way better now - at one time my right eye was the dominant one - I can now see better both near and far from the left eye.

I also have a cousin who did it, both eyes, and he's very happy with the results also.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1401898193|3686378 said:
One person had it done 10 years ago and either needs to have a "touch up" or get a slight prescription in glasses. So I don't know if it's different now, or she just had really bad eyes that it didn't last long...or maybe it's something you need to redo now and again?
Does she now need reading glasses?

Laser surgery can't protect from the effects of age on the eyes, which is usually a hardening of the lens which means the muscles can't squeeze it to change shape to let you see near-distance things clearly, as I understand it.

You could look at lens replacement, the same procedure as when cataracts are removed - I believe it's around the same price as laser surgery and I think the lenses they can replace with are flexible and also enable UV-filtering-out, which will stop UV damage to the back of the eye and hopefully mean you can still focus near-sighted in the future.

(Note: I am not an expert, this is just what I can recall reading and may well be wrong!)

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I did about 7 years ago. I remember some discomfort during the proscedure - like pressure, but it was very quick. I think the most memorable aspect of recovery/procedure was going w/o any make-up for a while.
I had both eyes done for nearsightedness. I have had no issues and I'd do it again. I hated contacts and was tired of glasses. It was fabulous to wake up the next day and see the alarm clock perfectly.
I sort of take good vision for granted now, but it was incredible.

Boatluvr

Shiny_Rock
I had a radial keratotomy (sp?) in 1992; it was the predecessor of LASIK, which is done with a laser beam I believe. The doctor actually used a scalpel to make incisions that changed the shape of my corneas. I was very near sighted but the operation worked and recovery time (basically overnight) was minimal. My sister had LASIK about ten years ago and now wears glasses - it did not last. There are actually different types of LASIK and depending on your eyes you may need something more than the 'basic' procedure. It's best to have your eyes evaluated and make a decision from there.

As someone who had worn hard contact lenses for over 25 years I did not have much of a choice. I really could not 'see' with glasses because hard contacts shape (or misshape) your corneas, making it difficult, if not impossible, to switch as needed. I highly recommend having it done - there is nothing like waking up in the morning and being able to see clear across the room (or go make coffee) without putting in/on contacts or glasses. The risk is minimal.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had PRK a few years ago. I couldn't have RK or lasik because my lenses were too thin. I won't lie, the recovery lasted about 5 days and I was miserable. It also took about a month before I was able to see very well. It was worth it in the end though. Before the surgery, I had to have my contacts or lenses to do anything. After the surgery my vision was 20/20.

My ex had lasik and was able to see and felt great the next day. He used drops several times a day for a couple of weeks but the recovery was minimal.

I'm in my late 40's now so I do require reading glasses to read but I can still do everything else without my glasses. It is so nice to wake up and be able to see!

My only regret is that I waited so long before doing it.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
All four of my nieces and nephews had it done. I never did partly because I am a poor candidate for it. I wear soft contacts, I have -15 prescription for both eyes (so nearsighted that I am "almost blind" and the contacts comfortably correct me to a 20/10 to 20/20 range. I was told with surgery I'd still need some correction and being glaucoma-suspect, not good either. Everybody I know who has had LASIK loves the results.

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
I just got It Done on May 19th.

I had the all laser iFS LASIK done. I had my procedure done while I was in Korea. If I had more time, I would have done Lasek instead of LASIK but only because it is more stable.

I went in at 930 am, and by 11 am, the surgeon had my eye test results in hand and we were doing the consult. By 1120, I was laying down with numbing drops in my eyes.

There was NO pain! Only pressure, and EXTREME photosensitivity. Went home (which was interesting) slept for 5 hours and felt amazing.

I went back the next day, had the protective lens taken off and received more eye drops.

2,5 weeks post LASIK, I wonder why I waited so long to do this!

And of course, one cannot beat the price of getting it done in Korea!

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
I posted this reply on the subject of Lasik a few months backs, and I'm too lazy to retype. Cut n paste:

"I had Lasik years ago, after my ophthalmologist put his foot down and forbade me from wearing contacts ever again because my eyes are extremely sensitive. Five minutes on each eye, if that, and done. Two hours later, I was transfixed by the sight of individual leaves on trees....

