carat
color
clarity

Scenes from JCK 2014

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1401877086|3686210 said:
Wow! Who would have guessed that? The resemblance is definitely there but I would have never connected those dots!

Two Pollards on board to help - what a blessing! We're all learning together Brian - it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance!

Absolutely! Thank goodness you guys are related, otherwise that resemblance would be a little freaky LOL!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamond_Hawk|1401874157|3686194 said:
diamondseeker2006|1401852848|3686088 said:
denverappraiser|1401836070|3685943 said:
brian_b2c_0.jpg
Brian from B2C Jewels.

Brian from B2C is John Pollard's brother!!!!! I didn't know that!!!

DiamondSeeker,

Yes indeed. I mentioned it in my first-ever post here: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-vs2-i-vs-si1-h.200526/#post-3650250#p3650250

<< Long-time members will know my brother, John Pollard, who is well-known in the industry for many years. I should definitely thank him for introducing me to diamonds and encouraging me as I pursued involvement here (thanks bro!). With that said, I know he casts a long shadow here and elsewhere in the trade so he will forgive me if I want to stand on my own.>>

I do want to stand on my own, but it was very nice, at the party, to be able to make connections to people by virtue of my name. Everyone has been very welcoming. It’s an exciting community and I am having a blast participating here.

So, for my part, I will happily discuss, agree, disagree, be enlightened, laugh, educate, and contribute to the great community here - who knows, maybe someday in a post here on PS someone will ask, "Now isn't Diamond_Hawk's brother also in the trade?" [not holding my breath] :D
TWO Pollards on one board? That's amazing!

I'm sure if you ever come around here with your brother and there's Dewey's involved, you'll get a disclaimer in advance of "beware that crazy redhead and her atomic monocle."

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Brian, I just checked that thread and saw your post was the last, so that sort of indicates that few or none of us saw it or we would have commented! We certainly will allow you to stand on your own, but when someone new comes here, we have no idea about who they really are. I have known John for the 8 years I have been here, and he has many friends and much respect on the board, so knowing you are his brother is certainly a good association as a beginning!

I guess I had not looked at it that way - obviously when I posted, I didn’t know that post would end the thread - but was quietly happy that no one made a fuss. Maybe it’s my upbringing, but I don’t try to get “street cred” by association - I prefer to earn it if I can. I even asked my brother not to create a “welcome” post. For that matter I still want to earn my wings (haha) so please don’t hesitate to call out any missteps with gentle correction or suggestion - I have huge respect for the many community members with experience and continue to grow in my knowledge base with interaction and observation on PS.

All that being said, since the 'diamond bug' bit me several years ago you can imagine how nice it has been over family holidays and weekend outings to get a one-on-one education in the business. In that spirit I should publicly thank John for all of the help he’s provided from answering my eternal questions to letting me accompany him to Antwerp and introducing me to key people in the business (as well as several stunning Belgian beers!).

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamond_Hawk|1401897640|3686373 said:
Brian, I just checked that thread and saw your post was the last, so that sort of indicates that few or none of us saw it or we would have commented! We certainly will allow you to stand on your own, but when someone new comes here, we have no idea about who they really are. I have known John for the 8 years I have been here, and he has many friends and much respect on the board, so knowing you are his brother is certainly a good association as a beginning!

I guess I had not looked at it that way - obviously when I posted, I didn’t know that post would end the thread - but was quietly happy that no one made a fuss. Maybe it’s my upbringing, but I don’t try to get “street cred” by association - I prefer to earn it if I can. I even asked my brother not to create a “welcome” post. For that matter I still want to earn my wings (haha) so please don’t hesitate to call out any missteps with gentle correction or suggestion - I have huge respect for the many community members with experience and continue to grow in my knowledge base with interaction and observation on PS.

All that being said, since the 'diamond bug' bit me several years ago you can imagine how nice it has been over family holidays and weekend outings to get a one-on-one education in the business. In that spirit I should publicly thank John for all of the help he’s provided from answering my eternal questions to letting me accompany him to Antwerp and introducing me to key people in the business (as well as several stunning Belgian beers!).
Hawk, just a little insider tip if I may: You'll get more street cred if you become a Houston Texan's fan. Sure, everyone loves a Super Bowl champ. But only real fans can endure a 2 and 14 season and still be solid. Think about it. I really believe it will help your reputation here.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hawk, just a little insider tip if I may: You'll get more street cred if you become a Houston Texan's fan. Sure, everyone loves a Super Bowl champ. But only real fans can endure a 2 and 14 season and still be solid. Think about it. I really believe it will help your reputation here.
Uh-oh. Prepare for a 14-page thread.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brian's amazing, guys. He taught me all these weird tricks to playing pool. I mean, I still suck, and I don't think I'll ever put all of that stuff to use since I don't frequent pool halls, but I learned how to booty tooch and aim for specific spots in order to be competitive (and sexy?). He's not just useful for diamond stuff :bigsmile: He is SO funny. Thanks for keeping me company when everyone decided their cellphones were more fun, Brian :wavey: Hope I taught you something, as well. Asian glow?

