shape
carat
color
clarity

Starting to look for an OEC

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sandy posted a beauty from Jbeg for another poster. I had to restrain myself from pushing the button on it [only if the person it was posted for doesn't want it] - but it's so early in the game of looking to buy now & be done with the hunt.

I would love to find a really old beautiful diamond. It can even be out of round, tons of color, chipped girdle, all that stuff. I want one that screams "AGE!"...and has a beautiful facet pattern...and great light performance.
in the 1.25-1.75ct range.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm-m-m
I guess I needed to post this as a question rather than a statement of intent.
Where is a good place to look for really antique stones?
Aside from the places we know about here.
Would it be good to go looking in antique stores, pawn shops, etc. or it is pretty much understood even off PS that these diamonds are highly desirable?

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
I found my stone at a local antique jewelry store. With any vendor just make sure you can negotiate a return period and immediately get an independent appraisal. If you are in nyc then totally go to OWD. They probably have the biggest inventory out there (although many think their prices are high).

klokkeblomst

Rough_Rock
Where I live, it depends on the store. We have a shop that is "famous" for antique diamonds. They are all uncerted and in their settings and (I believe) really overpriced. You're paying for a branded experience there.

Pawn shops are hit or miss. I think they usually have things priced too high, but may be willing to haggle way down, especially if you are paying in cash. I've seen ones that appear to overvalue and ones that undervalue OECs.

Estate jewelers can be a nice middle ground. I think you'll be able to figure out what's happening in your location by looking at a few of these types of stores, asking about cash discounts, taking pictures, and asking for advice here.

I think seeing an OEC in person is really important. They are just too full of personality to tell much in other contexts.

What price range and stone specs are you trying for?

Edited to add: I've been eyeing this stone for a while (out of my budget though - I'd love to see someone else get it!) The facet pattern looks really pretty. http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/old-miner-cut/1.50-carat-k-color-vs2-clarity-sku-302827

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Erica (Love Affair Diamonds) just picked up a bunch of GORGEOUS stones at JCK. I'd check with her.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Jimmi - that girl bought that OEC 6 months ago! She's not going to buy another one, I just wanted to show her what a good one REALLY looks like. :lol: If you like it, jump on it!

You and I are thinking alike you know....I want one too, except I want it for earrings. I spoke to Grace the week before the JCK and she was going to hunt for a pair for me. Maybe you should call over there and see what she picked up before it goes online. I'll keep my eyes open if I see anything to your specs. It's unfortunate this site doesn't have PMing. Posting it can be like advertising for someone else to buy it.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Hudson_Hawk and SandyinAnaheim- Erica(love affair diamonds) and Grace(jewels by grace) are both great options. I have purchased from both of them, they are wonderful to work with and are great at helping you find what you want.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, all.

and great suggestion, Sandy, to contact her before she posts those new stones to her website.

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Exciting indeed. I look forward to following your journey Jimmi!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update:
I'm communicating with Erica and she has sent me photos of some possible diamonds. I now realize that I know less than nothing about choosing an OEC, so please bear with me.

My first questions:

How big does the stone have to be to enjoy the faceting - does it show at all without magnification?

Do I want GIA only?

Should I spend all the budget on a loose stone and worry about a setting later?

She has one that I love, but it's only around 1.2ct. It is not GIA. and it is set already.

I would like to find something gorgeous like...DS's for instance. I don't know anyone else's diamond off-hand.
I want a beautiful "flower", pastel, clear looking.

thanks for any enlightenment!

D

Deactivated member 42515

Jimmianne said:
Update:
I'm communicating with Erica and she has sent me photos of some possible diamonds. I now realize that I know less than nothing about choosing an OEC, so please bear with me.

My first questions:

How big does the stone have to be to enjoy the faceting - does it show at all without magnification?

Do I want GIA only?

She has one that I love, but it's only around 1.2ct. It is not GIA. and it is set already.

I would like to find something gorgeous like...DS's for instance. I don't know anyone else's diamond off-hand.

You say you want a stone like DS's. Does that mean you want an AVR now instead of a true antique?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MollyMalone|1402413226|3690069 said:

excellent - these look very helpful. Thanks!
I'll study these.

I want a stone like DS's with the imperfections of age & wear.
Or...I could be quite happy with DS's stone :lol:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jimmianne|1402408460|3690040 said:
Update:

My first questions:

Bigger is better with old cuts. To really see the faceting you need to get over the 7mm mark if you can, and every extra tenth of a millimeter above that also helps!