Do be careful, however, driving at night for about a year afterwards. You may see halos around lights."

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had both eyes done about 2 years ago. I had one eye optimized for distance and the other for near-vision so I wouldn't need reading glasses. The results are fantastic, and I don't regret it for a minute. I did have the halo problem lioness mentioned - which is more than a little frightening at first (will I never be able to drive at night again???) but within a few weeks it was no longer noticeable for everyday things like driving. I still have the slightest of haloes when I look at the moon or stars at night; not enough to interfere with my enjoyment of the night sky however.

A few notes on my situation: my procedure was overseen by my optometrist of over 30 years, who I trust explicitly. The initial exam with the surgeon indicated that there was plenty of (corneal?) thickness to allow for the procedure and a correction if necessary, which gave me some comfort. I was in my mid-50's at the time, and my vision had been stable for several years, so I was pretty confident I wouldn't be needing supplemental correction for quite a while.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info!

I have a fairly high prescription so I can't do the basic LASIK. I did a few consults and apparently have thick corneas so that's a plus. The plan is to get custom wavefront with intralase to cut the flap, so an all laser procedure. Allegedly doing customized will help with night vision issues.

All of the testimonials in the office are from people the week after surgery. I feel like I need feedback from people years after the procedure.

Real people!

So of course in my world that means ask PS!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had both eyes done about 2 years ago. I had one eye optimized for distance and the other for near-vision so I wouldn't need reading glasses. The results are fantastic, and I don't regret it for a minute. I did have the halo problem lioness mentioned - which is more than a little frightening at first (will I never be able to drive at night again???) but within a few weeks it was no longer noticeable for everyday things like driving. I still have the slightest of haloes when I look at the moon or stars at night; not enough to interfere with my enjoyment of the night sky however.

A few notes on my situation: my procedure was overseen by my optometrist of over 30 years, who I trust explicitly. The initial exam with the surgeon indicated that there was plenty of (corneal?) thickness to allow for the procedure and a correction if necessary, which gave me some comfort. I was in my mid-50's at the time, and my vision had been stable for several years, so I was pretty confident I wouldn't be needing supplemental correction for quite a while.

ETA - I was wondering whether the wavefront would have reduced the night haloes issue! If so, I think I should have sprung for it... it would have been $400 per eye additional when & where I had my eyes done.

4_cs

Shiny_Rock
I had it done 10 years ago. I was severly near sighted. It was great for a while-almost 7 years of good.About 3 years ago my vision started regressing and is worse now than before with additional problems. It is not a permanent procedure. I would not reccomend it and I won't allow any of my children to get it. They are all young adults.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
LASIK in 2008. I always tout it as the best decision I ever made. I was blind as a bat before and had severe astigmatism so even with special contacts, my eyes were just miserable because of the lenses on my eyes, and I worked in a field where it wasn't really practical to wear glasses instead of contacts (plus I didn't want to).

The surgery was SO easy it's laughable. They gave me a valium in the waiting room to calm me. The procedure itself took less than 10 minutes. My friend drove me home and I just slept with the special goggles (with the aid of sleeping pills they gave me) until my follow-up appointment with my eye doctor the next day. At my 24 hour appointment I was already close to 20/20. By the next day I was seeing 20/10 and my astigmatism was also corrected via the surgery. I was 24 at the time if that matters. I was told that the younger the patient, the better the results. My surgery was $3,300 for all visits and medications and includes lifetime "touch-ups" should I need them.

I do have to say that I find night driving to be less pleasant that it was before. I don't have a problem with halos but I do just feel like, well, my headlights aren't quite bright enough. I wish I could see the road a bit better. It doesn't stop me from driving at night but I do notice a difference. That side effect is NOTHING compared to the benefits. I was nervous for many years before surgery and put it off, but now I feel foolish and that I wish I'd done it sooner.