Melissa: I have flagged our pic to admin. Sorry :(sad I don't feel comfortable with my face on a public forum, though I don't mind it being shared more privately via FB and such! You were such an amazing person to meet IRL. Thank you so much for finishing my game for me, and for grabbing me a drink! You're so sweet!!! I was chatting about you with Enerchi even while still in Vegas! I know she's awaiting a call from you soon ;)) :naughty:

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I even asked my brother not to create a “welcome” post.
So... I can talk about you now?

First subject: Seattle Seahawk comments will sidetrack any active topic.

The community has been warned.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
John Pollard|1401898668|3686386 said:

Even more than "booty tooch" comments?

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
madelise|1401898554|3686384 said:
Hope I taught you something, as well. Asian glow?

Indeed you did!

Though, as I highlighted this quote, I was thinking maybe I should just +1 this:

Brian's amazing, guys.

:D

Now - on to Bryan's post....

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Texas Leaguer|1401898938|3686392 said:
I'm not sure. I don't recall learning that in the JCK seminars on light performance.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Texas Leaguer|1401898938|3686392 said:
John Pollard|1401898668|3686386 said:

Yes, as the over protective Grand Fatherly type, I must know what a "booty tooch" is to know if you are corrupting the next generation or indeed teaching them something that they can use respectfully?

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JuneBug,

I just read your tag line:

Dear whatever doesn't kill me,
I'm strong enough now.
Thanks.

Now that I have stopped laughing I gotta say, I LOVE IT!

Wink

D

Deactivated member 42515

Seahawks rule!

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Melissa: I have flagged our pic to admin. Sorry :(sad I don't feel comfortable with my face on a public forum, though I don't mind it being shared more privately via FB and such! You were such an amazing person to meet IRL. Thank you so much for finishing my game for me, and for grabbing me a drink! You're so sweet!!! I was chatting about you with Enerchi even while still in Vegas! I know she's awaiting a call from you soon ;)) :naughty:

I should have asked you first, so I apologize for not doing so. You looked so gorgeous at the GTG! It was wonderful getting to chat with you there. :wavey:

Even though I'm still re-cooperating, I can't wait to do it again next year! :bigsmile:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Winks_Elf|1401895997|3686349 said:
The absolute highlight of my experience was the very last night we were there. Nothing fancy, just a quiet evening spent with Peter Yantzer, Andre and Linh, John Pollard, Brian Pollard, Lieve Peters, and Wink. It felt like my christening into the world of diamonds.
I didn't save any photographic evidence to document it but I'm pretty sure I was there too.

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
YT|1401900230|3686411 said:
Seahawks rule!

I hope Richard Sherman can make it to my wedding. I invited him.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
denverappraiser|1401902903|3686452 said:
I didn't save any photographic evidence to document it but I'm pretty sure I was there too.
There's a reason she didn't remember Neil. Peter was very illuminating that evening. Those of us on stools from 45-75 degrees relative to him were quite visible. Wink was sitting down in his chair, at around 25 degrees, but was still illuminated plus his shirt was pretty memorable. Meanwhile you were in the far chair. You're very tall and at 75+ degrees you became obscured and blended with the contrast pattern. I had to look hard to see you. And I used a loupe.

(Also, schrodinger's cat sent me a quantumly-entangled SMS that told me you were there.)

Good times.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The absolute highlight of my experience was the very last night we were there. Nothing fancy, just a quiet evening spent with Peter Yantzer, Andre and Linh, John Pollard, Brian Pollard, Lieve Peters, and Wink. It felt like my christening into the world of diamonds.

And thus the danger in listing names! You were indeed there and part of the delightful conversations as well.

Sure Melissa, just forget one of the top appraisers in the world! Not that he will hold it against you, maybe...