Do I want GIA only?
If you are buying from a retailer, not an estate seller or private seller, then yes, I would prefer a GIA report. A reliable report from Dave Atlas might also be ok with me. EGL is less reliable and harder to compare pricing. But many OECs do not have papers. Mine does not. It is harder to evaluate pricing in that context, obviously.

I prefer completed pieces because settings are so hard to envision on the hand. And I like true vintage mounts over modern ones for old cuts.

The optical precision and perfection of DS's AVR will be exceptionaly hard to find in a true antique. There are some similar old cuts out there, but few and far between. The issue is not the girdle damage and such that you have mentioned being ok with... it is the methods of cutting from 100 years ago, and the skill of the cutters, was very different. Most old cuts are imperfect optically in some way. But you can find a similar flavour to DS's stone. Its a very classic Europen Cut look

If you want something that screams OLD though, I would look for an Old Mine Cut or an older style OEC. The faceting is so much different than a modern diamond that the antiquity is obvious even in the half carat size.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Dreamer D.
I like the irregularity of antiquity! [and I also love the AVRs - maybe next time :lol: ]

The old OEC I'm looking at is just at the 7mm mark, and it's EGL.
It has a pretty pattern and is reputed to be lively.
So wish me luck that it turns out to be a keeper. img_7733__31333.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1402574555|3691488 said:
Thanks, Dreamer D.
I like the irregularity of antiquity! [and I also love the AVRs - maybe next time :lol: ]

The old OEC I'm looking at is just at the 7mm mark, and it's EGL.
It has a pretty pattern and is reputed to be lively.
So wish me luck that it turns out to be a keeper.

Good luck... I hope it turns out to be the diamond of your dreams Jimmianne!

IMO there's nothing that beats a true antique diamond. Perfection is nice and all but give me an authentic, unique and lively old cut with big chunky facets any day. But that's what makes PS so engaging pun not intended ;-). It's the variety that speaks to us all in a different way. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and hoping your new beauty does it for you. :love:

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Jimmianne|1401894973|3686343 said:
Sandy posted a beauty from Jbeg for another poster. I had to restrain myself from pushing the button on it [only if the person it was posted for doesn't want it] - but it's so early in the game of looking to buy now & be done with the hunt.

I would love to find a really old beautiful diamond. It can even be out of round, tons of color, chipped girdle, all that stuff. I want one that screams "AGE!"...and has a beautiful facet pattern...and great light performance.
in the 1.25-1.75ct range.

I am envious! It's so much fun to start the search for an old stone. Because my sweet spot is old mine cuts, I'm sharing with you a ring I found a few years back. It's a 1.40 carat stone, set in platinum with channel set diamonds. The stone appears round from a distance, but up close, you can clearly make out the old mine cut shape of a cushion. The setting is circa 1940's. Si1 I/J. It faces up white, and the inclusion is invisible at 10X. If you want more photos just let me know.

It's very difficult with GIA and old cuts. It depends on who you get for your grading, but some will simply not cite it as an old cut, or if they do, they may call it a mine brilliant, or a Euro or more recently a "circular" brilliant. There is zero consistency. I have found EGL (NY only) better for grading my mine cut stones but I literally have to sit there and watch them grade, which can cost you a little more.

Expect some color with a mine cut if you go this route, but if you select well, it will in no way diminish the integrity of your stone.

Knowing where to go for an old stone is as important is knowing how to buy. Make sure you find current market pricing. Pricing is very transparent these days. I find many conventional jewelers will try to sell an old cut for the same as a modern cut. Be careful to not let that happen.

Good luck!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, RandG.

I'm getting a ring from Erica at Loveaffair, and the funny thing is that when another PSer was considering it recently I had commented in his thread about how much I liked it =)
I figured I could either wait and go on a frenzied search while my life continues to revolve around diamond hunting, or I could choose one I love right now that is readily available, have my collection complete [for now] and get back to the mundane world where there is much to do that is NOT about diamonds :lol:
I've been a bad girl for much too long and it's time to buckle down and get off the computer [and out of the shops]!

http://loveaffairdiamonds.smugmug.com/Vintage-Rings/120ct-Old-European-Cut-Diamond/

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Jimmianne|1402656288|3692244 said:
Thank you, RandG.

