shape
carat
color
clarity

What where and how do you eat at home?

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
DH and I are "mostly vegetarian"...meaning I don't cook meat at home but we will partake in meat dishes when we eat out when it's something we particularly love (really good BBQ, fresh-caught fish specials, and I can't turn down really good charcuterie!) or if we are at someone's home and it's the only option.

During the week, I leave the house at 5:30 AM for work and DH works from home, so he gives me a kiss goodbye and rolls over and goes back to sleep. I'll pack myself either some muesli, leftover banana walnut pancakes, or some combination of fruity breakfast muffin or bar with greek yogurt; he'll have a bowl of cereal or a KIND bar on his way up to his desk. Weekday lunches are leftovers for me along with some fruit and I pick up a small side salad from our cafeteria if the leftovers weren't plentiful. Hubs will usually have some leftovers, a turkey sandwich, and a PB&J over the course of the afternoon, along with some fruit and a homemade granola bar.

Weekday dinners are cooked from scratch 4 days a week by me, once by hubs (on a night I go to a class at the gym), and eaten together at the dining room table. This week's schedule looks like this:
Monday-Warm Potato and Lentil Salad (smitten kitchen) and cucumbers and carrot sticks with ranch dressing
Tuesday-Lemon and Asparagus Pasta with Pistachios and Mozzarella (joy the baker, added fresh garden peas)
Wednesday-Homemade Vegetable Lo Mein
Thursday (tonight)-"Pulled" Mushroom BBQ Sandwiches (the artful desperado) with kale salad (smitten kitchen)
Friday-Lentil and Walnut burgers (martha stewart), roasted asparagus, roasted potato wedges

(Hubby got off dinner duty this week because I went to a different class at the gym, but normally Wednesday night would be hasbrowns and eggs, DH's specialty.)

Weekends I cook breakfast Saturday and Sunday. Saturdays during the summer are frittatas with fresh veggies we pick up at the farmer's market that morning. Sundays are banana walnut pancakes with eggs.

Lunch is on our own because we're both usually immersed in some sort of project and just grab something on a break.

Weekend dinner is much like during the week. This Saturday I'm whipping up a batch of chickpea tofu and making our favorite sesame crusted tofu with brown rice and an asian slaw on the side. Sunday is TBD at the moment, but I'm thinking maybe a taco night is overdue!

Mostly organic, mostly from scratch, all delicious, if I do say so myself! :bigsmile:

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
vc10um|1401992949|3687141 said:
DH and I are "mostly vegetarian"...meaning I don't cook meat at home but we will partake in meat dishes when we eat out when it's something we particularly love (really good BBQ, fresh-caught fish specials, and I can't turn down really good charcuterie!) or if we are at someone's home and it's the only option.

During the week, I leave the house at 5:30 AM for work and DH works from home, so he gives me a kiss goodbye and rolls over and goes back to sleep. I'll pack myself either some muesli, leftover banana walnut pancakes, or some combination of fruity breakfast muffin or bar with greek yogurt; he'll have a bowl of cereal or a KIND bar on his way up to his desk. Weekday lunches are leftovers for me along with some fruit and I pick up a small side salad from our cafeteria if the leftovers weren't plentiful. Hubs will usually have some leftovers, a turkey sandwich, and a PB&J over the course of the afternoon, along with some fruit and a homemade granola bar.

Weekday dinners are cooked from scratch 4 days a week by me, once by hubs (on a night I go to a class at the gym), and eaten together at the dining room table. This week's schedule looks like this:
Monday-Warm Potato and Lentil Salad (smitten kitchen) and cucumbers and carrot sticks with ranch dressing
Tuesday-Lemon and Asparagus Pasta with Pistachios and Mozzarella (joy the baker, added fresh garden peas)
Wednesday-Homemade Vegetable Lo Mein
Thursday (tonight)-"Pulled" Mushroom BBQ Sandwiches (the artful desperado) with kale salad (smitten kitchen)
Friday-Lentil and Walnut burgers (martha stewart), roasted asparagus, roasted potato wedges

(Hubby got off dinner duty this week because I went to a different class at the gym, but normally Wednesday night would be hasbrowns and eggs, DH's specialty.)

Weekends I cook breakfast Saturday and Sunday. Saturdays during the summer are frittatas with fresh veggies we pick up at the farmer's market that morning. Sundays are banana walnut pancakes with eggs.

Lunch is on our own because we're both usually immersed in some sort of project and just grab something on a break.

Weekend dinner is much like during the week. This Saturday I'm whipping up a batch of chickpea tofu and making our favorite sesame crusted tofu with brown rice and an asian slaw on the side. Sunday is TBD at the moment, but I'm thinking maybe a taco night is overdue!

Mostly organic, mostly from scratch, all delicious, if I do say so myself! :bigsmile:
Meals at your place sound INCREDIBLE!!!!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VC-- yum! Is chickpea tofu a dinner you make or do you make your own tofu using chickpeas (either way, more details please!)

DH asked if we could do steaks soon. So I picked up a 16 pound NY strip for him (the quality is awesome and I can get it for $6/pound in this size instead of $12+/pound in small amounts). My tentative plan is steaks tonight in a Jamaican jerk marinade, roast/potatoes/gravy tomorrow night, French dips Saturday, tacos Monday. Veggies tbd by what looks yummy & fresh.
Going out to dinner just the two of us on Sunday for DH's b-day.

Likely to stick some thin sliced to marinate for stir fry and more in one of my go-to basic marinades for the rest. Just some garlic, red wine, and olive oil to keep the meat good and start penetrating flavors. Yummy as is or easy to modify later with lots of fresh herbs or whatever spicing we want.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1401995638|3687167 said:
VC-- yum! Is chickpea tofu a dinner you make or do you make your own tofu using chickpeas (either way, more details please!)

ckrickett, thanks! If you're ever in SE Michigan, come over for dinner!

TP...chickpea tofu (aka shan tofu) apparently has its origins in Burma and is made with chickpea flour (I use Bob's Red Mill). I found it via pinterest b/c hubby is soy sensitive! It's definitely more like an ultra-firm polenta, but it cubes and fries up pretty well in our favorite recipe. You'll have to let me know if you try it out!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
You sound like amazing cooks, TooPatient and vc (and your husband does too, vc)! I wish I had the patience for it.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient,
I pick the grape leaves from my vine when they are young and tender, in late May or early June. I pick as much as I can before they grow big and tough from the sun.
Then I blanch them quickly in simmering water, to soften them.
I freeze them in packages of 50, in ziplock bags. When I want to make them, I just defrost a package, roll them with a filling of ground beef(or lamb), rice, mint, garlic, and some salt. (This is Syrian style) Add water to cover, with lots of lemon juice and olive oil. Cook on the stovetop for about 45 minutes, till the rice is cooked. Serve with homemade hummus, yogurt and wheat/lentil pilaf.
I have tried the leaves from the jar, and find them to be tough.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results