Wink

P.S. You better hook up with Schrodingers cat to stay entangled with John and Neil, those are some VERY quantum dudes!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
John Pollard|1401903750|3686459 said:
There's a reason she didn't remember Neil. Peter was very illuminating that evening. Those of us on stools from 45-75 degrees relative to him were quite visible. Wink was sitting down in his chair, at around 25 degrees, but was still illuminated plus his shirt was pretty memorable. Meanwhile you were in the far chair. You're very tall and at 75+ degrees you became obscured and blended with the contrast pattern. I had to look hard to see you. And I used a loupe.

(Also, schrodinger's cat sent me a quantumly-entangled SMS that told me you were there.)

Good times.

:lol:

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Names withheld to protect the innocent. :naughty:

Teasing aside, I met so many people and am HORRIBLE with names. I will remember faces and jewelery, even stock numbers, but names I am seriously bad at.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Wink|1401904008|3686460 said:

And thus the danger in listing names! You were indeed there and part of the delightful conversations as well.

Sure Melissa, just forget one of the top appraisers in the world! Not that he will hold it against you, maybe...

Wink

P.S. You better hook up with Schrodingers cat to stay entangled with John and Neil, those are some VERY quantum dudes!

Not only was Neil there that last night, but I also enjoyed conversations several times, including at the PS GTG, AND he bought me a beer that last day after we got done hoofing the trade floors. A true gentleman, and a delight to converse with!

egg_on_my_face.jpg

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Texas Leaguer|1401898261|3686379 said:

I appreciate the advice! You are a true Houston Texan's fan.. but One 2-14 season... one? one you say? ... please see this graphic:

Seahawks Record - Franchise:

Before we start talking 'cred' as a fan... please examine the misery under which I lived for year upon year upon year, never losing faith... I remember the AFC championship in 83-84 as a highlight of my childhood... but the holding call, pass interference call and subsequent (4 years later) apology from the officials in SuperBowl XL:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/06/four-years-later-bill-leavy-apologizes-to-seahawks/

was both disheartening and vindicating... the superbowl win this year was like a release of built up tension (like an earth-quake in fact) so I have a glow when I talk about it and I cannot keep from smiling. It may never again happen so my long-years of suffering do, indeed, gain me street cred as a fan, I think. Interesting note - the one year Seattle went 2-14 they had the best defensive player in the league (Cortez Kennedy) - earily similar to your JJ Watt this past year. I also admire and respect your devotion to the team that did, indeed go 2-14... but with both Clowney and Watt - they will not repeat that record I suspect.

Perhaps we have thread-jacked a bit here... so, I leave you with a 'show me the (championship) bling' moment:

:appl:
:appl:

NOTE: This is a picture of a fan-replica ring .. Perhaps a new thread can emerge regarding actual championship rings - I believe Jostens is the typical source for championship rings.. who else has supplied them? Who picks and places the diamonds? <--- keepin' it "RockyTalky" :wink2:

seahawks_years_and_records.jpg

seahawk_sbowl_ring.jpg

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamond_Hawk|1401910679|3686530 said:

I appreciate the advice! You are a true Houston Texan's fan.. but One 2-14 season... one? one you say? ... please see this graphic:
Point well made Hawk. You have suffered long and now you are delivered. Truth be told, my brother and family live in Seattle and the Hawks are my second favorite team. The Seahawks were about the only thing that kept the season interesting for me after about the third week of the season! So I will forgive you and Erika and YT for your immodest posts provided y'all promise to adopt the Texans as your second favorite team. Agreed?

D

Deactivated member 42515

bryan.boyne.gg said:
Diamond_Hawk|1401910679|3686530 said:

Point well made Hawk. You have suffered long and now you are delivered. Truth be told, my brother and family live in Seattle and the Hawks are my second favorite team. The Seahawks were about the only thing that kept the season interesting for me after about the third week of the season! So I will forgive you and Erika and YT for your immodest posts provided y'all promise to adopt the Texans as your second favorite team. Agreed?

Ha! You're so generous as to forgive us for loving the Seahawks!

I do seem to have an open slot for a second favorite team... Can't think of a team to take it's place... Texans, you say? :)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any questions on what a booty touch is should be directed at Brian. He has an amazing example. Selfies of booty are encouraged here, right? :lol:

M: don't worry about it ;)) glad you got to edit your post. gracias!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just got home! What a hoot!!! I have 115 pictures from that night. :rodent: I don't know if I have the patience to upload them 1 at a time here. Am I able to link an album?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results