I'm getting a ring from Erica at Loveaffair, and the funny thing is that when another PSer was considering it recently I had commented in his thread about how much I liked it =)
I figured I could either wait and go on a frenzied search while my life continues to revolve around diamond hunting, or I could choose one I love right now that is readily available, have my collection complete [for now] and get back to the mundane world where there is much to do that is NOT about diamonds :lol:
I've been a bad girl for much too long and it's time to buckle down and get off the computer [and out of the shops]!

http://loveaffairdiamonds.smugmug.com/Vintage-Rings/120ct-Old-European-Cut-Diamond/

Great choice! And very similar to the one I posted-- we will be twins! When you know, you know. I only bought from Erica once, and it was a perfect experience! Can't wait for the big reveal!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
RandG|1402657962|3692254 said:
Thank you, RandG.

Great choice! And very similar to the one I posted-- we will be twins! When you know, you know. I only bought from Erica once, and it was a perfect experience! Can't wait for the big reveal!

Since your diamond is larger :love: and the setting is more "substantial" in the side view, I am flattered that you would consider mine a twin!
yay! twin! :appl:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the stone Jimmianne.. it's a keeper.. congratulations.

Thank you, RandG.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Tekate.
It was so easy to decide on with the photos from Erica - and the advice here [and threads about it]. I found that once I started to trust the PS methods =) : )
diamond buying got almost too easy :lol:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that stone is just what you described! It will be lovely in person.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1402701223|3692741 said:
I think that stone is just what you described! It will be lovely in person.

Thanks Dreamer_D :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohh, can't wait to see what you think when you get it! The diamond does look really nice! Thanks, also, for the nice comments about my diamond! I wish it was about 5 cts so I could really enjoy the facets even more! :lol:

I will say this, though, there are superior cut OEC's around. I think there are some people here who have really nicely cut stones. Even though they didn't have the knowledge on cut back then, there were great and badly cut stones even then. I have seen pictures of antique Tiffany rings with superior cut old stones so I know they exist. But it is just like the rb's of today....a select few are the cut quality we are accustomed to seeing here, and the majority are not all that well cut. All that is to say, I hope this diamond is the one of your dreams! But if not, send it back and wait until you find one that is really outstanding. A lot of girls here had to order or look at multiple OEC's before finding their dream stone...and Dreamer's is a great example!

Here's one of the Tiffany rings I have saved, not the greatest view of the stone, but I think it is a nice one. I have seen some better ones in Tiffany earrings, too, but don't have the picture.

tiffany1939a.jpg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1402715282|3692893 said:
Ohh, can't wait to see what you think when you get it! The diamond does look really nice! Thanks, also, for the nice comments about my diamond! I wish it was about 5 cts so I could really enjoy the facets even more! :lol:

I will say this, though, there are superior cut OEC's around. I think there are some people here who have really nicely cut stones. Even though they didn't have the knowledge on cut back then, there were great and badly cut stones even then. I have seen pictures of antique Tiffany rings with superior cut old stones so I know they exist. But it is just like the rb's of today....a select few are the cut quality we are accustomed to seeing here, and the majority are not all that well cut. All that is to say, I hope this diamond is the one of your dreams! But if not, send it back and wait until you find one that is really outstanding. A lot of girls here had to order or look at multiple OEC's before finding their dream stone...and Dreamer's is a great example!

Here's one of the Tiffany rings I have saved, not the greatest view of the stone, but I think it is a nice one. I have seen some better ones in Tiffany earrings, too, but don't have the picture.

You're welcome. I'll be more than happy to adopt it when you get your 5ct :lol:
[Some day you will have to explain how you survived that recent shopping trip without contracting serious diamond fever!]

Thanks yet again for your words of wisdom.
I chose that OEC for facet pattern, balanced with price and size & I liked the regularity of the "sides" in the culet. I didn't see anything larger that spoke to me that was under about 10K. [self-imposed rule].
Even after all my reading I am not sure what constitutes an outstanding OEC and how I will tell. It is all about light performance?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are travelling fast Jimmiane!! The ring looks gorgeous on the pic :love:
So, I hope you love it when you see it.

A gorgeous carre cut AND and an beautiful OEC :love: . You will have a lovely collection.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1402750603|3693075 said:
You are travelling fast Jimmiane!! The ring looks gorgeous on the pic :love:
So, I hope you love it when you see it.

A gorgeous carre cut AND and an beautiful OEC :love: . You will have a lovely collection.

I know! [about the fast moves] I had planned to space out the acquisitions over time and wait until Christmas for an OEC, but then decided it didn't make sense to make myself wait----- just to wait. Life is short! :lol:

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
It stunning! When I was purchasing my oec, Yours was one option. I loved the setting, but I ended up EGL 1.35 L vs1. Here is a shot where Yours is in middle finger, mine is middle one on ring finger. Enjoy Your pretty :appl: I know You'll love it!

_19173.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results