I was told that as I age, I will likely need reading glasses. I fully understand that and am fine with it.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Had it done in 2001. Started wearing glasses to drive last year. I'm 45.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I had lasik done about 6-7 months ago and LOVE it! I developed a weird condition where I had bumps inside my eyelids and was told I can no longer wear contacts, and with a prescription of -8, I was NOT going back to glasses, so I went for it. Worth every penny! The procedure itself was unpleasant, but over quickly. The worst part is the smell - you can smell your eyeballs burning from the laser. But it's still worth it. Painful for the first day, but if you can sleep through it that makes it easier. I had poor night vision and halos around everything for a few months, which was annoying, but that went away at about the 5-6 month point and now my vision is pretty great.

After having terrible vision for most of my life (got glasses at age 9), it's remarkable to just wake up in the morning and be able to see. Even though I wore contacts, there's just something so uplifting about having perfect vision.

I highly recommend it to everyone!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ericad|1401944122|3686833 said:
I had lasik done about 6-7 months ago and LOVE it! I developed a weird condition where I had bumps inside my eyelids and was told I can no longer wear contacts, and with a prescription of -8, I was NOT going back to glasses, so I went for it. Worth every penny! The procedure itself was unpleasant, but over quickly. The worst part is the smell - you can smell your eyeballs burning from the laser. But it's still worth it. Painful for the first day, but if you can sleep through it that makes it easier. I had poor night vision and halos around everything for a few months, which was annoying, but that went away at about the 5-6 month point and now my vision is pretty great.

After having terrible vision for most of my life (got glasses at age 9), it's remarkable to just wake up in the morning and be able to see. Even though I wore contacts, there's just something so uplifting about having perfect vision.

I highly recommend it to everyone!

I am glad someone else pointed out the whole smell thing!!!!! THAT was what freaked me out the most you can small your own flesh burning which is very off putting to say the least and it is fairly uncomfortable, they put pressure on your eyeballs to clamp them in place to make you hold them still...

I still have (and have always had) sketchy vision driving at night, it's been 13+ years since I had both of my eyes done (LASIK). And I had to use drops (dry scratchy eyes for 18 months) but all in all totally worth it. I am another who had contact lenses or glasses forever and then suddenly you wake up with 20/20 daytime vision. In some cases better because I have noticed that people on here that have it done can often see inclusions in diamonds for example that others can't normally see.

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I forgot about the whole "smell of your cornea being vaporized to oblivion" thing. It is rather unnerving.....

As for future need for glasses, my distance vision is still more or less what it was corrected to when I had the procedure done in 2004 but I'm starting to become a bit far-sighted. I'm now the gal who needs to hold medicine bottles at arms-length in order to read the tiny print. My doctor warned me about what, however, so no surprise. One advantage that PSers will appreciate - the world of eye-clean diamonds just became a whole lot bigger for me because I surely can't focus on a tiny black spot inside a sparkly stone at 10 inches. :lol: :lol: :lol:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG Erica, the whole smell your eyeball being burned makes me feel lightheaded.

Ooohshiny, she doesn't wear reading glasses right now. She did say her vision wasn't bad or anything, just that it wasn't as perfect as it was when she'd gotten it done, that she would need reading glasses now and maybe have it redone in a few years. She said she was told that some people just are more prone to needing glasses or something.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My father had Lasik at 51, my sister had Lasik at 23, I had PRK at 20 (we all got it done in the same month in 2000). My father did not have any issues and still claims he has 20/20. My sister has been wearing glasses for the past 5 years. I am in denial and totally need glasses. I was 20/15 post-op. My sister and my night vision for pretty bad. Lasik was a much easier recovery. Took me about two weeks. My eyes were crazy light sensitive for awhile. I think both my sister and I were too young but at the time we got the procedure free since my dad was working at the Cleveland Clinic. I am not interested in getting it again because if my night vision gets any worse I am not sure I would be able to drive at night. I know a few people who got double vision or "halos." There are risks for sure but it has been great being contact/glasses free for the past 14 years.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I had Lasik last summer. I have a astigmatism in both eyes so contacts don't correct 20/20 and I hate wearing glasses. Surgery was nothing, I was in and out within an hour. Recovery wasn't an issue either. Right after surgery I slept for a few hours and was reading books/ watching tv that night without any problem. My only small issue is that my right eye is not 20/20 anymore. I still see 20/20 with both eyes though. I could have it corrected but I moved soon after and didn't want to bother with it as it is still a HUGE improvement over where I was. I only wish I had done it years ago!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results